• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sampo

Jan 23, 2019
Comparing games and studios is obviously subjective, but I think the majority of people wouldn't say that with a straight face.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What do y'all think Xbox game cases are gonna look like?

I'm kinda hoping for black with the Xbox logo in green.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, that would really disappoint me. I mean they have Obsidian now and the potential is amazing. I'm not necessarily expecting a game on the scale of Witcher 3 anytime soon from them, but I DO hope a RPG at least longer than The Outer Worlds and also better in terms of visuals, animations and so on.

I mean even Fallout games are as long as you want them to be. New Vegas main story wasn't crazy long, and the side stuff is all optional. But I certainly hope that Halo, Gears and Fable won't be the only "long" games next gen. And hell, Halo 5 wasn't even that long and neither was Gears. Fable I definitely expect to last quite a while. I really hope GP will be a mix of smaller, shorter games and also bigger, longer games.

I guess it also depends on what is considered long. Is 20 hours long? I mean let's say The Initiative is working on a third person action adventure, 20 to 25 hours is great. That's what Uncharted 4 was as well approximately and the newer Tomb Raiders. For RPG though I hope longer.
Uh outer worlds takes about 20-30 hours to beat depending on how much side content you do. That's plenty long for any game except the massive stuff like a Skyrim

the newtomb raider trilogy were between 10-15 hours to beat. Most non rpg games aren't getting over 20 hours. And uncharted 4 is a bad example because that game was way longer than it had any business being and it was a slog

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Sony 1st party might be the most overrated shit I've ever played (with some exception). Most of their games are a bore to play, they just happen to have pretty graphics. Congrats, I guess.
The only PS4 game I think is truly fantastic is Bloodborne. I am excited for TLOU2 though.

I'm ready for next gen for both consoles

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I still play it when my internet isn't shit. Have over 7 million unspent REQ points. Most underrated console multiplayer game ever IMO.

Oh, I still play it every night. Probably my favourite MP game ever at this point.

I read this as I'm waiting for my warzone firefight match to start, never a long time looking for one still.

I rarely play Warzone, but yeah, I don't usually have long load times on that - I usually get them on Super Fiesta. I switched to BTSF and got into a game in a couple of minutes.

Looking at this gave me a Mass Effect vibe. Halo RPG would be a glorious journey!

I'd be down for a third-person Halo, so long as it's a spin-off/side story.

Xumbrega

Oct 25, 2017
Brasil
the disrespect towards studios like Obsidian, Playground and Ninja Theory is disguting. Obsidian (counting as Black Isle as well) made Baldurs Gates, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, KoTOR 2, Neverwint Nights 2 and so on and they are not on par? ok buddy, guess if you aren't a third person game you are out, lmao

I thought he was saying like not on par on a technical level but that would be a worst take since NT and Playground are defo on the same league

the rest of his tweets, he's right, but lmao at this take

Last edited:

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
Looking at this gave me a Mass Effect vibe. Halo RPG would be a glorious journey!

A ME-inspired third-person Halo RPG spinoff on next-gen Xbox...
giphy.gif

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Hmmm, makes me wonder why MS opted to go for the tower look for XSX. Possibly the biggest reason is cooling?

Uh outer worlds takes about 20-30 hours to beat depending on how much side content you do. That's plenty long for any game except the massive stuff like a Skyrim

the newtomb raider trilogy were between 10-15 hours to beat. Most non rpg games aren't getting over 20 hours. And uncharted 4 is a bad example because that game was way longer than it had any business being and it was a slog

That's true, it's not a bad duration by any means but I can't deny I'd love to see something from Obsidian that does go near the duration of a BGS game, or Witcher. But I'm not expecting that.

You sure Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow are only 10-15 hours? They felt longer to me, either way I never thought they were short, same with the reboot, felt right. Maybe I'm too hung up on hours, haha.

As for Uncharted 4, let's agree to disagree. While I definitely can understand that people feel that way, it never was a slog to me. I loved the build up and the balance between slow and action parts.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Godfall isn't made or published by Sony, so it doesn't apply to this conversation. It could have an exclusivity window and end up on Series X in 2021 for all we know.

Ahh, that's true enough. The point stands though about each publishers "showing" at the Game Awards.

Hellblade 2 was put on to show of XSX and blew people's minds.
Godfall was meant to show off PS5 and left many cold. I hope the reveal will be great in that regard.

m23

Oct 25, 2017

Thought I'd share here - we owe a lot of the growth and listens to the community here, so thank you.

Are you guys planning to get on Spotify? Would make listening a lot easier for me.

Also are you responsible for discord invites? For some reason I was kicked out of the Xbox discord a while back.

Aug 26, 2019
Crazy how the two next-gen XGS games we've seen (Everwild, Hellblade 2) are both polar opposites in terms of art style yet are equally as impressive

Tsubasa

Apr 29, 2018
It's just the thinking would make sense 4 years ago, but they've completely turned things around already in the ways he's asked. Now it's just down to time for the games to release so I don't get why he'd say it now.

Even 4 years ago. Does this guy know about a certain studio called Obsidian? Does he know what Obsidian means in videogames? Probably not, that's why he talks bullshit on Twitter.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
There are already three announced next-gen first-party games by Xbox Game Studios, with every single one of them looking high-quality (Everwild, Halo Infinite, Senua's Saga: Hellblade II). That's 3 more than the competition.

thats news to me. giving the timing of release, its pretty clear, but i dont recall reading a single thing confirming it.

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, makes me wonder why MS opted to go for the tower look for XSX. Possibly the biggest reason is cooling?

That's true, it's not a bad duration by any means but I can't deny I'd love to see something from Obsidian that does go near the duration of a BGS game, or Witcher. But I'm not expecting that.

You sure Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow are only 10-15 hours? They felt longer to me, either way I never thought they were short, same with the reboot, felt right. Maybe I'm too hung up on hours, haha.

As for Uncharted 4, let's agree to disagree. While I definitely can understand that people feel that way, it never was a slog to me. I loved the build up and the balance between slow and action parts.
Tomb raiders feel longer but I Beat TR2013 twice and took me about 9 hours. Rise and shadow took around 15-16

Apr 6, 2018
You're the ugly one!

If it's a relaunch, they may do a big expansion to campaign and upgrade visuals more than a simple BC enhancement would accomplish.

Though I would also expect a big map update to get the MP community over.
I'm not 100% sure about the campaing dlc
Wild guess. Semi open world survival horror set in the Vasgar dessert, set around when the Swarm first appeared. Inspired by Pitch Black and Blade Runner 2049.

Just kidding, that's just a dream I had.
Have you ever considered the idea of talking about those kind of dreams with a doctor?
Gears 5 is dying for some campaign DLC, the game felt like it rushed the ending with a short Act 4. Give us Act 5!
There never was an act 5, if it's going to be a thing it won't be after act 4
Iirc Gears 5 was only in development for two and a bit years, which would explain why the final act was a bit pants.

Fingers crossed Gears 6 gets a lot more development time.
Nope, that's 4, 5 has been worked on since 4 released
Yeah I agree with that. At first in the snow area I kinda liked the open world part, but it didn't take long before I noticed how it's just lifeless and really doesn't add anything to the experience. Exactly as you said, the tight action segments is where it shines, it's where Gears has always shined.

I am a little worried for Gears 6, because didn't TC say they would focus even more on these open world segments in the future? Even after the criticism that surprises me. If they can really make these segments worth it, go for it, but if it were up to me I would leave Gears where it shines, close quarters action. Sure, some more open areas with plenty of combat is fine, but those hubs with uninteresting side missions ain't it chief.
The open areas were put there for two reasons:
1) handle the "it's too linear" without compromising the base gameplay
2)hide loadings
Microsoft wants to release games of their own in Game Pass every few months, right? If some of the studios that focus on smaller games manage to get that working, maybe the studios focused on the bigger games can get extra development time, games like Fable, Gears, Halo, whatever The Initiative is working on. Maybe there won't be as much of a "rush" on them.

I don't expect MS to copy Sony, but I definitely would like to see some bigger games that are super polished, smooth, beautiful visuals and animation and also a nice long singleplayer. Gears 5 felt rushed in the second half and that's a bummer because 4 never felt like that to me and neither did the original trilogy. The trailer of Tactics showed that it will feature a 40 hour campaign, holy shit..why is the mainline game so short then?

Last but not least, I really hope Halo Infinite has a nice long singleplayer too. They have been working for a long time on this and with a huge ass team at that too. Basically a good balance of smaller and bigger games is what I hope Game Pass will consist of next gen.
Because 15/20 hours is the right lenght for a campaign, 30 or so will be boring full of ripetitive things and so on.
Right now I'm thinking about a meme with Lockhart and Series X being anime girls

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Crazy how the two next-gen XGS games we've seen (Everwild, Hellblade 2) are both polar opposites in terms of art style yet are equally as impressive

I wouldn't say they are equally impressive at all, Everwild looks like something that can easily be done on current gen. The art style is great, but graphically I didn't find it very impressive at all, unlike Hellblade 2 which you can immediately tell has the next gen factor.

Because 15/20 hours is the right lenght for a campaign, 30 or so will be boring full of ripetitive things and so on.

This, so much. Halo should be 15-20 hours maximum.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
Cooper only wants Microsoft to emulate Sony's narrative third-person games or he'll not be justified. I think that going for diversity (with plenty of singleplayer experiences, and yes, narrative-focused games among them) is the right and better move. He also completely ignores the growth of all the studios over the last year. He further doesn't acknowledge that games like Wasteland 3 or Ori look better and better every time we see it. Also, Microsoft Flight Simulator and Hellblade II screamed more next gen than anything that the competition has shown. Don't take this tweet seriously, please.

Apr 6, 2018
Gears 5 Enhanced is hardly news, I thought you were referring to an entirely new game in the property.
It's not just enhanced, it's a relaunch in sot/swbf2/mk8 fashion.
If they want to keep the game running with the next generation refresh they had to make the game relevant with Series X, so AFAIK are planning to make something akin to the previous examples
Gears 5 had problems, for sure. But all of them was in the Online department. The campaign was amazing: top, top graphics and animations, amazing soundtrack and voice acting, great storyline and characters. The Coalition created the best Gears yet, adding modern trends without disrupting the gameplay core the series is known for. As for length, I think it has the longest Gears campaign, it took me 15h to beat it (missing a lot of collectibles). Gears having a 30h campaign wouldn't make any sense at all.

I think developers should do what they want to do, and not create something just because it follows modern trends, in this case being lengthy campaigns. If The Initiative wants to create a 200 hours game, they should do it, if they want to do a 10 hours, so be it. What matters in the end is how good it is.
^^^
People want more campaign, which bring us to the extremely low game design with half rpg, half ow we saw.
Gears 5 did this things but in a gears fashion
I'd love a Destiny-like game for Halo. Doubt it'll ever really happen. Look at how Ghost Recon's community reacted when their franchise went all Destiny-like. I'd personally love it but I understand it's not what everyone wants.
the problem is that otuside destiny, which struggled too, each looter shooter didn't performed that good compared to the investiments
You're forgetting the potential Perfect Dark game by The Coalition
Halo Infinite is not going to be in GOTY next year because it comes so late. 2021 is year where it competes.

Next year GOTY is going to be brutal between FF, Tlou 2 and Cyberpunk.
which is the last date for being nominated to goty? Half november?
JFO didn't run because of that IIRC
the disrespect towards studios like Obsidian, Playground and Ninja Theory is disguting. Obsidian (counting as Black Isle as well) made Baldurs Gates, Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Fallout New Vegas, KoTOR 2, Neverwint Nights 2 and so on and they are not on par? ok buddy, guess if you aren't a third person game you are out, lmao

I thought he was saying like not on par on a technical level but that would be a worst take since NT and Playground are defo on the same league

the rest of his tweets, he's right, but lmao at this take
the quality of GUerrilla is still unmatched dude, it took skill to create a complete original art style and put it into a slighty less elaborate ubisoft game

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys planning to get on Spotify? Would make listening a lot easier for me.

Also are you responsible for discord invites? For some reason I was kicked out of the Xbox discord a while back.
We're already on Spotify.

And yes, I can assist with Discord invs. I have a backlog I need to look at actually.

Aug 26, 2019
I wouldn't say they are equally impressive at all, Everwild looks like something that can easily be done on current gen. The art style is great, but graphically I didn't find it very impressive at all, unlike Hellblade 2 which you can immediately tell has the next gen factor.
I would have to respectfully disagree. I thought that Everwild's lighting and cloth physics looked beyond this gen.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017

Is brutal but that true sadly :(

But now it's totally different with Matt Booty and Peter wyse.

And now the future is more exciting than ever !

Also :

XGS employees.

List wars right now is as lame as ever. Content and artistic preference will be subjective. The experience, credibility and versatility of the talent under Microsofts publishing is a lot to be excited about. Guess now is the last chance to get shots in over Myersons 1st party budget.

Goldstick

Jun 6, 2019
Porto, Portugal
I saw some people saying that they received a message on Xbox Live stating Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscription will drop from $14.99 to $9.99 next year.
Does anyone know anything about that?

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I tried to compile a complete list of what all the XGS teams are working on. The studios are listed in alphabetical order. "__" indicates presumed title of game.

- Halo Infinite

Compulsion
- Unannounced game

Double Fine
- Psychonauts 2
- Probably more projects as well given the studio has previously worked on multiple projects at a time ("Brütal Legend 2"?)

inXile
- Wasteland 3
- Unannounced action RPG

Mojang
- Minecraft Dungeons
- Minecraft continued support

Ninja Theory
- Bleeding Edge
- Senua's Saga: Hellblade II
- Unannounced game(s) (at E3 they said they have started work on, "a number of new games" implying more than 2)

Obsidian
- Grounded (Pillars team moved onto this right?)
- Unannounced game (the one Microsoft was supposedly high on pre-acquisition)
- "The Outer Worlds 2" (after Outer Worlds DLC)
- Maybe something else as well? (Feargus Urquhart said in a game informer interview they have, "two other teams starting things up" not counting TOW team or Pillars team. If he's counting Grounded as one of the two then scratch this one off the list, but I don't think so because I think the Pillars team is the small team that moved onto Grounded. Maybe I'm overthinking it idk)

Playground
- "Forza Horizon 5"
- Open world RPG: "Fable IV" (or some sort of reboot)

Rare
- Everwild
- Battletoads (with Dlala)
- Sea of Thieves continued support

The Coalition
- "Gears 6"
- Gears Tactics (with Splash Damage)

The Initiative
- Unannounced debut game (Xbox's ace in the hole)

Turn 10
- "Forza Motorsport 8"

Undead Labs
- "State of Decay 3"

World's Edge
- Age of Empires IV (with Relic)
- "Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition"?

XGS Global Publishing
- Ori and the Will of the Wisps (Moon)
- Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo)
- CrossfireX (Smilegate+Remedy)
- Tell Me Why (DONTNOD)

Am I forgetting anything?

nice list! a few more i think?

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

Is brutal but that true sadly :(

But now it's totally different with Matt Booty and Peter wyse.

And now the future is more exciting than ever !

Also :

XGS employees.

That's a harsh and ignorant take for someone looking from the outside in, does he really think all of Sony's studios are at a level beyond XGS's. Let alone that acquisitions like Playground, Obsidian or Ninja Theory aren't matching or better than any of Sony's studios, like come on you can't be serious. That's a weird take to come from someone in his position in the industry, but there is probably a factor of pride/bias given his previous position. Still the sort of flippant and ignorant take I expect from a fanboy on a forum, but dressed up.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
That's a harsh and ignorant take for someone looking from the outside in, does he really think all of Sony's studios are at a level beyond XGS's. Let alone that acquisitions like Playground, Obsidian or Ninja Theory aren't matching or better than any of Sony's studios, like come on you can't be serious. That's a weird take to come from someone in his position in the industry, but there is probably a factor of pride/bias given his previous position. Still the sort of flippant and ignorant take I expect from a fanboy on a forum, but dressed up.

Shocked.

Jonathan Cooper
GameAnim
Author - GAME ANIM: Video Game Animation Explained - http://a.co/d/dWunwis Animated on Uncharted, The Last of Us, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect series & more...

Status
Not open for further replies.