• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
FH5 doesnt have to revolutionize the gameplay but it would be incredible that next to cars you can ride bikes.

would make the character customization more meaningful since you barely see them now but on a bike would become way more visible

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
FH5 doesnt have to revolutionize the gameplay but it would be incredible that next to cars you can ride bikes.

would make the character customization more meaningful since you barely see them now but on a bike would become way more visible

I just want a PGR progression mode with city tracks. Even if it's just DLC. Have to earn enough kudos to unlock the next thing.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Those would be two big-time/recognizable studios. Bringing an existing, established Japanese IP or two exclusively to Xbox would be a nice addition(s) to drive engagement.

I'm definitely team Japanese studio, but I'm also team partnerships with publishers, which I think is a great place to drive engagement. Add two or three Japanese studios to the stable, give them creative freedom and whatever resources they need to create great exclusives, and cut some deals with Level-5 and Nihon Falcom to get series like Yokai Watch, Inazuma Eleven Ni No Kuni and Legend of Heroes to Xbox and X-Cloud. Those two things together would seriously level the field.

Nov 23, 2018
I'm definitely team Japanese studio, but I'm also team partnerships with publishers, which I think is a great place to drive engagement. Add two or three Japanese studios to the stable, give them creative freedom and whatever resources they need to create great exclusives, and cut some deals with Level-5 and Nihon Falcom to get series like Yokai Watch, Inazuma Eleven Ni No Kuni and Legend of Heroes to Xbox and X-Cloud. Those two things together would seriously level the field.
Makes a lot of sense to me.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Actually worried about the Launch lineup, only Halo Infinite can sell consoles from that list. They need FH5 instead of FH8 and another BIG reveal, atleast 3 console sellers in the first 6 months.
MS could launch with just Infinite, and Scarlett would still have an extremely successful launch. Anything else is gravy. If anything they should take a page from Nintendo's playbook with the Switch, by not frontloading their release but delivering a gradual but steady cadence of system sellers, ensuring a constant spot in the headlines.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite how unlikely it is, if MS were to acquire Platinum, it would plug in so many holes in MS first party line-up.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Despite how unlikely it is, if MS were to acquire Platinum, it would plug in so many holes in MS first party line-up.

I'd rather they acquire a JRPG developer that could helm the Blue Dragon series. It is by far their most valuable Japanese IP if they are looking to get the attention of gamers there.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather they acquire a JRPG developer that could helm the Blue Dragon series. It is by far their most valuable Japanese IP if they are looking to get the attention of gamers there.
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are dead. Any Japanese studio MS acquire should be forging their own identity. That is unless, of course, MS acquires Mistwalker and they can get Toriyama to continue Blue Dragon.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I try very hard to like FPS games but there is something extremely immersion breaking about walking around aiming your weapon at all times. If The Outer Worlds get a sequel I hope they give the option to play in 3rd person like Fallout.

I get that most of the time movement can be a little wonky if the game wasn't intended to be played like that but I'd rather deal with that than to not try the game at all.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
No, that settlement 2 mission was BEFORE Gears 4, they mentioned it but was never impotant to the plot, until now, for me it was like that Budapest mission between Barton and Natasha in The Avengers.
But maybe that will play a bigger role, i imagine something like The COG letting outsiders to die or something like that.
That would be a very good prologue mission, i was expecting a mission with Del and JD in the Gears academy, meeting Kait inside the faculty when she tries yo steal something, but Settlement 2 mission sounds better.
i know about Settlement 2 , and i'm not talking about after Gears 4 Del and DJ did that mission for Jinn aftre there return to the COG

Oct 26, 2018
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are dead. Any Japanese studio MS acquire should be forging their own identity. That is unless, of course, MS acquires Mistwalker and they can get Toriyama to continue Blue Dragon.
Nothing is dead, as you see by destroy all human coming back, plus crash/spyro. By your logic banjo is dead, and we've all saw the banjo-kazooie reaction announcement for smash

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
FH5 doesn't need an revolution or anything. The gameplay formula has been proven incredibly fun and successful. New location, a few new key features and you have another hit. I feel like people demanding huge changes to FH don't really play the series. FH is more successful than ever. Also it's not like FH doesn't evolve already from game to game. The seasons feature in FH4 alone is huge and something no other racing game does in this scope.

I disagree. After 3 games with a very similar formula (2-4), it's time to make some more significant changes. Or else I really do think the franchise will stagnate and lose momentum in a hurry.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is dead, as you see by destroy all human coming back, plus crash/spyro. By your logic banjo is dead, and we've all saw the banjo-kazooie reaction announcement for smash
Just because I said something is dead doesn't mean it can't be resurrected. LOL. Oh and Banjo is dead. Don't let MS letting Nintendo borrow his corpse for Smash fool you.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I disagree. After 3 games with a very similar formula (2-4), it's time to make some more significant changes. Or else I really do think the franchise will stagnate and lose momentum in a hurry.
Horizon with a new location each sequel is fine, however I feel there should only be one Forza Motorsport next gen with annual updates and expansions. They need to introduce a new type of Forza racing game as well to offset the loss of a Motorsport sequel.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Really? I didn't feel that way at all. I recently played both for the first time - both excellent games, but I preferred #2. The games had similarly weak stories and very good graphics.
See, the thing I greatly enjoyed about the Gears campaigns is how simple they keep the overall story, but adding so much more character depth and improving the scale of the setpieces itself.

I still remember the first time being inside that Riftworm in Gears 2..... I went to church right afterward and I couldn't wait to get out and get back to the campaign haha. Gears 2, as a standalone story I feel is stronger than Gears 3, but Gears 3's story works better put into context with the series. Dom, Adam, and the Locust all had some crazy moments that made them shine. Not to mention some of the extra world building with Griffin's story, Cole's history, etc.

Can't wait for Gears 5.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018

I can't speak for Microsoft, but I think they have enough business sense to comprehend how valuable those IPs are..... especially Blue Dragon which is very much their own Dragon Quest. If they plan to get the attention of Japanese gamers, they can't simply buy a Japanese studio and have them put out whatever they were working on and expect to gain some ground there. It isn't so much about giving the studio an identity, it is about giving Xbox an identity in Japan.

With that, they should examine the strongest Japanese IPs they have already built instead of just starting from scratch. I mean they are extremely behind in Japan....

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't speak for Microsoft, but I think they have enough business sense to comprehend how valuable those IPs are..... especially Blue Dragon which is very much their own Dragon Quest. If they plan to get the attention of Japanese gamers, they can't simply buy a Japanese studio and have them put out whatever they were working on and expect to gain some ground there. It isn't so much about giving the studio an identity, it is about giving Xbox an identity in Japan.

With that, they should examine the strongest Japanese IPs they have already built instead of just starting from scratch. I mean they are extremely behind in Japan....
You're vastly overestimating the value of Blue Dragon as an IP and still thinking in the past about MS gaining ground in Japan. Xbox already has their global future vision and they're going all in to make it a reality.

Jun 22, 2018
Out of nowhere:

Xbox should license the Parasite Eve IP (I believe the author currently owns all rights, but I could be wrong), then work with someone, maybe even Square to reboot the game series.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
You're vastly overestimating the value of Blue Dragon as an IP and still thinking in the past about MS gaining ground in Japan. Xbox already has their global future vision and they're going all in to make it a reality.

Blue Dragon is by far their biggest Japanese IP and has tons of potential. Don't mistake how the mid-life 360 Xbox division jumped ship and went all in where they thought the money was for Xbox into thinking the IP has no value. And this gen was an utter mess for Xbox so no way they could have focused on it since they were picking up their mess for years.

And I don't think you understand how Xbox having no presence in Japan is still a barrier for them and many developers there. It doesn't matter if they no longer care about hardware sales, they still have a lot of ground to make up... unless you think Japanese gamers will suddenly go crazy for Xbox the moment they can stream the games to their phones. That's just not how it works, they have to invest in the region if they want that audience to care for their brand or even be aware it exists.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blue Dragon is by far their biggest Japanese IP and has tons of potential. Don't mistake how the mid-life 360 Xbox division jumped ship and went all in where they thought the money was for Xbox into thinking the IP has no value. And this gen was an utter mess for Xbox so no way they could have focused on it since they were picking up their mess for years.

And I don't think you understand how Xbox having no presence in Japan is still a barrier for them and many developers there. It doesn't matter if they no longer care about hardware sales, they still have a lot of ground to make up... unless you think Japanese gamers will suddenly go crazy for Xbox the moment they can stream the games to their phones. That's just not how it works, they have to invest in the region if they want that audience to care for their brand or even be aware it exists.
Blue Dragon is dead. Let the past die. MS buying or creating a Japanese studio would be them investing in the region. Something they should've done a long time ago.

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If they did manage to snag 2 or 3 Japanese studios... They may even start showing stuff at TGS again... That would be incredible.

I'm still holding out hope that they'll show up at TGS this year, not too late to announce. I think even just showing up, exhibiting X Cloud and doing some developer centric talks about Game Stack would really help show they aren't done. Ideally I'd love to see a bunch of third party announcements and a Japanese Xbox Global Publishing game or two, maybe even some studio announcements, but I'd be happy with anything really.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Blue Dragon is dead. Let the past die. MS buying or creating a Japanese studio would be them investing in the region. Something they should've done a long time ago.

I dunno about all that, Blue Dragon was the highest selling 360 game in Japan period, and there's still love for Sakaguchi out there. Like yes, I'd prefer some cool new stuff, but never underestimate the power of reviving and old IP, I mean just look at Shenmue. If it's done well enough to stand on its own, combined with some minor nostalgia for the first game, Blue Dragon could become one of the Xbox brands in Japan.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about all that, Blue Dragon was the highest selling 360 game in Japan period, and there's still love for Sakaguchi out there. Like yes, I'd prefer some cool new stuff, but never underestimate the power of reviving and old IP, I mean just look at Shenmue. If it's done well enough to stand on its own, combined with some minor nostalgia for the first game, Blue Dragon could become one of the Xbox brands in Japan.
Do you realistically see MS reviving that IP? MS didn't even attempt to make a sequel for the 360 back then but instead relegated the IP to small budgeted NDS games.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
People are too quick to kill off an ip
People are also too slow to move on from dead IPs. I never wanna hear about crackdown for another 10 years. Blue Dragon isn't even a series most people know about, I didn't even know about the GBA games. It was an okay reviewed game that is over a decade old and sold mediocrely when the Xbox brand was doing its best in Japan.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I just want an actual story like Forza Horizon 1 had. Like, develop that instead of throwing away to some weird ego masturbatory non-story string of voiceovers like in FH2. I really liked how you didn't just progress a number, but also in how people talked to you. It was really well done in my opinion, and really felt like I'd completed something when I beat the final race. It wasn't this amazing sweeping story, but it didn't need to be, but by contrast you've got FH2 which just...do race after race after race with the same hamfisted nothing praise heaped upon you over and over until you get to a race that takes you over like a third of the map I guess? Like it's just so soulless.

I wanted them to expand on that curated but free design philosophy they had with FH1 and they've just gone in the opposite direction :/

Oct 26, 2018
People are also too slow to move on from dead IPs. I never wanna hear about crackdown for another 10 years. Blue Dragon isn't even a series most people know about, I didn't even know about the GBA games. It was an okay reviewed game that is over a decade old and sold mediocrely when the Xbox brand was doing its best in Japan.
Firstly, it was the ds, not gba. Secondly, an ip can be revitalized, obviously there are fans of the series who want the story continued. By your logic, god of war, fable, tomb raider, perfect dark,, etc. Shouldn't get/gotten new games because they were dead/ left dormant for yrs. Just because you don't see the reason for an ip to come back, doesn't mean there isn't a group of people that do. Hell, crackdown 3 was damn near. made only for the real hardcore fans of the series. Medievil for ps too.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Did they say at GamesCom they would talk XO19 Dates/Times/Costing? The fact it is in london is fantastic.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Firstly, it was the ds, not gba. Secondly, an ip can be revitalized, obviously there are fans of the series who want the story continued. By your logic, god of war, fable, tomb raider, perfect dark,, etc. Shouldn't get/gotten new games because they were dead/ left dormant for yrs. Just because you don't see the reason for an ip to come back, doesn't mean there isn't a group of people that do. Hell, crackdown 3 was damn near. made only for the real hardcore fans of the series. Medievil for ps too.
And games like TLOU, Horizon would have been canned for Jak and Killzone sequels. Look at Ghosts of Tsushima. They could have made another infamous game but they didn't.

If an IP holds little value why not start new. There is too much attachment to old IPs.

As for Blue Dragon, you think making a sequel or reboot to a 10 year old mediocre selling game is the best use of money and developers for what seems to be an attempt at the Japanese audience lol?

Crackdown 3 prob shouldn't have been made tbh. I didn't even hate the game but looking at its sales and reception it likely was a financial loss and the series is likely dead now for a long time.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
I don't know what they're making, neither do you. I have no interest in a MP only title but I don't know what they're doing, ms got plenty of things going on and have game pass and Xbox game preview, if they wanted assistance during development, I could see them putting it out there in preview and expanding it, the same with any of their studios if it fit what they were doing.

Plenty of people have speculated what they're doing but no one knows.

I think Compulsions issue was that they had to do it for the progress of the game, I can see Devs choosing to do it, if the sort of game they're making fits that style of release.

I merely presented a specific scenario that I could envisage if the ducks lined up. It does depend on what exactly they're actually making, which should be obvious

I don't need to know what Initiative is making to know Game Preview is out of the question. That's a world class team that are doing something big. There's not a remote possibility their game will debut in Early Access before it hits the market.

Building a team like that is not a cheap venture. You can bet good money their game won't be either. MS will preserve the prestige of the talent they've acquired and protect their investment as much as possible.

None of the XGS studios will put their games in Preview. I'd suggest you remove that notion from your head if you're expecting that.

Oct 26, 2018
And games like TLOU, Horizon would have been canned for Jak and Killzone sequels. Look at Ghosts of Tsushima. They could have made another infamous game but they didn't.

If an IP holds little value why not start new. There is too much attachment to old IPs.

As for Blue Dragon, you think making a sequel or reboot to a 10 year old mediocre selling game is the best use of money and developers for what seems to be an attempt at the Japanese audience lol?

Crackdown 3 prob shouldn't have been made tbh. I didn't even hate the game but looking at its sales and reception it likely was a financial loss and the series is likely dead now for a long time.
Yes i do because the plan for gamepass is to reach all people and audiences. just because old ips are visited doesn't mean new ips can't be created...... Thats what xgsp will be for. And cd is a series I've never even heard of, but that got a sequel. There's people who want a lost odyssey sequel and that didn't sell that well either. What about phantom dust? Is that dead too? Even tho ms has tried to remake/reboot that. Youre making it seem like there won't be new games being made, when what should be happening is a healthy mix of both old and new.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are essentially first party Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy and neither outright bombed. In fact, iirc they both made very slim profit.

Blue Dragon in particular was actually pretty successful in Japan and even had an animated series and handheld sequels - no doubt in huge part due to Toriyama's design.

Both of those games have ardent fans that have begged for new instalments for years. If MS is serious about funding Japanese games, these two are the strongest IPs they have and would make a ton of sense.

They're incredibly viable games in this day and age due to Game Pass and MS' PC efforts.

If they're standalone anthologies, there should be no concern in regards to their viability to garner new audiences. That's light work for marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.