• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Geographic ties to the film industry....hmmmm. Wonder what that could mean.

Just what it says, their studio is in LA, where a large part of the film industry is centered. Probably just means they'll take advantage of things like writers, high profile actors for voice and performance capture, maybe some high profile composers.

Jul 17, 2018
What about Control though? I'd say that's a good step up from QB, plus their issues of taking a bit too long in terms of game development could be over. Control was announced last year and released this year. A big improvement for this studio. I honestly don't really get the negativity about Remedy.

Control is not enough imo. Their games were like development hell. Either way whether they improved or not Microsoft has acquired Studios that can do the same thing they can do i.e "third person narrative stories" but better and with less repetitive gameplay.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'm probably wrong about a lot of things but:

• It was a thriller / horror (100% certain)
  • The story was about some type of apocalypse, I think it was a portal that opened up to another dimension, and some type of black water invaded our world, corrupting everything it touched, and It kept rising
  • The main protagonist was a Father trying to take his family to a safe place
  • I think that the Black Water / Monsters feared or was hurt by lighting. I do remember that in the end, the survivors made their home on a ship/boat full of Christmas lights.
  • Also, I do remember one particular part, it was on a high corporation building. It was very intense.
I think it was shared in one OT, right before Halo Wars 2 Flood DLC was announced.
That sounds like a really cool game concept.

Even a little Alan Wake-ish hmmm...

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Don't know if anyone mentioned this. It's not news, but on the latest Major Nelson podcast w/ Phil Spencer, Phil kind of mentions "Have you seen what Obsidian is working on?!". And Major goes "Oh well... we did reveal Grounded". And Phil's like "Well yea, but I mean what the full team is working on??". And they said no more. But. It is quietly VERY EXCITING.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't know if anyone mentioned this. It's not news, but on the latest Major Nelson podcast w/ Phil Spencer, Phil kind of mentions "Have you seen what Obsidian is working on?!". And Major goes "Oh well... we did reveal Grounded". And Phil's like "Well yea, but I mean what the full team is working on??". And they said no more. But. It is quietly VERY EXCITING.
Yeah, it's been rumored to be an epic high fantasy RPG on the scale of Skyrim, if I remember correctly.

Jul 17, 2018
This is NEWS to me.... I love me some Obsidian Games.

Jul 17, 2018
Yeah, it's been rumored to be an epic high fantasy RPG on the scale of Skyrim, if I remember correctly.
tenor.gif

I guess its true that Obsidian really is tryna go after Besthesda. O_O

Link to that rumor? I'm getting even more hyped now. lol.

Aug 26, 2019
Really hoping that Obsidian's game is 3rd person, a lot is riding on them to make the right decision here. This may decide whether I buy a next-gen Xbox

Jul 17, 2018
Really hoping that Obsidian's game is 3rd person, a lot is riding on them to make the right decision here. This may decide whether I buy a next-gen Xbox
Yea its them and Playground Game's that will be a make or break for me. Like I said before Obsidian Games is probably one of MS's best studio purchase and a type of studio they'll want to keep around for a long time. Me? I don't care if their next game is 3rd person, first person or both ala Besthesda games as long as it is an AMAZING western RPG on the level of Fallout New Vegas minimum.

Jul 17, 2018
I have a theory. Certain people think that because Microsoft will be focusing on gamepass that a lot of their first party games will be "AA fodder." I disagree. I think it will be the opposite because I really think that this next coming Xbox really is gonna be the RPG console. Why? Because not only does Microsoft/Phil realize single player is important but you don't need online type games to add lots of content for gamepass... Open world RPG games easily provide a ton of that from tons and tons of DLC. Hell just look at likes like Skyrim, Souls Games, Fallout, Witcher 3, etc, etc. I see Microsoft first party studios creating a lot of open world based games where they can add content for a long time. Whether it be story DLCs or character add-on's or whatever. I really think this is going to happen. Thoughts?

Eh, that isn't so important to me. What's important is that they nail the perspective.
Agreed.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
That sounds like a really cool game concept.

Even a little Alan Wake-ish hmmm...

Damn, it took me almost 4 hours of searching, but finally found it! The story is called Dark Tides, you can read it here : http://www.marklawrence.buzz/story/dark-tide/

It's written by Mark Lawrence, who wrote "The Broken Empire" and "The Red Queen's War".

In June 2017 he tweeted:

The last time he mentioned it, it was in April 2018:

I love the concept of it, and who knows, maybe The Initiative is doing a game about it.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Right... so you're talking out of your ass then, cool. Unless you have legitimate sources to back up your case I'm just going to chalk you up to more concern-trolling and add you to the ignore pile.

Okay? I mean... if you followed that thread what I said would not have been a surprise. Me not wanting to search through thousands of posts doesn't mean I'm pulling it out of my ass. I just repeated what the "insiders" have said.

Feel free to ignore though, you're too easily triggered for my tastes.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
What are your predictions for the prices of the consoles?

$299/$499 for Lockhart and Xbox Series X IMO. I'd say PS5 at $499 also but the latest rumors kinda throw that into question for me.

FWIW I'm just a normal dude that keeps up to date on this thread, I'm not claiming to have any insider info.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Booooo. Not good enough. Give everyone Infinite Halo Infinite.
I don't see any business logic in that, sorry. You want people in Game Pass to play the game. Giving away your biggest production that will likely be supported for many, many years just for free without binding that customer to Game Pass or at least a purchase ... I really don't know about that.

New consoles historically will be sold out early on no matter what.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I don't see any business logic in that, sorry. You want people in Game Pass to play the game. Giving away your biggest production that will likely be supported for many, many years just for free without binding that customer to Game Pass or at least a purchase ... I really don't know about that.

New consoles historically will be sold out early on no matter what.
Don't worry there will be plenty of Microtransactions to support development for years to come.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Don't worry there will be plenty of Microtransactions to support development for years to come.
Sure, I'd still rather connect it to Game Pass instead of just giving it away for free. I mean, again, technically it already is included for free - and if you want to keep it, subscribe to Game Pass or purchase it.

Not saying it's impossible or anything. I just don't see how it makes sense when your primary goal is to have people in Game Pass.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Sure, I'd still rather connect it to Game Pass instead of just giving it away for free. I mean, again, technically it already is included for free - and if you want to keep it, subscribe to Game Pass or purchase it.

Not saying it's impossible or anything. I just don't see how it makes sense when your primary goal is to have people in Game Pass.
You're a consumer. Stop being reasonable.

Jan 4, 2018
IIRC, back in 2017 Microsoft acquired the rights of a short story, and the writer said on Twitter that they were developing a game about it. Maybe it's the game that The Initiative is working on? I remember reading it and it was very good, could become something truly special if done right.
Yup, Dark Tide
I remember when Klob leaked a lot of things he found (going back to Albion, etc...)
He mentioned there being something with Dark in its name and that there was clues pointing to you aiming at things and that made me think that maybe you had a torchlight you used to scare away the people corrupted by the tide
But everyone assumed it was about Perfect Dark wich would also make sense, so idk

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Announced Xbox Game Studios games for 2020. All launching on Game Pass on Day One.

bd32743e-83b4-42b9-9ghkxh.jpeg

Has there been an official word on AoE3 DE? I realise that it probably is coming out next year based on their work on 1 and 2, but still, haven't seen any official confirmation that it is scheduled for 2020.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Just turned on my Xbox, did all the settings

The Outer Worlds and Gears 5 downloading right now, already love Game Pass lol

Thank you very much Ebtesam for your advices about subscription ! Now locked into Ultimate during 35 months for literally 2.80€/month

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Has there been an official word on AoE3 DE? I realise that it probably is coming out next year based on their work on 1 and 2, but still, haven't seen any official confirmation that it is scheduled for 2020.
No official confirmation yet. We have comments from people attending at X019 that they are targeting 2020 for AoE III DE and 2021 for AoE IV.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Can't seem to buy Castlevania: Mirrors of Fate HD on the webbrowser store. I am away from my consoles ATM. I remember having similar issues in the past with BC Games with Gold titles and I usually ended up using the console's store. Any troubleshooting tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.