• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
...nono

The girl with the friggin' dragon
latest

flat,550x550,075,f.u2.jpg

Aug 26, 2019
Hey does anyone else think Rod Fergusson should get promoted to a leadership role in XGS? He has a get shit done attitude that I think all the studios could really benefit from.

Jun 22, 2018
Hey does anyone else think Rod Fergusson should get promoted to a leadership role in XGS? He has a get shit done attitude that I think all the studios could really benefit from.
I think he could be good at it, but after hearing him talk about how he ended up at the Coalition, I'm not sure he'd want to take that kind of role.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

When Phil leaves, I imagine Matt Booty will take over his position (can't imagine who else it would be) I could then see Rod taking over from Matt.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
inXile released a patch to Bard's Tale IV today that adds dynamic resolution on Xbox One X up to 4K. I had fired it up very briefly when it first launched on Game Pass and honestly couldn't keep playing because it looked too blurry for me on my 65" TV, but man I am really enjoying it now. I realize that it isn't fully AAA polish yet or anything, but my excitement for what this studio could do next under Xbox just went up by a lot. I am not usually a turn based combat player either and have taken very quickly to the system and am enjoying it a lot.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
If Microsoft comes with a bunch of cross gen games and Sony comes with a bunch of next gen only games, Microsoft has a problem. Next gen launched are the perfect time to launch new games and new IP, especially for the platform holder who shouldn't be concerned solely with how many game units are sold but will be interested in driving sales of their hardware.

I also don't see how a Scarlett exclusive game has any affect on game pass.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
If Microsoft comes with a bunch of cross gen games and Sony comes with a bunch of next gen only games, Microsoft has a problem. Next gen launched are the perfect time to launch new games and new IP, especially for the platform holder who shouldn't be concerned solely with how many game units are sold but will be interested in driving sales of their hardware.

Scarlett is going to have to have a launch exclusive. I can't see how anyone really thinks it won't. No platform holder is going to launch a console with no exclusives.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

I think the argument is generally that if you have a game on game pass that is Scarlett only, you're only going to attract users who are buying a Scarlett console. So I guess then people who still have an Xbox One and don't subscribe to game pass, but also won't buy a Scarlett, aren't potential customers? Or people who only have an Xbox One and do subscribe to game pass aren't going to stay subscribed, since the new games coming to the catalog aren't for their system? I'll be honest, I don't really get it either.

For what it's worth, I expect both platform holders to launch with at least a few cross platforms games this gen. Backwards compatibility and cross play and all that jazz are bound to be hot topics at the beginning of this next gen, plus setting up both consoles sides by side and showing an exact performance and quality difference for games like Death Stranding or Halo Infinite will be a nice way to brag. I'd think launch will look kind of like this. That's just my two cents.

Oct 27, 2017

But they are making more money with the ecosystem than they are with hardware. The are a gamepass(and xcloud) company now that leveraged hardware but MS isn't Nintendo where that's their sole bread winner

MS isn't going to abandon the cbox one and it's gamepass audience in 12 months

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
But they are making more money with the ecosystem than they are with hardware. The are a gamepass(and xcloud) company now that leveraged hardware but MS isn't Nintendo where that's their sole bread winner

Yeah, but they lost this generation. Their goal needs to be to convert existing Xbox users to Scarlett and to attract non Xbox users to Scarlett. You can't do the latter while solely pushing cross gen games. The former is also more likely with exclusive next gen games because they are already effectively paying for them.

Tupper

Jul 15, 2019
inXile released a patch to Bard's Tale IV today that adds dynamic resolution on Xbox One X up to 4K. I had fired it up very briefly when it first launched on Game Pass and honestly couldn't keep playing because it looked too blurry for me on my 65" TV, but man I am really enjoying it now. I realize that it isn't fully AAA polish yet or anything, but my excitement for what this studio could do next under Xbox just went up by a lot. I am not usually a turn based combat player either and have taken very quickly to the system and am enjoying it a lot.

Thank you for this. I've been trying to figure out what this patch was. I've been enjoying it a lot before the patch. It has a very old school design to it, fun puzzles, and I really like the turn based combat. I couldn't get into Wasteland 2 but I'm now looking forward to 3 after this.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017

Thanks for the heads up!

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

In order to sell their software and services they need to bring a lot of the PS4 users to Xbox before they get entrenched in the PS5 ecosystem. Many of those people were previous Xbox owners who switched, many of those can be enticed to come back.

Contrary to what many on this forum try to make you believe not everyone has gaming PC so if they want to sell games they need people to buy the hardware and you do that by offering amazing next gen exclusives that will all be playable on Game Pass. That's what will entice people to choose Xbox first.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Scarlett is going to have to have a launch exclusive. I can't see how anyone really thinks it won't. No platform holder is going to launch a console with no exclusives.
Halo infinite which will probably be the biggest game Microsoft has ever released(at least on man hours) is releasing on Xbox one. That should be pretty telling that all launch games will also release on the one.

It will probably be holiday 2021 or later when games start coming out with no xboxone version.

Microsoft has said many times they arnt abandoning the one. They are pushing software and services much harder than hardware, thus no exclusives on Scarlett for a while.

I personally wish they would not release any next gen games on the one. I would rather they focus all efforts into making Scarlett and pc games shine. Instead I'd like them to release next gen games on Xbox one via xcloud streaming.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
I think there will defo be Scarlett exclusives on launch. By not abandoning the One I think MS are talking about xCloud.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Halo infinite which will probably be the biggest game Microsoft has ever released(at least on man hours) is releasing on Xbox one. That should be pretty telling that all launch games will also release on the one.

It will probably be holiday 2021 or later when games start coming out with no xboxone version.

Microsoft has said many times they arnt abandoning the one. They are pushing software and services much harder than hardware, thus no exclusives on Scarlett for a while.

I personally wish they would not release any next gen games on the one. I would rather they focus all efforts into making Scarlett and pc games shine. Instead I'd like them to release next gen games on Xbox one via xcloud streaming.

Not abandoning the One doesn't mean it gets AAA first party support going forward. If it isn't announced now, I wouldn't expect a native Xbox One version. You still have to sell the new hardware.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

What is the need for people to invest in a new console then? I understand that they will want to appeal to people with game pass subscriptions, but you are building a new console because there are more opportunities to innovate.

Sony said they want a clean break. I have always thought that this is the best way for any company to approach a new generation as opposed to having games launching that are cross gen.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
What is the need for people to invest in a new console then? I understand that they will want to appeal to people with game pass subscriptions, but you are building a new console because there are more opportunities to innovate.

Sony said they want a clean break. I have always thought that this is the best way for any company to approach a new generation as opposed to having games launching that are cross gen.
Phil Spencer has made it clear that he wants a more PC approach to things. At the very least they'll have cross-generational to start and go for 100% bc, and yeah a few years in a clean cut from the xbox one will happen.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Always. You will not see a developer targeting high end cards, SSD, and the latest CPU as the minimum spec.
Because the hardware is always variable. You will have an exact set of "low, mid, high" settings and things to work for. Your base minimum specs are the original xbox, the one x gets your mid settings for better resolution, and then scarlett gets every bell and whistle it can handle.

Ascenion

Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Well they've already said infinite will release on Xbox one. We will see what happens.
Well yes. I was saying games that haven't been announced by XGS are more than likely for Scarlett only. Mind you there may be some overlap up until the official unveiling of Scarlett but still.
Are pc games held back by vastly weaker cpu and gpu or do they play like crap on old systems and great on newer ones?
Surely you see how designing a game for a CPU bottlenecked 5400rpm HDD equipped console would negatively affect the version for the zen 2 CPU and heavily customized SSD designed to reduce load times. Consoles are the baseline. I expect next gen at a minimum all PC games should be launched off of a SSD for the optimal experience. Xbox One shouldn't be capable of running Scarlett/PS5 games. Games shouldn't be made with the Xbox One in mind In 2021.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Buy it on PC then, Xbox is not just a console brand anymore.

And lol people still believe the held back talk when everything is X86 now.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Because the hardware is always variable. You will have an exact set of "low, mid, high" settings and things to work for. Your base minimum specs are the original xbox, the one x gets your mid settings for better resolution, and then scarlett gets every bell and whistle it can handle.
More immersive worlds. Better A.I, better physics. There is so much more that can be achieved on a new console generation than there is in the previous generation. We just came off a generation where CPU's were the bottleneck, CPU's that were meant for mobile and tablets and people want to extend their life cycle when Zen 2 is out?

I can understand the business case for not wanting to leave Game Pass subscribers behind, but it is such an ugly process if we have to wait a year or two before we can start enjoying games tailor made for a new generation.

Deleted member 45460

Banned
Jun 27, 2018
More immersive worlds. Better A.I, better physics. There is so much more that can be achieved on a new console generation than there is in the previous generation. We just came off a generation where CPU's were the bottleneck, CPU's that were meant for mobile and tablets and people want to extend their life cycle when Zen 2 is out?

I can understand the business case for not wanting to leave Game Pass subscribers behind, but it is such an ugly process if we have to wait a year or two before we can start enjoying games tailor made for a new generation.
Just no, that's not how it works man.

Naudyboy

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 6, 2019

Their marketing has been about every game being able to run in the Xbox family. It pains me to hear it as well but it appears all of the games releasing fall of next year will have to be able to play on a traditional OG Xbox One. If they're doing it with Halo Infinity, they're going to do it with all of their games.

I guess the idea is that the Scarlett version of these games will truly look next generation. We'll have to wait and see during E3 2020.

Jan 4, 2018
Every XGS game will have a PC version, so that means they all will have versions that run on weaker hardware than Scarlett, not only GPU wise (they will run on weaker GPU than the X has for sure) but also HDD, not necessarily SSD, as PCs with SSD are not as common as you would think looking at enthusiast forums
The same goes for CPU, a Ryzen 2 won't be the min specs necessary

It'll be amusing next gen when (for the first time?) console gamers will be complaining how PC is holding games back instead of the other way around hahah

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What are you talking about? Do you remember a generation where Microsoft/Sony have had a launch title that was cross gen? Or are we simply making things as we go along to try and align ourselves to what Microsoft is doing?
Does that has more to do with tech than the need for exclusive games to push a new piece of hardware? Do you think PDZ couldn't have had a OG Xbox version?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Does that has more to do with tech than the need for exclusive games to push a new piece of hardware? Do you think PDZ couldn't have had a OG Xbox version?
Do you think that a game built around Ryzen 2, Navi GPU, SSD implementation and GDDR6 would not be better than something built around DDR3, HDD, and a 12 CU Polaris card?

My personal preference is that there is a clean break from the existing generation and we see worlds built around new hardware. That is the only reason why I look forward to a new generation once we hit the five year mark on the current gen.

And yes, I do not think that PDZ would have been possible on the original Xbox, not when you look and read what tech they took advantage of or rendering techniques.
Nah.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I think he would have been promoted if he would want to be on a higher role. Dude loves driving The Coalition/Gears Franchise

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
What are you talking about? Do you remember a generation where Microsoft/Sony have had a launch title that was cross gen? Or are we simply making things as we go along to try and align ourselves to what Microsoft is doing?

X1 wasn't BC on day 1 though, and PS4 didn't had it at all. With BC everything is cross gen.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
X1 wasn't BC on day 1 though, and PS4 didn't had it at all. With BC everything is cross gen.

Too many people still have the old mind set of generations and apparently do not listen to what Phil Spencer and other MS people say.

The approach from MS is cristal clear though getting as much people in their ecosystem as possible no matter which device they choose to play with.

If you are a Pc player, MS has you covered, playing on mobile phone only, MS will have you covered,...

Ecosystem= Xbox live (Just in case...)

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Random thought that sidesteps all the drama (also hello, been a while). What if Halo... is a free pack in? We already know it's on Game Pass.. So what if every launch (or just day one) Xbox has a free copy of Infinite. We know the company is willing to take up-front losses to build a community. If Scarlett comes with Game Pass free trial, everyone gets to play Halo ANYWAY. So.. why not go all the way and make it essentially free to play (w/ purchase of eligible device)?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I am not talking about BC. I am talking about launch titles still being built around previous gen consoles.
Too many people still have the old mind set of generations and apparently do not listen to what Phil Spencer and other MS people say.

The approach from MS is cristal clear though getting as much people in their ecosystem as possible no matter which device they choose to play with.

If you are a Pc player, MS has you covered, playing on mobile phone only, MS will have you covered,...

Ecosystem= Xbox live (Just in case...)
The thing is this, if Sony starts making games that are built around the new console exclusively, then differences will be noticeable. That first year will have the hardcore investing and talk will be of how much better experiences it is they are putting out.

Being penny wise and pound foolish, we will see what we currently see in a lot of businesses where all people are looking at is short term gain. Microsoft should not be looking at short term......get Game Pass subscribers games each month, but to people that invest in new hardware, make it worth their time.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Do you think that a game built around Ryzen 2, Navi GPU, SSD implementation and GDDR6 would not be better than something built around DDR3, HDD, and a 12 CU Polaris card?

My personal preference is that there is a clean break from the existing generation and we see worlds built around new hardware. That is the only reason why I look forward to a new generation once we hit the five year mark on the current gen.

And yes, I do not think that PDZ would have been possible on the original Xbox, not when you look and read what tech they took advantage of or rendering techniques.
I think in the early years of a new generation, most engines and tools aren't mature enough to fully utilize the power of the new gen's tech. So to go back to PDZ, I believe Rare could have stripped graphical effects and gotten it running on Xbox hardware. Not exactly the same game, but close enough.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think in the early years of a new generation, most engines and tools aren't mature enough to fully utilize the power of the new gen's tech. So to go back to PDZ, I believe Rare could have stripped graphical effects and gotten it running og Xbox hardware. Not exactly the same game, but close enough.
Launch titles generally have this issue, but it is more a function of time more than anything else. Libraries get mature with time, developers also become accustomed to working with the new hardware.

Personal preference is that we see developers trying to take advantage of hardware on day one. That is a mindset that I have had ever since I started gaming.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Random thought that sidesteps all the drama (also hello, been a while). What if Halo... is a free pack in? We already know it's on Game Pass.. So what if every launch (or just day one) Xbox has a free copy of Infinite. We know the company is willing to take up-front losses to build a community. If Scarlett comes with Game Pass free trial, everyone gets to play Halo ANYWAY. So.. why not go all the way and make it essentially free to play (w/ purchase of eligible device)?
They're going to want people to sign up to Game Pass day one and then keep them subscribing. Halo Infinite single and multiplayer will do that, so it makes no sense to include it as a pack in. The Game Pass 30 day free trial will be the pack in.

Status
Not open for further replies.