• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Crackdown 3 prob shouldn't have been made tbh. I didn't even hate the game but looking at its sales and reception it likely was a financial loss and the series is likely dead now for a long time.

It's my game of the year, and one of my games of the generation. Before it was made the series had already been dead for a long time, and if it wasn't made it would remain dead. So to me as a consumer nothing was lost, and a lot was gained. How Crackdown 3 has affected Microsoft is for them to worry about, not me.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some interesting comments from Matt in the Spencer thread about IP's and new IP's and when we can expect them.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I just want an actual story like Forza Horizon 1 had. Like, develop that instead of throwing away to some weird ego masturbatory non-story string of voiceovers like in FH2. I really liked how you didn't just progress a number, but also in how people talked to you. It was really well done in my opinion, and really felt like I'd completed something when I beat the final race. It wasn't this amazing sweeping story, but it didn't need to be, but by contrast you've got FH2 which just...do race after race after race with the same hamfisted nothing praise heaped upon you over and over until you get to a race that takes you over like a third of the map I guess? Like it's just so soulless.

I wanted them to expand on that curated but free design philosophy they had with FH1 and they've just gone in the opposite direction :/

Story focused games and live services are fundamentally polar opposites. The perfect service game never ends. That's the very goal it's trying to achieve. Stories on the other hand build towards a climax, an ending that set-ups have pointed towards. That's where you get closure. Live service games don't want you to have that closure.

The stories I think we should expect in Horizon going forwards, will be more along the lines of what FH4 did. Not this overarching structure that comes to an end, because it's trying to be the exact opposite. I think they're gonna be careful about how they do a credit sequence, because even that could signal some kind of closure, they don't want to give you.

It's simply the type of game it is now.

Hubi

Nov 13, 2017
Matt mentionend PD in this Spencer thread. That is not how I would write Project Gotham Racing...

Jan 20, 2019
Agreed but even with sequel to older IP like PD and Fable, those worlds will be also fresh and new places to explore. MS has so many great IPs that the majority of gamers have forgot about.

Agreed.

You can make a sequel look like a new ip.

Sequel are awesome as well, i just hate when companys milk ip, that's the worst part.

A fable game with a new direction can easily be like a new ip.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
PD better be Phantom Dust, but I'll take a AAA Perfect Dark too.

Now let's talk about a sequel to Iron Brigade, the daddy of AA titles.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
IB sequel would be good but MS buying the Chromehounds IP would be better...

Oh hell yeah, gimme a brand new CH controller too.

We really need more mech games, I hope this AA approach to their studios allows for some experimentation from their studios. Not everything needs to be a hit, but more games like ReCore and Crimson Skies would be incredible. Those are unique Xbox experiences and it where their focus should be.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Matt's comments in the Phil thread just reinforces what we already know, although that low key PD reference has me all kinds of excited!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Oh hell yeah, gimme a brand new CH controller too.

We really need more mech games, I hope this AA approach to their studios allows for some experimentation from their studios. Not everything needs to be a hit, but more games like ReCore and Crimson Skies would be incredible. Those are unique Xbox experiences and it where their focus should be.
In my head I can see either a Mech Assault game with GaaS all over the place. BR modes, CTF modes, Skins and other cosmetics.

Or a Chromehounds AAA game that retains all the cooler MP stuff like having Commander units to share voice comms etc.

We need more mech games!!

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 prob shouldn't have been made tbh. I didn't even hate the game but looking at its sales and reception it likely was a financial loss and the series is likely dead now for a long time.

The multiplayer shouldn't have been made, because it created this weird narrative around the title that was impossible to live up to and even if they had succeeded, it was still a mode that contributed nothing to the fundamentals of Crackdown and in fact was entirely seperate from it. Imagine investing in a mode, so different from the campaign experience of Crackdown, that it wasn't even to be used in it and that was was supposed to be their main selling point:

A cloud technology Crackdown game, that doesn't use the cloud technology in Crackdown, but in something else entirely.

It's difficult to say what was going on behind the scenes, but looking at it from the outside, it felt like some larger corporate agenda pushed onto a franchise, where it didn't belong. The game itself was great, different structurally, as vertical as it was horizontal and with actual platforming elements, which you don't see in many similar games. And it had co-op in addition to an almost unheard of respect for the player's time in a modern AAA open world game.

I'm very glad it was made - up there with Other Wilds, as my favorite game this year - but I wish the multiplayer was never added. Now it's probably gone forever :(

Last edited:

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
PD better be Phantom Dust, but I'll take a AAA Perfect Dark too.

AA would be better for Perfect Dark. They could actually try to replicate some of the things the original does well, whereas an AAA budget game would have to appeal to everyone, with severe limitations imposed on the design as a result.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed but even with sequel to older IP like PD and Fable, those worlds will be also fresh and new places to explore. MS has so many great IPs that the majority of gamers have forgot about.
Co-signed.

At this point I expect Fable to return sooner or later, but I hope Perfect Dark comes back too.

I wonder if PD would be handled by Global Publishing like KI or by Rare like BT. With Battletoads there are still some of the original team members at Rare, but there's basically no GE/PD team members left over there. I imagine being able to draw from the huge pool of TPS/FPS talent in Norh America would help a lot.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Story focused games and live services are fundamentally polar opposites. The perfect service game never ends. That's the very goal it's trying to achieve. Stories on the other hand build towards a climax, an ending that set-ups have pointed towards. That's where you get closure. Live service games don't want you to have that closure.

The stories I think we should expect in Horizon going forwards, will be more along the lines of what FH4 did. Not this overarching structure that comes to an end, because it's trying to be the exact opposite. I think they're gonna be careful about how they do a credit sequence, because even that could signal some kind of closure, they don't want to give you.

It's simply the type of game it is now.

The thing is I don't think it has to be that way though. There are lots of ways to extend play a game. I mean, a game like Destiny has a story mode, but the mechanics direct you to go elsewhere afterwards.

I think they absolutely could encourage something that's open ended. Heck without proper propulsion, and without a good goal to work towards, I've seen some people just quit a game like that because there isn't something pushing them forward.

I actually think FH2 handles the ending well. It launches into a bigger system, which they expanded in FH3 kinda. I just think the way of getting there in the first place needs to be more curated and crafted.

Jan 4, 2018
The multiplayer shouldn't have been made, because it created this weird narrative around the title that was impossible to live up to and even if they had succeeded, it was still a mode that contributed nothing to the fundamentals of Crackdown and in fact was entirely seperate from it. Imagine investing in a mode, so different from the campaign experience of Crackdown, that it wasn't even to be used in it and that was was supposed to be their main selling point:

A cloud technology Crackdown game, that doesn't use the cloud technology in Crackdown, but in something else entirely.

It's difficult to say what was going on behind the scenes, but looking at it from the outside, it felt like some larger corporate agenda pushed onto a franchise, where it didn't belong. The game itself was great, different structurally, as vertical as it was horizontal and with actual platforming elements, which you don't see in many similar games. And it had co-op in addition to an almost unheard of respect for the player's time in a modern AAA open world game.

I'm very glad it was made - up there with Other Wilds, as my favorite game this year - but I wish the multiplayer was never added. Now it's probably gone forever :(
I agree with almost everything.
I wonder if, since they were separate downloads the game would've been better received if they just launched SP with MP coming at a later time (maybe when they added more content, just wait and release when you have something more than 3 maps and 2 game modes). SP was fun and I think it night have been better received if not attached to such a controversial MP
I hope they learned something from the experiment though and that the next time they try the results are better because on paper that level of destruction sounded really cool.
I want a Blast Corps sequel with destruction on levels not seen before.
Also a thing that bothered me from Wrecking Zone is, why is EVERYTHING yellow on the inside??
I get it's supposedly inside a simulation but maybe use other colors on different zones of the map?

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I don't need to know what Initiative is making to know Game Preview is out of the question. That's a world class team that are doing something big. There's not a remote possibility their game will debut in Early Access before it hits the market.

Building a team like that is not a cheap venture. You can bet good money their game won't be either. MS will preserve the prestige of the talent they've acquired and protect their investment as much as possible.

None of the XGS studios will put their games in Preview. I'd suggest you remove that notion from your head if you're expecting that.

Well see what happens, you seem oddly set on this idea that MS are never going to use Game Preview even though they have done it in the past and are doing lots of testing on other games too.

Maybe rather than being so rude and telling me to "remove that notion from your head" you should open your eyes and see that MS will let their studios do what suits them and their projects.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Do you realistically see MS reviving that IP? MS didn't even attempt to make a sequel for the 360 back then but instead relegated the IP to small budgeted NDS games.

I mean that's not really a reason not to dust it off. Look at Shenmue, that could have easily died with the Dreamcast, Awakening was generally considered to be the last Fire Emblem during development, Fable seems to be getting a revival after closing out on 4 consecutive loses for the series. People clamor for a Perfect Dark revival and you could easily say that franchise was abandoned after Zero.

Especially if they go the Final Fantasy route and not make it a direct sequel and just borrow from the themes Blue Dragon, or to a lesser extent Lost Odyssey, comes with a guaranteed audience, even if it's a small one.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Like Booty said. They are not actively searching to bring back a IP just because its time. He said the right dev needs to come along with passion for it.
Its not they are picking a IP and go like. Yes you dev, you are gonna make it.

kung-fu-owl

Alt account
Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Well see what happens, you seem oddly set on this idea that MS are never going to use Game Preview even though they have done it in the past and are doing lots of testing on other games too.

Maybe rather than being so rude and telling me to "remove that notion from your head" you should open your eyes and see that MS will let their studios do what suits them and their projects.

One of Microsoft's first party's biggest hurdles this gen has been quality and polish.

The Xbox Game Studios rebrand marked a change in a many things, including that.

Don't expect them to put out games to the masses unless they've already gone through substantial polish and are representative of what's to come.

Betas like the excellent Gears 5 tech test that show the game as highly polished and smooth are what you can reasonably expect.

Even Bleeding Edge, which looks great, is only contained within closed tech tests, and that isn't going to change until the game is close to release.

If you actually think XGS studios have full autonomy on their games beyond the creative process, I have a bridge to sell you.

I'm not telling you to get the notion out of your head to be rude, but just so you don't start expecting it, but be my guest if you think Initiative are going to put their game in Early Access, lol.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
Friendly reminder that Lobb said this in 2015:

Perfect Dark Zero was set in the year 2020, which Lobb teased could make for a fitting time to see the series return to life. "Maybe we'll see another Joanna Dark game with Joanna by 2020. That would be an interesting year to bring her back," he said.

www.gamespot.com

Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and More Will Return Eventually

"We have surprises in store in the near and long future," Ken Lobb says.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it isn't currently an Xbox game, but I played the demo for Judgment last night and fell in love. It's exactly what I want to play right now, but I don't have the option to do so on my console of choice.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but Phil and Co. really need to turn things around next gen when it comes to getting third party releases from Japan. I don't want an Xbox game studio in Japan, I don't want more games like Blue Dragon, I just want to be able to play stuff like FFXIV, Judgment, FFVII Remake, etc... on my damn Xbox.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't understand how you can say "let the past die" about Blue Dragon in a world where Battletoads is coming out.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
For me, one of MS's biggest mistakes throughout the Xbox's lifespan has been not continuing the Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon franchises. Even if they weren't massive successes out of the gate, if they had continued to nurture and grow them both over the course of the last and this generation, they'd have their own exclusive takes on Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy. The latter could have been extremely important as FF started to falter a bit. Imagine if all the people disappointed by XIII and XV (I like them both, for my part :P ) had some more traditional FF-style experiences to look to instead? Could have driven some console sales there.

This current Xbox team seems more interested in building for the future and sustaining a vision though, rather than being a hits-driven business like their past selves. With something like Game Pass around, hopefully a similar situation would develop differently these days.

So it isn't currently an Xbox game, but I played the demo for Judgment last night and fell in love. It's exactly what I want to play right now, but I don't have the option to do so on my console of choice.

I know I sound like a broken record here, but Phil and Co. really need to turn things around next gen when it comes to getting third party releases from Japan. I don't want an Xbox game studio in Japan, I don't want more games like Blue Dragon, I just want to be able to play stuff like FFXIV, Judgment, FFVII Remake, etc... on my damn Xbox.

WRT to RGG studio games, I really don't understand why they aren't already on Xbox. Sega are weird.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
For me, one of MS's biggest mistakes throughout the Xbox's lifespan has been not continuing the Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon franchises. Even if they weren't massive successes out of the gate, if they had continued to nurture and grow them both over the course of the last and this generation, they'd have their own exclusive takes on Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

This current Xbox team seems more interested in building for the future and sustaining a vision though, rather than being a hits-driven business like their past selves. With something like Game Pass around, hopefully a similar situation would develop differently these days.
If MS wanna make/fund JRPG again, they should make new ip.
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon is too old school, including characters art style(i mean not waifu enough lol).

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I am generally team all three, but if I had to chose just one I'd chose third party support.

If MS wanna make/fund JRPG again, they should make new ip.
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon is too old school, including characters art style(i mean not waifu enough lol).

I mean, art styles can change man, a lot of things can change and keep the spirit of an IP. Look at Final Fantasy, look at Zelda.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Gears stuff looks nice. Good to see Bleeding Edge also there.
Also Destiny at a Xbox show.

2hfkm5.png

untitledbck9c.png

Last edited:

Shingi_70

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We were talking sports games the other day, and playing Gears 3 made me wonder if there were ever any talks about a trashball spinoff game.

Aug 26, 2018
Like Booty said. They are not actively searching to bring back a IP just because its time. He said the right dev needs to come along with passion for it.
Its not they are picking a IP and go like. Yes you dev, you are gonna make it.

I feel this is not an issue the studios need to fix but Xbox, Phil and Matt and they have shown very little to do so. If Phil can get Voodoo Vince, Battletoads, Flight Simulator back, why not the other big ones? So many talented studios like Insomniac, Remedy would jump at the opportunity for sequels to their games with MS, its Microsoft who is unwilling to do so because of the previous experiences with Scalebound, CD3 etc.

If you are sitting on so many IPs with potential but you say we don't have the devs to do it, then MS needs to find someone. either acquire them with the intention to do so or ask 2nd parties to handle it. 343, The Coalition were created to nurture Halo and Gears, why not create a studio to bring back Old IPs?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I feel this is not an issue the studios need to fix but Xbox, Phil and Matt and they have shown very little to do so. If Phil can get Voodoo Vince, Battletoads, Flight Simulator back, why not the other big ones? So many talented studios like Insomniac, Remedy would jump at the opportunity for sequels to their games with MS, its Microsoft who is unwilling to do so because of the previous experiences with Scalebound, CD3 etc.

If you are sitting on so many IPs with potential but you say we don't have the devs to do it, then MS needs to find someone. either acquire them with the intention to do so or ask 2nd parties to handle it. 343, The Coalition were created to nurture Halo and Gears, why not create a studio to bring back Old IPs?

I mean, I feel like that could be a job for Global Publishing (or whatever they're called now), to a degree.

I would also imagine that all of the new studios are free to pitch for existing IPs if they have an idea or the passion for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.