• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance

Game changer.

MS found a genius way for game assets streaming to not only bet on fast SSD but genius a software / hardware combination.

100Gb of Game assets instantly.

I'm sure in Open world games XSX will have advantages.

Sony bet on ultra fast SSD for game assst streaming
MS create a new innovative architecture Hardware/Software with Velocity architecture.

Also XSX has 10GB of ram with 560Gb/s for visual,textures etc... this is massive ! And 3,5GB with 336Gb/s for secondary things.

That why AMD said XSX will have technical innovation leadership.

If microsoft would bet on raw power he would never have said that

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Wait, FH5 is a launch title? I'd assume that Motorsports would be and FH the next year. Has this been known?

No, I'm just speculating.

We know that the next Forza Motorsport has only recently entered full production. Meanwhile, Horizon titles are known to be released every 2 years, and the last one was released on 2018.

Damn, just now I realized that Playground Games are GOATs. It only takes them 2 years to develop the GOAT arcade racing game. :O

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

We know that the next Forza Motorsport has only recently entered full production. Meanwhile, Horizon titles are known to be released every 2 years, and the last one was released on 2018.

Damn, just now I realized that Playground Games are GOATs. It only takes them 2 years to develop the GOAT arcade racing game. :O

Ah, make sense. I just assumed Forza: MS would be the shiny new graphics showcase, like last gen.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I want Playground to take an extra year or two with Forza Horizon 5. As great as FH4 was/is, it was also basically just an iteration on the formula in FH3, and I don't think the critical reception will be as kind if they go to that well for a third time.

I want Microsoft to let them take their time, and really bring the Horizon caRPG into the "next generation" somehow.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I want Playground to take an extra year or two with Forza Horizon 5. As great as FH4 was/is, it was also basically just an iteration on the formula in FH3, and I don't think the critical reception will be as kind if they go to that well for a third time.

Funny since that's what many in here said shortly before the release of FH4...

I don't think FH5 would get less critical acclaim because it's another iteration in the FH series. Depending on its setting, it can outshine the past games by changing up the level design or by being the ultimate open-world racing package.

That being said, I don't think we'll see a new FH game this year but I'd certainly be hyped for it. Someone in here brought the possibility of a third DLC expansion which does seem pretty plausible.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
From AMD :

• New gaming experiences with seamless content paging from the SSD to the GPU based on the revolutionary Xbox Velocity Architecture

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017

FM was also known for 2 year cycles before FM8.

I'm hoping FM8 is this year so that FH5 gets a three year cycle as well.

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Tech specs are great and all, and I'm happy that we're back to having consoles that are truly powerful after the "meh" specs we got with launch PS4 and launch Xbox One.

But what really matters is features, games, and where your friends play.

I'm really impressed with the work the Xbox team has done to make the Xbox brand a success. They are forward thinking and it goes beyond the hardware in the box. The feature set already revealed for the XSX is crazy good, and I'm excited to see what else is yet to be revealed.

Then you add on top the attention to detail like a controller that will be accessible to more people. MS gives a shit about people with disabilities, and that means a lot to me. The fact that the Xbox adaptive controller will continue to work with XSX is huge.

Gamepass is bringing more games to more people. Many households can't afford to buy $60 new games that often, but can afford a $15 subscription. Instead of parents deciding that either Kid A or Kid B gets the $60 game they want and the other gets nothing, they can pay $15/month and have a huge library of relatively new games for the kids to choose from.

MS has spent many years making sure people get to keep using their existing game libraries, which is how it should be. They seem to have learned to appreciate that people chose to spend their hard earned money on MS products and it's in MS's best interest to keep them happy.

My point is accessibility is a cornerstone to the Xbox strategy and I see it and appreciate it.

I think if MS gets aggressive with their marketing they will do very well next gen.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Any speculation which location FH is headed this time around? Japan?

I do remember some of the FM-games hinting at what could be the FH setting (similarly to the Australia-themed cars in FM6 and the British cars in FM7).
They know that there is a demand for a setting like this in a racing game but I don't really see it happening either. Something like Rio de Janeiro or Dubai would make me equally hyped and still fits into the whole idea behind Horizon festivals. Setting the game in Japan would allow some really cool car culture throwbacks.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

That would be my dream.

Just imagine, drifting through Tokyo or Osaka, Deja Vu (Initial D) on the radio, with a lot of Sakura (Cherry Blossom) leaves on the screen...

Oh my oh my

I do remember some of the FM-games hinting at what could be the FH setting (similarly to the Australia-themed cars in FM6 and the British cars in FM7).
They know that there is a demand for a setting like this in a racing game but I don't really see it happening either. Something like Rio de Janeiro or Dubai would make me equally hyped and still fits into the whole idea behind Horizon festivals. Setting the game in Japan would allow some really cool car culture throwbacks.

The problem with Rio de Janeiro would be the severely lack of natural diversity and Seasons. FH3 and FH4 were outstanding in this department.

Aug 23, 2018

who is this guy? I read through some of the comments but I see no reason why his assumptions should be taken more seriously than anything else we've seen on

It could be he simply didn't know. Not everyone follows every presentation or aware of it, and it's his interpenetration of it.

But, I agree. I really don't trust any of this back and forth from twitter and whomever else. Proof will come in time or about 4-5 months away.

Yea, people need to chill. A combination of bad messaging from Sony on the PS5, specs coming in below a lot of fans over inflated expectations, and most of the world being on self imposed or government lockdown likely have people going a little crazy right now.

Jason's tweets and comments here are especially weird, though. I've seen him say he's "not into warz" a lot the past few days, followed up with how "frustrated" he is with how Sony released an actual spec sheet that doesn't look good side by side with the competitors because TF don't really matter as much in this case? huh? Hopefully he tones this rhetoric down because right now he sounds nothing like an well respected objective journalist and more like other ERA users trying to damage control information with what anonymous sources have told him about the PS5. We won't know until we have these consoles and games in our hands. And he'll look especially silly if these cooling issues are in fact true.

www.linkedin.com

LinkedIn Login, Sign in | LinkedIn

Login to LinkedIn to keep in touch with people you know, share ideas, and build your career.

Former character artist at R* join Inxile as Senior character artist work on RDR2,GTAV,RDR,Max Payne etc...

I can't wait for this reveal. I think their next project is going to surprise a lot of people who don't follow Xbox as closely as this group.

Yes, very. Happy to see that with a MP only title. Does progress carry over from the betas?

InfinityDOK

Dec 3, 2018
Bleeding Edge ship cosmetics can be earned from March 30th on Sea of Thieves.

At this point they've had ship cosmetics on:
- Halo
- Gears
- Ori
- Viva Pinata
- Kameo
- Killer Instinct
- Banjo Kazooie
- Conker

and now Bleeding Edge. What's next? Psychonauts, Wasteland or Minecraft? :P
Is there a link on how to get these. The bleeding edge I know its too late for the other stuff besides ori.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Sampler Feedback Streaming (SFS) – A component of the Xbox Velocity Architecture, SFS is a feature of the Xbox Series X hardware that allows games to load into memory, with fine granularity, only the portions of textures that the GPU needs for a scene, as it needs it. This enables far better memory utilization for textures, which is important given that every 4K texture consumes 8MB of memory. Because it avoids the wastage of loading into memory the portions of textures that are never needed, it is an effective 2x or 3x (or higher) multiplier on both amount of physical memory and SSD performance

Game changer.

MS found a genius way for game assets streaming to not only bet on fast SSD but genius a software / hardware combination.

MS create a new innovative architecture Hardware/Software with Velocity architecture.

Also XSX has 10GB of ram with 560Gb/s for visual,textures etc... this is massive ! And 3,5GB with 336Gb/s for secondary things.

Once MS releases the details for this def going to make a thread amazing stuff :)

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

- Halo
- Gears
- Ori
- Viva Pinata
- Kameo
- Killer Instinct
- Banjo Kazooie
- Conker

Of those, I got the Gears, Halo, Ori, Kameo, Banjo & Kazooie.

Unfortunately, Conker and KI were behind a paywall... So... Yeah...

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

My money would be on Japan. A lot of people were really hoping for it last time, and Playground themselves let it be known that they were aware of it.

The only question would be the time and manpower to try and model that kind of dense urban environment, and then also having to model outside the city, since the Horizon games do love their off-road and rally events.

I remember Ralph Fulton saying that London wasn't in FH4, because the work to put London in a game with proper fidelity would basically be it's own game.

I'm sure next-gen can handle rendering somewhere like Tokyo in high-fidelity, but ultimately people still have to create all of that stuff.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting many of the XSX/PS5 games will be delayed sadly. No way they all come out on time with Corona taking over the world.

Betamaxbandit

Jan 30, 2018
That would be my dream.

Just imagine, drifting through Tokyo or Osaka, Deja Vu (Initial D) on the radio, with a lot of Sakura (Cherry Blossom) leaves on the screen...

Oh my oh my

I think this would be a dream setting. Added to the possibility of them actually being able to a large cityscape this time around with the advantages the new hardware brings and it would sell like hotcakes I think.

The dream of driving through dense neon lit streets to open countryside would be tremendous!

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
My money would be on Japan. A lot of people were really hoping for it last time, and Playground themselves let it be known that they were aware of it.

The only question would be the time and manpower to try and model that kind of dense urban environment, and then also having to model outside the city, since the Horizon games do love their off-road and rally events.

I remember Ralph Fulton saying that London wasn't in FH4, because the work to put London in a game with proper fidelity would basically be it's own game.

I'm sure next-gen can handle rendering somewhere like Tokyo in high-fidelity, but ultimately people still have to create all of that stuff.

You know, you made me think now:

The expansion 3 could be a London Edition, released as launch title for SX.

And also, what if they use the same tech used by Asobo to build most of Tokyo, and then just keep adding the same level of detail they always bring to the Horizon series. It could help the developers a lot without taking away what makes Horizon so great.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Bleeding Edge's achievement list is up as well!

www.trueachievements.com

Bleeding Edge Achievements

Full list of all 10 Bleeding Edge achievements worth 1,000 gamerscore. It takes around 8-10 hours to unlock all of the achievements on Xbox One.
These don't seem like they would take that long to get. The list is short and simplistic but I'm glad they didn't do ton of character exclusive ones because I know I'm going to stick to the easier to use ones.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
We know if PS5 use Machine Learning solution ?

DirectML – Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games with DirectML, a component of DirectX. DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console, benefiting from over 24 TFLOPS of 16-bit float performance and over 97 TOPS (trillion operations per second) of 4-bit integer performance on Xbox Series X. Machine Learning can improve a wide range of areas, such as making NPCs much smarter, providing vastly more lifelike animation, and greatly improving visual quality

This and RT combined will be amazing.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
That being said, I don't think we'll see a new FH game this year but I'd certainly be hyped for it. Someone in here brought the possibility of a third DLC expansion which does seem pretty plausible.

I believe that was me. Just in case anyone is getting excited, the source was a random person on Reddit, so take it with a salt mountain.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
You know, you made me think now:

The expansion 3 could be a London Edition, released as launch title for SX.

And also, what if they use the same tech used by Asobo to build most of Tokyo, and then just keep adding the same level of detail they always bring to the Horizon series. It could help the developers a lot without taking away what makes Horizon so great.

Playground already actually use some of the same data sources Asobo use, to create their basic terrain mesh. They did this for FH4's rendition of Britain.

Beyond that, I don't think that kind of information is detailed and granular enough to lean on when rendering an entire city at ground-level detail. But I'm not a developer.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

Game changer.

Love it :)

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

- Halo
- Gears
- Ori
- Viva Pinata
- Kameo
- Killer Instinct
- Banjo Kazooie
- Conker

There was also a Perfect Dark figurehead, The Huntress

Deleted member 64517

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 14, 2020

Game changer.

Thread worthy!

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
I don't doubt for a minute that the PS5 is a great console, possibly even "punching above its weight" in ideal conditions a little or something. I don't doubt that Jason has heard from some developers who are excited about next generation hardware including the PS5, and they were probably similarly "frustrated" with how Sony presented things like Jason described himself which just really means that they are fans of PlayStation which is fine. In other words this is pretty much the case where those most partial to Sony's platform are much more likely to privately contact a guy that has shown the same.

Sony did not upend the laws of physics, hardware design and all conventions of how gaming workloads ultimately need to be rendered through millions of CPU draw calls and GPU power just because they went for a faster SSD speed, and I suspect that the Xbox SSD/storage solution is going to mitigate that paper gap further when we have both the full story on their solution as promised and real world game performance. The only thing that is pretty much a given is several seconds faster initial launch of a game on the PS5, but I will take a better visual and frame rate performance for all of the hours during actual gameplay every day of the week over that few seconds I "saved" during initial launch considering that having an SSD at all in these is such a crazy leap in reduced load times.
I agree with this post.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt for a minute that the PS5 is a great console, possibly even "punching above its weight" in ideal conditions a little or something. I don't doubt that Jason has heard from some developers who are excited about next generation hardware including the PS5, and they were probably similarly "frustrated" with how Sony presented things like Jason described himself which just really means that they are fans of PlayStation which is fine. In other words this is pretty much the case where those most partial to Sony's platform are much more likely to privately contact a guy that has shown the same.

Sony did not upend the laws of physics, hardware design and all conventions of how gaming workloads ultimately need to be rendered through millions of CPU draw calls and GPU power just because they went for a faster SSD speed, and I suspect that the Xbox SSD/storage solution is going to mitigate that paper gap further when we have both the full story on their solution as promised and real world game performance. The only thing that is pretty much a given is several seconds faster initial launch of a game on the PS5, but I will take a better visual and frame rate performance for all of the hours during actual gameplay every day of the week over that few seconds I "saved" during initial launch considering that having an SSD at all in these is such a crazy leap in reduced load times.

What I like was that people pointed out similar things re your second paragraph relating to XB1 and now the tables have turned its the same people making the opposite argument about this that and the other. The entire discourse is pretty awful, to be honest, it surprises me how little regard people hold themselves too. By all means like/love your PS or Xbox, not complaining about that but we see the constant cycles of delusion every gen and this time the shoe is on the other foot. Awful all round

Lack of proper moderation doesnt help either...

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's that time again!

Quote this post, ask away, and we'll tackle them accordingly. (No console wars please)

Quick question, nothing too exciting haha.

Since the 1X has not really been out that long, do you think MS should offer a good trade in system for people who want to get the Series X?

Personally I want to upgrade Day 1 but my poor 1X will get shelved very quickly, especially with everything being BC.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I hadn't seen the video by Austin Evans yet but I just did now. That was great. Now we know why MS went with that design too. And again, I love, fucking love quick resume!

Imagine you're playing Witcher 4, PG's RPG and you've just finished a quest and your buddies ask if you want to join in on a Halo online match. Pause the game, start Halo and it's go time. Once your done with shooting fools, you switch back to the RPG and within 10 seconds your back exactly where you left off.

And the games Evans tested aren't even Series X optimized games, who knows how much faster it could be, goes for the loading times too. They didn't optimize Ori 1, Decay 2, The Cave and Forza for the SSD, right? This is just how it works at default. With that in mind actual Series X games might load even faster. Exciting.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
It was a tough beginning of this gen as an Xbox guy. Microsoft made a lot of mistakes and I honestly worried about the future of Xbox.

But wow have things changed. The reveal of the series x has been magnificent. The design of the system is cool. The solutions and features they are including is super exciting. It's kind of sad that I want to experience Fusion Frenzy with HDR, but here I am

They hardware and software teams are killing it and they are obviously very confident in what they have.

There's really only a couple more places they could slip up. Price and games. Both are important but I'm feeling really good.

Series X can't get here soon enough

indeed

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
It was a tough beginning of this gen as an Xbox guy. Microsoft made a lot of mistakes and I honestly worried about the future of Xbox.

But wow have things changed. The reveal of the series x has been magnificent. The design of the system is cool. The solutions and features they are including is super exciting. It's kind of sad that I want to experience Fusion Frenzy with HDR, but here I am

They hardware and software teams are killing it and they are obviously very confident in what they have.

There's really only a couple more places they could slip up. Price and games. Both are important but I'm feeling really good.

Series X can't get here soon enough

For me it began with Xbox One X.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

Game changer.

sounds awesome!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
who is this guy? I read through some of the comments but I see no reason why his assumptions should be taken more seriously than anything else we've seen on

Yea, people need to chill. A combination of bad messaging from Sony on the PS5, specs coming in below a lot of fans over inflated expectations, and most of the world being on self imposed or government lockdown likely have people going a little crazy right now.

Jason's tweets and comments here are especially weird, though. I've seen him say he's "not into warz" a lot the past few days, followed up with how "frustrated" he is with how Sony released an actual spec sheet that doesn't look good side by side with the competitors because TF don't really matter as much in this case? huh? Hopefully he tones this rhetoric down because right now he sounds nothing like an well respected objective journalist and more like other ERA users trying to damage control information with what anonymous sources have told him about the PS5. We won't know until we have these consoles and games in our hands. And he'll look especially silly if these cooling issues are in fact true.

I can't wait for this reveal. I think their next project is going to surprise a lot of people who don't follow Xbox as closely as this group.

Yes, very. Happy to see that with a MP only title. Does progress carry over from the betas?

What are the chances of Inxile's new game being a third or first person game and not isometric?

Status
Not open for further replies.