• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
SoD2 won May NPD which itself is a feat and now has 5+ Millon players within 18 months without even being on Steam and they are addressing every single wish of the community with DLCs and Content updates ( Outfit Customization was a big one).

SoD's gameplay & core mechanics have been rock solid which can't be said for many IPs. They are hiring World Class Animators to address one of its biggest issues, jankiness will hopefully be a thing of the past now that they are first party, they have Rare/The Coalition who are masters of the Unreal Engine, so graphically they will be way better than 2 with all that internal expertise.

Only thing in question is how big SoD3 will be? Matt Booty, speaking to Windows Central said they are really going big with a persistent Online Experience which they tried to do with SoD2.

I think SoD3 with Steam & Gamepass will become a 10+ Million Player IP within 18 months.
I am bullish on SoD3 as well. the first was a cult classic, and the second has over 5 million players (even WITH the jank it absolutely has). State of Decay 3 is going to be a big game, both in terms of size and scope, and in terms of critical and commercial reception.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
I think SOD3 needs to utilize Azure somehow. Kind of like Flight Simulator. Not sure how they could utilize the tech but possible dynamic or real locations for you areas.

Maybe the zombies could always be randomizes using Azure? I don't know. Need to go crazy with it

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
I think SOD3 needs to utilize Azure somehow. Kind of like Flight Simulator. Not sure how they could utilize the tech but possible dynamic or real locations for you areas.

Maybe the zombies could always be randomizes using Azure? I don't know. Need to go crazy with it
Imagine SoD3 using Azure, but to build out one dedicated city and the surrounding suburbs for all it's players, and then doing server shards sort of like Sea of Thieves or something similar. Have X amount of players able to occupy a server, and those players are surviving and fighting together, working cooperatively or against one another, in an approximation of some real world city, say Atlanta for example (like the beginning of The Walking Dead). If Asobo can use that tech to render the planet at that fidelity and detail, I wonder if Undead Labs could use that tech but in a more hyper-focused way.

tbassett

Jan 8, 2019
Imagine SoD3 using Azure, but to build out one dedicated city and the surrounding suburbs for all it's players, and then doing server shards sort of like Sea of Thieves or something similar. Have X amount of players able to occupy a server, and those players are surviving and fighting together, working cooperatively or against one another, in an approximation of some real world city, say Atlanta for example (like the beginning of The Walking Dead). If Asobo can use that tech to render the planet at that fidelity and detail, I wonder if Undead Labs could use that tech but in a more hyper-focused way.

Now we are talking. That is a freaking sweet idea. Maybe some type of public events or public modes where a set number of players raid real life cities. My god that would be insane

NippleViking

May 2, 2018

They should take it in the logical direction and do a shared world.
This would be amazing, though I don't think the technology is quite there yet for using satelite imagery for micro-detailed landscapes. The implementation in Flight Sim is a match made in heaven as you're typically be too far away from most of the textures and geometry to notice any flaws, though up close the landscape tech does seem to fall apart a bit.

There's a reason why the Division's hyper-realistic New York (and now Washington) was so small.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Now we are talking. That is a freaking sweet idea. Maybe some type of public events or public modes where a set number of players raid real life cities. My god that would be insane
Yeah, so like Final Fantasy XIV's fate system, or Destiny's public events. There could be a tall office building overrun with Plague Hearts, and you and all the groups nearby team up to destroy them before it spreads, or the longer it's up, the more zombies that spawn, incentivizing players to work together quickly to clear the building. Rewards based on amount/time of participation, kills/damage dealt, etc. In SoD2, Plague Hearts take over a single floor garage or house or something. Imagine a parking deck or skyscraper, going up floor after floor with other groups to take them out as quickly as possible, before surviving gets even tougher. I'm over here sweating from my own idea lmao. Can't wait to see what UL is cooking up.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
They should take it in the logical direction and do a shared world.

This would be amazing. Though I don't think the technology is quite there for using satelite imagery for micro-detailed landscapes. There's a reason why the Division's hyper-realistic New York (and now Washington) was so small.
True, see my above post, as that idea could work even without them using Azure to do it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Yeah, so like Final Fantasy XIV's fate system, or Destiny's public events. There could be a tall office building overrun with Plague Hearts, and you and all the groups nearby team up to destroy them before it spreads, or the longer it's up, the more zombies that spawn, incentivizing players to work together quickly to clear the building. Rewards based on amount/time of participation, kills/damage dealt, etc. In SoD2, Plague Hearts take over a single floor garage or house or something. Imagine a parking deck or skyscraper, going up floor after floor with other groups to take them out as quickly as possible, before surviving gets even tougher. I'm over here sweating from my own idea lmao. Can't wait to see what UL is cooking up.
True, see my above post, as that idea could work even without them using Azure to do it.
Yep. Exactly what I envisioned, and pretty much what most had in mind when Undead Labs were pursuing an MMO.

I've long believed there is still enormous demand for a competently executed Day Z, and that of all currently operating studios Undead Labs would be best positioned to realise it.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
Yep. Exactly what I envisioned, and pretty much what most had in mind when Undead Labs were pursuing an MMO.

I've long believed there is still enormous demand for a competently executed Day Z, and that of all currently operating studios Undead Labs would be best positioned to realise it.
Ah, ok gotcha. I thought I was brainstorming something awesome only to find out everyone else already brainstormed it before me! haha well, I hope we're all correct in our hopes then. What an amazing game that would be. Side note, but I love that team's passion and enthusiasm as well. Every time I've seen them, either on Inside Xbox or on their own streams, they've been in good spirits and seem genuinely interested in the game they're making and making that game the absolute best they can. Good vibes.

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Another extensive interview of a Japanese medium to Phil. Xbox Scarlett will launch day 1 in Japan.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Ah, ok gotcha. I thought I was brainstorming something awesome only to find out everyone else already brainstormed it before me! haha well, I hope we're all correct in our hopes then. What an amazing game that would be. Side note, but I love that team's passion and enthusiasm as well. Every time I've seen them, either on Inside Xbox or on their own streams, they've been in good spirits and seem genuinely interested in the game they're making and making that game the absolute best they can. Good vibes.
Haha. I think what most have envisioned as their 'dream zombie game' is a multiplayer sandbox that facilitates these wild player driven moments and organic interactions. So any ideas that you have could feasibly be possible within that sandbox.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Another extensive interview of a Japanese medium to Phil. Xbox Scarlett will launch day 1 in Japan.

That's good to hear, do hope they're launching it with a couple of good exclusives for that market, and not missing any major 3rd parties.

Blue Dragon alone reportedly sold like 50k 360s when it came out. Start big and then keep the river flowing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

Despite what a meme Xbox's fortunes in Japan has become, a new generation is always a new chance to break through. If Scarlett is as small and sleek as 1X with no power brick, it will already have a large leg up VS older iterations.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
That's good to hear, do hope they're launching it with a couple of good exclusives for that market, and not missing any major 3rd parties.

Blue Dragon alone reportedly sold like 50k 360s when it came out. Start big and then keep the river flowing.
It's a bummer that Blue Dragon didn't, like, continue. I know it had a DS game, but that IP could have been Xbox's Dragon Quest approximation (before you @ me, I KNOW BD was nowhere near as good as DQ, but given time, sequels, budget, it could have at least been an Xbox player's alternative to it (JUST LIKE LOST ODYSSEY COULD HAVE BEEN OUR FINAL FANTASY!)). Hopefully, with Phil's push to get Japanese games again, plus saying he specifically thinks Asia is an area they should have a studio, maybe those dreams will finally start coming true.

Stalwart

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
Despite what a meme Xbox's fortunes in Japan has become, a new generation is always a new chance to break through. If Scarlett is as small and sleek as 1X with no power brick, it will already have a large leg up VS older iterations.
Hardware size is not the issue selling the console over there.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Hardware size is not the issue selling the console over there.
I thought is was a stumbling block for them, especially the OG with it's bulky frame and massive controller.

No doubt software library and marketing approach make the bigger difference, but it certainly couldn't hurt for Scarlett to be as small as the PS2.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Couple fun bits of info I gathered by talking to devs and such at X019. Some of this is probably known but here you go:
  1. Age Of Empires IV is currently aiming a 2021 release. It's been in active development for about 3 years. The Age Of Empires 3 remake is currently planned for mid-2020.
  2. Minecraft Dungeons started as a 3DS game, and as the game grew in scale they figured they'd bring it to all systems instead. Crossplay and KB+M support are planned but they are not set in stone yet. Game is worked on by a relatively small team. It'll launch for 20 bucks and will have a special edition for 30 which contains the two big DLC packs they will release after launch. If the playerbase is there they are planning to support the game long-term. They are always looking at new ways to bring people the Minecraft experience by pushing it towards other genres, so there's good chances of seeing other such projects in the future. The design philosophy behind the game is offering a game for any kind of playstyle: hide a lot of secrets and extra content for those who want to play it slow and explore everything, but also allow Diablo-esque hardcore rift runs. Game is a lot of fun, I have very high hopes for it.
  3. An indie dev I managed to talk to confirmed to me how Game Pass contracts work, albeit clarifying that it's different for every game. Devs get money upfront (which we knew) for their game to appear on Game Pass, and if the game meets certain results (again, it depends on the kind of game what numbers it needs to hit) the devs get further money for that too. So a sleeper hit like Human Fall Flat probably saw the devs get money upfront, then get a steady influx from Game Pass as well alongside the advantages of the increased sales the more visibility brought them. Definitely a win-win.
  4. KartRider: Drift is gonna have a closed beta in December. Full game will be a F2P release, first on Xbox One, early 2020. The game launches with a lot of customization options but that will be how the game's gonna be monetized post-launch, with seasonal content, limited skins and whatnot.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Couple fun bits of info I gathered by talking to devs and such at X019. Some of this is probably known but here you go:
  1. Age Of Empires IV is currently aiming a 2021 release. It's been in active development for about 3 years. The Age Of Empires 3 remake is currently planned for mid-2020.
  2. Minecraft Dungeons started as a 3DS game, and as the game grew in scale they figured they'd bring it to all systems instead. Crossplay and KB+M support are planned but they are not set in stone yet. Game is worked on by a relatively small team. It'll launch for 20 bucks and will have a special edition for 30 which contains the two big DLC packs they will release after launch. If the playerbase is there they are planning to support the game long-term. They are always looking at new ways to bring people the Minecraft experience by pushing it towards other genres, so there's good chances of seeing other such projects in the future. The design philosophy behind the game is offering a game for any kind of playstyle: hide a lot of secrets and extra content for those who want to play it slow and explore everything, but also allow Diablo-esque hardcore rift runs. Game is a lot of fun, I have very high hopes for it.
  3. An indie dev I managed to talk to confirmed to me how Game Pass contracts work, albeit clarifying that it's different for every game. Devs get money upfront (which we knew) for their game to appear on Game Pass, and if the game meets certain results (again, it depends on the kind of game what numbers it needs to hit) the devs get further money for that too. So a sleeper hit like Human Fall Flat probably saw the devs get money upfront, then get a steady influx from Game Pass as well alongside the advantages of the increased sales the more visibility brought them. Definitely a win-win.
  4. KartRider: Drift is gonna have a closed beta in December. Full game will be a F2P release, first on Xbox One, early 2020. The game launches with a lot of customization options but that will be how the game's gonna be monetized post-launch, with seasonal content, limited skins and whatnot.
Good post. Thanks!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
That Dungeons stuff about mouse and keyboard is abit weird tho. It's on pc off course it needs to have mouse and keyboard at release

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
SoD3 needs to move away from Trunball Valley. I've had my fill of that location, let's see some other locations in the US.

Maybe a coastal location?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I wish State of Decay 3 would go with one bigger, high-quality world instead of multiple ones like in SoD2. I think the resources are a bit wasted with multiple worlds/maps as I don't think too many people are doing multiple playthroughs.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I wish State of Decay 3 would go with one bigger, high-quality world instead of multiple ones like in SoD2. I think the resources are a bit wasted with multiple worlds/maps as I don't think too many people are doing multiple playthroughs.
I would much prefer a system of salvage for materials, instead of backpacks. Cut down trees, break down old buildings etc. Build real bases etc, instead of pre-designed ones.

Having a massive open and varied zone would be better overall. Just up the survival aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.