• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
There is no 'cartoony perception'. That's a silly console warrior thing and people like that should not be taken seriously. The reason Bleeding Edge and Grounded had negative reception were not because of their visuals but because they were games that were not in expected genre and styles coming from Obsidian and Ninja Theory. There is no reality where the mixed reception of Bleeding Edge was thanks to it's visuals.

Also, what is this discussion about engines? UE4 is as good as any first party offering. It's why it's one of the succesful engines in the market.

Bleeding Edge's negative response was due to its genre, same as Grounded. Two studios operating in genres they usually don't, both are also AA games. The game prior to Grounded also didn't aim for photo realism (Outer Worlds), labeling anything that doesn't aim to be photo realistic as "cartoony" or "colourful" is already setting an argument/discussion up for failure. I'm only seeing this "Xbox Template/cartoony game perception" from console warriors who seem to be selectively blind, there is a world of difference between Everwild and Battletoads or Gears and Flight sim.
You guys can't say that it's only a silly console warrior thing when there are certainly people that aren't into the whole console war stuff that have had similar thoughts. And yes the type of games also had much to do with it but I don't see how the art style really helps how these games are viewed. Outer Worlds was neither super realistic nor super "cartoony", it had more of a middle ground look to it.

As for the UE thing, I think you guys are getting the wrong idea that I have something against it. I just found it interesting how widely it's been adopted by MS studios as a whole either by choice or by necessity,.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
The time where we speculated on studios was 100x more interesting than whatever is happening here these days.

Couldn't possibly agree more. I'm very excited to see what comes of Phil's recent/current trip to Japan. Very encouraged, and curious about whether or not they actually scoop up a Japanese studio, or create their own.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
You guys can't say that it's only a silly console warrior thing when there are certainly people that aren't into the whole console war stuff that have had similar thoughts. And yes the type of games also had much to do with it but I don't see how the art style really helps how these games are viewed. Outer Worlds was neither super realistic nor super "cartoony", it had more of a middle ground look to it.

As for the UE thing, I think you guys are getting the wrong idea that I have something against it. I just found it interesting how widely it's been adopted by MS studios as a whole either by choice or by necessity,.
Yes I can, because that is console warrior nonsense. The average person has preferences, not console warrior "templates" and "cartoony perceptions." Why couldn't their art styles be a benefit like with many other successful games, you seem to be letting your own preferences influence your argument. We are in a bubble, a forum/twitter/hardcore communities, the biggest games in the world are Fortnite and Minecraft. But like I said at the start the argument was already tired, so to avoid repeating the same points that have been repeated in previous OT's ad nauseam, that's it for me.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Yes I can, because that is console warrior nonsense. The average person has preferences, not console warrior "templates" and "cartoony perceptions." Why couldn't their art styles be a benefit, you seem to be letting your own preferences influence your argument. We are in a bubble, a forum/twitter/hardcore communities, the biggest games in the world are Fortnite and Minecraft.
You're dismissing it as console warrior nonsense and not thinking there are actually people who perceive these games (and Xbox to an extent) a certain way regardless of what that number might be.

I think I've made it clear that I don't actually mind these types of games if they're good and we see more realistic types of games from their studios. I also think that yes there is a bit of truth to how these game's styles may affect people's perception of Xbox's 1st party image at least so far.

Couldn't possibly agree more. I'm very excited to see what comes of Phil's recent/current trip to Japan. Very encouraged, and curious about whether or not they actually scoop up a Japanese studio, or create their own.
I guess if you want to get into this whole JP studio thing Hajime Tabata & Hideo Baba are "free agents" if you will so they wouldn't be bad picks if you want to start a new studio in Japan. You can always get the staff they'd want to work with again from previous games similar to what Hideo Kojima did with Kojima Productions. Outside of that it's extremely hard to say who would fit MS's criteria outside of maybe being a AA studio that can mutually benefit from being acquired.

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
You're dismissing it as console warrior nonsense and not thinking there are actually people who perceive these games (and Xbox to an extent) a certain way regardless of what that number might be

I think I've made it clear that I don't actually mind these types of games if they're good and we see more realistic types of games from their studios. I also think that yes there is a bit of truth to how these game's styles may affect people's perception of Xbox's 1st party image at least so far.
Who said console warriors aren't people ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope Nintendo will survive their "cartoony" perception /s

W.S said:
Nintendo's whole image is based on cartoony!
ded.gif

Last edited:

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Major Nelson said he was trying to get Matt Booty on his podcast for the next episode, so that might be something. I think those are monthly. So sometime in February. And Phil Spencer will be on that gamertag radio podcast soon (feb 10th I think). So at least there might be news next month from those.

But yeah, Inside Xbox is usually announced shortly before the episode. Unless they are at a event like Gamescom or whatever, that has a earlier announce.

I'd say March at the earliest for an Inside Xbox Show.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Life is Strange 2 is such a bitter disappointment. The first game is Top 5 all gen for me. The second game isn't even Top 10 of 2019 (a year I even find to be super weak). I enjoyed the first episode a lot, but all downhill from there. I'm in episode 4 right now. The road trip format does not work for the series at all. The characters are a lot less likable to me. Daniel's constant whining and immaturity makes me not even like him. A lot of the time I'm also shaking my head at actions seeming out of character by a variety of people. I'm also in a church section right now that is beyond ridiculous and offensive. I can only shake my head. So dumb.

Sorry: I meant to post this in the Game Pass thread, but I guess it kinda fits here too.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Cel-Shaded graphics can look amazing, given good art direction. See Borderlands, or the Darksiders series- those are also Unreal engine games.

I like Microsoft very clearly doing things other than gruff military shooters, which is a stigma it held from the heyday of Gears and Halo. I donèt particularly care for the art style of Bleeding Edge, but I'm sure there's some genre bias there- if Double Fine were to make a single-player adventure platformer game in a similar style, I probably wouldn't mind as much.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
First it was "MS doesn't have the power"

then it's "ms doesn't have any games"

now it's "the games aren't photorealistic"

these goalposts always shifting lmao

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I've finished A Plague Tale (15h32m).

What a experience!

Emotional, beautiful and with a superb writing. It made me care deeply it's cast and hate the antagonists so much! Also, I've been saying this since ObsCure, but Olivier Deriviere is one of the best OST creators in the world right now. His tracks are sublime here, and it adds a lot to the atmosphere. I see now why some of you say that Asobo should be a first party studio, and I agree with you guys so much!

RIP Arthur and Rodric :(

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
It seems like there is only really a PS event expected to occur in the next month or two.

I wish we had some idea of when we could expect an Xbox reveal. I know GDC is coming up, but I don't expect much to be talked about beforehand or even during.

This hype for a new generation seems to be high than ever, earlier than ever, and I'm afraid we'll actually be waiting until May for some kind of Xbox event. Feelsbadman.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
First it was "MS doesn't have the power"

then it's "ms doesn't have any games"

now it's "the games aren't photorealistic"

these goalposts always shifting lmao

Sigh. None is saying that last thing and those two first things went hand to hand back in day.

Now it's "CPU, GPU, RAM don't mean shit compared to SSD speeds!"

None is saying this. There are people who have SSD and small loading times as first priority, but none is saying CPU, GPU, RAM doesn't count.

You should both stop that stupid console warring and self loathing. People see Xbox pretty positively currently.

Lol. Are people really saying this?

No.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
It seems like there is only really a PS event expected to occur in the next month or two.

I wish we had some idea of when we could expect an Xbox reveal. I know GDC is coming up, but I don't expect much to be talked about beforehand or even during.

This hype for a new generation seems to be high than ever, earlier than ever, and I'm afraid we'll actually be waiting until May for some kind of Xbox event. Feelsbadman.
With the amount of games coming out from XGS in the first half of the year, I assume we'll have to at least get an episode of Inside Xbox soon.

Jan 4, 2018
I can't agree more with everything you say. I really hope the next game from Dontnod will be better (I haven't played Vampyr yet).
I wasn't able to finish Vampyr.
I don't think I was even halfway.
I would've loved if it was the game they partnered with MS for, because while the idea/world is really interesting, the lack of budget is painfully obvious (to me at least)
I haven't played LiS2 because while I loved LiS, I tried playing LiS Before the Storm and I just can't.
More teenage rebellion than I can digest (didn't particularly like Chloe in LiS already and here it's exacerbated. Max was way more likable) and I fear LiS2 will be more of that

Windu

Oct 25, 2017

I'd only expect a digital foundry like article talking about the specs before GDC just like they did with Xbox One X. Basically to get ahead of the inevitable leaks. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect anything till E3. Really not much to talk about tbh. Just need to know the price/date and what the games look like. We basically know everything else that they are doing.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Interesting read from gamesindustry.biz about Bleeding Edge, and how they've had to design the game to be more accessible for XGP. subs, than if it was a purely retail release marketed at beat 'em up fans. It still seems to have retained a fair amount of depth, though.

I've been kind of 'meh' on this, but having seen a bit more, it looks like fun. In the article, they mention the game's similarities with For Honor, which was a game i'd been hyped enough to play the beta for before release, but never got around to actually buying. I still haven't purchased For Honor and that is partly because the skill ceiling had skyrocketed since launch. Hopefully XGP helps Bleeding Edge get a decent community going and the design mitigates against this onboarding problem somewhat.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'd only expect a digital foundry like article talking about the specs before GDC just like they did with Xbox One X. Basically to get ahead of the inevitable leaks. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect anything till E3. Really not much to talk about tbh. Just need to know the price/date and what the games look like. We basically know everything else that they are doing.

I suppose. Since Sony isn't doing E3 they're going to have a shit ton of 3rd party games to showcase. Just because of that I do hope they have an event beforehand just so they can show off the console without worrying about squishing in all those games.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
I've finished A Plague Tale (15h32m).

What a experience!

Emotional, beautiful and with a superb writing. It made me care deeply it's cast and hate the antagonists so much! Also, I've been saying this since ObsCure, but Olivier Deriviere is one of the best OST creators in the world right now. His tracks are sublime here, and it adds a lot to the atmosphere. I see now why some of you say that Asobo should be a first party studio, and I agree with you guys so much!

RIP Arthur and Rodric :(

Completely agree and indeed a perfect fit for 1st party. Where they ever being really being considered because they should be.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Listening to Kinda Funny's 2020 predictions episode and Imran Kahn (formerly of Game Informer) has a great one... the Initiative's game is a Marvel game. His reasoning being Sony got Spider-Man, Nintendo got Marvel Ultimate Alliance... surely MS is trying to get in on something as well? Could be tied to any of their main characters... would be awesome. Wonder what the chances are.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I haven't played LiS2 because while I loved LiS, I tried playing LiS Before the Storm and I just can't.
More teenage rebellion than I can digest (didn't particularly like Chloe in LiS already and here it's exacerbated. Max was way more likable) and I fear LiS2 will be more of that
Dontnod isn't involved at all with Before the Storm. Even if I didn't like Life is Strange 2, it is much better than Life is Strange: Before the Storm.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Listening to Kinda Funny's 2020 predictions episode and Imran Kahn (formerly of Game Informer) has a great one... the Initiative's game is a Marvel game. His reasoning being Sony got Spider-Man, Nintendo got Marvel Ultimate Alliance... surely MS is trying to get in on something as well? Could be tied to any of their main characters... would be awesome. Wonder what the chances are.

Rod Ferguson showed a Captain America figure on his Twitter a few months back. Could be nothing.

Delryk

Oct 25, 2017
The whole sharing tech, procedures or code or whatever you want between these studios are amazing.

I can only imagine them having a big cloud space between studios and have hundreds if not thousands of fonctional codes and all they have to do is take one, modify/make it better and add it to the cloud as a 1.x.x with detailed info..

I haven't coded in years, but thats how i would have loved to work 10 years ago lol

Making life simple while constantly making it better..

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Quantum Break had some absolutely nutty effects stuff going on as well as the lighting, with the time anomalies and shifts. It also had fantastic character models and facial animation/capture.

Hugely underrated game.
Honestly one of the most underrated of this generation. Sunset Overdrive is up there on that top 10 list too.

Also initially I thought the discussion the last 2 pages was pure sarcasm. Guess not.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It wouldn't be the best choice business wise but if they picked up Dr. Strange I could die a happy man. I'd love for them to pick up a Marvel property but I don't see it happening. That's mostly to keep my optimism in check though.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
Weapon X on Xbox. Think of the marketing synergies.

Jan 4, 2018
So, yesterday I was watching Kinda Funny's 2020 predictions and there was one that made me think "well, maybe?"
Tim Getty said that Marvel approached Sony for Spiderman, Nintendo for MUA3 and that he thought it was hard to imagine Marvel approaching the 2 and not MS or approaching MS and MS not being interested (which yeah, would be kinda odd) and his prediction was that they will revel said game this year and it will be The Initiative's game, and for the character either Dr.Strange, Guardians or Wolverine.
What do you people think?
There's a MS game in the making? Which studio is making it? And wich character will it be about?

Jan 4, 2018
Lol, haven't seen your post before writing mine 🤣

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd be slightly disappointed if Initiative's game was a Marvel game. Not because Marvel games can't be good, but I am hoping for something more original from such an all-stars team.

Status
Not open for further replies.