• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have a solid answer for what happens with XGS games on Game Pass? I feel like every few months we get a "Oh a first party game is leaving" thing and I don't know how it works.

unknown.png

Apr 6, 2018
We'll if he's just invited as a high-ranking Obsidian employee or if he's presenting something.

Hard to believe the game he tacitly announced via the field notes tweet is ready to be shown in any capacity.

But if he is, I'm auto-in whatever it is. Guy's an elite director (New Vegas, PoE, PoE2).

And I hope he reviews his shower at whatever place he stays at in London. We need more of those videos lol.
Which field notes if I may ask?
Just wanna ask how many of you Xbros are hyped for Death Stranding? I'm for sure am, it's the last game I'll play on my jet engine Pro and sell the console. Do you think it's plausible that Kojima's next game will be multi platform or will he stick to Sony?

Disclaimer: I'm not console waring by any means, asking out of pure curiosity.
I'm interested to the gameplay, but I can't stand passing 8 hrs of cutscene about interdimensional mumbo jumbo
Is Studio Dlala not on Battletoads anymore? Also is Forgotten Empires the New name for the AoE team?
Forgotten Empires was a community of modders which turned into a studio and worked on the hd editions
So realistic that I can see Norman Reedus climbing the mountain
How's about we all chill and just enjoy the show?
Do you think that scoring points in the list wars is a joke? We are fighters boy
They've got to give us SOMETHING for Infinite.
343i:
471.jpg

Do we have a solid answer for what happens with XGS games on Game Pass? I feel like every few months we get a "Oh a first party game is leaving" thing and I don't know how it works.

unknown.png
Tyranny is owned by Paradox

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Sadly I probably won't be able to watch X019 because I'm gonna be at work while the stream is happening but I'mma try to stay up to date when I can.

I'm guessing that Inside Xbox episode is gonna be a hot 2 hours.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
If 343 want Flights that will actually have a significant impact on the final product they have to do them sooner than later. Doing flights later in 2020 will be too late to actually implement significant changes.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
didnt that phantom game get cancelled?

Yes, but they still . They ported the original game.
It honestly felt like they were entirely oblivious to the fact it was never released in Europe, so not only was it already a bit of an obscure title that wasn't hugely successful in the US, there were few "fans" outside of the US and a limited appetite for the game

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The only person that cared about Voodoo Vince was Phil Spencer. I honestly think that along with Phantom Dust port, those are 2 of the most weird misjudged moments or what fans want (Phantom Dust even moreso)
Phantom Dust felt like it was ahead of it's time and I'm sure Phil Spencer could see a future for a unique online multiplayer RTS card collecting action GaaS that was also a JRPG for single players make money. The port was just a fill in for canceling the game until they found a new developer.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
That would be interesting. First it was suppose to be shown at e3 but they ended up saving it for xo. Or maybe vga. Doubt it'll ever be exclusive to Xbox again.

Aug 26, 2019
So Halo 5 got a teaser at E3 2013 even though 4 had just released the previous November. Is it crazy to expect a Gears 6 teaser at E3 2020 or even X019?

I think that MS should capitalize on 5's success and strike while the iron is hot.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

That is not something that I get to decide, but I do think that the relatively low sales of Deadfire mean that if we consider making another Pillars game in this style, we're going to have to re-examine the entire format of the game.

It is difficult to know exactly why a sequel sells worse than its predecessor if both games review relatively well. Is it because the first game satisfied the existing need and the audience just wasn't interested in the second? Is it because awareness was lower for the sequel? Is it because despite the strong reviews and the strong sales for the first game, people didn't "really" like it? Maybe it's a combination of all of these things.

The problem is that without really understanding the reason(s), it's hard to know how to move forward. It would be easier in some ways if Deadfire were also a colossal critical failure and we could point to the massive screw-ups that we needed to address. Players did criticize the low difficulty at launch and the main plot, which I think are fair and reasonable, but those problems alone don't really explain the difference in sales. And while player reviews were weaker for Deadfire than for Pillars 1, professional criticism tended to say that Deadfire was an improvement over the first game in most areas.

(Yes, Deadfire has an 88 Metacritic and Pillars 1 has an 89 Metacritic, but IMO Pillars 1′s review scores benefited from a nostalgia bump.)

Players who hate RTwP combat will say that it's because Deadfire continued using RTwP combat, in contrast to the phenomenally better-selling (and better-reviewed) turn-based Divinity: OS2. Even if that's true, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, which generally had lower review scores than Deadfire, sold better than Deadfire and had RTwP combat.

I'm sure some of the people reading this think they know precisely why Deadfire sold worse than Pillars 1. I don't have that confidence, which is one of several reasons why I am leery about trying to direct a sequel. I couldn't give our (Obsidian's) audience the game that they wanted and without understanding where I went wrong, I would be guessing at what the problems are and how to remedy them.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018

It's great to see that even though they have creative freedom, it doesn't mean they are going to launch games that are bad commercially, even with GamePass as the main focus. I think that inXile also thinks the same.
These words reassure me.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Im not familiar with his work apart form assuming these are a bunch of iso-RPGs? Id be willing to give it a go if it was 3rd person, really cant get into iso games.
I think they are going in that direction, with TOW2 being a commercial success they know what the public wants.

Oct 25, 2017
Isometric RPG's can be hugely successful, like Divinity 2, Path of Exile, Diablo, and other things. Disco Elysium is one of the most unique and revolutionary RPG's i have ever played so i truly hope that Obsidian doesn't give on that style of game. The Outer Worlds is really good, too, but we have room for everything, especially with Game Pass.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
Isometric RPG's can be hugely successful, like Divinity 2, Path of Exile, Diablo, and other things. Disco Elysium is one of the most unique and revolutionary RPG's i have ever played so i truly hope that Obsidian doesn't give on that style of game. The Outer Worlds is really good, too, but we have room for everything, especially with Game Pass.
Path of Exile and Diablo are hack'n'slash, not RPG. You can't compare them to Pillars of Eternity.

Apr 6, 2018
Is anyone in the industry more direct than Sawyer? Damn.

FWIW - it's a shame such a well-made game failed to live up to commercial expectations.
I had to play it yet, but two friens of mine who backed the game of fig were let down by the plot and the combat system. Still it remains painful to watch that he's the first one to be let down since he genuenly tried to make the fans happy

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The earliest I can see it released is 2022 but probably delayed to 2023.

Oh that wouldn't surprise me either, and that's OK, as much as I want the game,haha. I asked it because I wonder if they are able to show it in gameplay form next year. Even if it's gonna be quite a few years off from releasing.

I really hope to see as little CG teasers as possible. Take Horizon ZD for example, people were amazed when they saw gameplay for the first time and it was still quite a ways away from release. But I just wonder if PG can have something ready around the time of next E3.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
The only person that cared about Voodoo Vince was Phil Spencer. I honestly think that along with Phantom Dust port, those are 2 of the most weird misjudged moments or what fans want (Phantom Dust even moreso)
Voodoo Vince was awesome, and I loved playing it again. Xbox needs more games that ooze charm like that.
Sony just released a remake of the 1998 game MediEvil which appears to have sold very well in the first week. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was released in 2012 for the PS3 and had various characters drawn from different PlayStation video game franchises. One thing both Sony and Nintendo do well is to create a legacy with their original games that people can always identify with.

Obviously there is a legacy with Halo and Forza Motorsport which goes back to the beginning. Fable, Project Gotham Racing and Ninja Gaiden got as far as the 360. The likes of Blinx, Conker, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kung Fu Chaos, Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince could have become synonymous with the Xbox brand had they been given more of a chance.

Battletoads making a return is fantastic and great to see Microsoft supporting an old IP. Sure it will probably end up being a small game with a price tag to match but it is big in terms of the name and nostalgia. Don't understand the argument that this is not the type of game Xbox needs when it is being developed by Dlala Studios so not as though it is holding back any of the big studios. Game Pass needs a variety of different content big and small.

Rand al Thor 19 as much as I luv ya, quit moaning about Battletoads! ;)

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I would like to see obsidian be a 3 team studio with 2 teams doing 3rd/1st person rpg's. And one doing iso rpg's.

For inexile I'd like to see 1 of each as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.