• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
History shows that the Xbox division has only bought private companies. I think I saw somewhere that Microsoft has never bought a publicly owned company, but I never looked more into it than a poster mentioning it.
11bit, CI Games and Blooper are public companies
Flying Wilf Hog was acquired by Supernova Capital
11 Bit Studios - public
The Astronauts - private
Bloober Team - public
CD Projekt - public
CI Games - public
Codeminion - private
CreativeForge Games - public
Destan Entertainment - private
The Farm 51 - public
Flying Wild Hog - private
Infinite Dreams Inc. - private
LK Avalon - private
People Can Fly - private
Tate Multimedia - public
Techland - private
Teyon - private
Thing Trunk - limited partnership?
Vavel Games - private

(according to Wikipedia, the missing studios were closed)
Even though People Can Fly are private I wonder if them having studios in both New York and England complicates things?

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

tSSfkW8.gif

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I was looking through Techland's list of games and nothing in there excites me much. They seem to do a lot of zombie stuff which I'm pretty meh about. Were their recent games pretty well received and creative? It seems like all the studios they've acquired so far like Obsidian, NT, inXile, Double Fine, Compusion etc have put out some pretty creative and original games.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I was looking through Techland's list of games and nothing in there excites me much. They seem to do a lot of zombie stuff which I'm pretty meh about. Were their recent games pretty well received and creative? It seems like all the studios they've acquired so far like Obsidian, NT, inXile, Double Fine etc have put out some pretty creative and original games.

Dying Light is a great game. They've also supported it since the launch in 2015, with free updates, a Expansion (The Following) and multiple modes (also free). When it launched, it received mixed reviews (75% on metacritic), but with The Following Expansion they achieved great reviews (85% Metacritic).

You can say that their games are innovative, since DL introduced Parkour mechanic with RPG elements on a Open World setting, and with DL2 they're going one step beyond this, with player decisions Changing the world drastically. And also, Chris Avellone is one of the leaders on the project, you should watch the 20 minutes long demo they released.

youtu.be

Dying Light 2 - 4K Gameplay Demo

Watch the 26-minute award-winning Dying Light 2 gameplay demo to see how a water crisis unfolds in an infected city. Follow an entire in-game mission and fin...

That being said, I don't believe these rumours about their acquisition.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe
I was looking through Techland's list of games and nothing in there excites me much. They seem to do a lot of zombie stuff which I'm pretty meh about. Were their recent games pretty well received and creative? It seems like all the studios they've acquired so far like Obsidian, NT, inXile, Double Fine, Compusion etc have put out some pretty creative and original games.
Would love for them to bring back Call of Juarez. The last 3 games are backwards compatible but not the first one. Maybe even a remake/remaster of the first one to see how it is received and ensure future generations get to experience the game.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Even though People Can Fly are private I wonder if them having studios in both New York and England complicates things?

I wouldn't think it'd be that big of a deal. Maybe a couple extra hoops to go through than just a studio in one country, but I wouldn't expect it to be anything too crazy since MS is pretty active in both territories.

Have there been any rumors? I've only seen speculation so far.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Dying Light is a great game. They've also supported it since the launch in 2015, with free updates, a Expansion (The Following) and multiple modes (also free). When it launched, it received mixed reviews (75% on metacritic), but with The Following Expansion they achieved great reviews (85% Metacritic).

You can say that their games are innovative, since DL introduced Parkour mechanic with RPG elements on a Open World setting, and with DL2 they're going one step beyond this, with player decisions Changing the world drastically. And also, Chris Avellone is one of the leaders on the project, you should watch the 20 minutes long demo they released.

youtu.be

Dying Light 2 - 4K Gameplay Demo

Watch the 26-minute award-winning Dying Light 2 gameplay demo to see how a water crisis unfolds in an infected city. Follow an entire in-game mission and fin...

Thanks for the info. I skimmed through that video and yeah Dying Light 2 looks very impressive visually. I remember the original reveal of Dying Light but as someone who gets motion sickness from games there was no way I was going to play that so I didn't pay it that much attention.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Man this is a bad take. This stinks of console warring. Blue Dragon outsold or at least came close to outselling most first party PS4 games in Japan. Exclusives matter, but they're not the only important thing when it comes to genre sales.

Absolutely exclusives sell consoles, but only with all other things being equal. If you're choosing between Xbox and PS4 and PS4 has new entries in long running Japanese series or new games from beloved studios and Xbox doesn't, then the new IP doesn't really matter as much. Xbox has tried to get new IP from big names to attract people, ReCore, Crimson Dragon, Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon of course, but it only goes so far.

I'd like to see Xbox focus on both, but it seems like they're more trying to close the gap with 3rd party parity right now. Still holding out hope for Lost Odyssey two.

You all have to stop with all this "console warring" nonsense every other word because someone said something you didn't like.

And what he was saying and what you said here are two different things. I know many that did exactly what he's saying on other sites who definitely treated JRPG's like they were a birthright and held it against MS during the 360 era.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I don't want to turn this into a Senua thread, but the pattern matching puzzles are repetitive. The combat is repetitive, although it serves the story. I think overall the game was okay. The story, environments, characters, all that was good. The issue is I really had to push myself through the first 2 challenges before I saw any magic and I'm sure the game lost a lot of people there.

The puzzles are repetitive but serves the mythos and story, the combat is no more repetitive than literally every game in existence. I think you mean, limited.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
You all have to stop with all this "console warring" nonsense every other word because someone said something you didn't like.

And what he was saying and what you said here are two different things. I know many that did exactly what he's saying on other sites who definitely treated JRPG's like they were a birthright and held it against MS during the 360 era.

I don't deny that those people exist, see Astral Chain, but their significance is way overblown. They're certainly not the reason the Xbox hasn't sold well in Japan compared to Playstation, and they're certainly not a reason for Xbox to ignore or give up on Japanese games.

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
Please be a new fantasy RPG IP instead of Fable

I'am ready for anytype of exploration open world RPG. Atleast we know it's going to be a big game, new tech and beautiful. let's hope the hires pay out, lots of big games influencing.
  • the ongoing development of our technology
  • strong desire to push the boundaries of technology
  • develop world leading AI
  • engaging, exciting and innovative gameplay
  • a world that's teeming with life and possibilities
  • diverse set of characters
  • cloth simulation
  • entirely new AAA open world action RPG
  • Understanding of Photogrammetry
  • both baked and dynamic lighting
  • departments both internally and externally
  • working with outsource vendors

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Please be a new fantasy RPG IP instead of Fable

If you think fable Reboot will be cartoonish, you're wrong.

I think this is an example of the type of character we will have in the future Fable. It really looks like the character concept test which leaked a few months ago.

Expect Playground Games to compete with CDRED productions.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I've never had any interest in Fable. I have faith that Playground will do something interesting with the IP though.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've never had any interest in Fable. I have faith that Playground will do something interesting with the IP though.
I suspect a significant amount of people that are interested in this Fable game by Playground will not have played any Fable games before and/or were never fans or that interested in past Fable games.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Hopefully they will for the reveal event

Yeah they could drop the redundant Halo segment toward the beginning and then swap out Battletoads + State of Decay, giving three new spots. Everwild, Age of Empires, and anything else (something Obsidian or Psychonauts would be good).

I would prefer that they slow down on the acquisitions, and spend some of that money investing in the studios that they have already acquired. Make sure they can handle the growth first, and then continue growing.

I think that's pretty much what they're doing.

Also I don't mean to be a downer but I don't think it's a slam dunk that their management is fixed or guaranteed to handle this number of studios well, at least at the beginning. I believe them when they talk about creative freedom etc., I just mean in the sense that managing big organizations well is hard and Xbox Studios hasn't been that big until recently. So it may take a bit of time to get things right and it's good for them to slow the pace instead of going nuts adding even more studios (unless a great opportunity presents itself of course).

Probably but I would rather not have any part of Playground shackled to an IP that MS wilfully pummeled into the ground.

I think it'll be called "Fable" and also have almost nothing to do with Fable 1-3.

Maybe they could do the western RPG equivalent of Final Fantasy... There's room for many "fables" with a few shared references or mechanics but nothing in common storywise or even in terms of basic gameplay systems.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.