• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Something interesting. I wonder if this is still being worked on. Likely just a pitch that wasn't invested in any further like Razor, but you never know.

Ninja Theory's 'The Beggar's Opera'

Thanks to a artists portfolio, a video of Ninja Theory's tech demo 'The Beggar's Opera' has leaked. It has been taken down from the original source but we have uploaded it for you all to see.

Sadly no sound.

This demo leaked around the same time the Hellblade demo was first released to the public.

alessandro-taini-199864-10237927-blue-jpg.jpg

Stephen Stanyon is the Game Director on an unannounced game since July 2015. Could be this. Or obviously something completely different.

bildschirmfoto2019-080jkw5.png

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
It takes a very small amount of knowledge about console hardware or none at all if you make a simple comparison, to realise that Pachter's comments are completely nonsensical.

EDIT: It's nice to see them working with Dontnod, they're a really talent team. I wonder if they are making episodic content for Game Pass or something like Vampyr? If it's a launch title (2020) then it's probably something like Vampyr.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've missed something. XGS Publishing working with Dontnod?
From Maxime on the previous page:
Hello,

So, this is one day close to be an one year old thing, but did anything new came from this bit of interview in August '18 between Aaron Greenberg and Jeuxvideo.com (FR) regarding Microsoft and DONTNOD working on something?

We are collaborating with many major studios and we are much more focused on teams than on their location. And it's a very profitable for us, we have Rare in the UK, Mojang in Sweden, we are working on things with DONTNOD in France, Playground in the UK, we have a lot of partners in Europe with whom we have been working with for years. I think the addition of these new studios is a very clear message from us. We are delighted, for example, with the arrival of Ninja Theory teams and we are looking forward to investing more and more in Europe.

I don't think it was ever picked up anywhere else but I'm curious. Apparently DONTNOD still have one unveiled project form 2020 (alongside their new one with Focus) and one or two after 2020.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Something interesting. I wonder if this is still being worked on. Likely just a pitch that wasn't invested in any further like Razor, but you never know.

Ninja Theory's 'The Beggar's Opera'

Sadly no sound.

This demo leaked around the same time the Hellblade demo was first released to the public.

alessandro-taini-199864-10237927-blue-jpg.jpg

Stephen Stanyon is the Game Director on an unannounced game since July 2015. Could be this. Or obviously something completely different.

bildschirmfoto2019-080jkw5.png

Nice. NT devs are some of the most talented in the industry. Good get for Xbox. They've been gradually building up a powerhouse Xbox 1st party team with the addition of amazing studios and top industry talent and I can see them continuing this at X019 with the the acquisition of 2 or more devs. From Aarons X019 hype announcement at gamescom this could be the biggest one yet.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Dontnod is awesome. If they get acquired I hope that they also get fastracked to making a Remember Me sequel. That game had so much potential and it's one of the few games that I played twice. (Hope they own the rights to it but I sort of doubt it, but MS could just buy it from Capcom)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Nice. NT devs are some of the most talented in the industry. Good get for Xbox. They've been gradually building up a powerhouse Xbox 1st party team with the addition of amazing studios and top industry talent and I can see them continuing this at X019 with the the acquisition of 2 or more devs. From Aarons X019 hype announcement at gamescom this could be the biggest one yet.

I like what I'm seeing here. NT has lots of potential, could turn out to be a real promising studio who will provide both MP and SP experiences, nice!

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Dontnod would be huge and my favourite option with Remedy as well. Those guys are really talented and the best fit for Gamepass.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Dotnod and Asobo are really great devs. I'm guessing the next batch of dev acquisitions will go like this - Japan, Europe then US. They may likely start expanding their dev presence in other regions outside of US and UK.

I agree, I've been saying this for a minute. I expect the acquisitions to happen in waves after this main one in the regions Xbox is already strong. There may be some more room to expand in the UK, but mostly I think Xbox is set for UK and North American studios.

Two or three more studios in Asia, Central Europe, Northern Europe and maybe South / Central America each and I think Xbox would be set for ages in terms of regular, super varied games for the Xbox platform.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Just guessing, but maybe Microsoft is working with Dontnod for a Scarlett launch game (or within a year from its launch) to see how things go and maybe consider a future acquisition.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Changing camps this gen doesn't just mean leaving behind exclusive franchises, it means leaving behind a whole library built up over possibly two generations.

That's never mattered much though. The original PS3 meant people could keep their entire PS1 and PS2 libraries and the 360 didn't have any BC at all. Didn't matter because the 360 was a better value with better games.

No one brought their Wii library to the Wii U.

Noone cared that the PS4 didn't have any back compat at all.

The mass market consumer buys new consoles to play the new consoles' games. If Scarlett is a good value and has great games, it will do fine.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
Last year at E3, Microsoft was already talking about dontnod like they were in a good relationship. They talked about them about the same level of playground. They must have one or two project together ( or something else).

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Some of our respected OT members make an Xbox podcast every two weeks. I think they are doing a great job with it. This newest episode discusses Insomniac being bought, Gamescom 2019 and the future of Xbox Live Gold.

Something to do for the commute tomorrow.

and the OT: https://www.resetera.com/threads/xboxera-podcast-ot-professional-shills.129042/

On this, if there's anyone in this thread that's interested in helping out with the site, give us a shout. We could use a few more bodies! <3

Oct 25, 2017
Huh, that Dontnod thing is weird. Are we sure it's a first party project and not something like LiS2 on Game Pass?

I missed it, what did he say that leads you to believe that? Also, it's Greenburg, he has a tendency to overstate. I'd be more excited if it came from Spencer or Booty.

He said it was going to be their biggest Inside Xbox yet and that going forward, their main pillars of announcements throghout the year would be E3 and X0, that Phil and Booty would be there and we also have confirmation that the AOE4 reveal trailer will be there, that in itself makes it the most interesting of these events from MS

i am quite skeptical, though, because X018 suuuuuuuuuuucked.

In my opinion Microsoft should try to acquire Deck13.
The Surge 2 seems like a real gem of a game.

i played it's preview version and found it quite mediocre

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
We're 1 week away from Gears 5.

Also, it sounds like the Fall 2019 update is getting detailed at some point this week.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
That's never mattered much though. The original PS3 meant people could keep their entire PS1 and PS2 libraries and the 360 didn't have any BC at all. Didn't matter because the 360 was a better value with better games.

No one brought their Wii library to the Wii U.

Noone cared that the PS4 didn't have any back compat at all.

The mass market consumer buys new consoles to play the new consoles' games. If Scarlett is a good value and has great games, it will do fine.

That's my point though, backwards compatibility and digital libraries have never moved the arrow because they've never been a factor before, or at any rate where never a large enough factor.

People have digital libraries they've built up over possibly two generations depending on when they jumped on the digital games train, those people will be less likely to jump ship. Plus with all the multi-year games that are big now.

Granted this applies a lot more to Xbox players than it does to Playstation players, and since Xbox is a smaller market it probably doesn't mean that they as much as it could. New games are a big factor for new consoles yeah, but at this point, GTA V and Destiny accounts could also be a big factor, three generations of peoples favorite games that they like to replay once a year could be a big factor.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I agree, I've been saying this for a minute. I expect the acquisitions to happen in waves after this main one in the regions Xbox is already strong. There may be some more room to expand in the UK, but mostly I think Xbox is set for UK and North American studios.

Two or three more studios in Asia, Central Europe, Northern Europe and maybe South / Central America each and I think Xbox would be set for ages in terms of regular, super varied games for the Xbox platform.

So only 8 to 12 more studios? Lol

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
After 13 years I finally finished Gears 1 LOL....I don't play many shooters cause they tend to give me motion sickness but I took it slow over the past week and only played an hour at a time, after a while I was playing longer and longer. Gonna try to get through the first 4 before 5 comes out. Played a little of Gears 2 and man the jump to 4k on the X really helps the graphics. It still looks good!

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Lol. They got 10 devs within a year and you think 8 more is too much? even Matt has stated they have no quota, they will keep acquiring when ever there is the opportunity and it makes sense.

I don't think expecting them to grow that large is realistic, but we'll see. They can't grow too big unless they have the market share to go along with it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think expecting them to grow that large is realistic, but we'll see. They can't grow too big unless they have the market share to go along with it.

Their TAM is 2 billion, the number they keep talking about everytime they talk about xCloud. They're goal is to support Game Pass and xCloud with a tremendous amount of content.

Status
Not open for further replies.