• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
It is also strange that we have Xbox One X to play base Xbox One games in 4K. Now we have a debate that it would be great to simply have another next gen console to play those games serving the Xbox One console better.

I just have a hard time reconciling that mindset when we had a mid gen refresh.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Random thought that sidesteps all the drama (also hello, been a while). What if Halo... is a free pack in? We already know it's on Game Pass.. So what if every launch (or just day one) Xbox has a free copy of Infinite. We know the company is willing to take up-front losses to build a community. If Scarlett comes with Game Pass free trial, everyone gets to play Halo ANYWAY. So.. why not go all the way and make it essentially free to play (w/ purchase of eligible device)?
I can see a free trial game pass but Halo? I dunno

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited abouf Ybarra's replacement.
Don't get me wrong, he did an amazing job turning Xbox One OS to what we have today but new leader = exciting times ahead for OS changes.

Software excites me more than hardware since that's the real differentiater between the two consoles anyway.

Services and updates. Gimme gimme.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

Rare love food and party 😅

I recognize:

Tim Schafer (Double Fine)
Jeff Strain (Undead Labs)
guillaume provost (compulsion)
Helen Chang (Mojang)
Can't remember his name but I know he's from Playground
Craig Duncan (Rare)
Nina Kristenseen (Ninja Theory)
?
Darell Gallagher (The Initiative)
Feargus Urqhart (Obsidian)

Last edited:

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
They're going to want people to sign up to Game Pass day one and then keep them subscribing. Halo Infinite single and multiplayer will do that, so it makes no sense to include it as a pack in. The Game Pass 30 day free trial will be the pack in.
I can see a free trial game pass but Halo? I dunno
Totally! But, you know what you need to use Game Pass? A compatible device! I mean, maybe xCloud will come online sooner than I expect. But, barring that, you're gonna need an Xbox. Now, Game Pass works JUST FINE on your old Xbox. You can play Halo Infinite without upgrading. Indeed, most Xbox super fans will be able to do that. And sure, maybe MS isn't that concerned about selling hardware anymore... but you know they still are - because it provides a foundation moving forward for the platform.

Would it really make that much difference in real terms? Not really. But it would be quite significant for PR purposes. Halo is FREE with a new Xbox. Yes, it was already free, but now you get it FULLY FREE. It would drive adoption from people who don't already have an Xbox and it would likely convince a few more One owners to upgrade.

Remember, marketing is about perceived value - and the fact that you guys seem to think that the value is too high is exactly why I think it's (potentially) a smart move. In real terms, everyone who buys a new Scarlett will be able to play Halo anyway with the trial game pass. Those who would play the campaign and leave are not affected either way. The people who are subbed to game pass until forever also are not affected by this. So, we're losing the people who would have bought Halo anyway, just because, and the people who would have subbed to GP only for Halo.

Not only do I think these are both increasingly small numbers of people, I also believe that getting a strong install base quickly is the best way to get more people into the ecosystem, buying things and subbing to GP. Just the friend effect around a critical mass of hype would draw in more people. If we're really REALLY worried about lost value, I would have the pack-in deal extend for like just 4 months. November to February.

(I don't actually feel that strongly about this lol, but it's fun to think about. And I think we're going to see some weird or unexpected marketing moves from MS with this launch.)

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
Totally! But, you know what you need to use Game Pass? A compatible device! I mean, maybe xCloud will come online sooner than I expect. But, barring that, you're gonna need an Xbox. Now, Game Pass works JUST FINE on your old Xbox. You can play Halo Infinite without upgrading. Indeed, most Xbox super fans will be able to do that. And sure, maybe MS isn't that concerned about selling hardware anymore... but you know they still are - because it provides a foundation moving forward for the platform.

Would it really make that much difference in real terms? Not really. But it would be quite significant for PR purposes. Halo is FREE with a new Xbox. Yes, it was already free, but now you get it FULLY FREE. It would drive adoption from people who don't already have an Xbox and it would likely convince a few more One owners to upgrade.

Remember, marketing is about perceived value - and the fact that you guys seem to think that the value is too high is exactly why I think it's (potentially) a smart move. In real terms, everyone who buys a new Scarlett will be able to play Halo anyway with the trial game pass. Those who would play the campaign and leave are not affected either way. The people who are subbed to game pass until forever also are not affected by this. So, we're losing the people who would have bought Halo anyway, just because, and the people who would have subbed to GP only for Halo.

Not only do I think these are both increasingly small numbers of people, I also believe that getting a strong install base quickly is the best way to get more people into the ecosystem, buying things and subbing to GP. Just the friend effect around a critical mass of hype would draw in more people. If we're really REALLY worried about lost value, I would have the pack-in deal extend for like just 4 months. November to February.

(I don't actually feel that strongly about this lol, but it's fun to think about. And I think we're going to see some weird or unexpected marketing moves from MS with this launch.)
Hardcore fans will buy the new console nevertheless, people not so invested on Xbox will probably play on their actual machines but that's equally good for Microsoft. At the end what really can make profits is selling games and hopefully for microsoft, subscriptions. So they want to move hardware, but they want to sell games and add subscribers even more.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

giphy.gif

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
inXile released a patch to Bard's Tale IV today that adds dynamic resolution on Xbox One X up to 4K. I had fired it up very briefly when it first launched on Game Pass and honestly couldn't keep playing because it looked too blurry for me on my 65" TV, but man I am really enjoying it now. I realize that it isn't fully AAA polish yet or anything, but my excitement for what this studio could do next under Xbox just went up by a lot. I am not usually a turn based combat player either and have taken very quickly to the system and am enjoying it a lot.
Hey, I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for the heads up. I posted my thoughts about this game a few pages back. One of my main gripes was performance on 1X and I hadn't anticipated that it would be patched.

How far are you along with the game?

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
There is a USB-C port on top. Looks like it charges on the dock from the bottom, I can't find clearer pictures but would love to know if the chatpad can be used with it.
I thought I saw the charge cable plugged in from the bottom in that twitter post for some reason. I haven't slept yet lol

It for sure has to support chat adapters if the usb c port is at the top.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think it makes sense for MS to support XB1 consoles with games at launch. I mean the fact is you have games now that run on the OG XB1 and on a PC that will be way more powerful than the Scarlett. And those PC owners don't feel games are held back by the OG XB1 - they just scale.

Sure at some point the chord will have to be cut at least to the S but I don't think it makes sense to do so initially. What you show is that HI runs way way better on Scarlett and looks way way better than it does on existing consoles. You need to have clear differentiation. Otherwise you are in trouble.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I think it makes sense for MS to support XB1 consoles with games at launch. I mean the fact is you have games now that run on the OG XB1 and on a PC that will be way more powerful than the Scarlett. And those PC owners don't feel games are held back by the OG XB1 - they just scale.

Sure at some point the chord will have to be cut at least to the S but I don't think it makes sense to do so initially. What you show is that HI runs way way better on Scarlett and looks way way better than it does on existing consoles. You need to have clear differentiation. Otherwise you are in trouble.
You have the XB1X to run base XB1 games at 4K. I really fail to understand why there is a need to have a new console and have it do what the XB1X is doing.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
You have the XB1X to run base XB1 games at 4K. I really fail to understand why there is a need to have a new console and have it do what the XB1X is doing.

There is no need to have a new console if you are satisfied with what you have now.

For me though, I will buy Scarlett day one because I want existing games to look and perform better and with new hardware comes new tech that allows developers to make games more vibrant and detailed than ever before.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Eh? The new console will be more powerful. Its like having a minimum spec recommended PC and saying "no point having a beast that runs it at 4k 144FPS with all effects turned up to very high I can just run it at 900p on very low at 30"

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
inXile released a patch to Bard's Tale IV today that adds dynamic resolution on Xbox One X up to 4K. I had fired it up very briefly when it first launched on Game Pass and honestly couldn't keep playing because it looked too blurry for me on my 65" TV, but man I am really enjoying it now. I realize that it isn't fully AAA polish yet or anything, but my excitement for what this studio could do next under Xbox just went up by a lot. I am not usually a turn based combat player either and have taken very quickly to the system and am enjoying it a lot.
No kidding. I just finished BT2 and started BT3 this morning so stoked that they added an X patch before I started 4!

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
There is no need to have a new console if you are satisfied with what you have now.

For me though, I will buy Scarlett day one because I want existing games to look and perform better and with new hardware comes new tech that allows developers to make games more vibrant and detailed than ever before.
Eh? The new console will be more powerful. Its like having a minimum spec recommended PC and saying "no point having a beast that runs it at 4k 144FPS with all effects turned up to very high I can just run it at 900p on very low at 30"
There is a reason we have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. From a logical point of view, making games on two generations does not make sense. At all. From a platform holder.

The one exception I could think of is Halo Infinite because they revealed it early and have stated that it will be on both.
Forgive me my sarcasm meter is in the shop, but just to make sure... joking right?
No. It is a serious question as to why they need to cater to older tech when making new games for a new generation. It has always been the case that platform holders to transition to new tech while your sports titles and some bigger AAA titles cater to both. So it comes as a surprise that people are, well, surprised.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
There is a reason we have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. From a logical point of view, making games on two generations does not make sense. At all. From a platform holder.

The reason for Ps4 Pro was PSVR and the reason for Xbox one X was to have a more powerful hardware that make games look and perform better.

It would be stupid if MS would stop supporting the Xbox one just because the Scarlett released. It is like having a Pc that doesn't can run new games anymore just because AMD or NVIDIA released a new GPU . Utterly senseless.

There will just be the point sometime when the Xbox one can't run games properly enough anymore or only very few people still play on it and MS decides to not support it anymore, that's it.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
No. It is a serious question as to why they need to cater to older tech when making new games for a new generation. It has always been the case that platform holders to transition to new tech while your sports titles and some bigger AAA titles cater to both. So it comes as a surprise that people are, well, surprised.
I agree that there should be some Scarlett exclusive games at launch. The baseline platform will always constrain the scope of a game's development and launching a 'next gen' console without any 'next gen' hardware-scoped games isn't something I'm excited by. At the end of the day - unless 343 are actually building a whole different game on Slipspace for Scarlett's HI, which I doubt - they're still the same games implementing largely the same code with different render targets, just like XB1/XB1X. So why buy the new hardware at launch, if like me, you're happy with 4k30 on 1X and don't feel the need for 1080p@120fps?

It seems that there's a Don Mattrick 'we have a console for that' attitude behind saying that Scarlett 'isn't for you' if you don't want to play games on a console with this top-tier, PC-like render target. Yes, onboarding old-gen users is required, but not at the expense of the new console's vision and launch.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The reason for Ps4 Pro was PSVR and the reason for Xbox one X was to have a more powerful hardware that make games look and perform better.

It would be stupid if MS would stop supporting the Xbox one just because the Scarlett released. It is like having a Pc that doesn't can run new games anymore just because AMD or NVIDIA released a new GPU . Utterly senseless.

There will just be the point sometime when the Xbox one can't run games properly enough anymore or only very few people still play on it and MS decides to not support it anymore, that's it.

I'd agree with you here if it weren't for the inclusion of the SSD in Scarlett and PS5. The sooner devs can cut ties to the old hardware with slower HDD's, the better! I'd like to see developers freed from the shackles of duplicating data and having to build asset load wait times into their game design.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but they lost this generation. Their goal needs to be to convert existing Xbox users to Scarlett and to attract non Xbox users to Scarlett. You can't do the latter while solely pushing cross gen games. The former is also more likely with exclusive next gen games because they are already effectively paying for them.
No. Their "job" is attracting gamers to Game Pass and xCloud. They don't care about "winning" a box under the TV when they are more focused on you playing on whatever device you are in front of at any given time with xCloud.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I'd agree with you here if it weren't for the inclusion of the SSD in Scarlett and PS5. The sooner devs can cut ties to the old hardware with slower HDD's, the better! I'd like to see developers freed from the shackles of duplicating data and having to build asset load wait times into their game design.

I agree with you it would make more sense for developers but if MS wants to keep its current useres happy they need to support the Xbox one as not all will switch to a new console within the first month or years.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
No. Their "job" is attracting gamers to Game Pass and xCloud. They don't care about "winning" a box under the TV when they are more focused on you playing on whatever device you are in front of at any given time with xCloud.

Game Pass will only succeed if the platforms that support it flourish. Do you see how much money Sony made this generation off of services? It is because they have a alot of consoles out there.

xCloud will open things up some more but I think it's silly to rely too much on that when there is no indication that such a service can be successful. The fact that Microsoft is pushing it as a supplement to console instead of replacement (for now) even supports the need for success of the underlying platform.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I agree with you it would make more sense for developers but if MS wants to keep its current useres happy they need to support the Xbox one as not all will switch to a new console within the first month or years.

Those gamers should probably be used to support dwindling at the tail end of a console life cycle. Ideally they'll still get a ton of third party games while the first party leads the charge on the new console.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

MS will always also target pc, which will mean they will always have to handle slower HDDs in the engine. I really doubt they make ssds a requirement on PC

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

The one exception I could think of is Halo Infinite because they revealed it early and have stated that it will be on both.

No sense at all? Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. And we'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console. Lets say half buy it, thats 1.5M.

OR

Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. We'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console and the ~50M owners of an XB1. Lets say 10% buy it, that's 5.3M.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
No sense at all? Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. And we'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console. Lets say half buy it, thats 1.5M.

OR

Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. We'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console and the ~50M owners of an XB1. Lets say 10% buy it, that's 5.3M.

Is there something different about this generation from the last? Is it because the similarities in hardware should make it easier than previously? Because what you are suggesting is literally the case for every next generation launch ever.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

OR

Imagine you subbed to Game Pass for the next 2 years already and with the release of Scarlett you won't get any new games until you buy the Scarlett. :D

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS will always also target pc, which will mean they will always have to handle slower HDDs in the engine. I really doubt they make ssds a requirement on PC

You think? I'm not really up to date on the pricing of PC components, but will making an SSD the minimum requirement for new games in 1 to 2 years be that unreasonable?

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
If it wouldn't make sense to make games on 2 generations for first party it would also apply to 3rd party then. Revenue is revenue no matter who gets it.

No, it isn't. 3rd parties job is to sell as many copies of games as possible. 1st parties job is to sell consoles. The larger the console base, the more the platform holder makes off licensing and services. 3rd parties typically carry on cross gen much longer than 1st as a result.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Great preview. Also noticed it has 350k views. Alot of previews have alot of views. Makes sense offcourse. But alot of eyes on FS

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
Most advanced and doesn't have the option to use batteries. I don't know about that.

Also, I'll be very curious about build quality reports.

i'm keeping my receipt and pushing for an exchange the instant anything fails. i'm assuming this was a key priority, MS was definitely aware of the elite's issues, but all the new features have me concerned.

as much as i love my elite, its in shambles and i feel like i got screwed by its build quality

Status
Not open for further replies.