• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I could never go full digital. The physical copy gives me a sense of ownership and bourgeois.

I have a stack of Xbox one games that I'll never replay unfortunately. Worth nothing for trade in either. Most of my older nostalgia titles are on BC via digital store and I really am only looking forward to newer titles in my current state of life . Majority of my gaming is online these days Anyway.

So for me, buying the disc box is actually more expensive vs waiting for a digital flash sale or when it pops up on gamepass.
Like literally right now I have seirko sitting on my counter that I'll never play anymore. :(

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
It's funny how i bought the physical version (steelbook edition actually) for Gears and FH but i never really used the disc besides installing the base game...

Thanks Game Pass!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Oh for sure. Haven't bought any physical games this generation. Yep it's worked out more expensive but I've found with game pass I dont actually buy that many games anymore.
The biggest whoa factor was when I didn't have to buy any limited edition or collectors edition of gears 5 when I usually would have. It all came nicely packaged and with extra bonuses too! Got to play early.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I buy most of my games digital... i like seeing that 'ready to install' number climbing.
But, I've used my disk drive a lot as a dvd and blu-ray player.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Halo, Gears, Forza :P

annotation2019-11-292jokym.png
ot306wvqyp141.jpg

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
right now NO, but it's preproduction so things are fluid, it could be cancelled, redirected and everything

I won't do that, since I messed up a lot of vague hints
It's natural that you draw wrong conclusions from the vague sources you have. It's not like your Rod's secret Era account. I'm always keen to hear what info you have, however much you feel comfortable sharing.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Hard to say for me as I really enjoy watching my 4K blu-rays, although I could always keep my X for that, but I'd probably pay the extra 100 just for the convenience of not having 2 keep 2 consoles under my TV.
Good points too! I'll definitely keep my X for my two kids who love to hog it for Minecraft lmao.
I watch almost all of my movies digital now, renting from Vudu/movies anywhere/etc.
sometimes I get the Blu-ray from Redbox but convienience is a winner for my household. I have a Disney club movie membership but idk if I want it anymore since Disney plus came out. I gotta figure out if their new movies will release on there Before other digital stores.
I just know that if i can use that 100 toward a higher add TB usb C storage device vs having a Blu-ray disk drive, I'll do it.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
random, i know, but can someone explain where the "expected" phrase/joke came from? it seems snarky but maybe i just don't get it lol

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
I hope there is a discless Scarlett at launch so the price can go as low as possible even if it's $50 lower that'd be okay. You immediately score: "starting at" *lower price* marketing that way...

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Ever since digital became an thing during the 360 days it has been my go to option. Here in Argentina game prices (used or new) are very high. Thanks to regional pricing gaming has became a lot more affordable to many (myself included). This country has been PlayStation territory for ages (mostly due to the ease of piracy on PS1 and PS2), but ramping up for next-gen I think Microsoft can hit it out of the park with gamepass and a suscription model for the console (the cheapest console here goes for around 350/400 and both the X and Pro are around 750 dolars)

So, in my case, yeah long live digital

BOT Zé

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Microsoft Store lowered the price for 99€ on SAD yesterday in the German website and they are sold out already. Damn nice.
And that's the stock for the entire Online store in europe, even though I think their stock is pretty low.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Guys, where can I simply find the Games with Gold section on Xbox One? I'm looking everywhere and I just can't find it at all.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
finally finished up control, apparently missing half the ability upgrades (never got dodge, armor, or mind control). exploration was a mess (that failing to load confusing as hell map), the story was completely incoherent (perhaps if you read the hundreds of collectibles it wouldnt be?), the setting grew tiresome, and, most surprising of all, combat was DULL. definitely my least favorite remedy game.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I used my disc drive once this gen because a friend let me borrow a game. The disc got stuck in the drive...

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Nothing announcement-related but the French Xbox twitter page funnily shrugging their shoulders when someone's asking to release Fable 4:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
TL;DR I think it's a very good thing that MS is starting to get more and more support from South Korean game devs on consoles. Also good looking gifs.​

Most talk about South Korean games often gets lost in the whole JP-focused games discussion that this site is known for. I'm pretty stoked though for both Crossfire and Kartriders but I'm even more impressed that we are actually seeing ports of these two games. Both games feel like the "if you don't have a Switch to play Mario Kart" or "if you don't wanna play CS on PC" type of experiences but they're actually very neat games that have a huge legacy behind them. F2P is also gonna help it when both titles launch.​

They aren't XGS games although MS is indeed working closely to provide the ultimate experience when they release. I did want to bring these two games up since these two were pretty much what most of us were asking for but now doesn't really get the attention that they should've. 3rd party support for major Asian/JP titles on Xbox is still an ongoing issue that's visibly being fixed with recent announcements like Yakuza, KH legacy games and of course the two games I've mentioned before.​

And with xCloud going forward, I could see the South Korean market (which is a region that has access to the xCloud program) jump on board and join the Xbox ecosystem while Western consumers see the appeal in these types of games and are getting more interested in other experiences.​

Also on a side-note, the devs of Black Desert announced both a TPS MMO and a follow-up to Black Desert. Hopefully, we can expect these two titles in the upcoming years on Xbox :)

c2TTuio.gif

5fo6IpA.gif

I also was trying to find a reason to post these two gifs so who knows, maybe my post actually made sense ;)

Nov 23, 2018
TL;DR I think it's a very good thing that MS is starting to get more and more support from South Korean game devs on consoles. Also good looking gifs.​

Most talk about South Korean games often gets lost in the whole JP-focused games discussion that this site is known for. I'm pretty stoked though for both Crossfire and Kartriders but I'm even more impressed that we are actually seeing ports of these two games. Both games feel like the "if you don't have a Switch to play Mario Kart" or "if you don't wanna play CS on PC" type of experiences but they're actually very neat games that have a huge legacy behind them. F2P is also gonna help it when both titles launch.​

They aren't XGS games although MS is indeed working closely to provide the ultimate experience when they release. I did want to bring these two games up since these two were pretty much what most of us were asking for but now doesn't really get the attention that they should've. 3rd party support for major Asian/JP titles on Xbox is still an ongoing issue that's visibly being fixed with recent announcements like Yakuza, KH legacy games and of course the two games I've mentioned before.​

And with xCloud going forward, I could see the South Korean market (which is a region that has access to the xCloud program) jump on board and join the Xbox ecosystem while Western consumers see the appeal in these types of games and are getting more interested in other experiences.​

Also on a side-note, the devs of Black Desert announced both a TPS MMO and a follow-up to Black Desert. Hopefully, we can expect these two titles in the upcoming years on Xbox :)

c2TTuio.gif

5fo6IpA.gif

I also was trying to find a reason to post these two gifs so who knows, maybe my post actually made sense ;)
Very solid post, the gifs are indeed awesome! XGS + South Korea devs having a great relationship is great.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure what I feel or how I should feel...

You should see the thread. I'll say no more.

Speaking personally I haven't seen a lot of leaks for Scarlett. All I know is looking at their recent output, the engineering team at MS are wizards at their craft. I'm positive they're going to deliver on the hardware end.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I was watching an Arlo video on Metroid Prime 4 and he brought up Retro Studio's less than stellar Glassdoor ratings. That left me curious, so I decided to look into XGS's. Do note these reviews can be skewed and reflect past years with out of date info. Angry people are also more likely to review.

Microsoft: Many reviews for Rare, Turn 10, Mojang, etc. have popped up in here. Also for XGS/Xbox Hardware/Global Publishing. 2019's #1 best place to work according to GlassDoor. 4.2/5 across 24k reviews. 97% approve of CEO Satya. 87% reccomend to a friend.

343 Industries: 3.5/5 across 29 reviews. 63% of employees likely to recommend to friends. 32% approve of CEO Steve Balmer who has obviously left, so you can disregard.

The Coalition: 3.7/5 across 17 reviews. 90% likely to recommend to friends

Compulsion Games: 5/5 rating across 4 reviews. 100% approval of CEO. 100% likely to recommend to friends.

Double Fine: 5/5 across 3 ratings. 100% recommendation

The Initiative: N/A

InXile: 3.4/5 across 19 ratings. 63% recommend to friend, 61% approve of CEO. Do note these reviews namely come from the Kickstarter era.

Mojang: 1/5 from 1 review posted 3 days ago. Needless to say, sample is damn small.

Ninja Theory: 3.8/5 across 4 reviews. 76% recommend to friends. 65% approve of CEO.

Obsidian: 3.4/5 across 30 reviews, 63% recommend to a friend, 73% approve of CEO.

Playground: 2.9/5 across 9 reviews, 35% recommend.

Rare: N/A. There's another company called Rare also with offices in Twycross leading to a clusterfuck of reviews. Rare the dev seems good and is the management/mental health balance shining star that all XGS studios work to emulate according to Rod Fergusson

Turn 10: N/A

Undead Labs: 2.7/5 across 2 reviews. 47% recommend.

World's Edge N/A

Edit: This was recently called to my attention. PlayGround Games was named the best large developer to work for in the UK, DLaLa thebest small dev and Rare one of the best devs. So especially take PlayGround's rating with a grain of salt. Just thought this was interesting to share for prospective devs on here and as well to see the changes over time now that MS manages these firms and has a great working environment.

Last edited:

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Nice!

Speaking personally I haven't seen a lot of leaks for Scarlett. All I know is looking at their recent output, the engineering team at MS are wizards at their craft. I'm positive they're going to deliver on the hardware end.

Yeah i got full faith in the hardware team as well. We're still 10-12 months away from the system's launch so we'll most likely hear dev stuff at GDC.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
Are people really 'concerned' about availability of the Scarlett dev-kits? Let them cook best possible hardware...

Last edited:

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I mean they gotta have something coming for Xbox that looks as good as the Surface Neo/Duo. Panos wouldn't let the Neo/Duo launch be overshadowed by a lackluster Scarlett.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
It's time for Ninja Theory to make a franchise.

Each time they had the bad luck of not doing a sequel to their games.

According to the words of matt Booty their next game would be Open World I hope they can finally make a franchise.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Matt Booty was more talking about Rare and NT working on tech that would help bigger worlds via a procedural tech (correct me if I'm wrong). I don't think NT's next project would be an open world-like game.

I do think we'll see a Hellblade styled game but with more open levels, sort of like Control, and with more RPG-lite progression stuff. I remember Tameem saying something about doing more stuff in the Nordic setting.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
For me Scarlett's development is very similar to 360's, as in ATI has no GPU coming close to what's in the final console until second of half of 2005.

Vega 7 / OCed Navi 10 is a tier under in terms of perf let alone feature set, RT + VRS.

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
343 Industries: 3.5/5 across 29 reviews. 63% of employees likely to recommend to friends. 32% approve of CEO Steve Balmer who has obviously left, so you can disregard.

Not sure how recent the reviews are, but from my limited knowledge I remember complaints within the studio about the content creation tools & crunch after Halo 5.

It's one of the reasons 343i is taking so long with Halo Infinite. They wanted to create a new engine (Slipspace Engine) and pipeline to make development of Halo & new content easier for the studio, and ultimately to make sure the studio has the tools that will allow them to work efficiently and avoid crunch.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Not sure how recent the reviews are, but from my limited knowledge I remember complaints within the studio about the content creation tools & crunch after Halo 5.

It's one of the reasons 343i is taking so long with Halo Infinite. They wanted to create a new engine (Slipspace Engine) and pipeline to make development of Halo & new content easier for the studio, and ultimately to make sure the studio has the tools that will allow them to work efficiently and avoid crunch.
The CEO of 343 is still listed as Steve Ballmer so it wouldn't surprise me if they are namely from that era. I really hope Infinite is a smoother and more pleasant experience for the devs, as happy devs almost always equal better games.

Status
Not open for further replies.