• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't it actually other way around. It is much more easier to develop game for weaker system and then just upscale it. That is already happening with current gen consoles. Base is always the weakest and then you just upscale it.

Can you explain what you mean by "just upscale it"? Cause if you mean just up the resolution that's not really what happens with modern games. I mean, sure you COULD do that but I doubt that will be the norm. You start with higher end assets, more effects, better lighting, better shadows etc and then downgrade all that stuff to work on the lower end systems. Have you ever looked at the settings for a modern PC game? That's the stuff we're talking about.

There's a big difference between downgrading something between to machines that use the same basic architecture but different hardware power and something like porting between PS4 and PS3 which use completely different architecture so a lot of code needs to be re-written. Modern engines scale well since most are designed to work on PC so starting with the highest spec and scaling back isn't really a big deal and by all accounts Lockhart and Anaconda seem to be very similar with just a weaker GPU in Lockhart. I would think the goal would be that games would run at 4k/60ps on Anaconda and with keeping most stuff the same just run at 1080p/30fps on Lockhart.

Any game company that will be able to make AAA graphical showcases will have no trouble working with 2 machines of different power levels and still having a state of the art presentation on the highest end machines. Look at RDR2 which looks best on XB1X and is one of the best looking games of the generation and also runs on the Xbox One S and it's not like smaller devs would all be making games that look like The Last of Us 2 if only Anaconda didn't exist. It's silly.

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft Dungeons and Psychonauts 2 :) They might print it on Wasteland 3 as well, but the former two are "complete" XGS projects.

Wasteland 3 is Deep Silver, though, right?

But yeah, Psychonauts 2 will definitely have it.

You need more evidence than Phil and Matt??? You'd think thatd be enough.

Just like Matt being present in X019 meant an acquisition?

I don't doubt those words going forward, but TGA will barely be a month in after X019, that's why i found it hard to think that we would have another new game reveal.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
r4gif.gif

Where's the sequel dammit.

IP has so much damned potential. It released unfinished, bloated with some janky animations. In it's current state, only needs an editor to trim fat and more production value. Should have been a tight 15 hour experience. But....core gameplay loop is really well done. Industry isn't good at seeing through the jank unfortunately. Both media and consumers would rather try to give a shallow stylish game another chance than the other way around. So I'd say pour one out for Recore.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel the opposite. I think the expansions for We Happy Few showed that their way will be going towards strong narrative experiences with a focus on story. In general, I think the expansions are much more positively received compared to the "freestyle" main game.

Agreed. They need to focus on tighter narrative experiences in future games.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
IP has so much damned potential. It released unfinished, bloated with some janky animations. In it's current state, only needs an editor to trim fat and more production value. Should have been a tight 15 hour experience. But....core gameplay loop is really well done. Industry isn't good at seeing through the jank unfortunately. Both media and consumers would rather try to give a shallow stylish game another chance than the other way around. So I'd say pour one out for Recore.
It has a certain amount of charm that xbox needs. I really hope it makes a comeback it deserves better than it got. If memory serves Phil champions it still.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
For me if Compulsion semi failed in "freestyle games" it's because
they did not have a Quest / narrative designer.

With MS now they can afford a good group of quest / narrative designers to make diverse and more engaging quests

I find the spirit of irrational games / Valve in Compulsion games, must innovate in the genre Action / Adventure, I would be disappointed if it is an uncharted like.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean they did fix the boost with the def edition and even before that it took me about 9 hours to get to the tower in the OG version. Then of course the core requirements came in

I didn't get stuck on the animations as much as other people.i just think that it needed to be

1. Visually prettier
2. Fix those horrendous load times
3. Fix the endgame

still it's one of my favorite games I've played this gen. But then again I also liked crackdown 3

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I mean they did fix the boost with the def edition and even before that it took me about 9 hours to get to the tower in the OG version. Then of course the core requirements came in

I didn't get stuck on the animations as much as other people.i just think that it needed to be

1. Visually prettier
3. Fix the endgame

still it's one of my favorite games I've played this gen. But then again I also liked crackdown 3

It's a gamers game. One that prioritizes fun over glamour. Yeah the load times are certainly a drag. Killing off load times would make a lot of lower budget games seem less janky.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019

1. Visually prettier
3. Fix the endgame

Dream sequel/re-make:

1) Sort load-times
2) Polish very highly
3) Better paced main path through game
4) Some alternative biomes beyond desert+rock and industrial
5) more sweet dungeon goodness

So much potential in there. Still one of my favourite games, absolutely seriously.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I loved Recore but past the middle the dungeons turned really crummy. The finale was so awful I actively exploited my way out of the challenges, beat the game, and then watched as the game crashed while the credits played.

On the bright side the expansion is so much better.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I wonder how people would have felt about ReCore if the T8NK was in from the beginning. Still hopeful Phil and Matt see the potential in it.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I loved Recore but past the middle the dungeons turned really crummy. The finale was so awful I actively exploited my way out of the challenges, beat the game, and then watched as the game crashed while the credits played.

On the bright side the expansion is so much better.

I adored the Tower's platforming and combat, minus some camera issues and the pacing (which I didn't find too bad, because I always play games by exploring nooks and corners, therefore it wasn't a shock to me to find a high Core requirement, albeit it was clearly poor design overall).

Bugs aside also!

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
I adored the Tower's platforming and combat, minus some camera issues and the pacing (which I didn't find too bad, because I always play games by exploring nooks and corners, therefore it wasn't a shock to me to find a high Core requirement, albeit it was clearly poor design overall).

Bugs aside also!
I adored the platforming aspects as well! But the arena fights within the Tower were really annoying and seemed padded out in the worst way possible. I actually had more fun jumping outside of the fights and platforming to the next lol

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
I liked what I played of ReCore (maybe 12 hours) but didn't feel compelled to beat it. Completely agree though that it needs a sequel with polish and diversity. And maybe a weapon system a little more like Metroid Prime where it's not just about enemy weakness but also other effects (freezing, burn, shoot through walls etc).

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I don't see a new Recore happening. Joe Staten is probably going to work on a new IP (currently involved with the creative direction for Tell me Why) and most other people at Comcept/Armature/XGS Publishing have moved on. Finding a team that would want to work on a critically slammed IP would certainly be hard, especially if you want it to be done "big budget".

I'd love to see it happen but I moved on from waiting for a sequel. Kind of the issue with working with 3rd party devs and I'm glad MS is shifting priorities.

I'm really excited about what Double-Fine can create now that they're part of XGS. Psychonauts 2 could have some really neat platforming mechanics mixed with some of that TPS action gameplay.

Last edited:

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
In case you were curious, Armature Studio currently serves as a support studio for Fortnite. Specifically providing content updates for the Save the World mode.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I liked what I played of ReCore (maybe 12 hours) but didn't feel compelled to beat it. Completely agree though that it needs a sequel with polish and diversity. And maybe a weapon system a little more like Metroid Prime where it's not just about enemy weakness but also other effects (freezing, burn, shoot through walls etc).

Funnily enough the weapon colours did have effects: fire, shock and whatever the yellow one was. There's actually a fair bit of depth in the combat - well, enough to make it really fun for me, and still be arcadey.

However the weapon effects were always dominated by colour more than anything else.
I think it's called assembly

Also, if we ever get a sequel for reCore, asobo should be the main developers

That was a combat one iirc. No puzzling, just battling!

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
In exactly six months from today, MS E3 2020 press conference will have just happened. Wonder what we'll be talking about at this exact moment in six months time.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
In exactly six months from today, MS E3 2020 press conference will have just happened. Wonder what we'll be talking about at this exact moment in six months time.

My bet.

Game Pass will be a very hot topic, coupled with the new hardware. Hopefully a slew of new announcements too, lots of them.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I know it's the end of the gen more or less, but I do hope the Japanese ports continue. Still missing Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and anything by Level 5, Atlus or Falcom. If nothing else it shows they're still committed and it gives the picture that parity on Scarlett will be better.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
2020 so far looks pretty good for Xbox Games Studios. Here are some gifs I made while waiting for Forza Horizon 4 to install. Who knows what TGA or an event in between now and E3 might add to the list ;)

L9M5osm.gif

jEALjky.gif

nsNPoHU.gif

NSSi7xD.gif

M9whC7b.gif

twujBTy.gif

1p3SUfc.gif

AboVEkA.gif

SHwMqqK.gif

uHTsmxC.gif

kTEYddE.gif

(and while it's a bit cheating since XGS is simply publishing the port, I will still add this CrossfireX gif)

5fo6IpA.gif

Nov 23, 2018
2020 so far looks pretty good for Xbox Games Studios. Here are some gifs I made while waiting for Forza Horizon 4 to install. Who knows what TGA or an event in between now and E3 might add to the list ;)

L9M5osm.gif

jEALjky.gif

nsNPoHU.gif

NSSi7xD.gif

M9whC7b.gif

twujBTy.gif

1p3SUfc.gif

AboVEkA.gif

SHwMqqK.gif

uHTsmxC.gif

kTEYddE.gif

(and while it's a bit cheating since XGS is simply publishing the port, I will still add this CrossfireX gif)

5fo6IpA.gif
As always, great job - love the gifs!

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta feeeeling
Marketing blitz in 2020 gonna bw

L9M5osm.gif

jEALjky.gif

nsNPoHU.gif

NSSi7xD.gif

M9whC7b.gif

twujBTy.gif

1p3SUfc.gif

AboVEkA.gif

SHwMqqK.gif

uHTsmxC.gif

kTEYddE.gif

5fo6IpA.gif
bro, so much halo gears and forza, no diversity at Xbux!
/s

Oct 28, 2017
I know it's the end of the gen more or less, but I do hope the Japanese ports continue. Still missing Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, and anything by Level 5, Atlus or Falcom. If nothing else it shows they're still committed and it gives the picture that parity on Scarlett will be better.

I'm happy to see the old Kingdom Hearts games making it over.

Always weird when games like DQ11 and DQ Builders 2 make it to Steam but not Xbox.

Do Japanese games not sell well on the platform or something? I'd always assumed PS4 and Xbone shared a similar demographic

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I expected Persona to make it over to Xbox. May happen next year.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I'm happy to see the old Kingdom Hearts games making it over.

Always weird when games like DQ11 and DQ Builders 2 make it to Steam but not Xbox.

Do Japanese games not sell well on the platform or something? I'd always assumed PS4 and Xbone shared a similar demographic

They tend not to do as well on Xbox partially because they sell best in Japan, and the Xbox has basically no market share in Japan this generation. And then it's a self fulfilling prophecy where a lot of people who buy a lot of Japanese games buy PS4 instead of Xbox, because that's where the Japanese games are, and so the demographic shifts that way.

I don't think it's as much that "Xbox players don't like Japanese games" as it is "Japanese games players aren't on Xbox", at least thats the perception of the people who are deciding whether or not to port. So more ports helps prove that wrong, which is what I prefer, I have an old OG PS4 just for exclusives, but I always prefer using my Xbox, and a lot of times if it's a game I think might get ported some day, I just miss it completely waiting for it.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

L9M5osm.gif

jEALjky.gif

nsNPoHU.gif

NSSi7xD.gif

M9whC7b.gif

twujBTy.gif

1p3SUfc.gif

AboVEkA.gif

SHwMqqK.gif

uHTsmxC.gif

kTEYddE.gif

5fo6IpA.gif
Not Xbox exclusive or XGS, but Cuphead DLC is one of my most anticipated as well.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a random question, can you lower the Achievement sound on X? Everything else is at at good volume through my headset and then that blows my eardrums up, surprise achievements are basically jump scares.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Not first party related, but I'm playing through Fallen Order rn and these framerate drops are just 🤢

I need Anaconda right now
You don't need Anaconda for that. You just need better code optimization. The game does nothing so intensive to justify these drops on X. However if you enable Performance Mode it gets better.

L9M5osm.gif

jEALjky.gif

nsNPoHU.gif

NSSi7xD.gif

M9whC7b.gif

twujBTy.gif

1p3SUfc.gif

AboVEkA.gif

SHwMqqK.gif

uHTsmxC.gif

kTEYddE.gif

5fo6IpA.gif
That's incredible diversity, and it's just the beginning. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.