• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
pekpW8A.jpg

MNvnZUq.jpg

I think we could do with a new logo/power button.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
A Lockhart would probably make sense to coming out whenever MS starts releasing Scarlett exclusives. Because until then, it's kinda pointless.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Just to play devil's advocate, what are your thoughts on this post from a verified dev:
I already posted my thoughts on that in the thread it was posted in - comparing S to X in the same way of Lockhart to Anaconda is pointless. From a technical standpoint: S and X do not share the same memory architecture at all which can obviously cause potential issues when developing for both platforms. This is not going to be the case for Lockhart and Anaconda which will have been developed ground up in tandem to ensure easy scalability between the two without compromise. Not to mention the example give of "The Outer Worlds" X version being inferior to Pro is nonsense - it soon had a patch released after launch that fixed the lowered foliage setting. It was a simple setting change no different to the plethora of settings that can be changed on the PC version, not a technical limitation or issue.

From a commercial standpoint, we are no longer in 2006. So it seems baffling to be using PS3 launch as a reference point. Some people will just want a "Game Pass box", and they'll go for a cheaper option. The S and SAD just sold gangbusters over Black Friday, not the X. Last year it was base PS4 doing the business with Spider-Man bundles, not PS4 Pro.

Personally I'd be more interested in the thoughts of a AAA studio/game director/programmer, because Lockhart is certainly not going to stifle any ambitions of indie devs - where they are currently aiming for Switch as the baseline anyway.

Also, games like DOOM, Witcher 3 etc - were these held back because of Switch? Of course not, they are playable on Switch because they have been scaled down to play on Switch. And the same will be the case of Lockhart if it comes to fruition. Just like we're seeing many games target Pro/X these days, with lower quality textures, settings, framerates and resolutions on PS4 base and S.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I already posted my thoughts on that in the thread it was posted in - comparing S to X in the same way of Lockhart to Anaconda is pointless. From a technical standpoint: S and X do not share the same memory architecture at all which can obviously cause potential issues when developing for both platforms. This is not going to be the case for Lockhart and Anaconda which will have been developed ground up in tandem to ensure easy scalability between the two without compromise. Not to mention the example give of "The Outer Worlds" X version being inferior to Pro is nonsense - it soon had a patch released after launch that fixed the lowered foliage setting. It was a simple setting change no different to the plethora of settings that can be changed on the PC version, not a technical limitation or issue.

From a commercial standpoint, we are no longer in 2006. So it seems baffling to be using PS3 launch as a reference point. Some people will just want a "Game Pass box", and they'll go for a cheaper option. The S and SAD just sold gangbusters over Black Friday, not the X. Last year it was base PS4 doing the business with Spider-Man bundles, not PS4 Pro.

Personally I'd be more interested in the thoughts of a AAA studio/game director/programmer, because Lockhart is certainly not going to stifle any ambitions of indie devs - where they are currently aiming for Switch as the baseline anyway.

Also, games like DOOM, Witcher 3 etc - were these held back because of Switch? Of course not, they are playable on Switch because they have been scaled down to play on Switch. And the same will be the case of Lockhart if it comes to fruition. Just like we're seeing many games target Pro/X these days, with lower quality textures, settings, framerates and resolutions on PS4 base and S.

We even have a prime example that all this hold back theory is bullshit with the latest DF video showing Alien Isolation looking better on the switch than the Ps4 and it is not even close imo.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know how we could generalize it like that. Looking at CPU especially though obviously so. Of course I don't know the final specs.

I understand. Thank you Klob!

Just asking because that's the question a regular consumer is going to make too. When a company starts saying "b-but the CPU is more powerful and it has an SSD" but denies to say "it's more powerful" it starts sounding like a PR spin and does not inspire truth (we'll see how they handle that, of course)

I know it is not good to generalize like that, but the question should be simple to answer for Microsoft (not saying that you have to or giving you any responsibilities on this, just my opinion). Is it more powerful or not? YES or NO. And that's it.

More powerful meaning it could run the exact same game with better resolution, better FPS or better graphics (SDD stuff aside, which will obviously make a difference).

Aug 23, 2018
It also could be they take a small hit on Lockhart but keep it in the black for Anaconda hoping that the fact the all digital nature of Lockhart will help make up for some of the costs. Like a doorbuster sale.

This. Assuming Anaconda is roughly the same power and price of PS5 (let's say $500), I could see MS pricing Lockhart in the 299-349 range.

Black Friday proved that all digital is more than OK with consumers if you are priced well below the competition. MS will get the benefit of all digital Sale and subscription revenue.

There seems to be a certain misconception going around on what Lockhart will actually be. I see people acting like as if Lockhart is meant to be a toaster playing videogames - and this couldn't be any more wrong.

Lockhart will be a true next generation console with next generational components. Both devices - if this is really what they'll go with in less than a year from now (and yes, despite the Kotaku article, this is still an *if*) - Anaconda and Lockhart, will share the same solutions for CPU, memory and SSD. Especially the CPU area will be incredibly important for next generation consoles. Zen 2 will allow not only higher framerates here, but also better physics, worlds that are filled with more life, more characters on screen, better AI, more precise simulation. Simply said: it will allow *more*. In combination with incredibly fast SSD and memory solutions, this will allow devs to build next generation experiences without holding back.

When looking at scalability, doing so via GPU and resolution seems like the easiest and most obvious solution. Rendering games at 4K requires a lot of resources. Offering a console *option* that scales back on resolution but stays true on every other aspects of a game is a no-brainer in an age of dynamic resolution methods, ML upscaling, intelligent sharpening filters etc. It allows to bring down the price on that console, which might also be releant for xCloud in future, as resources mean everything in the datacenters just as much. You don't need to only have Anaconda's sitting there in a few years when many people only stream to max. 1080p devices anyway (mobile).

I keep reading goal post arguments that Lockhart might "hold next generation" back. This lacks any rationale and doesn't mirror the situation of gaming ... At all. First and foremost: why do we simply ignore that every single Xbox first-party game will still come to PC? Yesterday, today and in future? Minimum requirements to play certain games on PC will be lower than Lockhart will ever be for many, many years to come. Xbox Game Studios are used to allow great scaling of their gams for so many years already, with their PC versions even being some of the best on the PC market these days. Scalability is important. I keep refering to my personal prime example here being Sea of Thieves. The game basically runs on a toaster, yet it looks absolutely incredible at 4K/60fps on a high-end rig. I would go even one step further and say that giving your developers the task to make your games scale great *profits* a "high-end" version as performance optimizations are happening for every kind of scale level.

Scalability on Lockhart is primarily meant to be done via GPU scaling. How does a GTX 980 hold back Remedy's Control on a RTX 2080 Ti and its next generation raytracing rendering? How does the original Xbox One GPU hold back one of the best-looking games available with Forza Horizon 4 played on a PC at 4K/60 Ultra? How does a Surface Laptop 3 GPU hold back Gears 5 on being the most-impressive looking HDR/60fps game on consoles this generation? I could go on and on. The answer will always be the same: it doesn't hold it back. Lockhart will not hold back anything as the components that will allow "next generation" experiences will be there. Just at lower resolutions and/or some graphical effect sliders set to a lower value.

Price matters so, so much. Some countries are more price sensitive than others, this is absolutely a fair comment to make. Thinking about Jimmy's mom here, who just wants to get her son the newest "FIFA for a new generation" or the "Fortnite next gen update", going into a Walmart and seeing a $399 console allowing this as well as a $499 one standing next to each other (the prices are just exemplary), Jimmy's mom doesn't have many reasons to not pick the cheaper one here. Both play the same games.
I think it's ironic we are on a "hardcore-gaming" forum here but all we focus on right now is Lockhart. An optional console that is not even aimed towards "us". The actual news should be: if Lockhart on the one end exists, so does Anaconda on the other end. And this is where this situation gets interesting. It would mean MS sticked with their original plan on not only offering the lowest price console on the one end, but more importantly on the other end also the best-performing device going into next-gen. Lockhart allows Anaconda to do ... More. After all, both are just two more options to get into the Xbox / Game Pass ecosystem.

The last point I want to add something to is the "confusion for the customer" argument. I don't know where this is suddenly coming from, but it's yet another example of something that completely ignores the industry itself, other industries, PC gaming or even ... This console generation. We are not talking about MS offering 20 different kind of SKUs here. We are talking about 2. *Two*. Something console gaming customers are used to since the release of PS4 Pro already - and something customers in pretty much *every other tech area* are used to for many, many years already, with many more options that just two. There are Pro/Plus/S/Super/Light/Basic/Core versions everywhere. The tech industry has learned that you need to offer *options* to reach a broader pool of customers. And if the differentiation is as easy as it is supposed to be here - offering TWO options on both price/performance ends - I simply think talking about "confusion" here seems very much disconnected from reality. I'll totally admit one thing on this one though: Xbox *needs* to get the naming right. They shouldn't do any experiments here. Naming needs to be easy and on-point. No doubt about that.

If you followed my comments on this whole topic a bit in the past, you'll know that I'm a proponent for the Xbox two SKU strategy. Because the truth is: both Nintendo and Playstation have a much more dominant mind-share and more promiment brands than Xbox. That's simply part of the truth and that is totally fine. You just need to have a plan on how to deal with that. And going into next-gen with one device that only equals PS5 in both price and performance will not do much for your brand. It's as easy as that. You need to do things differently. And offering options left and right is something the Xbox brand is doing industry-leading moves in since Phil became the Head of Xbox. Xbox needs and wants to become a brand that stands for diversity and options in games, hardware and services.

Please keep in mind this post is built on the foundation that the Lockhart/Anaconda roadmap is happenig in 2020. I can't guarantee that - and I won't. But not doing it this way would be a wasted opportunity for Xbox, its community and more importantly its future.

Misconception? About Xbox?? On Resetera?!?

Excellent post, Squirrell. I've been a big fan of this 2 Sku approach since it was rumored last year, happy to see that it's still on the table. It makes so much sense for MS and aligns with their recent out of the box, more options for the consumer approach

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
Just to play devil's advocate, what are your thoughts on this post from a verified dev:
www.resetera.com

Despite saying that it wouldn't have any, GTSport introduces microtransactions in update [Read OP]

Credits goes to @RobotBrush on Twitter for pointing that out: Link to the Eurogamer article: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-30-gran-turismo-sports-big-new-update-introduces-microtransactions Opinion/line of thoughts: It seems that after the poor launch of the game and ensuing...
He is partial.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If MS does do the two SKU strategy I think it would be better to launch with Anaconda first, maybe in Oct or Sep as the core console launch, then launch Lockhart early Nov in time for the Christmas shopping season.

predrag

Oct 27, 2017
It's one dev. First FIVE paragraphs he talks about sales, business models and marketing. Then he finally says something about dev, but barely saying anything substantial like CPU, GPU, and SDD possible differences between two models. I don't say his opinion is less valid because of that, but we need to hear others, who will actually contribute to the "worries" (if there are any). And, when Lockart was first time mentioned months ago there wasn't any backlash from devs (or I missed them?).

danrbg

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
It makes no sense to launch a weaker console graphically later than the original. The strategy is clear, they are going to launch the 2 at the same time.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If MS does do the two SKU strategy I think it would be better to launch with Anaconda first, maybe in Oct or Sep as the core console launch, then launch Lockhart early Nov in time for the Christmas shopping season.

I'm just not convinced that a couple months will drive the point you're thinking of. Even the Xbox One + Kinect bundle was sold out during it's first holiday. Better to release them both at the same time and make the marketing strategy as clear as possible around that.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
They take a small hit / no hit on Lockhart and take a massive hit for Anaconda. Anaconda is the dick waving loss leading SKU that isn't expected to outsell PS5 / Lockhart.
That's definitely the assumed move, but if they have a console that is on par with PS5, then they won't be taking a hit on the Anaconda, imo. PS5 and Anaconda being comparable machines, to me, says neither took a hit on that console. Sony might not even be able to considering they rely on that revenue piece a bit more than MS? MS, maybe, would want to get the entry level Lockhart down to the magic $300 at launch and take a hit on it while supplementing that somewhat with high-end users of Anaconda and digital sales from Lockhart being digital-only.

TeaLeaf

Oct 11, 2018

Maybe it will work maybe it won't but the entire point of Lockhart is to remove the "ALWAYS PREMIUM" buy in perception that a new console cycle brings. Offering a good cheaper option from the start of the gen might actually allow people to jump into next-gen from the start rather than waiting 4 years for that $200+ price cut down the line if Lockhart is priced well enough.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just not convinced that a couple months will drive the point you're thinking of. Even the Xbox One + Kinect bundle was sold out during it's first holiday. Better to release them both at the same time and make the marketing strategy as clear as possible around that.
Iirc the launch sales have even been better for Xbox one than for Xbox 360's.
My point was not about sales, it was about messaging. I expect the Lockhart to sell as much, if not more than Anaconda at launch.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
My point was not about sales, it was about messaging. I expect the Lockhart to sell as much, if not more than Anaconda at launch.

Yeah I know my point was that even with the bad messaging at launch and at reveal of the Xbox one the sales went crazy So this time while focusing on gaming again they should easily be more successful with Scarlett no matter if 2 Sku's or only 1 SkU.

I am lazy at writing sorry should have been more clear before.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Control coming to Game Pass?

Jump to 44'02", words from Spencer itself.

"I though Control was really good, it didn't reach enough people, so I'm glad to see it's coming in to Game Pass so hopefully more people play it."

Before I watched it I was like "Yeah sure...move on" But when watching and especially hearing it I was like "Was he supposed to say this ?"

I have a feeling he did know it(obviously) but wasn't acutally "allowed" to say it ? He was kind of hesitant after he recognized half through the line that he is about to say something not ready for public.

ronabs

Mar 15, 2018
Before I watched it I was like "Yeah sure...move on" But when watching and especially hearing it I was like "Was he supposed to say this ?"

I have a feeling he did know it(obviously) but wasn't acutally "allowed" to say it ? He was kind of hesitant after he recognized half through the line that he is about to say something not ready for public.
Probably, they must be very strict in about what they can say in public.

But I hope it turns out to be true soon, it's a superb action game with a deep narrative and have one of the most fascinating moments in gaming in 2019.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Control coming to Game Pass?

Jump to 44'02", words from Spencer itself.

"I thought Control was really good, it didn't reach enough people, so I'm glad to see it's coming in to Game Pass so hopefully more people play it."

Hope it comes to PC GP as well. I bought it on XBO at launch, completed it, loved it, but have since built a new PC and would like to check out the ray tracing implementation in the PC version.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
If they don't release at same time I hope that Anaconda comes first, because I want the most powerful one but if Lockhart releases first I think I will be tempted to buy it as soon as possible.
Either way I'm sure that that will not happen.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
There seems to be a certain misconception going around on what Lockhart will actually be. I see people acting like as if Lockhart is meant to be a toaster playing videogames - and this couldn't be any more wrong.

Lockhart will be a true next generation console with next generational components. Both devices - if this is really what they'll go with in less than a year from now (and yes, despite the Kotaku article, this is still an *if*) - Anaconda and Lockhart, will share the same solutions for CPU, memory and SSD. Especially the CPU area will be incredibly important for next generation consoles. Zen 2 will allow not only higher framerates here, but also better physics, worlds that are filled with more life, more characters on screen, better AI, more precise simulation. Simply said: it will allow *more*. In combination with incredibly fast SSD and memory solutions, this will allow devs to build next generation experiences without holding back.

When looking at scalability, doing so via GPU and resolution seems like the easiest and most obvious solution. Rendering games at 4K requires a lot of resources. Offering a console *option* that scales back on resolution but stays true on every other aspects of a game is a no-brainer in an age of dynamic resolution methods, ML upscaling, intelligent sharpening filters etc. It allows to bring down the price on that console, which might also be releant for xCloud in future, as resources mean everything in the datacenters just as much. You don't need to only have Anaconda's sitting there in a few years when many people only stream to max. 1080p devices anyway (mobile).

I keep reading goal post arguments that Lockhart might "hold next generation" back. This lacks any rationale and doesn't mirror the situation of gaming ... At all. First and foremost: why do we simply ignore that every single Xbox first-party game will still come to PC? Yesterday, today and in future? Minimum requirements to play certain games on PC will be lower than Lockhart will ever be for many, many years to come. Xbox Game Studios are used to allow great scaling of their gams for so many years already, with their PC versions even being some of the best on the PC market these days. Scalability is important. I keep refering to my personal prime example here being Sea of Thieves. The game basically runs on a toaster, yet it looks absolutely incredible at 4K/60fps on a high-end rig. I would go even one step further and say that giving your developers the task to make your games scale great *profits* a "high-end" version as performance optimizations are happening for every kind of scale level.

Scalability on Lockhart is primarily meant to be done via GPU scaling. How does a GTX 980 hold back Remedy's Control on a RTX 2080 Ti and its next generation raytracing rendering? How does the original Xbox One GPU hold back one of the best-looking games available with Forza Horizon 4 played on a PC at 4K/60 Ultra? How does a Surface Laptop 3 GPU hold back Gears 5 on being the most-impressive looking HDR/60fps game on consoles this generation? I could go on and on. The answer will always be the same: it doesn't hold it back. Lockhart will not hold back anything as the components that will allow "next generation" experiences will be there. Just at lower resolutions and/or some graphical effect sliders set to a lower value.

Price matters so, so much. Some countries are more price sensitive than others, this is absolutely a fair comment to make. Thinking about Jimmy's mom here, who just wants to get her son the newest "FIFA for a new generation" or the "Fortnite next gen update", going into a Walmart and seeing a $399 console allowing this as well as a $499 one standing next to each other (the prices are just exemplary), Jimmy's mom doesn't have many reasons to not pick the cheaper one here. Both play the same games.
I think it's ironic we are on a "hardcore-gaming" forum here but all we focus on right now is Lockhart. An optional console that is not even aimed towards "us". The actual news should be: if Lockhart on the one end exists, so does Anaconda on the other end. And this is where this situation gets interesting. It would mean MS sticked with their original plan on not only offering the lowest price console on the one end, but more importantly on the other end also the best-performing device going into next-gen. Lockhart allows Anaconda to do ... More. After all, both are just two more options to get into the Xbox / Game Pass ecosystem.

The last point I want to add something to is the "confusion for the customer" argument. I don't know where this is suddenly coming from, but it's yet another example of something that completely ignores the industry itself, other industries, PC gaming or even ... This console generation. We are not talking about MS offering 20 different kind of SKUs here. We are talking about 2. *Two*. Something console gaming customers are used to since the release of PS4 Pro already - and something customers in pretty much *every other tech area* are used to for many, many years already, with many more options that just two. There are Pro/Plus/S/Super/Light/Basic/Core versions everywhere. The tech industry has learned that you need to offer *options* to reach a broader pool of customers. And if the differentiation is as easy as it is supposed to be here - offering TWO options on both price/performance ends - I simply think talking about "confusion" here seems very much disconnected from reality. I'll totally admit one thing on this one though: Xbox *needs* to get the naming right. They shouldn't do any experiments here. Naming needs to be easy and on-point. No doubt about that.

If you followed my comments on this whole topic a bit in the past, you'll know that I'm a proponent for the Xbox two SKU strategy. Because the truth is: both Nintendo and Playstation have a much more dominant mind-share and more promiment brands than Xbox. That's simply part of the truth and that is totally fine. You just need to have a plan on how to deal with that. And going into next-gen with one device that only equals PS5 in both price and performance will not do much for your brand. It's as easy as that. You need to do things differently. And offering options left and right is something the Xbox brand is doing industry-leading moves in since Phil became the Head of Xbox. Xbox needs and wants to become a brand that stands for diversity and options in games, hardware and services.

Please keep in mind this post is built on the foundation that the Lockhart/Anaconda roadmap is happenig in 2020. I can't guarantee that - and I won't. But not doing it this way would be a wasted opportunity for Xbox, its community and more importantly its future.

this

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
when Someone says why should Lockhart not launch at the same time as andaconda I think it's pretty simple.

The console will more or less sell out for the first six months. Everyone they put on shelf's will be raced to by enthusiasts to be taken off that shelf. It's also better to sel to an enthusiast than a casual because they spend more money. Selling and making the more expensive one only will also result in more revenue.

That's the main reason why Lockhart shouldn't launch till at least February 2021.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
when Someone says why should Lockhart not launch at the same time as andaconda I think it's pretty simple.

The console will more or less sell out for the first six months. Everyone they put on shelf's will be raced to by enthusiasts to be taken off that shelf. It's also better to sel to an enthusiast than a casual because they spend more money. Selling and making the more expensive one only will also result in more revenue.

That's the main reason why Lockhart shouldn't launch till at least February 2021.
You can not introduce a weaker console later into a cycle. That won't work from a software delivery standpoint, because you can't force devs to update (down-scale) the already released games to work on Lockhart. Either you launch with it - or you won't do it at all.

Deleted member 12635

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

You may want to post this in the next gen thread. Because "lot of concerns" there ;)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

I literally spat my coffee out. This is Brilliant!

Out of nowhere, amazing. I wonder if the textures will hold up.

Klobrille my good man, this post absolutely nailed the point home. I for one am firmly for the 2 SKU strategy. It makes so much sense, in fact I can see them adopting the Lockhart chipset and scaling for next gen in their cloud DCs.

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Andaconda holiday 2020 499$
12tf gpu, 3.2ghz 8c/16th ryzen2, 24gb ram 1tb ssd
Lockhart holiday 2021 299$
4.5tf 2.9ghz 8c/16t ryzen 2, 16 gb ram, 1tb ssd no disc drive

This is how you would more or less do the whole 'same game just at 1080p instead of 4k' thing. 4K assists need the extra ram that's why it's 16gb vs 24.

A 100$ difference isn't enough to justify the console in my opinion. Problem is the BOM of both those devices will have 100-150 price difference not 200. That's part of the reason why I think they wait a year.

They also don't want to confuse customers. And the new console is going to sell really well at first anyway so waiting a year for Lockhart isn't a issue.

Honestly, a 4.5tf Navi based GPU would be able to do way more than just 1080p 60. You'd be able to get to 1440p. The 5700xt has 7.95 teraflops and can hit 4k 60 in games like Forza and destiny. Console GPUs generally can get better results than your basic consumer end GPU's. Then when you take into account upscaling you could see some pretty decent results even at 4k with the lesser system.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
You can not introduce a weaker console later into a cycle. That won't work from a software delivery standpoint, because you can't force devs to update (down-scale) the already released games to work on Lockhart. Either you launch with it - or you won't do it at all.

Just because it isn't on the market doesn't mean games won't support it. There is also a likeliness that lockhart will be what is sitting in xCloud.

It really doesn't make sense to complicate your supply chain during the release season when your high end model will fly off shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.