• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I really want some leaks even wrong just to get some excitement for the XO haha

DeoGame If i m not wrong, Klobrille said that for Typhoon, he was wrong and it was just for the inside. For IO, he never said something about them i think, but he said that he thought that Microsoft would have bought Hello game for the last E3.

I thought he said Typhoon talks fell through. Might be misremembering. He definitely mention IO though: https://www.resetera.com/threads/mi...-sold-off-by-now.75600/page-198#post-15205433

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Failed to make Xbox sales stronger even in traditionally strong Xbox markets like tha US. Hardware itself is excellent.
I don't think anyone including Microsoft expected the X to turn things around. What it did do was show that there are gamers willing to pay a premium price for premium hardware

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I feel like they will be closer to 20 studios before Scarlett launches too.

In terms of new projects announced but not coming at launch they should try and push the new guys as much possible

Undead Labs - State of Decay 3
Compulsion - New game
Playground - Open world RPG game
InXile - New game
Obsidian - New game?? (I doubt they will present anything new)
Double Fine - New game (Prob too soon)

Then you have the Global Publishing efforts. Personally I think MS will push nostalgia hard, I'm thinking old IP like Perfect Dark, Phantom Dust, Killer Instinct etc

I have absolutely no doubts the 2020 E3 will be one to remember.
When you say "push the new guys" do mean pressure them to release games sooner, or promote whatever projects they may have even if they're 2-3 years away from completion. Remember, games are going to take even longer to make next gen.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I don't think that's actually true, to be honest.

I think it's not strictly true, as in advances in technology and change in the medium won't cause games to take longer, but I think it will still happen. With development costs as high as they are and things like game pass changing the revenue model, I think developers will be given more time. Games will take longer to come out, not because they take longer to develop, but because they're not being rushed as often.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I've been operating under the assumption that GING-SAMA is Rodney.

Besides, I thought we all ascribed to the Gospel of the One True Squirrel here.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
When you say "push the new guys" do mean pressure them to release games sooner, or promote whatever projects they may have even if they're 2-3 years away from completion. Remember, games are going to take even longer to make next gen.

Promote :)

In my opinion, they will steal the next gen in Xbox.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
If all we get at launch are cross gen games and DLC it's going to be a very disappointing launch. They need at least 1 AAA game that is designed exclusively for Scarlett/high end PC to really show what next gen hardware can do. The next gen consoles aren't just about better GPUs, they have much better CPUs than even the One X and that should help deliver experiences that go beyond just more graphic effects and higher framerates. They need to wow people.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
MS is buying IO?

That's news to me, where did those rumours spring from? I didn't realise IO were struggling.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If all we get at launch are cross gen games and DLC it's going to be a very disappointing launch. They need at least 1 AAA game that is designed exclusively for Scarlett/high end PC to really show what next gen hardware can do. The next gen consoles aren't just about better GPUs, they have much better CPUs than even the One X and that should help deliver experiences that go beyond just more graphic effects and higher framerates. They need to wow people.

Its not going to happen like that and it shouldnt.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They shouldn't have software to show off what their next console is capable of? Why shouldn't they?
Because the difference between Halo Infinite on X and Scarlet will be drastic and the goal is to keep a huge community of gamers that can all play together. The split between generations is the toughest leap every generation and if that can be eased in to instead of a hard stop its a great move for people who cant immediately afford new consoles, but can afford 9.99 a month for gamepass.

Oct 27, 2017
Because the difference between Halo Infinite on X and Scarlet will be drastic and the goal is to keep a huge community of gamers that can all play together. The split between generations is the toughest leap every generation and if that can be eased in to instead of a hard stop its a great move for people who cant immediately afford new consoles, but can afford 9.99 a month for gamepass.
People continue to not understand ecosystems and revenue. Why would you give up having 10 million players playing via gamepass to have maybe 1 mill playing on current gen only

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

Except you're missing half of what I was saying. With the new CPUs and SSD tech they can do things that aren't just jumps in graphics fidelity. Like bigger seamless worlds and better physics, stuff that still wouldn't be made possible on the current consoles by just downgrading the graphics.

Cross gen games are always hamstrung by the older hardware limitations and I feel they need something to really shows what next is capable of. If all we get is Halo and some DLC for existing games it's going to be extremely disappointing.

People continue to not understand ecosystems and revenue. Why would you give up having 10 million players playing via gamepass to have maybe 1 mill playing on current gen only

There are always exclusives to new hardware, you can be sure Sony will have a couple that will look amazing. Nintendo is an exception here but their games are never pushing bleeding edge graphics tech.

Apr 6, 2018
It really does seem like Turn 10 will be missing the launch window this time tho.
IMHO with gamepass in mind pushing two big games in the same time frame is dumb. Microsoft should aim for dropping content regularly but steadily
Halo
Forza
Killer instinct
Rare new game
Ninja Theory new game
Forza
Game pass
Pretty based launch
It would have been by far the biggest launch line up ever, but it would have been an immense waste of effort for gamepass burning those titles the same day
There is truth in this, yes. While I can guarantee they won't just have Halo Infinite from XGS in the launch window, in the end a lot will come down to the quality of Halo Infinite and the marketing focus on it. The situation is indeed comparable to the Switch and Breath of The Wild.
People really don't understand how gamepass and switch changed everything, the target is not releasing several games, but a regular stream of games

Not for me. Scarlett needs to launch with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, InExile and other marquee studios' new games - all on XGP to get the early adopters. The console simply cannot afford to be a 'me too' effort with one marquee game if it's launching next to PS5.
I don't think ps5 will be launched with several new games. Switched prooved that releasing several games at d1 but then wasting month until march(like titanfall 1 and infamous second son) is not as good for creating the momentum than a regular drop of games
ehhh ... they had traced reflections on walls, though that was the only evidence from the DF video for the trailer.
In the end the DF didn't say that looked like a trace of raytracing but the overall lack of it made them think it was something else? IMHO if the game will have rt, they didn't add it during e3
1. I didn't argue that they need to show many games, I said quality games need to be teased ahead of time. We're talking about two different things here.

2. The games you listed are all AA, outside of Halo Infinite. They're gonna need more AAA games teased to help ease the long running thought of Xbox having no games.
1) I mean most of those games are going to be good knowing the developers background, especially wasteland 3.

2) MSFS is clearly in the AAA space, and beyond from a technical pov
Some of the expectations for launch lineup - or downplaying of expectations are absolutely crazy.

Launching a new console needs new games. And Halo Infinite will be the flagship but they need several others at launch. Big titles. Things that move consoles and create mind share.

They already have "its just fable/forza/gears" tag and need to shift that somewhat.

As said there were last launch: Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3, FM5, Crimson Dragon - along with some smaller titles all exclusive.

If you say Ryse, Killer Instinct, DR3 and FM5 were the marquee launch exclusive titles - its hardly overwhelming but that is 4 exclusive AAA games - for what was not exactly a killer launch.

They've known about their deficiencies for a while have a load of new studios and been planning for next gen for years. If they can't improve in both quantity and quality of launch exclusives from XB1 launch then that's a huge failure and a big problem. I cannot for one second believe they won't improve hugely on both counts. Be ridiculous not to.
They don't need several games at launch. They need several games in the months to come dropping regularly

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
1) I mean most of those games are going to be good knowing the developers background, especially wasteland 3.

2) MSFS is clearly in the AAA space, and beyond from a technical pov

1. We don't know that. I'm also of the mind that MS needs AAA titles for launch outside of Halo Infinite that are high quality. They need to compete with Sony's first party offerings and not in some feel good claim of "Well, they have a diverse lineup!".

2. We need to know the budget of, Flight Simulator before making this claim. It being ultra pretty doesn't mean it's AAA.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Except you're missing half of what I was saying. With the new CPUs and SSD tech they can do things that aren't just jumps in graphics fidelity. Like bigger seamless worlds and better physics, stuff that still wouldn't be made possible on the current consoles by just downgrading the graphics.

Cross gen games are always hamstrung by the older hardware limitations and I feel they need something to really shows what next is capable of. If all we get is Halo and some DLC for existing games it's going to be extremely disappointing.

There are always exclusives to new hardware, you can be sure Sony will have a couple that will look amazing. Nintendo is an exception here but their games are never pushing bleeding edge graphics tech.
That time is coming but that time is not next year and unless Microsoft thinks it will be smart to kill the momentum gamepass has right now

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
That time is coming but that time is not next year and unless Microsoft thinks it will be smart to kill the momentum gamepass has right now

It's the complete opposite though. "Here are all our amazing new Scarlett exclusives. Buy the console and get all the games for only 10 bucks!"

Meanwhile Xcloud will be a thing by then for the older consoles.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Wow, 3 million people used their trial subs for this too?
If a small game like that can get 3 million downloads on gamepass then they might have more subs than most think. I would guess they are in the 5-7 million range right now for active subs, which i think is really great.

I think that's the first time I've seen someone give out a hard number for gamepass downloads. We always get 'players' but not gamepass downloads. Hopefully ms will start sharing some info sooner than later on it.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's the complete opposite though. "Here are all our amazing new Scarlett exclusives. Buy the console and get all the games for only 10 bucks!"

Meanwhile Xcloud will be a thing by then for the older consoles.

I just cant see any benefit to doing it especially when no dev is going to want to develop a game for a customer base of 0 ever again. You will be able to see what Halo Infinite looks like in base, X and Scarlet and the die hard fans who are ready to pay 499.99-599.99 for a new console will be happy and the people who want to wait a couple years will also be happy. If their games running at 720p/30fps that's their choice and they should have that choice. Obviously the software will eventually outgrow the older hardware and that's when Scarlet X can be introduced and Scarlet can get a big price drop. I dont expect Scarlett/PS5 exclusive games to hit or even be talked about for at least a year after next gen launch.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Glacius? Thunder? ARIA?
...nono

The girl with the friggin' dragon
latest

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
If a small game like that can get 3 million downloads on gamepass then they might have more subs than most think.
3 million downloads includes "other giveaways", like GwG, GoG etc, not just Game Pass.
Where this idea that Scarlett won't have "true next gen" games from XGS for a couple of years is coming from? l know Phil was talking about doing a better job supporting xbox one compared to 360, but this doesn't mean there won't be exclusives at all. Are there any more rumors?

Status
Not open for further replies.