• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I've always been of the mind that 1st party games will be truly cross-gen for some time after Scarlett launched for the reasons people have already mentioned. Bigger userbase to sell to. They no longer care as much about how many Xbox they sell. Larger focus on GP which would splinter if you don't have cross-gen. Same architecture for the first time across gens. Fully BC makes it a tougher sell to not also be FC.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
I'm stoked for the next Xbox! The best thing is we have so many games to play and still coming before then. Loving Gears 5 (I choose right) and can't wait for Ori 2. I can't express enough how amazing Ori is. The game is really a pure definition of an amazing, fun, engrossing game. It's going to be my one of my highlights of 2020 easily. I hope XO19 has some teases for the next year. Like are we ready for their games blowout in E3 2020?! It's going to be so good :) Almost done with 2019 and only 6 months till E3 oh boy here we go!!

Jan 4, 2018
I hope they make an xCloud app for 360 so they can make fun at XBO's launch by saying "and if you don't care about playing locally at the highest settings we have a product for you, it's called Xbox 360"

Too soon to laugh about it?

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I'm excited abouf Ybarra's replacement.
Don't get me wrong, he did an amazing job turning Xbox One OS to what we have today but new leader = exciting times ahead for OS changes.

Software excites me more than hardware since that's the real differentiater between the two consoles anyway.

Services and updates. Gimme gimme.

Any idea who his replacement is?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I'm stoked for the next Xbox! The best thing is we have so many games to play and still coming before then. Loving Gears 5 (I choose right) and can't wait for Ori 2. I can't express enough how amazing Ori is. The game is really a pure definition of an amazing, fun, engrossing game. It's going to be my one of my highlights of 2020 easily. I hope XO19 has some teases for the next year. Like are we ready for their games blowout in E3 2020?! It's going to be so good :) Almost done with 2019 and only 6 months till E3 oh boy here we go!!

:)

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
No. Their "job" is attracting gamers to Game Pass and xCloud. They don't care about "winning" a box under the TV when they are more focused on you playing on whatever device you are in front of at any given time with xCloud.
This 100%. You could be playing games on a toaster and as long as you are subscribed to game pass thats a win for them.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Does anyone else want to see MS develop a Football game? (American football)
They wouldn't be allowed to use NFL licensed Teams or Players, because EA holds the exclusive American Football license. MS would have to make a made up football game that would fail due to not being licensed or a game based on the upcoming X-treme Football League (XFL), which won't happen because this will be the first year it launches Feb 2020 and the league would need to prove staying power.

At one time MS did make 2 sports titles NFL Fever it was on the OG Xbox.. and NBA Inside Drive... for the OG Xbox as well. MS shut down their sports studios though so it has a zero percent chance of happening. They did build quality sports titles though. 2 of my personal favorites.

Last edited:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How realistic is Relic games atm? They are offcourse own by Sega. But if they are now tight to AoE you dont want to have them not owned really. Same like with Playground. You have a big IP like Forza with them and you dont really want to have a "second party" in charge of that when they can just move at some point. Big reason they were scooped up also. Same with Asobo and Flight Sim now.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone else want to see MS develop a Football game? (American football)

I'd be surprised if that was anywhere near a priority right now. They have a huge presence in the USA, about the only country truly interested in that sport, so if anything they'd have to tackle actual football (soccer), but EA's hegemony is too much to tackle (look at how far PES is).

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
How realistic is Relic games atm? They are offcourse own by Sega. But if they are now tight to AoE you dont want to have them not owned really. Same like with Playground. You have a big IP like Forza with them and you dont really want to have a "second party" in charge of that when they can just move at some point. Big reason they were scooped up also. Same with Asobo and Flight Sim now.
Pretty much 0%. I guess they went with a multi year, multi title contract with Relic and in addition created their own Age of Empires studio lead by Shannon. More - including the studio name - likely at X019.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

You answered your question yourself. It is utterly reasonable to buy a 2nd party studio if you plan to occupie them long term.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Pretty much 0%. I guess they went with a multi year, multi title contract with Relic and in addition created their own Age of Empires studio lead by Shannon. More - including the studio name - likely at X019.

Ah, forgot about that they now have their own studio for AoE but in general studios already tied strongly to MS should be focused on in the aquisition discussion imo.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if we cant count that studio as full one dev studio tho. Dont know if thats the plan also.

TruthSeeker

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I'd be surprised if that was anywhere near a priority right now. They have a huge presence in the USA, about the only country truly interested in that sport, so if anything they'd have to tackle actual football (soccer), but EA's hegemony is too much to tackle (look at how far PES is).
Well Not necessarily, because before EA got exclusive rights from the NFL for licensing there were multiple NFL titles that were all pretty successful the license can generate a lot of money.

But there is the problem as mentioned... as of right now only EA sports can make a licensed NFL game to include the real teams and players... Effectively killing off any chance of any other developer other than EA to make a successful NFL game (American Football). Xbox Game Studios also don't have any active sports studios... I doubt (wait there is a 0% chance) they would build a new sports studio from the ground up to develop a generic football game.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Not sure if we cant count that studio as full one dev studio tho. Dont know if thats the plan also.
It is. Obviously they just got created and it's still early. They are responsible for the Age of Empires franchise, similar to what 343, Turn 10, Mojang or The Coalition. I think everything else is kinda disrespectful towards the devs working there, including Ishmae1, Shannon, the new community girl coming from Rare and so many more. They are a full studio and even Adam confirmed that earlier here.

Again, more maybe at X019.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
Reading the past few pages..

There's absolutely no way ALL the new 1st party games for Scarlett will also play on Xbox One..that's lunacy. Of course a few will that make sense given their timeline but MS certainly needs to flex Scarletts muscle with system movers otherwise what the hell is the point of launching it.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It is. Obviously they just got created and it's still early. They are responsible for the Age of Empires franchise, similar to what 343, Turn 10, Mojang or The Coalition. I think everything else is kinda disrespectful towards the devs working there, including Ishmae1 and co. They are a full studio and even Adam confirmed that earlier here.

Again, more maybe at X019.
Nothing disrespectful from me. Just all the games are atm made are outsourced. Wich is totally fine by me and i am fine with that studio being in charge of the franchise.
Just curious what the plan is for the future of its gonna be a fully fledged studio. Because like i said if MS thinks the AoE is important to them for the future. You want to keep thing in house as much as possible. Thays why the Relic question.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

There's absolutely no way ALL the new 1st party games for Scarlett will also play on Xbox One..that's lunacy. Of course a few will that make sense given their timeline but MS certainly needs to flex Scarletts muscle with system movers otherwise what the hell is the point of launching it.
A game like Cyberpunk running 4k/60 without issue with dramatically cut down load times on Scarlet will be enough for the first year of release and would have me first in line

Jan 4, 2018
Nothing disrespectful from me. Just all the games are atm made are outsourced. Wich is totally fine by me and i am fine with that studio being in charge of the franchise.
Just curious what the plan is for the future of its gonna be a fully fledged studio. Because like i said if MS thinks the AoE is important to them for the future. You want to keep thing in house as much as possible. Thays why the Relic question.
I'd guess they'll play a supervising role while they continue to grow and eventually for AoE5 or whatever project is next (AoM? RoN?) they'll develop it inhouse

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yea, I get you now. All cool my friend :)

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

People really need to get the generations thing out of their head. They are already committed to day one pc versions of each 1st party game. That means they are already thinking about low end performing machines vs. high end. Gears runs great on a shitty laptop at 30fps and looks incredible on a great desktop at 4k/144hz. This hamstringing isn't a thing. They will have their games just barely running on an xbox one at 30fps and then the scarlett will be a baseline of 4k/60 with many games going for 120. The fancy load times will obviously be a thing because it'll be on ps5 as well, why are people convinced they'll give up millions of potential sales? Scarlett exclusives will not happen for YEARS.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
People really need to get the generations thing out of their head. They are already committed to day one pc versions of each 1st party game. That means they are already thinking about low end performing machines vs. high end. Gears runs great on a shitty laptop at 30fps and looks incredible on a great desktop at 4k/144hz. This hamstringing isn't a thing. They will have their games just barely running on an xbox one at 30fps and then the scarlett will be a baseline of 4k/60 with many games going for 120. The fancy load times will obviously be a thing because it'll be on ps5 as well, why are people convinced they'll give up millions of potential sales? Scarlett exclusives will not happen for YEARS.
So you're saying with a straight face that for the first time in history a new system will launch without one single console exclusive?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Its the first time now that the new gen line has been blurred really. So i am not expecting it to be the same as it was always before. At the end current consoles are are also of X86 architecture and technically just "another pc version" to scale down to. Also with BC in the mix the next gen line has been blurred and isnt really a cut off point. Although it is spec wise abit.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
No sense at all? Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. And we'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console. Lets say half buy it, thats 1.5M.

OR

Lets spend billions on a next gen AAA development. We'll sell it to the 3M new owners of that console and the ~50M owners of an XB1. Lets say 10% buy it, that's 5.3M.
How have they been selling games in prior console launches?

Why are people behaving as if this is a new, miraculous problem that has not been faced before? You create games for a new system, exclusively for that system to essentially force people onto that system....this is how the business has worked from since before Microsoft got into the industry. It is nothing new.
The reason for Ps4 Pro was PSVR and the reason for Xbox one X was to have a more powerful hardware that make games look and perform better.

It would be stupid if MS would stop supporting the Xbox one just because the Scarlett released. It is like having a Pc that doesn't can run new games anymore just because AMD or NVIDIA released a new GPU . Utterly senseless.

There will just be the point sometime when the Xbox one can't run games properly enough anymore or only very few people still play on it and MS decides to not support it anymore, that's it.
You think that Sony invested money on a mid generation refresh so that they could sell VR? That they came up with a niche product so that they could sell an even more niche product? They must be dumb as rocks if that was their thinking behind the endeavor.

I agree that there should be some Scarlett exclusive games at launch. The baseline platform will always constrain the scope of a game's development and launching a 'next gen' console without any 'next gen' hardware-scoped games isn't something I'm excited by. At the end of the day - unless 343 are actually building a whole different game on Slipspace for Scarlett's HI, which I doubt - they're still the same games implementing largely the same code with different render targets, just like XB1/XB1X. So why buy the new hardware at launch, if like me, you're happy with 4k30 on 1X and don't feel the need for 1080p@120fps?

It seems that there's a Don Mattrick 'we have a console for that' attitude behind saying that Scarlett 'isn't for you' if you don't want to play games on a console with this top-tier, PC-like render target. Yes, onboarding old-gen users is required, but not at the expense of the new console's vision and launch.
Someone that actually gets it.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
So you're saying with a straight face that for the first time in history a new system will launch without one single console exclusive?

I'll say it. Yep. And it's good for consumers to have options rather than be force fed to buy expensive hardware if they don't care about performance but still want to play with their friends.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'll say it. Yep. And it's good for consumers to have options rather than be force fed to buy expensive hardware if they don't care about performance but still want to play with their friends.
Then why even bother with a new console? You are building a new console so that developers can put out better experiences.

Without this, the industry stagnates and dies off. Plus no business, especially in the tech space will stop improving their hardware offering.....if they are doing that, they must justify putting it out. In gaming, that has always been cutting the umbilical cord that ties to the previous generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.