• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2018
XBox Studios in my opinion should focus on providing something different froma mp based games.
We have Halo, Gears which are two military shooters focused on multiplayer, Sea of Thieves is again a mp title, I don't play racing games so I can't speak for Forza. But I'd like a Scalebound revival, very bummed Microsoft closed the project.
That's relative though.
To me both Gears and Halo are SP because that's all I played from them, and as SP games they don't feel worse/shorter campaigns than any other FPS/TPS. So I don't think you can say they are SP or MP, they are both, and depend on what you look for personnally, to you it'll be SP or MP.
Forza is the same. You can participate in MP events or you can play as a strict SP game.
I agree about Scalebound though. I'd love for it to come back at one point. (Incidentally though, Scalebound was to be another game like I described Halo, Gears and Forza, where you could play it SP or participate on MP)

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I talked about it a little bit, but as cool and intriguing as Everwild's teaser was, I don't think a new IP should be shown without being clear on what to expect. When The Initiative announces their game, show gameplay!

Nah, I disagree. If a game is too far out but something that would create heavy buzz then they should show it be it a CGI teaser or otherwise because the stigma has been their lack of games and new IP and they need to get rid of it.

I would prefer gameplay but I don't have to have it.

Aug 26, 2018
Playground have been working on their RPG since at least Autumn 2017, probably Summer. I'd imagine that this tweet from November 2017 would have been a decent chunk of time after doing initial work. They would, for example, not know their precise space needs for the new game until a decent amount of concept work had been done. They wouldn't be able to allocate office space for the job until they knew the scope of the game.

https://twitter.com/WeArePlayground/status/933286955978252288?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^933286955978252288&ref_url=https://powerup-gaming.com/2017/11/23/playground-games-open-world-rpg/

So an announcement in 2020 for release in 2021 would easily give enough time for a proper AAA effort. I can see the game getting released somewhere in March/April 2021.

If this is indeed the case, thats a stellar 6 months for us, Series X and Gamepass.

Maybe Hellblade 2 & AoE4 for Fall 2021?

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I have used it. I don't know why it would go out to the internet. I am on the same network as my Xbox. As for streaming my Console outside my network? No I haven't tried that, but my upload is barely 1. So it would be awful anyway.
That's great, it means it detects the console and smartphone are on the same network and it bypasses the web. That's quite smart.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a way to see historical sales prices for games/DLC? I've just got back into Rock Band and wanted to know how often the Rivals DLC is on sale and how low it usually goes.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Scottish , English, Welsh , Irish
All live on the British isles. All British

Together they form the political entity of the United Kingdom

In the context of Braveheart, and forgiving the anachronism of the UK (after all, it wasn't a thing until long after William Wallace), the Scots were absolutely not 'British' in any political sense, if we are to use 'UK' et al ;) That's the point of Gibson's film, after all!

PEDANTRY IS FUN.

(also Ireland says hi ;D)

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
In the context of Braveheart, and forgiving the anachronism of the UK (after all, it wasn't a thing until long after William Wallace), the Scots were absolutely not 'British' in any political sense, if we are to use 'UK' et al ;) That's the point of Gibson's film, after all!

PEDANTRY IS FUN.

(also Ireland says hi ;D)

Hello Ireland.

Yes, pedantry is fun.

It's Braveheart that was wrong.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, it means it detects the console and smartphone are on the same network and it bypasses the web. That's quite smart.
Well its not automatic on their end. In the Android app you select Project xCloud or Console Streaming.

Project xCloud = Xbox in Microsoft datacenter streaming to your device. Right now they have about 50 or so games that you can test.

Console Streaming = Your Xbox streaming to your device. Can be used on your Network or Outside of it. Basically if you have used the Xbox One to Windows 10 streaming introduced back in 2015, its the same thing. Steams your console, dashboard and all. Can even use your media apps. But it seems they have made major improvements since I used it last. Works very well. Better than Steam Remote play in my experience.

nPGjKZl_d.jpg

Only things that kinda sucks atm, is backwards compatible games don't stream yet from your console. Maybe in the future.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Hello Ireland.

Yes, pedantry is fun.

It's Braveheart that was wrong.

Just to continue. Yes, I said geographically, I know this.

Politically (which is the point of Braveheart, entirely), however, 'Britain' has a significant meaning that, somewhat anachronistically, has an impact on readings of that story: Scotland ain't British, because Britain is an English-dominated political construction. Even as, yes, this all takes place on the British Isles. See also: the RoI. Indeed, that link itself notes the usage of 'British' in relation to the 1707 Union.

I've lost the original point, but something something ackshurly!!!

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Just to continue. Yes, I said geographically, I know this.

Politically (which is the point of Braveheart, entirely), however, 'Britain' has a significant meaning that, somewhat anachronistically, has an impact on readings of that story: Scotland ain't British, because Britain is an English-dominated political construction. Even as, yes, this all takes place on the British Isles. See also: the RoI. Indeed, that link itself notes the usage of 'British' in relation to the 1707 Union.

I've lost the original point, but something something ackshurly!!!

I know what you mean, but I believe that's a more modern take on the word. British as a descriptor was bought back into use purely in order to acknowledge the joining of Scotland with England and Wales, it wasn't used to describe the English and Welsh pre-union.

What's happened since is a separate conversation.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Keyword is "some". I could deal with some humor and bits of silliness but I'd prefer the plot and narrative to be more mature throughout.

If they follow any sort of template laid out by the originals, it'd be a mature weighty story set in a silly world. Not that I'm saying they need a template, but to me that's the best balance of mature and silly. It gives you a real story to chew on and experience, but if you need a break you just step off the path. Too mature is boring, not mature enough is Borderlands. Balance is key.

Scottish , English, Welsh , Irish
All live on the British isles. All British

Together they form the political entity of the United Kingdom

Technically Britain only refers to the one Island, Scotland England and Wales. The full name of the UK is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Apr 6, 2018
That would definitely be a cool direction to take it in. Job ads for the RPG project have mentioned "witty dialogue", so there will likely be some humour in the game.
Thanks for appreciating my idea, however we should stop creating ourselves this kind of expectations and let PGG do their thing a judge it without any prejudice
I hope Fable 4 will have GOT/LOTR vibe, it could be incredible.

Game Pass the Netflix of gaming will have :

-Halo infinite - Their own star wars universe like

-
Fable Reboot - Their own GOT/LOTR universe like

-Double Fine next IP - Their own Pixar/DreamWork universe like

etc...
I doubt you will find bigger Lotr/tolkien fan in this thread than me. We have already a lot of that, even if the peculiar themes and vibe of LOTR never worked well with gaming, if theywill be able to catch that vibe and not just mimicking it without any understanding of why it works so well like the terry brooks and the christopher paolini of the world, I will be surprised.
Also GOT suck. Asoiaf is a different thing
I watched the first two seasons of Homeland and legit didn't even realize the show was still on the air.

Also, the show is probably going to suck, so maybe less viewers is better.
I just hope it's better than the witcher, which was super lame if you exclude Cavill
What? No no no. Fable with GoT politics, violence and incest and rape? Uh, no thanks.

Fable doesn't have to remain as silly but it definitely needs to stay whimsical. Even LOTR is a much too serious vibe for that series.

To me a more apt comparison would be the Harry Potter universe. Real sense of danger with cool creatures but a more whimsical take on fantasy. No gritty grim Fable.
Fable was full of violence and sex since the inception, because it was born as a parody of the classic high fantasy tropes, like LOTR and HP in the early 2000s, so twisting the heroic setting letting you behave like a jerk was awesome.
The problem is that now sex and violence are not shocking the public anymore due to GOT, TW and Dragon Age, so going serious will be dumb because they would jump on the trend while it's decaying, while being a parody of the subgenre, that could be a thing
I'm not so sure, GOT definitely not. It's too dark and grim and just, no. Fable shouldn't be chasing fantasy tropes no matter it what it does. Especially since the fantasy RPG landscape is about to be pretty stacked, Fable has to standout somehow, just like the original. Zig when they zag as they said at BBB.

Maybe LOTR, but Lord of the Rings is... Well, I'm not sure what vibe that is. The Peter Jackson movies are mostly great, and I'm not allowed to speak a bad word about Peter Jackson, but they're sort of generic fantasy wise. I guess that's like calling Doom a generic shooter, but here I am. It does stand out from the more darker gritty modern fantasy landscape, which is good, but that's because.. well... It's old.

It's funny that you mention Harry Potter, Fable sometimes gets compared to it and Dene Carter isn't a huge fan of it. It's not the worst example though.

In a weird way I think The Witcher is actually a good example. Not the games, the show. Because at first glance it's like "oh, this is gonna be Game of Thrones" but then Dandelion starts jamming and Geralt goes "Fuck" and it's actually a pretty fun ride. It has some very dark moments certainly, but so did Fable. It's also good because it's a bit more of a personal story, at least so far. It's different though, which is nice.

To me Fable stood out in the day for a few reasons. Obviously the whimsy and silly humor, the sim elements were a huge part of it, but it was also a pretty personal story, pretty ahead of its time in that respect. Some of those things should remain in tact for even a reboot. I agree that Playground should do their own thing, but if you're gonna call it Fable, you've got to do something to make it Fable.
LOTR looks generic because it's a 1955 book that everyone copied, at a surface level, without understanding it.In a genre called "fantasy".
The PJ movies, the same, they are the base of each fantasy movie, show and game aestethics
I disagree. I want something that holds weight.

It should have humor, but it doesn't need whimsy and silliness.
Depend, I don't think going the epic and dark route will bring any weight.
In all honesty, whatever Playground is working on, I'm excited to finally see it. Fable or not.
^^^^
We should let them work and not trying to overthink it because when it won't be our ideal game, we will be let down
There's no Probably for this E3. MS will have to show all their cards. Ready or Not.
I don't think so, they have XsX full reveal, gamescom, X020, it's a marathon, not a sprint

Apr 6, 2018
Theres allot of motocross helmets and full mx outfits in FH4. Even a full event that has mx bikes that you race against. I think it was all a tease for FH5 having motocross racing. There will be a whole side quest with LaRacer that revolves around how great Motocross Madness was.
😉
I wouldn't hold my breath, all the games which feature both cars and motocross do it in a different section of the game, like an expansion in driveclub fashion.
The problem is the depiction of the incidents and collision with the pilot.
It could be a different thing in a separate championship of the horizon festival tho

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
A modern, more mature Kameo is a success waiting to happen.
I can't make a definitive call on the mood of Everwild just from the reveal teaser (SoT's initial showings didn't convey the full breadth of its tone), but it seems rather serious if that's what you're saying by "mature". I absolutely would hope a modern Kameo would be a success, but I'd love a hypothetical Kameo revival staying the Rare fantasy IP that is super cartoony.

I feel the same way about the Fable revival tone discussion, I hope its scales don't tip heavily in the direction of self-serious fantasy at the price of its silly charm (though as another poster pointed out, I could do without the series' style of bathroom humor).

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
LOTR looks generic because it's a 1955 book that everyone copied, at a surface level, without understanding it.In a genre called "fantasy".
The PJ movies, the same, they are the base of each fantasy movie, show and game aestethics

Yeah, I agree. That's why I said it felt weird to call Lord of the Rings generic, because really it's a template and the generic fantasy that's followed it has been copying it. I know the original Fable avoided a lot of the LOTR tropes very specifically, no elves or orcs or Hobbits. It's weird to think of LOTR as an example for Fable because of how much Fable tried to avoid being like LOTR, but it's a better example than GoT or even A Song of Ice and Fire in that it doesn't take its self too seriously all the time. Like for every unspeakable horror there is at least one Tom Bombadil.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Sooooo Infinite is the big launch game for Scarlett...Fable (or whatever Playground is working on) as the big 2021 tent pole Fall game???

That would be an amazing start to the gen...

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
Sooooo Infinite is the big launch game for Scarlett...Fable (or whatever Playground is working on) as the big 2021 tent pole Fall game???

That would be an amazing start to the gen...
Didn't they say they wanted to release every 3 month something new as a goal? So will be intresting to see what projects they drop beside infinite.

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

SiassaDavid

Jun 15, 2018
Vienna, Austria
GreedFall not available on Xbox Store. Could it be next Xbox Game Pass game? https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/greedfall/9p3znwcxp5qj?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
It is: https://www.microsoft.com/p/greedfall/bwmh4rq4q06f

Another thing:
How is everybody finding Xbox Console Streaming?
I love it, even bought a clip for the controller. Horizon 4 works surprisingly well!
Sometimes the video freezes but I still here sound - anybody has fixed that?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Doesn't Forza 7 and Battlefront 2 also use photogrammatry?
Yes.

The tech obviously progresses all the time, as do the skills of the devs working with it, but I feel like the results in Forza Horizon 4 are some of the best so far.

It's highly likely their RPG will use the tech as well, already giving an incredibly positive outlook on the visuals to expect.

simon-hughes-14-simonhughes.jpg

jake-woodruff-enviro-03.jpg

stefan-oprisan-forza-horizon-4-screenshot-2018-12-06-18-41-44-33.jpg

don-arceta-don-arceta-21.jpg

don-arceta-don-arceta-05.jpg

don-arceta-don-arceta-41.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.