• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
You literally said "Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games"
No, that wasn't the quote. You said I expected games to release half-baked. I would obviously want games to launch if they're ready to launch. Balancing act or not, if the PS5 launches with more exclusive games, the meme will continue.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
No, that wasn't the quote. You said I expected games to release half-baked. I would obviously want games to launch if they're ready to launch. Balancing act or not, if the PS5 launches with more exclusive games, the meme will continue.
The meme will continue regardless. Don't forget all Xbox games come to PC, so there are no Xbox exclusives.

Such is the idiocy of list wars.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still sticking with at launch we will have halo infinite, a Forza horizon 4 expansion as well as ninja theory's other game. I think that's enough especially for the holiday period when you'll have 3rd parties

maybe throw in an obvious sea of thieves expansion

Terrysaur

Jun 14, 2019
Balancing act or not, if the PS5 launches with more exclusive games, the meme will continue.

I doubt the PlayStation 5 will have that much more at launch, considering SIE are gonna be launching three big titles for the PlayStation 4 in its final year as their flagship console – Death Stranding, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghost of Tsushima. All their other superstar studios released games relatively recently that took years to develop – Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man, ect. I just don't see a loaded PlayStation 5 launch happening either because of this.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Does the console need to launch with more than just Halo Infinite? Yes, and they totally know that.
Why? They will have a lot of third party games, plus BC. If they have a big exclusive (Halo Infinite) available at launch, then another big exclusive every quarter (Q1 2021, Q2 2021, etc.) and some smaller titles between, it would be perfect.

Launch won't be a problem. They need their exclusives later, in early 2021 and beyond. If they have three exclusives at launch but the nothing before holidays 2021, it will be more problematic than if they only had Halo Infinite at launch, but then one new big exclusive every quarter.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
I think Forza 8 / whatever Turn 10 is working on will be a launch title and unveiled at E3 next year. They're already skipping this year in which they would normally release a game.
This or Forza Horizon 5. Either way I'm expecting to see some top tier eyecandy showcasing the power of Scarlett. Don't get me wrong, no doubt that Halo Infinite will be gorgeous, but IMO Forza will be the one to provide instant wow factor with its graphics.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Wonder if MS is acquiring Night Dive.
I could see them launching with gears tactics as well.
How many Scarlett games do you think will be in game pass at launch? Full launch line up, including third parties?

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

A Sequel would be awesome

I really want a Hellblade sequel in terms of spirit. I love that everything serves the story. Like you have story centric action games that feel unenforced by mechanics to some degree regardless of how good of games they are, but the combat and puzzles, despite being simplistic, feels just so right.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Just looking back through the XB1 launch, there were 9 exclusive titles available day one through either first party or WWS. Obviously some of those don't count as marquee titles (the less said about Lococycle the better) but if Scarlett is compared the worst-ever console launch in history and it only has one game as an exclusive, it's not a good look.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Wonder if MS is acquiring Night Dive.
I could see them launching with gears tactics as well.
How many Scarlett games do you think will be in game pass at launch? Full launch line up, including third parties?
Night Dive? No really. Turok and System Shock are cool and all, but Night Dive currently is publisher focused on selling nostalgia to people, not creating new experiences. Nostalgia doesn't factor into Xbox's vision for First-Party studios.

Apr 6, 2018
Isn't this a dangerous mindset if you're interested in keeping your talent. I know the argument is made that you know what you're making when you decide to work at the Coalition but New is Exciting and Exciting is New.
Despite that most of the new ips this generation are not new, nor exciting
I mean, we're talking about rebooting a series that had its only 2 entries release in 2001 and 2005. Everything from gameplay, level/mission design, controls, and story will need to be changed.

I personally hope for a 3rd person game that blends the Gears of War cover shooting with a lot of sneaky/spy/Assassin gameplay akin to Splinter Cell/Hitman.
Well they don't let the game in the hand of the most skilled developer in tps around the globe without a good reason
What if Ms/ rare contracted eidos Montreal to make perfect dark? Have the coalition help with the shooting mechanics. Thief had good stealth gameplay
the thief stealth gameplay was a joke compared to the og ones
I've been playing quite a bit of Destiny 2 the past few days and I have to say that I like some of the locations, I like the decent enough variety of enemies and guns too. This brings me to Halo, what I really hope is that they get the variety done right.

A good variety of

Different enemies (I'm sure 343 will introduce at least one new enemy)
Weapons
Locations
(sub) boss encounters. Please God no more Wardens, the lack of variety of that in 5 was such a terrible let down. And let these bosses be fight and no pushovers. Give me a challenge, don't let it simply be that you only have to shoot at it, no, let it have weak points that you have to find first etc.
The warden has weak points, like shooting to the rest of the body is pretty effectiveless if you don't aim for it's energy.
The problem of halo in adding enemy types is that each type had to cover a precise role on the field. The warden wasn't a boss, but more the equivalent of the hunter for the prometheans.

But maybe it's just that I've found destiny 2 boring af these days before returning on gears pvp
Yep. No two ways about it. MS is in a situation where them producing quality first party games is in question almost all the time; they can't afford to play that same vague, "Wait until next E3!" or "We'll show it to you when it's almost ready for release" game anymore. Not when they have the backing of the higher ups, GP and fan expectations.
Like there are 10 msft game scheduled for 2020 right now, easy.
Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, ori 2, minecraft dungeons, aoe3de, gears tactics(RIght now I know it's scheduled for 2020, IDK if something change since last time), battletoads, minecraft earth, halo infinite and MSFS(this could change depending on the feedback during the alpha test) and maybe bleeding edge.
Like how the could deliver more games than this?
What about AoE 4, I thought this was a launch title as well?
Unless they find a way to justify to the average console player that controllers will be not allowed in such a big game. They should focus on pc first like MSFS
Hardware based is a real good thing, right? Hopefully many games will have it. Please Halo!!!
Right now Halo Infinite didn't showed any trace of raytracing at e3
Depends if you consider doom an action packed linear experience.
Gears 1-4 are good enough linear games, Im happy with the exploration in 5.
Packed is packed, but the progression system showed so far looks redundant

COD Mobile Hits 100 Million Downloads in 1 Week

Congrats COD BUT WHERE THE HELL IS HALO!!!!

343i is ALWAYS behind the game, this could have been HALO.
Which is a dumb take, since cod mobile was developed by another developer, right now this would have pissed the fanbase like diablo immortal, showing a mobile game while the next entries in the franchise is so far would be dumb

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
What would be a solid lineup of 5 or so games for the Scarlett launch you guys? Feel free to throw in fantasy picks but you have to name the game. No "unannounced" listings.

1. Halo Infinite (We already know this is a launch title)
2. Forza 8
3. Perfect Dark X
4. Killer Instinct II
5. Brütal Legend II
6. Fable 4

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Like there are 10 msft game scheduled for 2020 right now, easy.
Wasteland 3, Psychonauts 2, ori 2, minecraft dungeons, aoe3de, gears tactics(RIght now I know it's scheduled for 2020, IDK if something change since last time), battletoads, minecraft earth, halo infinite and MSFS(this could change depending on the feedback during the alpha test) and maybe bleeding edge.
Like how the could deliver more games than this?

1. I didn't argue that they need to show many games, I said quality games need to be teased ahead of time. We're talking about two different things here.

2. The games you listed are all AA, outside of Halo Infinite. They're gonna need more AAA games teased to help ease the long running thought of Xbox having no games.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't really get why people are excited about this ps5 news. Like, the controller features are cool but not super novel, Xbox has had similar features since launch and the Switch has its HD rumble stuff, the SSD is kind of a "no shit" fact, partial game installs are cool but again not anything novel. I feel like these little snippets of non-news are just anti-climactic, I just get annoyed that I read the whole article for nothing.

Maybe I'd be excited if all of these kind of underwhelming features were revealed at once at a big event along with a game or two, or maybe in a neat teaser I could consume easily. But for now it just feels dumb.

But then again, maybe that's why they're doing it. They know next gen consoles won't really have any revolutionary features, so they're just kind of passing it down so that the eventual reveal is all games.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Really bad article. Dont understand why you shared it here?
Because it's an opinion article by a known and reputable gaming industry site. What kind of odd question is that?

People share questionable opinions every day here. Just like you literally posted your opinion about it. No one says you need to agree with it. Move on.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So we now also know more detailed info about the PS5 CPU. Apparently it's what we all expected from what I'm reading. Wonder when MS is going to reveal more info. But I can see them waiting until a special event for that.

Buddy of mine just told me he had read that Sony will have a very impressive lineup planned for the PS5 reveal event and that wouldn't surprise me. Sony undoubtedly is going to show some crazy visuals, just like with Killzone back in 2013 I think it was. I hope both of these companies are going to fire on all cylinders. Ninja Theory could absolutely impress with their visuals and I expect greatness from 343 of course as well.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't really get why people are excited about this ps5 news. Like, the controller features are cool but not super novel, Xbox has had similar features since launch and the Switch has its HD rumble stuff, the SSD is kind of a "no shit" fact, partial game installs are cool but again not anything novel. I feel like these little snippets of non-news are just anti-climactic, I just get annoyed that I read the whole article for nothing.

Maybe I'd be excited if all of these kind of underwhelming features were revealed at once at a big event along with a game or two, or maybe in a neat teaser I could consume easily. But for now it just feels dumb.

But then again, maybe that's why they're doing it. They know next gen consoles won't really have any revolutionary features, so they're just kind of passing it down so that the eventual reveal is all games.

I think it's two things.

1. General next gen hype
2. Overreactions from the largely pro-Sony gaming media

I agree with you though. We didn't really learn anything newsworthy outside of it being confirmed for a holiday 2020 release and Sony naming it the obvious, in the PS5.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
So we now also know more detailed info about the PS5 CPU. Apparently it's what we all expected from what I'm reading. Wonder when MS is going to reveal more info. But I can see them waiting until a special event for that.

Buddy of mine just told me he had read that Sony will have a very impressive lineup planned for the PS5 reveal event and that wouldn't surprise me. Sony undoubtedly is going to show some crazy visuals, just like with Killzone back in 2013 I think it was. I hope both of these companies are going to fire on all cylinders. Ninja Theory could absolutely impress with their visuals and I expect greatness from 343 of course as well.

As much as i want to have all the info about the new consoles now I don't see any reason for either Sony or MS to already talk about it much as we are a full year ahead of release. I rather don't expect anything Scarlett related at X019 and if they have any news then it most likely will be only just a very minor unsatisfying thing that was expected anyway.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Oh it really is ?? Damn my scarlett launch line up wishes a doomed then XD

Yep. A big reason for Ninja Theory's push into what they called the "Independent Triple A" space was the fact that they had made a lot of memorable games but didn't retain the IP for any of them.

I'm sure MS could make an offer for the Enslaved IP if they were so inclined, but I don't think they would see much point. Much as many of us really liked it, I don't remember it doing all that well.

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
Because it's an opinion article by a known and reputable gaming industry site. What kind of odd question is that?

People share questionable opinions every day here. Just like you literally posted your opinion about it. No one says you need to agree with it. Move on.
Erm, isn't any opinion questionable? 🙂

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Just looking back through the XB1 launch, there were 9 exclusive titles available day one through either first party or WWS. Obviously some of those don't count as marquee titles (the less said about Lococycle the better) but if Scarlett is compared the worst-ever console launch in history and it only has one game as an exclusive, it's not a good look.
I mean, the Switch launched with Just Dance, BOTW, 1 2 Switch and Bomberman, a step down from the Wii U in terms of quantity and did very well. Quality matters too. I'd rather get Forza 8 and Halo Infinite and a few third parties and have my whole Xbox library instead of getting a PS5 if there's no support pre PS4 and it launches with 7 Knack-tier exclusives.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
As much as i want to have all the info about the new consoles now I don't see any reason for either Sony or MS to already talk about it much as we are a full year ahead of release. I rather don't expect anything Scarlett related at X019 and if they have any news then it most likely will be only just a very minor unsatisfying thing that was expected anyway.

That's true. I don't expect much about Scarlett next month either. But Sony, it's definitely possible they have an event in February again and maybe they'll reveal all the specs there.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Some of the expectations for launch lineup - or downplaying of expectations are absolutely crazy.

Launching a new console needs new games. And Halo Infinite will be the flagship but they need several others at launch. Big titles. Things that move consoles and create mind share.

They already have "its just fable/forza/gears" tag and need to shift that somewhat.

As said there were last launch: Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3, FM5, Crimson Dragon - along with some smaller titles all exclusive.

If you say Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3 and FM5 were the marquee launch exclusive titles - its hardly overwhelming but that is 4 exclusive AAA games - for what was not exactly a killer launch.

They've known about their deficiencies for a while have a load of new studios and been planning for next gen for years. If they can't improve in both quantity and quality of launch exclusives from XB1 launch then that's a huge failure and a big problem. I cannot for one second believe they won't improve hugely on both counts. Be ridiculous not to.

Nov 23, 2018
What would be a solid lineup of 5 or so games for the Scarlett launch you guys? Feel free to throw in fantasy picks but you have to name the game. No "unannounced" listings.
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Killer Instinct sequel
  3. Forza Horizon 4 DLC + visual upgrade
  4. Ninja Theory - dark, story-driven, visual experience
  5. Sea of Thieves major DLC + visual, combat, and character customization upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.