• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
HW reveal a week before E3. Xbox One games upgraded - Gears 5 with SP expansion

Xbox opens E3 2020 with Scarlett content blowout. Halo Infinite + Killer Instinct + Ninja Theory + Rare + Fable + Perfect Dark. Scarlett price reveal.
Sweet. Just thinking of what Rare, NT, PG games, T10, TI, TC, 343i, DF, Obsidian and others will accomplish on Scarlet gets me so hyped.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2019
Halo Infinite
Fable
Ninja Theory

Makes it an excellent E3 for me. Save Forza, Rare, etc. for 2021. Don't underestimate how important Halo is for Scarlett.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Halo Infinite
Fable
Ninja Theory

Makes it an excellent E3 for me. Save Forza, Rare, etc. for 2021. Don't underestimate how important Halo is for Scarlett.
I really don't think we'll see Fable next year. Maybe a tease or something.
Halo, Ninja Theory and something Forza or Killer Instinct would be my guess.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Well, one could argue that both this and Cuphead have the same art "inspiration" from classic Fleischer and Walt Disney cartoons.

But obviously a rip off of Cuphead lol, albeit a very pretty one.
X_2Muy.gif

Only MDHR

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
(1:24)

There was an Xbox article on CNBC today where they mentioned that Xbox One sold 46.9M Units until Q2, 2019 according to IDC. This does seem to be on the higher side of where we expected console install base to be. Was this number known before?

I know there were some threads about this and the latest number we got was from ZhugeEX which was ~41M in Jan 2019.

It's been pretty consistently half what the ps4 sold throughout the life of the console.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Another thing to keep in mind regarding game announcements at X0 or E3 is that there are almost certainly global publishing games in development for next gen that have yet to be announced or even rumored to be in development. At least that's what I'd expect in order to bolster Scarlett's launch lineup beyond Halo. I think we can expect Turn 10's next game and maybe Ninja Theory's next game to be launch titles. Potentially one of the unannounced games from Obsidian, inXile or Rare. Killer Instinct?! (who knows). PS5's launch lineup will likely/potentially have Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon sequel, Gran Turismo game (or new IP from Polyphony), Japan Studio game, Bluepoint's next game, San Diego Studio is rumored to be working on an Uncharted game. In order to come out of the gate swinging, Xbox needs second party titles via global publishing as many of the internal studios won't be ready for holiday 2020.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Another thing to keep in mind regarding game announcements at X0 or E3 is that there are almost certainly global publishing games in development for next gen that have yet to be announced or even rumored to be in development. At least that's what I'd expect in order to bolster Scarlett's launch lineup beyond Halo. I think we can expect Turn 10's next game and maybe Ninja Theory's next game to be launch titles. Potentially one of the unannounced games from Obsidian, inXile or Rare. Killer Instinct?! (who knows). PS5's launch lineup will likely/potentially have Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon sequel, Gran Turismo game (or new IP from Polyphony), Japan Studio game, Bluepoint's next game, San Diego Studio is rumored to be working on an Uncharted game. In order to come out of the gate swinging, Xbox needs second party titles via global publishing as many of the internal studios won't be ready for holiday 2020.
Agreed.
Global Publishing/External Partners Are Already Bringing (or are Rumored) to Bring Some Awesome Things to Xbox One, I sometimes can't believe how much people sleep on this.

A list for context:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Battletoads (through Rare to Dlala)
Killer Instinct (rumored, either through Rare or GP)
Playful's Rare IP Project (rumored, either through Rare or GP)
Flight Simulator (this may be a team within GP working with Asobo?)
Gears Tactics (through TC to Splash Damage)
... and I'm sure there's plenty more we don't know about!

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Agreed.
Global Publishing/External Partners Are Already Bringing (or are Rumored) to Bring Some Awesome Things to Xbox One, I sometimes can't believe how much people sleep on this.

A list for context:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Battletoads (through Rare to Dlala)
Killer Instinct (rumored, either through Rare or GP)
Playful's Rare IP Project (rumored, either through Rare or GP)
Flight Simulator (this may be a team within GP working with Asobo?)
Gears Tactics (through TC to Splash Damage)
... and I'm sure there's plenty more we don't know about!

XGSGP is also working with Smilegate (multiplayer) and Remedy (single player) on Crossfire X

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
(1:24)

There was an Xbox article on CNBC today where they mentioned that Xbox One sold 46.9M Units until Q2, 2019 according to IDC. This does seem to be on the higher side of where we expected console install base to be. Was this number known before?

I know there were some threads about this and the latest number we got was from ZhugeEX which was ~41M in Jan 2019.

That's a pretty good number. Certainly not at 360 or Playstation level highs, but damn solid. Could finish off the gen with 60 million.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Same happened to me last night (launch Scorpio unit here, too). I was in the middle of a mission on Destiny, and it just turned off. I did hear the fan blowing a bit beforehand, so thought it might have somehow overheated, despite the fact it was a cool night and there's absolutely nothing surrounding the console. When I got up to touch it, it was completely cool to the touch. Yet, when I restarted it, I got that "your console is designed to turn off when it overheats" screen. Bit odd.

I had this happen repeatedly after a while on my launch X. Turns out the hard drive was actually failing and I had to get it warranty replaced.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It really does seem like Turn 10 will be missing the launch window this time tho.
I don't mind them missing it, if they plan on making it the best product they can. Just push out a Forza 7 Scarlett edition with 4k60 and all the bells and whistles and that will keep people going till Forza 8 appears.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I don't mind them missing it, if they plan on making it the best product they can. Just push out a Forza 7 Scarlett edition with 4k60 and all the bells and whistles and that will keep people going till Forza 8 appears.

I rather want to see the next Horizon game as it always impressed me far more than a closed circuit racer and with what we already got this gen and how open worlds can be build in the future (see flight simulator) I am sure we will be blown away by the next entry.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forza Horizon World

Gimme it Playground! Massive game with a new expansion every twelve months and by the end of the gen we'll be able to drive across the planet!

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I rather want to see the next Horizon game as it always impressed me far more than a closed circuit racer and with what we already got this gen and how open worlds can be build in the future (see flight simulator) I am sure we will be blown away by the next entry.
Tbh, even Horizon 4 on Scarlett will be damn ridiculous. 4k60 and bumped up detail etc but I am sure whatever Playground is working on next will be equally bonkers. MS would be silly not to use some of the best Xbox One games to bump up the Scarlett launch.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Tbh, even Horizon 4 on Scarlett will be damn ridiculous. 4k60 and bumped up detail etc but I am sure whatever Playground is working on next will be equally bonkers. MS would be silly not to use some of the best Xbox One games to bump up the Scarlett launch.

I think we can expect them to showcase how the scarlett will improve the visuals of Xbox one games as it is also a good way to show the difference between the 2 gens. They did a similar thing with Forza for Xbox one x.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think we can expect them to showcase how the scarlett will improve the visuals of Xbox one games as it is also a good way to show the difference between the 2 gens. They did a similar thing with Forza for Xbox one x.
Fully agree. Tbh, I am super excited to see what games MS use to show their RT tech off. I think the standard Halo/Forza etc will make sense but I wonder what other studios will bring.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Halo
Forza
Killer instinct
Rare new game
Ninja Theory new game
Forza
Game pass
Pretty based launch

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Fully agree. Tbh, I am super excited to see what games MS use to show their RT tech off. I think the standard Halo/Forza etc will make sense but I wonder what other studios will bring.

Halo is a safe bet and Gears 5 would also make highly sense.

With all the new studios it will certainly be a lot more. I hope they will have a big RPG in the veins of Fable or Elder Scrolls ready for some time to shine as countrysides look most impressive with all the foliage, woods, mountains and sunshine.

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Xbox Game Studios shouldn't blow the load on launch and then go back to stagnation. Nintendo proved with the Switch that you really only need one game of unparalleled quality to give your console momentum. Halo Infinite could be Scarlett's Breath of the Wild if 343 is able to pull this thing off, and I have a reasonable amount of faith in them. Leave Forza, Gears, ect. to 2021.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Xbox Game Studios shouldn't blow the load on launch and then go back to stagnation. Nintendo proved with the Switch that you really only need one game of unparalleled quality to give your console momentum. Halo Infinite could be Scarlett's Breath of the Wild if 343 is able to pull this thing off, and I have a reasonable amount of faith in them. Leave Forza, Gears, ect. to 2021.
There is truth in this, yes. While I can guarantee they won't just have Halo Infinite from XGS in the launch window, in the end a lot will come down to the quality of Halo Infinite and the marketing focus on it. The situation is indeed comparable to the Switch and Breath of The Wild.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

They will and have to promote Games Pass heavily so nothing else would make sense than just throw out what they can with exceptions of course. With the current studio line up they should have a load to show to start the next gen and still have a good amount of projects up their sleeves for the following year.

Jan 4, 2018

You've dreamt it, Kellogg's did it.
Each pack of tresor contains a code for 7 days of Game Pass

(You can also win an Xbox with the code, so those that said you'll soon get one with a pack of cereals had, somewhat, seen the future)

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
If Scarlett's launch is simply Halo Infinite, the expected multiplats, and a few exclusive indies, I think that would be enough.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I think Turn 10 Forza will be within 1 year of Scarlett's launch and will be revealed at E3 2020. Forzatech is very useful to show off new hardware capabilities.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
If Scarlett's launch is simply Halo Infinite, the expected multiplats, and a few exclusive indies, I think that would be enough.
Not for me. Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games - all on XGP to get the early adopters. The console simply cannot afford to be a 'me too' effort with one marquee game if it's launching next to PS5.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Not for me. Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games - all on XGP to get the early adopters. The console simply cannot afford to be a 'me too' effort with one marquee game if it's launching next to PS5.
Well, you might want to hold off on getting one at launch then.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
It's completely unreasonable to want them to burn all their games on launch - a period were the console will be sold out anyway.

Wanting them to reveal a lot of games next year makes at least somewhat sense. Just releasing everything on day one, no matter if the studio is ready or not, on the other hand makes no sense at all.

Xbox needs a steady steam of content. Not a straw fire for a few first days or weeks.

Black Mantis

Oct 30, 2017
It's completely unreasonable to want them to burn all their games on launch - a period were the console will be sold out anyway.

Wanting them to reveal a lot of games next year makes at least somewhat sense. Just releasing everything on day one, no matter if the studio is ready or not, on the other hand makes no sense at all.

Xbox needs a steady steam of content. Not a straw fire for a few first days or weeks.

I agree with this. People also need to consider that if Scarlett releases in the fall, there'll be big 3rd-party titles launching at the same time (as well as the PS5 games), so risking potentially smaller titles from the likes of InExile, NT, getting drowned out in all that noise isn't worth it. I'd say it should be staggered to one title a month, regardless of whether it's AA or AAA.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I am sure it wasn't his intention but your post highly implied that you want a load of new first party titles at launch of scarlett.
Well, let's put a number on that then - I'd like three new next gen titles to choose from at launch. Is that such an outlandish expectation from 15+ studios within then next 14 months? Maybe it is. Maybe dev cycles for next gen have doubled.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
You're putting words in my mouth, here. I'm not being unreasonable at all asking that a new console launch with multiple titles that I can't play anywhere else.
You literally said "Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games" - and yes, I think that's unreasonable and I don't agree with it. Does the console need to launch with more than just Halo Infinite? Yes, and they totally know that. It's a thin line between having enough exclusive experiences on day one and stealing your games each other's light with too many games. It's a balance act, with Halo Infinite being a huge game clearly getting the biggest PR focus, leaving not too much room for other titles without sacrificing their visibility. Ninja Theory might be a good candidate with a game that can stand on its own by being a strong singleplayer experience different enough compared to Infinite, but I really don't know about the others you mentioned.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Well, let's put a number on that then - I'd like three new next gen titles to choose from at launch. Is that such an outlandish expectation from 15+ studios within then next 14 months? Maybe it is. Maybe dev cycles for next gen have doubled.

3 first party titles at launch is reasonable for me as far as all are of a different genre.

In terms of dev cycles I could even imagine it will be shorter next gen due to machine learning tech. Just look at flight simulator the world was basically created by AI and satellite data.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
I think Forza 8 / whatever Turn 10 is working on will be a launch title and unveiled at E3 next year. They're already skipping this year in which they would normally release a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.