• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Does #teamcrossgen think Scarlett version of games will be "cross buy" with Xbox One versions?

Apr 6, 2018
EGIeWjaXUAEbKdV

Can we try to move on?

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
The suggestion that Microsoft doesn't need to sell consoles anymore is weird to me. I completely agree they are all about the services now, but to sell a service you need an entry point for people. They have the following:

xCloud : currently pushed as a supplement to existing users of ecosystem. Immature market, unlikely to do significant numbers for years

PC : presumably a small part of the Xbox ecosystem.

Xbox One : presumably an overwhelming part of the Xbox ecosystem.

The success of their services is tied directly to the number of consoles they sell, at least for the foreseeable future.
No one is saying they don't need to sell consoles, we are saying they don't NEED to sell Scarlett. They already have an ENTRY point, it's called a cheap One S. You think a $500 Scarlett is an entry point for new customers within the first year? Most of that audience will be lateral spending, people buying one that are already in the ecosystem. MS needs NEW customers in the ecosystem, yes, and selling them a One S, getting them using Game Pass and xCloud is all they need. They aren't making money on hardware so they don't need a new customer to buy their new premium product if the old one gets them into the ecosystem for the first time.

You're thinking way too oldschool. This isn't the 360 and PS3 era...MS has more effective and cheaper entry points instead for Scarlett. They don't need to sell a new customer on Scarlett right out of the gate, they can take a couple years to do that.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
No one is saying they don't need to sell consoles, we are saying they don't NEED to sell Scarlett. They already have an ENTRY point, it's called a cheap One S. You think a $500 Scarlett is an entry point for new customers within the first year? Most of that audience will be lateral spending, people buying one that are already in the ecosystem. MS needs NEW customers in the ecosystem, yes, and selling them a One S, getting them using Game Pass and xCloud is all they need. They aren't making money on hardware so they don't need a new customer to buy their new premium product if the old one gets them into the ecosystem for the first time.

You're thinking way too oldschool. This isn't the 360 and PS3 era...MS has more effective and cheaper entry points instead for Scarlett. They don't need to sell a new customer on Scarlett right out of the gate, they can take a couple years to do that.

I still believe that console marketshare is going to be important going forward. When third parties are choosing what platforms to put their games on and Scarlett has poor marketshare due to offering less compelling next gen content, we'll end up getting the same support that we are now.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Halo infinite is an Xbox one game. They've said as much. It was never stated to be a next gen game and then ported down. It's been 5 years of dev time. There's no difference. Basically your argument is that if halo were to come out 4 months earlier and then get a remaster there would be no issue
They stated that it is a launch title at E3. Huge difference.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

This thinking is good, but misplaced. Microsoft dumps old consoles faster than any player in the market I can think of. The worse it does, the more easily they move on from it.

Nov 23, 2018
Scarlett games will be optimized for Scarlett. Future and backwards compatibility has been Xbox's message for several years now. This doesn't mean Scarlett (or XGS games) are being held back in any way.

Judge is spot on.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

All of this is true, but simultaneously the cost of these new systems will be dictated by multiple factors such as the age of the hardware components, die shrinks, and also mass manufacturing or bulk. In other words, the more they sell, the cheaper their orders are likely to be, and the more leeway they'll have on future pricing and hardware profitability.

I'm sure publishers etc will eventually want to move on from cross platform titles too, at which point the NextBox's install base may matter when it comes to exclusivity deals etc.

Also on that point, I think the hardware could potentially become profitable fairly early on for both platform providers. Both the Xbox One and the PS4 hit hardware profitability very early on, and whilst hardware profits are generally far less than service or software based profits (though I'm not sure how profitable Game Pass is or will or will not be), next gen hardware sales will still add to the overall picture in contributing an install base of higher spending enthusiast consumers or early adopters. But perhaps PC gamers could compensate for much of that for Xbox.

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
Scarlett games will be optimized for Scarlett. Future and backwards compatibility has been Xbox's message for several years now. This doesn't mean Scarlett (or XGS games) are being held back in any way.

Judge is spot on.
Also Microsoft could just make Scarlett games available on Xbox one through Xcloud and not necessarily make developers not use the full potential of Scarlett. I always thought this is how they were handling backwards and forward compatibility.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Maybe MS doesn't need any more studios?

They have 15? That's a shit load of new content coming when all those studios start firing on all cylinders.

I only really want more studios if those studios are Japanese, or Ace Team (which won't happen).

Japanese studios because they'd bring a genuinely different kind of game and art to the ecosystem. Ace Team because they deserve an unlimited budget to make some seriously weird shit.

Im not gonna rage against a central or northern European studio, there are some great ones that would be cool additions. I just don't think they offer anything drastically different than existing UK and NA studios, in general.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018

Judge is spot on.

How could they not be? Were sitting around talking about the innovations that a high speed SSD will bring to game design and their games will be built around 5400rpm hard drives.

Oct 26, 2018
Don't discount Xcloud and PC. My prediction is there will be more Xcloud and PC Game Pass subscriptions than console within the next 2 years.

Hottest take I've seen in awhle. I just can't see that happening, particularly xcloud.

Also, weren't most 1St party games being of this gen Cross gen? I could see probably the first yr/ year and a half being like that

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
IO Interactive
Jade Raymond Studio

Asobo
Hazelight
Quantic Dream
Bluepoint Games

I'm running out of a wishlist here.

For the sake of X019 fun, I'm adding RAD, Hello Games and Dontnod

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new acquisitions opens the door to IP sharing, right? Like if one studio wants to take a crack at another's IP and the other agrees, it shouldn't be a problem, right? This particularly applies to Rare as they are namely a New IP factory now, and I think some of their legacy IP might be a great fit with other developers (Perfect Dark with Obsidian, Conker with Double Fine, Jet Force Gemini with Ninja Theory) and hope the new relationships help remove those barriers if needed.

I'd also love to see how Obsidian might take on a Wasteland game and InXile a Pillars of Eternity or Age of Empires game, if both sides are willing of course.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the new acquisitions opens the door to IP sharing, right? Like if one studio wants to take a crack at another's IP and the other agrees, it shouldn't be a problem, right? This particularly applies to Rare as they are namely a New IP factory now, and I think some of their legacy IP might be a great fit with other developers (Perfect Dark with Obsidian, Conker with Double Fine, Jet Force Gemini with Ninja Theory) and hope the new relationships help remove those barriers if needed.

I'd also love to see how Obsidian might take on a Wasteland game and InXile a Pillars of Eternity or Age of Empires game, if both sides are willing of course.
It's possible, but I doubt we'll see much of that happening outside of Forza Horizon.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
IO Interactive
Jade Raymond Studio

Asobo
Hazelight
Quantic Dream
Bluepoint Games

I'm running out of a wishlist here.

For the sake of X019 fun, I'm adding RAD, Hello Games and Dontnod

Here's My Wishlist Of Varying Levels of Realism (after losing IO if you need any more inspiration):

Bloober Team
WayForward
Frontier (if they weren't so big)
JP Games
Asobo (we share them)
Amy Hennig Studio
Playful
Nihon Falcom (difficult dur to Japanese laws and Public trading)
A44
Arc System Works
DLaLa
Iron Galaxy
Dotemu

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

I'm sure I remember an interview with Matt Booty where he said that, while they wouldn't be telling their studios what to make, they were free to make pitches on any MS-owned IP they wanted to.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I still believe that console marketshare is going to be important going forward. When third parties are choosing what platforms to put their games on and Scarlett has poor marketshare due to offering less compelling next gen content, we'll end up getting the same support that we are now.
can i use your crystal ball too?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see "hey they are working with X publisher for new game" means Microsoft won't acquire them though, just like Obsidian.

Oct 26, 2018
Here's My Wishlist Of Varying Levels of Realism (after losing IO if you need any more inspiration):

Bloober Team
WayForward
JP Games
Asobo (we share them)
Amy Hennig Studio
Playful
A44
Arc System Works
DLaLa
Iron Galaxy
Dotemu
At least 3 of those are publicly traded

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018

Bloober Team
WayForward
JP Games
Asobo (we share them)
Amy Hennig Studio
Playful
A44
Arc System Works
DLaLa
Iron Galaxy
Dotemu

Bloober Team would be so great. They already have the talent, they just need budget.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Hottest take I've seen in awhle. I just can't see that happening, particularly xcloud.

Also, weren't most 1St party games being of this gen Cross gen? I could see probably the first yr/ year and a half being like that

Referring to the combination of the 2. PC alone may have more Game Pass subscribers than Xbox in the next 2 years. Cuphead and Alan Wake sold as much on PC as they did on console where all the marketing was. Look at the Destiny 2 numbers for a game made by a developer who's made console games for nearly 2 decades before expanding back to PC. Mindshare can explode on PC. PC gamers, by nature, are more enthusiastic and informed than the average console gamer. This coming from a former PC gamer who now prefers consoles.

Which is why as a console gamer, I'm very happy that Microsoft has their games on Steam. It's good for the support of the next wave of new IPs so we don't repeat the Sunset Overdrive, Ryse, Quantum Break situations next gen.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Bloober Team would be so great. They already have the talent, they just need budget.
Agreed. I loved Blair Witch for its atomsphere, storytelling, reverance for the movies, mechanics and design. It really only suffered for me in QA, Polish and some Textures. I think with the right budget, they will be at the forefront of horror games, especially in this post Silent Hill world.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Also for the people that think console sales are vital for competition and for Xbox to have permission to keep developing hardware....you all realize that whatever tech is in the next Xbox you buy.... it's the exact same tech that will be put on those racks in the cloud...right? The R&D cost is mostly for the APU...which is what will be used from the Azure servers.

There's going to be crossplay for everything pretty soon.

There's absolutely no reason for console gamers to give a shit about console sales anymore. The platform has expanded. It's actually a good thing for console gamers. If Game Pass and Microsoft's IPs are a success due to PC, cloud and cross gen games, it's actually better for the future of console. This isn't a zero sum game. The pie your trying to figure out how to cut is getting much bigger.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Should clarify - I imagine everyone's free to pitch for IP that's... shall we say, 'in the vault', but I imagine that the studio that manages a current IP would have last say on whether another member of the family gets to play around in their garden. So to speak.
Glad to hear. Thanks.

Tim Schafer actually said exactly that in an interview

When asked if Double Fine would ever let other teams within Microsoft work on one of their IPs, Schafer said while it wouldn't "immediately make sense to have anyone else do them," it would still be a "case by case" decision.

"If someone's like, 'I grew up playing Middle Manager of Justice and I really want to put my whole development team behind that,' I mean, we would talk to them, but it's it's probably more likely that we would do our own [IPs]."

www.gameinformer.com

Tim Schafer On Microsoft Acquisition And The Future Of Double Fine

Double Fine is now part of Xbox Game Studios. What inspired this partnership? We sat down with Tim Schafer to find out.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Should clarify - I imagine everyone's free to pitch for IP that's... shall we say, 'in the vault', but I imagine that the studio that manages a current IP would have last say on whether another member of the family gets to play around in their garden. So to speak.
Makes sense. I think it's best that way as it helps maintain IP integrity. If, hypothetically (it would never happen)? Ninja Theory pitched an M rated, hyper violent Banjo Kazooie Hack and Slash, I could see why it would be best to consult Rare.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Iron Galaxy would be a good studio to acquire to get fighting games into the portfolio. I strongly believe they need some Asian studios though. Until then I won't truly feel as if they can lay low for a bit. Maybe they can't sell the console in certain parts of the world but if someone will sign up for Game Pass to play a game they can stream to most any device that's win.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Tim Schafer actually said exactly that in an interview

www.gameinformer.com

Tim Schafer On Microsoft Acquisition And The Future Of Double Fine

Double Fine is now part of Xbox Game Studios. What inspired this partnership? We sat down with Tim Schafer to find out.

Knightmawk with the receipts. Thanks!

Makes sense. I think it's best that way as it helps maintain IP integrity. If, hypothetically (it would never happen)? Ninja Theory pitched an M rated, hyper violent Banjo Kazooie Hack and Slash, I could see why it would be best to consult Rare.

Is it weird that I kind of want this now?

Makes a lot of sense in Double Fine's case. They have a tone and feel that is hard to quantify and replicate.

Yeah, this is broadly why I was thinking the managing studio would have the final word. But I shouldn't think there's anything stopping, say, Obsidian pitching for... oh, I don't know... Shadowrun?

Ahem.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

agree

Status
Not open for further replies.