• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah. I can see them apply a 4x res increase on non-enhanced X1 games. It would be quite easier than the work they have done so far getting 360 games to run on X1. In this case, the underlying architecture is more or less the same and the power increase would make it a lot more straight forward. You are talking about a minimum of 8x increase in GPU and 4x in CPU. It should be more than doable and that's the easy part. I would also expect increased texture filtering.

I wonder what else they have in mind in addition to the above? maybe unlock framerate? Increased texture resolution? Exciting times ahead.
It depends if they're actually capable of increasing the resolution and how they're doing it. Because tricking the renderer to render the resolution at a higher multiple like they were doing with the Heutchy method was definitely not easy due to all the various engines and the different ways they were coded.

I highly doubt they'd be able to do anything to unlock framerate as it's hardcoded. Framerate being locked now as it reaches it's cap will likely be the best we get.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
It depends if they're actually capable of increasing the resolution and how they're doing it. Because tricking the renderer to render the resolution at a higher multiple like they were doing with the Heutchy method was definitely not easy due to all the various engines and the different ways they were coded.

I highly doubt they'd be able to do anything to unlock framerate as it's hardcoded. Framerate being locked now as it reaches it's cap will likely be the best we get.
Like I said, I believe it will be a lot more straight forward and easier to do going into the next-gen than it was going from 360 to the X1. More or less similar architecture, a lot more power to play with, the experience of 360 to X1 and X1X BC program will make this a lot easy.
Of course, as you say, it remains to be seen how this can be done given that not all engine and renderer work the same but I expect that it would be easier going this time around.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Has anyone done a poll on whether people who subscribe to game pass still buy games or just buy DLC or don't buy anything anymore? I keep seeing both sides in threads, but I'd like to see a breakdown, just to get a real picture of how game pass changed things so far.

Microsoft claims data shows gamers buy more games who subscribe to Game Pass. Don't feel a poll would give you an accurate picture here. Likely to get bombed by people who think it'll destroy the industry.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Like I said, I believe it will be a lot more straight forward and easier to do going into the next-gen than it was going from 360 to the X1. More or less similar architecture, a lot more power to play with, the experience of 360 to X1 and X1X BC program will make this a lot easy.
Of course, as you say, it remains to be seen how this can be done given that not all engine and renderer work the same but I expect that it would be easier going this time around.
The major thing that probably makes it easier is all the knowledge they've accrued after years of doing BC and enhancement work on Xbox One and applying it to a next gen system, as you noted, that's a similar architecture with more power.

I'm so excited at the possibilities.

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
The major thing that probably makes it easier is all the knowledge they've accrued after years of doing BC and enhancement work on Xbox One and applying it to a next gen system, as you noted, that's a similar architecture with more power.

I'm so excited at the possibilities.
Me too. Its been amazing seeing what a resolution increase can do to 360 games on the X1X. Currently playing NG2 and its been fantastic just to look at. If they are able to do this for X1 games that didn't receive X enhancement then there are a lot of games I would go back too. I literally can't play non X enhanced games because of how blurry they tend to look on a 4k TV.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. Its been amazing seeing what a resolution increase can do to 360 games on the X1X. Currently playing NG2 and its been fantastic just to look at. If they are able to do this for X1 games that didn't receive X enhancement then there are a lot of games I would go back too. I literally can't play non X enhanced games because of how blurry they tend to look on a 4k TV.
Yep. Totally agree. Also if they can address all the BC X360 games that didn't receive X enhancements then there are a lot of games I would go back too, especially if we don't get remasters for Mass Effect trilogy, Dead Space Trilogy,

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
At the next big Xbox reveal/console event they need to open with an orchestra playing the Halo theme. Then down the walkway through the center of the auditorium comes Master Chief holding the Xbox Series X. Once on stage he takes off the helmet and it's revealed to be The Rock. The crowd goes wild. Bill Gates then runs over from stage right and the crowd gets even more crazy. Together Bill and the Rock talk about the Xbox Series X and how it will change everything TM. Afterwards Phil comes out and gives a rundown.
Close, but it's got to be this:

At the next big Xbox reveal/console event they need to open with an orchestra playing the Halo theme. Then down the walkway through the center of the auditorium comes Master Chief holding the Xbox Series X. Once on stage he takes off the helmet and it's revealed to be The Rock. The crowd goes wild. The Rock then takes the case off the Series X - it's Bill Gates in there! The crowd goes even more wild. Bill and the Rock reveal that Bill will be replacing Jason Statham in the next Hobbs and Shaw movie, and instead of cars, they'll be driving Series Xs. Then suddenly, a car smashes through the rear wall - it's Vin Diesel! He and the Rock get into a legit fist fight, Vin smashes the Rock with the only Series X! Phil emerges from offstage and tries to pick the pieces up, but it's too late. The Series X is broken and Microsoft stock tanks. Microsoft goes broke. Bill, suddenly penniless, goes beserk. He picks up the Rock and throws him at Vin. The two former enemies have to team up to subdue the now former-Billionaire. Bloodied and broken, the Rock and Vin burst into tears reveal they have always loved each other and regret the division that has come between them.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Microsoft claims data shows gamers buy more games who subscribe to Game Pass. Don't feel a poll would give you an accurate picture here. Likely to get bombed by people who think it'll destroy the industry.

Oh I know there'd be lots of doom and gloom in a thread like that, I'd just like to see what people, even if it's just people on here, actually do. Me I definitely buy fewer games, but I play more, I buy more full price when I do buy them, and I buy more DLC and extra stuff for games I'm playing, but I don't want to speak for everyone in those situations.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I agree about the community tab. I uploaded some screens from my playthoughr of Plague Tale and ot took me a minute to figure out where they went. They were kinda buried so I wonder if any of my friends even saw them.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I have to say, just seeing how active the BC thread has been just makes me realize how much of an asset the backwards compatibility with older generations is on Xbox Series X, especially if the PS5 only has PS4 BC that runs games like the pro did (ie exactly the same as on real hardware). Being able to play so many older games in better quality than before is so exciting to me, especially since I know that the first year of a console is usually pretty slow when it comes to new games.

Backwards compatibility and Xbox's crazy upcoming first party lineup honestly has me really excited for the future of Xbox and gaming as a whole, and glad that I grew up to prefer Xbox over Playstation

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
What if the Forza game at launch isn't a Forza at all... what if it's a new Project Gotham Racing game.
Imagine drifting across the wet cobblestones of Edinburgh at night on a Series X in 4K/60!

Oct 27, 2017
What if the Forza game at launch isn't a Forza at all... what if it's a new Project Gotham Racing game.
Imagine drifting across the wet cobblestones of Edinburgh at night on a Series X in 4K/60!

I think you guys need to give that dream up. It probably isn't ever happening. Forza is an established big brand. It's probably the biggest racing brand in games next to mario kart. You don't not utilize it in favor of a dormant IP

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Close, but it's got to be this:

At the next big Xbox reveal/console event they need to open with an orchestra playing the Halo theme. Then down the walkway through the center of the auditorium comes Master Chief holding the Xbox Series X. Once on stage he takes off the helmet and it's revealed to be The Rock. The crowd goes wild. The Rock then takes the case off the Series X - it's Bill Gates in there! The crowd goes even more wild. Bill and the Rock reveal that Bill will be replacing Jason Statham in the next Hobbs and Shaw movie, and instead of cars, they'll be driving Series Xs. Then suddenly, a car smashes through the rear wall - it's Vin Diesel! He and the Rock get into a legit fist fight, Vin smashes the Rock with the only Series X! Phil emerges from offstage and tries to pick the pieces up, but it's too late. The Series X is broken and Microsoft stock tanks. Microsoft goes broke. Bill, suddenly penniless, goes beserk. He picks up the Rock and throws him at Vin. The two former enemies have to team up to subdue the now former-Billionaire. Bloodied and broken, the Rock and Vin burst into tears reveal they have always loved each other and regret the division that has come between them.
Sorry I think you confused the reveal with my fantasy.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
So I've been thinking, we know that Xbox is targeting Asian developers to acquire, and for the most part we have been focusing on Japanese studios. That may be because we have a lack of knowledge about places like South Korea and China both have some talented studios as well, and maybe we just havent got to try them yet.

South Korea has games like

Crossfire X
Kart Rider Drift
Black Desert Online
Aion
Maple Story
PUBG

China I know even less about but 1 game sticks out to me which is

Gujian3 (Go check it out if you dont know what it is)

Really though, im curious as to everybody's thoughts in here. Is there any South Korean or Chinese developer that stands out to you that Xbox could target?

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

Kinda. It has skill trees, random encounters, sidequests, etc, but it's a bit more action-y than a typical RPG.

As Brian Damage noted, it's reminiscent of a side-scrolling beat em up, but in 3D, during combat - I tend to think of the series as the natural evolution of streets of rage, in a way, but with a load of RPG trappings, and a story that wouldn't be out of place in a Japanese crime serial (though with some completely off the wall, insane side stories).

Try it, you might love it!

I watched Giantbomb play through it, so I kinda feel like I have experienced it already. I like most people have a enormous backlog that I'm feebly trying to make my way through in the meantime. It really does feel like trying to dig through a mountain with a spoon.

That's fair, and I totally get the backlog complaint - I have about six games on the go at the moment and can barely find the time for one /o\

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Has anyone done a poll on whether people who subscribe to game pass still buy games or just buy DLC or don't buy anything anymore? I keep seeing both sides in threads, but I'd like to see a breakdown, just to get a real picture of how game pass changed things so far.

If I enjoy a game that's on GamePass, I usually buy it and it's DL
So I've been thinking, we know that Xbox is targeting Asian developers to acquire, and for the most part we have been focusing on Japanese studios. That may be because we have a lack of knowledge about places like South Korea and China both have some talented studios as well, and maybe we just havent got to try them yet.

Crossfire X
Kart Rider Drift
Black Desert Online
Aion
Maple Story
PUBG

Really though, im curious as to everybody's thoughts in here. Is there any South Korean or Chinese developer that stands out to you that Xbox could target?

Honestly, no. All the South Korean games that I've played follows the same trend: Online with heavy emphasis on monetization. Almost all of them are MMO or follows the rules of MMOs, and even though I like this genre, MS doesn't need any first party creating one (bar Undead Labs doing SoD).

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

Crossfire X
Kart Rider Drift
Black Desert Online
Aion
Maple Story
PUBG

I've already posted about Project EVE here a bunch of pages back...and someone mentioned the devs (Shift Up) previously did an Xbox exclusive.

That game look pretty interesting from that teaser trailer. I would love it to get some E3 spotlight.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I've already posted about Project EVE here a bunch of pages back...and someone mentioned the devs (Shift Up) previously did an Xbox exclusive.

That game look pretty interesting from that teaser trailer. I would love it to get some E3 spotlight.
Project EVE looks good. First time Ive heard of that one. Loved Nier Automata.

Here are three China games as well that looks interesting

Lost Soul Aside

AL-LIMIT

Gujian3

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Yeah, there's a lot of cool stuff coming out of China (a bunch of those games are on Steam-not all have English localizations) God Slayer is another one that looks really impressive, but doesn't have English localization-at least not yet.

store.steampowered.com

九霄缳神记 JIU XIAO on Steam

《九霄缳神记》是一款东方幻想题材的动作冒险游戏,以爽快的即时战斗为主体,融合了众多冒险元素及解谜设计。在这世界中,意外卷入上古阴谋的“你”,踏上了与命运抗争的历程。

I tried finding a youtube trailer, but it kept showing me some similar-sounding MMO. So here's the steam page with a trailer instead).

Sony has been highlighting these games for a few years now. Lost Soul Aside started life as a solo project in Unreal, but now it's got Sony's backing and we don't hear anything about the (initially announced) PC version anymore.

AI-Limit was originally showcased in last year's China Hero Project/China Joy conference, along with a bunch of other interesting-looking games.

Microsoft needs to do similar outreach programs to Chinese devs, I think.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Sony has been highlighting these games for a few years now. Lost Soul Aside started life as a solo project in Unreal, but now it's got Sony's backing and we don't hear anything about the (initially announced) PC version anymore.

AI-Limit was originally showcased in last year's China Hero Project/China Joy conference, along with a bunch of other interesting-looking games.

They did once upon a time, well, sort of. They didn't have a dedicated named program, but there was an effort to focus on Chinese indie devs as part of ID@Xbox once, a handful of games came out of it, Candleman is the only one that comes right to mind. I don't know what happened after that, I guess it wasn't hugely successful and they just kind of stopped doing it. I don't know if ID@Xbox is still bringing in Chinese games at all or if they just stopped talking about it as a thing.

Agreed though would love to see some of these games get English localizations, that Godslayer game looks incredible, I want that.

EDIT: Also from what I remember Lost Soul Aside was confirmed as a timed playstation exclusive by the developer, but I could be wrong.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I mean it has a skill tree where you boost your stats and learn new moves, as well as side quests and a (fairly barebones) equipment system. I get it's maybe like a more in depth side-scrolling beat-em-up but in 3D.

If you've got Gamepass I suppose you could give it a go with no (extra) expense.

yeah thanks, will do.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
They do, or at least they did. Not many know it, but E-Home Development Entertainemt is basically Microsoft China: http://www.ehedco.com/?_l=en

E-Home entertainment Development Company Ltd. is a joint venture between Microsoft Corporation and Oriental
Pearl Group, and the first registered company in the Shanghai Free Trade Zone. E-Home publishes local and
global high-quality games to the Xbox One platform in China, as well as publishing highly entertaining games globally. Currently, E-Home is the largest publisher on the Chinese Xbox One platform.​

They publish MS first party games in China, but also several chinese Xbox One games in the west: http://www.ehedco.com/Globalpublishingproducts?_l=en

2QHs9Ly.jpg

They aren't publishing newer games at the moment, but the company is still alive and maybe they're just waiting for next-gen.

Last edited:

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Microsoft pulls out of GDC, but they'll have an online event.

developer.microsoft.com

GDC and the wellbeing of our teams & community

Today, we’ve made a difficult decision to withdraw from participating at Game Developers Conference

After a close review of guidance by global health authorities and out of an abundance of caution, we've made the difficult decision to withdraw from participating at Game Developers Conference 2020 in San Francisco. The health and safety of players, developers, employees, and our partners around the world is our top priority. Especially as the world is experiencing growing public health risks associated with coronavirus (COVID-19).

In light of this, we plan to move our presence to a digital-only event March 16-18th held on www.microsoft.com/gamestack. This event will feature the majority of our planned game developer sessions and experiences, which will be streamed live and available on demand.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Get a behind-the-scenes look into design and development decisions made by the creators of Minecraft and Gears of War, and hear from Xbox Game Studios teams Double Fine, inXile, Compulsion, Rare, Obsidian, and Undead Labs
This is cool!

developer.microsoft.com

GDC and the wellbeing of our teams & community

Today, we’ve made a difficult decision to withdraw from participating at Game Developers Conference

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020

I don't know about PGR, but I would love to see Turn 10 or Playground let loose on a full-on arcade racer with weapons and boost pads and all that kind of good stuff. Probably not at launch, though.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Kinda. It has skill trees, random encounters, sidequests, etc, but it's a bit more action-y than a typical RPG.

As Brian Damage noted, it's reminiscent of a side-scrolling beat em up, but in 3D, during combat - I tend to think of the series as the natural evolution of streets of rage, in a way, but with a load of RPG trappings, and a story that wouldn't be out of place in a Japanese crime serial (though with some completely off the wall, insane side stories).

Try it, you might love it!

That's fair, and I totally get the backlog complaint - I have about six games on the go at the moment and can barely find the time for one /o\

cool thanks.

LevCortez

Jan 12, 2020
definitly, even i thought it would still happening because if i remember correctly you could only attend when you where not in asia in the last 2 weeks and bring a health certificate, but with that many international attendees it makes sense to cancel!
I just went to a convention in germany today and also tomorrow, but beside hand sanitizer sation it was same as last year. I saw some people here buying for weeks to come, just hope the caution stays reasonable.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Hey.

I´m mostly a Nintendo gamer but I´m just passing by to say that I really hope Microsoft has some great new exclusive games ready (or in development) for the next system. They deserve to be succesful and have many many players. Phil´s efforts are many and the desire of making a great videogame system is clear. Xbox Series X is looking like an amazing system from a technical point of view (I think Microsoft is really good at it), so we hope games follow. Competition is always good for us all.

Cheers fellow players!

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Hey.

I´m mostly a Nintendo gamer but I´m just passing by to say that I really hope Microsoft has some great new exclusive games ready (or in development) for the next system. They deserve to be succesful and have many many players. Phil´s efforts are many and the desire of making a great videogame system is clear. Xbox Series X is looking like an amazing system from a technical point of view (I think Microsoft is really good at it), so we hope games follow. Competition is always good for us all.

Cheers fellow players!

<3

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Hey.

Cheers fellow players!
Hey man, fellow Nintendo gamer who joined Team Green in the recent past. Thanks! They seem to have a number of aces up their sleeve at MS. Can't wait to see what Nintendo brings this year too.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Microsoft should drop something new every Monday till E3

I wish
Whilst it won't be every Monday or even at a consistent interval, you can be assured MS marketing already has something like this planned. I'd be absolutely shocked if they weren't already running analytics, organising and dividing their big announcements and info-dumps, and generating a calendar as to when they can show for maximal impact. They're going to want to be in the industry headlines weekly if possible, or as close to as feasible.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
Hey.

Cheers fellow players!

A good, reasonable post.

Status
Not open for further replies.