• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
EOTpN-uW4AAuMUL

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Quick question where do i start with the halo novels?

As others have said, start with The Fall of the Reach. It was the first one written, and leads pretty directly into Halo CE. First Strike comes after that, and picks up threads from both TFoR and CE, and then leads into Ghosts of Onyx. Think of these as the Nylund Trilogy, all three having been written by Eric Nylund.

The Kilo-Five Trilogy (Glasslands, The Thursday War and Mortal Dictata) picks up a lot of the threads from that first trilogy of books. A lot of fans really hate this trilogy. I think they're among the best of the Halo EU.

There's also Greg Bear's Forerunner Saga, which is pretty much pure fan service, going into the history of the Forerunners, the ancient humans, and the origins of the Flood. They're great too, but contain probably the most verbose writing in the entire Halo universe. These are Cryptum, Primordium and Silentium.

There are a couple that follow up from ODST - New Blood and Bad Blood. I think both of these are good, but I know some fans don't like what they do with certain ODST characters. Bad Blood picks up directly from the end of Halo 5.

Then there's Last Light and Retribution, which pick up some of those threads that have been running through since the Nylund Trilogy. These are good too, and I really like the new character introduced in LL, Veta Lopis. I hope to see more from her in the future.

Another new character introduced in the books that I really like is Rion Forge, the daughter of Sergeant Forge from Halo Wars. She's in Smoke and Shadow and Renegades. These are well worth a read.

Then there's a bunch of one-shots set back before the games, and a couple of short story collections. I'd say none of these are essential, look at synopses and see which ones take your fancy. Most of them exist to flesh out other bits of the universe.

Ones to avoid? Don't bother with The Flood, as it's a dry, boring retelling of Halo CE that doesn't really add anything of note, and avoid at all costs Hunters in the Dark. I was incredibly excited for this one, because it returns to the Ark, but it is the worst book I have ever read in my entire life.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I get why not all the Forza games are on game pass, but where the hell are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon? Not that I don't already own them both, but christ, give some respect.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I've heard there will be something hardware Halo related at launch of Series X.
yeah i expect HALO and Xbox Series X have this synergy of being part of the launch. Like you wont be able to think of Series X without thinking about Infinite or seeing Infinite mentioned.

The past interviews are clearer to me as indication of what we should expect. Bonnie Ross dropping hints that i never took serious before. its happening >=D

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I get why not all the Forza games are on game pass, but where the hell are Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon? Not that I don't already own them both, but christ, give some respect.
Clearly they are saving an announcement of HD remasters for E3.

This certainly isn't just my wishful thinking to get them on PC. Whatever gave you that idea? :o

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Once again MS didn't commit to past games being on the service. I've been wanting Conker: Live and Reloaded for a while and it still hasn't been put on Game Pass. LOL

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Once again MS didn't commit to past games being on the service. I've been wanting Conker: Live and Reloaded for a while and it still hasn't been put on Game Pass. LOL

Isn't Bad Fur Day on Rare Replay which is on game pass? I know they're not the same, but I don't know the differences exactly.

I know they didn't commit to older games on the service, but there's some omissions that surprise me. I do notice that there's a lot of missing Japanese games, which maybe is because the developers don't want them there, or maybe because Microsoft just doesn't think its worth it and they don't want to crowd the platform.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
From the Halo BotW thread:

Hopefully they can pull through. 343i really needs this to be good
the grand scope and stress on that team is probably a contributing factor of it being rough. SO many boxes need to be checked for Halo. So much is riding on them being successful. I hope they all receive a grand vacation and acknowledgment of their achievements.
And i bet its pretty harsh right now with deadlines needing to be met because of the holiday 2020 release date.

Oct 25, 2017
I know Halo is really important for the console launch, but if the game still hasn't come together until the end of the year, they should delay it. They can't have another botched launch like MCC.

I also understand that MS probably won't let that happen though lmao

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I know Halo is really important for the console launch, but if the game still hasn't come together until the end of the year, they should delay it. They can't have another botched launch like MCC.

It would be kinda insane if there's need to delay it, how long has it been in development? And 343 is huge in terms of manpower. Sadly there have also been some negative rumors about problems, just hope it's nothing.

That being said, I do wish they wouldn't be so quiet. I'm sure they could have already shown some gameplay last year, but didn't. 343 is one of the, if not most important devs of Xbox and I just wish it was a given that Halo Infinite would be a return to form, back to greatness. But we just don't know yet. If only they spoke a little about the game, or I don't know, just a screenshot here and there? Or leave the footage for E3, but give us some updates on how development is going, maybe some tidbits about new features?

Compare the marketing of Halo Infinite with how other games are marketed. We had seen screens and footage of Cyberpunk waaaaaay before release, Witcher 3 too, but then again, this has kinda always been the case with Xbox games hasn't it? We didn't see Forza Horizon (2,3,4)screens or footage until E3 in the release year. Same with Halo 5 as well, if I'm not mistaken.

But for Halo Infinite I'm keeping my expectations normal, and I hope to be blown away. Same with E3 in general to be honest. I wasn't too fond of last year. But please 343, surprise us all!

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
It would be kinda insane if there's need to delay it, how long has it been in development? And 343 is huge in terms of manpower.

That being said, I do wish they wouldn't be so quiet. I'm sure they could have already shown some gameplay last year, but didn't. 343 is one of the, if not most important devs of Xbox and I just wish it was a given that Halo Infinite would be a return to form, back to greatness. But we just don't know yet. If only they spoke a little about the game, or I don't know, just a screenshot here and there?

Compare the marketing of Halo Infinite with how other games are marketed. We had seen screens and footage of Cyberpunk waaaaaay before release, Witcher 3 too, but then again, this has kinda always been the case with Xbox games hasn't it? We didn't see Forza Horizon (2,3,4)screens or footage until E3 in the release year. Same with Halo 5 as well, if I'm not mistaken.

But for Halo Infinite I'm keeping my expectations normal, and I hope to be blown away. Same with E3 in general to be honest. I wasn't too fond of last year.
Don;t you worry. When Halo marketing starts .. its blitzkrieg and the hype train will begin. If we get more live action commercials, stuff like hunt the truth and etc, it'll be crazy!

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"still hasn't come together"?
Has there been any indication that the game isn't going together well?

There were a lot of 343i devs that posted really exciting thoughts about Halo Infinite's release at the new year.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

There were a lot of 343i devs that posted really exciting thoughts about Halo Infinite's release at the new year.
Just Matt saying he'd heard there were issues. And a couple of senior team members leaving last year.

It's all just noise really. Even if it doesn't match the height of the Bungie games, I've no doubt it'll be way better than Halo 4/5, especially the campaign.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Over analysing everything and worrying obsessively over nothing: the thread.

By all accounts, if you lot had insight into Bungie's development processes during Halos 1-3 (esp. Halo 2) you'd be shitting kittens.

It's possible 343 are having severe problems. It's also possible that, like almost any project ever, there are bumps and rougher bits, but the gap between 'this is fine' and 'this is a catastrophe' is fairly large.

Also, Pidgey, Halo 5 had a beta almost a year before. Infinite is much quieter.

Last edited:

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Just Matt saying he'd heard there were issues. And a couple of senior team members leaving last year.

It's all just noise really. Even if it doesn't match the height of the Bungie games, I've no doubt it'll be way better than Halo 4/5, especially the campaign.

It's all I ask really. Personally I loved Halo 4 campaign, 5 not nearly as much. I don't want to worry too much about issues, every game during development has some issues here and there I'm sure.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
So two days ago, Showtime showed off Chief's suit for the upcoming Halo TV series, but it wasn't released to the public. However, on the IMDB page, I found this image. It's the only one existing from backwards image search, so it may be legit. Might also be a cosplay. Likely not fully painted as the suit is supposedly classic Halo green. Either way, Looks good.

MV5BMzgwY2UwYzktN2E5MC00NDY3LWI2YzYtNzk4ODM4NTQ1NjlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,665,1000_AL_.jpg

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
the grand scope and stress on that team is probably a contributing factor of it being rough. SO many boxes need to be checked for Halo. So much is riding on them being successful. I hope they all receive a grand vacation and acknowledgment of their achievements.
And i bet its pretty harsh right now with deadlines needing to be met because of the holiday 2020 release date.
The crunch is probably gonna be insane. They'll need vacation time and more.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
So two days ago, Showtime showed off Chief's suit for the upcoming Halo TV series, but it wasn't released to the public. However, on the IMDB page, I found this image. It's the only one existing from backwards image search, so it may be legit. Might also be a cosplay. Likely not fully painted as the suit is supposedly classic Halo green. Either way, Looks good.

MV5BMzgwY2UwYzktN2E5MC00NDY3LWI2YzYtNzk4ODM4NTQ1NjlhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,665,1000_AL_.jpg
Zooming in it just looks like cosplay. Looks like the helmet is made out of paper mache and painted!

If it is real, well it looks really cheaply and fan made!

Oct 25, 2017
Over analysing everything and worrying obsessively over nothing: the thread.

weird that i don't see any complaints when the over analysis comes from a more positive angle

we also have heard about the sometimes disastrous development cycles of Halo at bungie, they still created far better Halo's than anything 343 has ever done

Matt heard that they were having issues.

It would be kinda insane if there's need to delay it, how long has it been in development? And 343 is huge in terms of manpower. Sadly there have also been some negative rumors about problems, just hope it's nothing.

they aren't working only on a game but on a new engine too, that makes things harder, to their credit

m23

Oct 25, 2017

That looks terrible for a TV show, I think it's clearly cosplay. Especially considering it looks like the photo was taken at some event.

Status
Not open for further replies.