• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Some of the expectations for launch lineup - or downplaying of expectations are absolutely crazy.

Launching a new console needs new games. And Halo Infinite will be the flagship but they need several others at launch. Big titles. Things that move consoles and create mind share.

They already have "its just fable/forza/gears" tag and need to shift that somewhat.

As said there were last launch: Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3, FM5, Crimson Dragon - along with some smaller titles all exclusive.

If you say Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3 and FM5 were the marquee launch exclusive titles - its hardly overwhelming but that is 4 exclusive AAA games - for what was not exactly a killer launch.

They've known about their deficiencies for a while have a load of new studios and been planning for next gen for years. If they can't improve in both quantity and quality of launch exclusives from XB1 launch then that's a huge failure and a big problem. I cannot for one second believe they won't improve hugely on both counts. Be ridiculous not to.

Xbox one first party launch titles were diverse and that is the important thing imo. With Halo Infinite we already have a launch titel that is arguably bigger than all of these combined:
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Ryse: Son of Rome
  • Zoo Tycoon
I think they will have an awesome line up next year and never forget back when the Xbox one launched they did not have 15+ studios so i wouldn't be too worried about quantity anymore.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018
I would be satisfied with following first party launch line up:

1. Halo Infinite
2. Ninja Blade 2
3. Forza Horizon 4 expansion or even "5"
4. 1 vs.100
5. Enslaved 2

I have advocated strongly that they launch with FH5 instead of FM8 for a few reasons: Bigger seller, a true console seller in Europe, game is in great shape and isn't in need for a big reboot, so a quicker turnaround is possible if they change location & finally it is a showcase title like FM8.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Some of the expectations for launch lineup - or downplaying of expectations are absolutely crazy.

Launching a new console needs new games. And Halo Infinite will be the flagship but they need several others at launch. Big titles. Things that move consoles and create mind share.

They already have "its just fable/forza/gears" tag and need to shift that somewhat.

As said there were last launch: Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3, FM5, Crimson Dragon - along with some smaller titles all exclusive.

If you say Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3 and FM5 were the marquee launch exclusive titles - its hardly overwhelming but that is 4 exclusive AAA games - for what was not exactly a killer launch.

They've known about their deficiencies for a while have a load of new studios and been planning for next gen for years. If they can't improve in both quantity and quality of launch exclusives from XB1 launch then that's a huge failure and a big problem. I cannot for one second believe they won't improve hugely on both counts. Be ridiculous not to.
I think some people misconcept Scarlett as a complete reset to zero. It's not meant to be that. You bring all your controllers, your software library as well as your Game Pass subscriptions with you. Project Scarlett is not meant no be a hard cut, but instead just another entry point into the ecosystem next to PC, xCloud or Xbox One. If you play their games on PC, that's great for them. They don't need you to sell Scarlett. It's about the options.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I have advocated strongly that they launch with FH5 instead of FM8 for a few reasons: Bigger seller, a true console seller in Europe, game is in great shape and isn't in need for a big reboot, so a quicker turnaround is possible if they change location & finally it is a showcase title like FM8.

I fully agree with you. The horizion series appeals to a wider audience than Motorsports and it feels far more vibrant.

Oct 27, 2017

The situations are different. This gen the libraries aren't just going to vanish so you aren't going to randomly have 10+ games at launch since bleeding edge, gears tactics, gears 5, SoT etc will all still be there and carried over to next gen

Gamepass is going to be there with a high chance of you still being able to play those 100+ games on your Scarlett. It's about the ecosystem. It's not starting from zero

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I think people misconcept Scarlett as s completely reset to zero. It's not meant to be that. You bring all your controllers, your software library as well as your Game Pass subscriptions with you. Project Scarlett is not meant no be a hard cut but another entry point into the ecosystem next to PC, xCloud or Xbox One. If you play their games on PC, that's great for them. They don't need you to sell Scarlett. It's about the options.
Yeah.
It's basically another Xbox One X, but in a new deco.

The 10 or so games XGS is releasing before Scarlett are Scarlett's launch line up.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I think people misconcept Scarlett as s completely reset to zero. It's not meant to be that. You bring all your controllers, your software library as well as your Game Pass subscriptions with you. Project Scarlett is not meant no be a hard cut but another entry point into the ecosystem next to PC, xCloud or Xbox One.

This point needs to be echoed. Microsoft has transitioned Xbox away from the traditional console space in terms of selling a traditional console to a platform agnostic service. Everything is about Gamepass and this has been demonstrated by no longer releasing sale numbers of consoles.

As you say, Project Scarlet is another avenue for people to subscribe into Microsoft's ecosystem.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Ah yes, that is definitely possible.

I wonder what we can expect from MS at the Scarlett reveal. I do think they will keep Halo Infinite for E3, but you never know. Maybe Ninja Theory? Rare perhaps?

It is not too hard to guess what we can expect from them at the reveal, but I think you are pointing towards what kind of games they will show and yeah I am also very eager to know it.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The situations are different. This gen the libraries aren't just going to vanish so you aren't going to randomly have 10+ games at launch since bleeding edge, gears tactics, gears 5, SoT etc will all still be there and carried over to next gen

Gamepass is going to be there with a high chance of you still being able to play those 100+ games on your Scarlett. It's about the ecosystem. It's not starting from zero

But then you're simply selling Scarlett to existing XB1 users. So its diminishing returns. Also I think relying on games already released is foolish. The reporting of launches will not say "hey you can play old games so its great". It will report like any other console launch does.

I'm not in the camp of "MS has to match Sony's output" but they know, everyone realistically knows that however you dress the launch up, you need a solid lineup of new and exclusive experiences to win mindshare, shift units and generate momentum. Its not even a debate. Of course MS' tactic is a gamepass, streaming, play anywhere options - but those things are about providing a great service to retain your playerbase. The thing that will expand it is the games. And Scarlett launch has been a critical point for MS to show us what they've got after years of serious deficiency - whether perceived or real - that deficiency is a narrative that should have been squashed already but certainly their very last chance is launching their next console.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
But then you're simply selling Scarlett to existing XB1 users. So its diminishing returns. Also I think relying on games already released is foolish. The reporting of launches will not say "hey you can play old games so its great". It will report like any other console launch does.

I'm not in the camp of "MS has to match Sony's output" but they know, everyone realistically knows that however you dress the launch up, you need a solid lineup of new and exclusive experiences to win mindshare, shift units and generate momentum. Its not even a debate. Of course MS' tactic is a gamepass, streaming, play anywhere options - but those things are about providing a great service to retain your playerbase. The thing that will expand it is the games. And Scarlett launch has been a critical point for MS to show us what they've got after years of serious deficiency - whether perceived or real - that deficiency is a narrative that should have been squashed already but certainly their very last chance is launching their next console.

Who do you think are a console's early adopters? During the first year they will sell mostly to people already invested on MS ecosystem.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where we at with an X019 meetup boys and girls? Who's coming to London? I'll personally stay until Saturday (with that day dedicated to being a tourist and possibly meeting people).

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Not for me. Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games - all on XGP to get the early adopters. The console simply cannot afford to be a 'me too' effort with one marquee game if it's launching next to PS5.

For the long term, those studios are best off releasing their games when they're ready. Launch consoles are generally gobbled up by the hardcore regardless of launch games. Look at 2013 which set launch sale records. Most enthusiasts want the best versions of multiplats. Halo would be a marquee launch title the stature we haven't seen on either PlayStation or Xbox since 2001. Scarlett not only doesn't need to launch with those games but shouldn't unless those studios have games that definitely meet those developers visions. Halo will buy those other studios time and honestly I'd like for most Microsoft's studios to have some time with the final hardware before delivering their next gen games.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Who do you think are a console's early adopters? During the first year they will sell mostly to people already invested on MS ecosystem.

I think Xbox risk not being a hot enough ticket to have a compelling launch. And therefore having what is seen as a lukewarm launch. They need to really hit the ground running.

I don't buy into the whole nonsense about "generation winners" its absolute rubbish. But I do think that the Xbox brand in general needs a widespread shot in the arm. They need a must have product. Not about winning or beating anyone - simply about the brand needing to get into more people's houses to ensure their console business keeps growing.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Xbox one first party launch titles were diverse and that is the important thing imo. With Halo Infinite we already have a launch titel that is arguably bigger than all of these combined:
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Zoo Tycoon
I think they will have an awesome line up next year and never forget back when the Xbox one launched they did not have 15+ studios so i wouldn't be too worried about quantity anymore.

that's interesting to see what the xbox one launched with.

Jan 4, 2018
If FM8 releases after FH5 I don't think I'd care much about it, while if it's the other way around and manage to make significant improvements with the extra year I'd be more interested, and I think that'll be the case for everyone but the most racing centric gamers
Also that would mean FH5 get the added benefits of T10 extra time of work, making it possibly a better product than if they launch it first

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think Xbox risk not being a hot enough ticket to have a compelling launch. And therefore having what is seen as a lukewarm launch. They need to really hit the ground running.

I don't buy into the whole nonsense about "generation winners" its absolute rubbish. But I do think that the Xbox brand in general needs a widespread shot in the arm. They need a must have product. Not about winning or beating anyone - simply about the brand needing to get into more people's houses to ensure their console business keeps growing.
Releasing the console with big new ip along with Halo is not a good idea. There will be a launch catalogue but don't expect 3-4 big bombs.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
Halo Infinite + 2 New IP's (Ninja Theory + and who knows?) will do fine if I had to guess Perfect Dark is a launch window game as well but definitely not launching with Scarlett Day One... you will also have some smaller games launching with Scarlett on Game Pass day one trying to get some momentum as well, you can bet

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I think there needs to be one or two other big/big-ish games and a few mid/smaller games next to Halo on launch day - something for everyone, or as close as they can manage. After that, they need to keep the release schedule fairly consistent to keep owners engaged and bring in new buyers.

Also worth remembering third parties will time their launches around the new consoles to a degree, so they'll pick up some of the slack.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Releasing the console with big new ip along with Halo is not a good idea. There will be a launch catalogue but don't expect 3-4 big bombs.

I disagree to an extent. Halo on its own caters to a specific audience. Halo, Forza and a couple of new IPs from other first or second party's starts to look interesting for more gamers.

I think Halo Infinite doesn't and won't have the BOTW effect. It will likely be a fantastic launch title but it won't sell the console alone.

Oct 27, 2017
People are forgetting that's there's going to be the inevitable COd game in 2020, Assassins crews will provide the big open world game in the fall etc. having halo, a racer and another game is fine when you see that 3rd parties are going to pick up the slack in the holiday. Those other games are best kept from January- May so we don't have a repeat of last gen where nothing was coming out from anybody

Aug 26, 2019
  • Crimson Dragon
  • Dead Rising 3
  • Fighter Within
  • Forza Motorsport 5
  • Killer Instinct
  • LocoCycle
  • Zoo Tycoon
Xbox One actually had a phenomenal launch lineup. I would call Dead Rising 3 the best launch game out of all the launch games for both consoles.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
People are forgetting that's there's going to be the inevitable COd game in 2020, Assassins crews will provide the big open world game in the fall etc. having halo, a racer and another game is fine when you see that 3rd parties are going to pick up the slack in the holiday. Those other games are best kept from January- May so we don't have a repeat of last gen where nothing was coming out from anybody

Plus all the BC games that'll get a big resolution boost (Gears 5, FH4 to name a few) we're going to have more games to play than ever at launch, no need for both MS and Sony to blow their loads at launch with a dozen games, better having 3-4 and spreading the rest throughout the launch year.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Xbox One actually had a phenomenal launch lineup. I would call Dead Rising 3 the best launch game out of all the launch games for both consoles.
Xbox One had a great launch lineup and a great first couple years of exclusive games compared to the PS4. I also feel like those failures lead to the Xbox we have now which i think has way more promise for the future.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Killer Instinct sequel
  3. Forza Horizon 4 DLC + visual upgrade
  4. Ninja Theory - dark, story-driven, visual experience
  5. Sea of Thieves major DLC + visual, combat, and character customization upgrade
I think this is a pretty solid and plausible list that would good enough for me, especially if KI launches with a robust character roster and feature set this time.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Some of the predictions are extremely conservative.

I expect on day 1:

Halo Infinite
Ninja Theory new IP
Double Fine - new IP
Age of Empires 4
InXile - new IP. Been working on it for a while already.

At least 2/3 global studios games and 5 gamepass indies.

They will announce more launch window games than that e.g. Obsidian's new IP, but this is a realistic DAY ONE line up.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019

Game wise X1 launch was better than PS4 imo. Heck the first two years x1 had the better exclusives.

As for Scarlet launch I'd say halo infinite, ninja Theory game, and possibly Rares new game? If Perfect Dark is a FPS then I really wouldn't put it anywhere near Halo. Some smaller games like Tunic would be great as well. They don't need to flood November. Space games out for feb/March of 2021 and then just keep the train rolling from there

CyberDyne

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 6, 2019
That sounds more like it, yep.

I really think MS needs KI back and at launch. Having your primary launch games be halo and Forza just continues the meme. Ninja theory hopefully expands out new IP and while KI isnt new IP, its heavily underutilized by MS and gives them a game in a genre they lacked a lot in this gen.

Aug 26, 2019
Game wise X1 launch was better than PS4 imo. Heck the first two years x1 had the better exclusives.

As for Scarlet launch I'd say halo infinite, ninja Theory game, and possibly Rares new game? If Perfect Dark is a FPS then I really wouldn't put it anywhere near Halo. Some smaller games like Tunic would be great as well. They don't need to flood November. Space games out for feb/March of 2021 and then just keep the train rolling from there
Shinobi has said that Rare's game is far out. Agreed on not flooding November.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Plus all the BC games that'll get a big resolution boost (Gears 5, FH4 to name a few) we're going to have more games to play than ever at launch, no need for both MS and Sony to blow their loads at launch with a dozen games, better having 3-4 and spreading the rest throughout the launch year.

agree.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Do we count The Outer Worlds as an XGS game if it gets GOTY buzz due to Obsidian? I know Private Division is distributing and Microsoft owns Obsidian and the IP and plans to make future sequels Xbox exclusive. To date, at The Game Awards, an Xbox Game Studios has never been nominated for GOTY. I think Gears 5 will change this and wonder if we can include Obsidian there.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Do we count The Outer Worlds as an XGS game if it gets GOTY buzz due to Obsidian? I know Private Division is distributing and Microsoft owns Obsidian and the IP and plans to make future sequels Xbox exclusive. To date, at The Game Awards, an Xbox Game Studios has never been nominated for GOTY. I think Gears 5 will change this and wonder if we can include Obsidian there.
Sure.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I think some people misconcept Scarlett as a complete reset to zero. It's not meant to be that. You bring all your controllers, your software library as well as your Game Pass subscriptions with you. Project Scarlett is not meant no be a hard cut, but instead just another entry point into the ecosystem next to PC, xCloud or Xbox One. If you play their games on PC, that's great for them. They don't need you to sell Scarlett. It's about the options.
Xbox is in a very difficult spot and the launch of a new console should be an event that revives the public's interest in the brand. If their approach is "it plays all your Xbox One games but with higher res", it's going to fail just like One X did. Scarlett needs big flagship titles that differentiate it from Xbox One, else people will flock to PS5.

"MS doesn't care if you're playing on PC or console as long as you're in the Xbox ecosystem" is another challenge for them, as the Xbox environment on PC is absolutely horrible. Game Pass provides excellent value, but I doubt they're going to convert game pass subscribers into Microsoft Store customers:
- the DRM is draconian. You have no access to game files, you can't even play some single player games offline (eg. I sometimes had to launch Ori multiple times for the game to connect to XBL and verify my game save files). Despite the DRM, you don't get a unified experience across games, some games feature cloud saves some don't etc.
- pricing on the store is not competitive
- the xbox overlay is uninuitive and rather useless. I can't say there's a single overlay on PC that I like tho, all launchers are a mess on PC

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I personally don't.

It's a Private Division/Take Two game made by an XGS studio. Similar to how Halo Wars 2 was a Microsoft Studios game made by a Sega studio.

The Outer Worlds 2 will be a different story though.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I would. A lot of the people who regularly say "Xbox hasn't had a GOTY contender in _____ years" probably won't.

EDIT: on second thought, maybe not , since the development was pretty much done before the acquisition. Wasteland 3 and Psychonauts 2 I would count though, because they clearly benefitted from Xbox money.

Last edited:

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the predictions are extremely conservative.

I expect on day 1:

Halo Infinite
Ninja Theory new IP
Double Fine - new IP
Age of Empires 4
InXile - new IP. Been working on it for a while already.

At least 2/3 global studios games and 5 gamepass indies.

They will announce more launch window games than that e.g. Obsidian's new IP, but this is a realistic DAY ONE line up.

This seems like a reasonable prediction to me. Don't forget Scarlett players with GP will have full access to the entire library. Can't deny the value it presents to new players.

I feel like there will be at least 1 wild card Global Publishing title to go with the launch.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
We are expecting a studio acquisition announcement during X019 ?
No but yes. I believe it was Booty who said they can buy two studios in two months if the deal falls into place. We know from Klobrille that they have at least entertained talks with Typhoon and IO, and from Phil that they are trying to buy/set up a Japanese studio.

An announcement is far from guaranteed, but all signs point to their shopping spree not being over.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
I really want some leaks even wrong just to get some excitement for the XO haha

DeoGame If i m not wrong, Klobrille said that for Typhoon, he was wrong and it was just for the inside. For IO, he never said something about them i think, but he said that he thought that Microsoft would have bought Hello game for the last E3.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Xbox is in a very difficult spot and the launch of a new console should be an event that revives the public's interest in the brand. If their approach is "it plays all your Xbox One games but with higher res", it's going to fail just like One X did. Scarlett needs big flagship titles that differentiate it from Xbox One, else people will flock to PS5.

"MS doesn't care if you're playing on PC or console as long as you're in the Xbox ecosystem" is another challenge for them, as the Xbox environment on PC is absolutely horrible. Game Pass provides excellent value, but I doubt they're going to convert game pass subscribers into Microsoft Store customers:
- the DRM is draconian. You have no access to game files, you can't even play some single player games offline (eg. I sometimes had to launch Ori multiple times for the game to connect to XBL and verify my game save files). Despite the DRM, you don't get a unified experience across games, some games feature cloud saves some don't etc.
- pricing on the store is not competitive
- the xbox overlay is uninuitive and rather useless. I can't say there's a single overlay on PC that I like tho, all launchers are a mess on PC
The One X failed?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like they will be closer to 20 studios before Scarlett launches too.

In terms of new projects announced but not coming at launch they should try and push the new guys as much possible

Undead Labs - State of Decay 3
Compulsion - New game
Playground - Open world RPG game
InXile - New game
Obsidian - New game?? (I doubt they will present anything new)
Double Fine - New game (Prob too soon)

Then you have the Global Publishing efforts. Personally I think MS will push nostalgia hard, I'm thinking old IP like Perfect Dark, Phantom Dust, Killer Instinct etc

I have absolutely no doubts the 2020 E3 will be one to remember.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Shame they probably won't as XGS helped fund post on the game and expand Obsidian, but glad we are on the same page.

Yeah, I can kind of see both sides, but I don't think the kind of people who harp on GOTY care. I guess with Outer Worlds I'm just not sure how much Xbox actually helped, so I can see both counting it as well as I can see not counting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.