• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Sony just released a remake of the 1998 game MediEvil which appears to have sold very well in the first week. PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale was released in 2012 for the PS3 and had various characters drawn from different PlayStation video game franchises. One thing both Sony and Nintendo do well is to create a legacy with their original games that people can always identify with.

Obviously there is a legacy with Halo and Forza Motorsport which goes back to the beginning. Fable, Project Gotham Racing and Ninja Gaiden got as far as the 360. The likes of Blinx, Conker, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kung Fu Chaos, Phantom Dust and Voodoo Vince could have become synonymous with the Xbox brand had they been given more of a chance.

Battletoads making a return is fantastic and great to see Microsoft supporting an old IP. Sure it will probably end up being a small game with a price tag to match but it is big in terms of the name and nostalgia. Don't understand the argument that this is not the type of game Xbox needs when it is being developed by Dlala Studios so not as though it is holding back any of the big studios. Game Pass needs a variety of different content big and small.

Rand al Thor 19 as much as I luv ya, quit moaning about Battletoads! ;)

I can't agree more. just saw a video of Colt Eastwood writing off Banjo-Kazooie's eventual return. Yes, we definitely need big, AAA, story-driven action adventure games. But we *also* need racing games, third person shooters, strategy games, jrpgs, and *yes*, character-based platformers. There's no reason we can't be excited about a potential new Fable, Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, and a potential Banjo-Threeie all together at the same time! They can, and *should*, co-exist.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
I can't agree more. just saw a video of Colt Eastwood writing off Banjo-Kazooie's eventual return. Yes, we definitely need big, AAA, story-driven action adventure games. But we *also* need racing games, third person shooters, strategy games, jrpgs, and *yes*, character-based platformers. There's no reason we can't be excited about a potential new Fable, Halo Infinite, Gears Tactics, and a potential Banjo-Threeie all together at the same time! They can, and *should*, co-exist.
I found that video to be really weird. Almost as if it was made as a clickbait video. I'd like to think that wasn't the point though.

XGS is currently funding games of all types and sizes, and yet we should draw the line Banjo-Kazooie? One of the biggest 3D platformers of the 90s doesn't deserve a new chance because it would supposedly stop cinematic AAA games from being made? A new Banjo-Kazooie game wouldn't cost nearly as much as a AAA blockbuster game anyways, so it's a really silly comparison to make.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
Exactly. If say Double Fine were to create a new Banjo game, how does this get in the way of Xbox getting a big, AAA, story-driven action adventure game!? Mediatonic Games developing Gears POP! didn't prevent The Coalition from creating Gears 5.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
I found that video to be really weird. Almost as if it was made as a clickbait video. I'd like to think that wasn't the point though.

XGS is currently funding games of all types and sizes, and yet we should draw the line Banjo-Kazooie? One of the biggest 3D platformers of the 90s doesn't deserve a new chance because it would supposedly stop cinematic AAA games from being made? A new Banjo-Kazooie game wouldn't cost nearly as much as a AAA blockbuster game anyways, so it's a really silly comparison to make.
Exactly. If say Double Fine were to create a new Banjo game, how does this get in the way of Xbox getting a big, AAA, story-driven action adventure game!? Mediatonic Games developing Gears POP! didn't prevent The Coalition from creating Gears 5.

Agreed. Believe me, I can't wait for those big ol' AAA bangers either. But you can't take away my hope and optimism for games of all types to hit Game Pass. I would absolutely go from playing Halo Infinite, to playing Fable IV, to playing Banjo-Threeie, to playing Killer Instinct 2, to playing Bleeding Edge, to playing Flight Simulator lmao. Maybe I just like a wider variety of games than some of these people, idk. But if Mario can continue having success, if Crash and Spyro can come back, if flippin' Voodoo Vince can show up again after all these years (and waaaaay less hype), SURELY there's a CHANCE we get a new Banjo game in the future. And surely, that isn't too much to ask.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
A banjo made by double fine could do justice to the legacy? Honest question
If Rare was involved? Specifically Gregg Mayles, but hopefully also people like Paul Cunningham and Leigh Loveday.

Yes, definitely.

I would only want Double Fine to develop it if they wanted it themselves though. There's a bunch of known developers I could see being capable of doing it:

Rare in-house:
With their new IP focus I don't expect this to happen. At best, they're going to serve as a publisher within the publisher like they're doing with Battletoads.

Playtonic:
I know they're not currently working on it, but no one is saying it couldn't happen a couple of years from now.

Playful:
I think they're in a somewhat similar situation as Playtonic where they want to develop their own IPs. Still putting them on the list based on the reception the Switch version of SLT has recieved.

Gears for Breakfast:
Developers of A Hat in Time. I believe they've said they'd be willing to work on the Banjo IP, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Asobo:
Not what they're currently known for, but they made several family friendly games for Xbox in the Kinect days

Last edited:

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
They would make some super quirky Banjo games. MS should just let their internal studios have a game jam with any MS IP they want.
That'd be interesting for sure. I think Double Fine would be a better fit for Conker than Banjo, in my opinion, but I'd be stoked either way. I just see their sense of humor shining thru on a Conker game.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
You guys are gonna be so mad when Double Fine announces their next game and it's Massive Chalice 2.

Oct 27, 2017
They would make some super quirky Banjo games. MS should just let their internal studios have a game jam with any MS IP they want.
I'm pretty sure they already said these new teams have access to IP in the vault. Like I doubt you cii ok old just work on another Halo or Gears game because those are owned by other studios but if NT or obsidian wanted to work on a phantom dust game I expect it would be okay'd

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so. I haven't played every fighting game this Gen but KI was imo the best fighter and definitely the one I put the most time into. It was so under rated. Hope it gets a sequel on scarlet

Cause there was almost zero marketing for it. It was just "some F2P fighting game" for many people with couple of characters at start.

Deleted member 51306

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 27, 2018
Cause there was almost zero marketing for it. It was just "some F2P fighting game" for many people with couple of characters at start.
Everything about it said it should be bad. It was a "Free to Start" game that only had 6 fighters and limited modes. A launch title for the Xbox one that already has a ton of negative buzz. And then the original dev gets bought and a new dev gets brought on to make the next addition. Even through all of that it turned out great. And what's crazy is they have it a bunch of Xbox one X
upgrades and it's still not on gamepass, why?
Edit: Saw that it was recently added to game pass.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
They might just have the deepest and most diverse bench of ip's of all the platform holders. I don't see a way that all of their IP's come back. I hope certain ones return. Banjo would be great but it's like half-life 3, I don't think the game can get past it's own hype regardless of its quality. I want some Shadowrun, Perfect Dark, Mech Warrior, Conker... I hope we get more of their old IP

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Double Fine would literally be the perfect developer for a Rick and Morty game. I would pay so much money for that. And there's a lot of material there for a legit video game. I know they had that VR title and it was ok.
Well , Squanch Games exists. So that's not happening anytime soon.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
If there's going to be an acquisition, it'll be announced on the Thursday main show. My guess is that 'redacted' is a closer look at a game that will have been announced the day before.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Double Fine could make a great Banjo game, and I think I'd prefer them to anyone else at this point.

Last edited:

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
Yeah, I got the same feeling. Hope I'm wrong, but imo what they've shown felt like an amazing tech demo rather than footage from the actual game.
Anyways they've still got a year, which is a lot of time.
Thought I saw a polished cinematic 1.5 years from launch. The "tech demo" was 2.5 years from release.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
In the HCS future update they mentioned news in spring... I really hope so as well but I wouldn't get my hopes up, there's been zero teasing and hints so far.

i'm not seeing it. mind providing a quote? also, i wouldn't necessarily expect HCS info to coincide with MP flighting. in fact, i'd think they'd hold off talking about the future of HCS in detail until MP has been unveiled. reveal mp, announce flighting, flight game, go more in depth with infinite HCS details to continue to build hype.

EDIT: this? "As we continue to work on the program and hit key milestones, we'll continue to provide more updates on our progress in early 2020 and beyond". yeah, i dont think this necessarily means no MP news until early 2020. as i posted, i'd lead with the reveal and lead into hcs news down the road. early 2020 would be perfect timing in my scenario.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018
i'm not seeing it. mind providing a quote? also, i wouldn't necessarily expect HCS info to coincide with MP flighting. in fact, i'd think they'd hold off talking about the future of HCS in detail until MP has been unveiled. reveal mp, announce flighting, flight game, go more in depth with infinite HCS details to continue to build hype.

EDIT: this? "As we continue to work on the program and hit key milestones, we'll continue to provide more updates on our progress in early 2020 and beyond". yeah, i dont think this necessarily means no MP news until early 2020.

Yeah that's it.

I would love nothing more than being wrong... flighting in 2019 would be amazing for the game as well.

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They really need to do a flighting soon (at least in the beginning of next year). They need to have input from the player base. This entry is too important for the franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.