• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
I originally thought going with the All-Digital Scarlett (if available day 1) was a no brainer for me but I like being able to buy the physical version of games that end up delisted. I picked up Transformers: Devastation by Platinum Games for $20 after I found out it was gone and the steam key was being sold for $80 lol

I'm hoping that someday we will be able to play all OG/360 Xbox games even if they aren't available on the store, there is a few 360 games already in this position like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Forza Horizon 1 etc.
Native back compatibility would steer me hard into the Disk-accepting Scarlett skew as well.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Hi Everyone.

Just used Black Friday to pickup XBox One X for my son for Christmas (unfortunately Santa still gets the credit). I'm planning on getting a subscription to Gamepass prior to my son opening the console

Since this will be the first Microsoft console that I've ever owned, if you were starting out new, what order would you go about tacking Microsoft's 1st party games. I'm pretty open to any type of game.

Take Xbox Game Pass and play :

Sunset overdrive
Quantum break
Ryse
Halo MCC
Gears ultimate and 5
FH4
Sea of thieves
State of decay 2
Ori
Cuphead

Rétro titles :

-Shadow complex
-Lost odyssey
-Kotor 1-2
-Ninja Gaiden black

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
he specifically Said that the Scorpion Development Team is currently responsible for Scarlett

and we Knew that panos and his team were the one how design the X

So!

Though one of the master minds behind the design of the S is no longer there (Andrew Kim, he's now at Apple)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
You should see the thread. I'll say no more.

Speaking personally I haven't seen a lot of leaks for Scarlett. All I know is looking at their recent output, the engineering team at MS are wizards at their craft. I'm positive they're going to deliver on the hardware end.

agree

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
You should see the thread. I'll say no more.

Speaking personally I haven't seen a lot of leaks for Scarlett. All I know is looking at their recent output, the engineering team at MS are wizards at their craft. I'm positive they're going to deliver on the hardware end.
So much focus on power and little discussion at all on the potential price, form factor, fan noise etc, or indeed any other potential QoL features which are what makes a console a console. What's baffling is that if these posters are so "concerned" about (rumoured to be tiny) power differences then surely they should be gaming on PC where they will already be able to enjoy a more powerful CPU and GPU than even the next gen consoles will bring.

And actually, on that note, that's the beauty of Microsoft releasing all their games on PC. Their games aren't confined to whatever performance Scarlett will offer.

Last edited:

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 does not have casual mode.

Golem.de: Is there a casual mode?

Neumann: No, not at all. We don't want to do this as a game. Our target group are people for whom flying is a hobby. They know a lot about it.

Golem.de: If I can fly in the Flight Simulator, then also a real 747?

Neumann: Many pilots tell us that they have learned to fly with the Flight Simulator. You get very close to real flying. However, our goal is that everyone who has the dream to fly should be able to do it in the Flight Simulator. There are a few planes, like the Piper or the Cessna, which are very easy to fly. You can learn that in a few days.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
I mean what is casual mode. There are options for example that help with flying abit but not much. But also options that it says what you need to do with pre flight checks. Or you can disable that all and do it all yourself.

I think "pointing to no casual mode" seems to be this, probably not pursuing gameability like "MS Flight."

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
~200 devs working on the game. ~120 from Asobo and ~30/40 from MS. Also, smaller studios involved.

Goddamn, they're really going for it :D

TL;DR:

• Jörg Neumann once worked for Digital Anvil (founded by Chris Roberts (Star Citizen);

• they had to solve the issue of dark sides of buildings;

• around 300 landmarks are handmade, the rest is made by using algorithms;

• they build 1.5 billion houses in the cloud every day;

• every airplane that is currently on the move can also be found in the simulator. You can fly and watch the other airplane fly over the clouds;

• engine is from Asobo and is using Double-precision floating-point;

• they had ATC from day one working in MSFS (taken from FSX);

• they used code from FSX at the start but then rewrote everything (starting in 2016);

• the world is divided into squares with a side length of 64 meters each, up to a height of 65,000 feet. For each of these cubes there are values for humidity, air pressure, which particles float around and other sensor data. This also means that the air is moving in the right wind direction and strength;

• the clouds are made out of voxels and are rendered with raymarching - a kind of raytracing. In addition, the clouds are generated dynamically. When it rains and gets warmer, it generates lift;

• CPU is used for instruments and autopilot. Everything else is done by the GPU, this offers a lot of computing power because it can use multi threading;

• Is there a casual mode? Neumann: No, not at all. We don't want to do this as a game. Our target group are people for whom flying is a hobby. They know a lot about it;

• How important are mods? Neumann: [...] I see the Flight Simulator as a platform, not as a game or simulation;

• Around 200 people are working on this sim, 120 from Asobo and 20 to 30 people at MS (they help with machine learning). There are also a few smaller teams, including in Austria;

• How far has development progressed? Neumann: We're in Pre Tech Alpha. The simulation is there, you can do anything. But not all planes are ready yet. For the 47,000 airports, we would like to go through the data and correct them if necessary. We are still working on accessibility. There is always something to do. We simulate the world, you can go into endless detail.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 does not have casual mode.
At the same time, tho, it's been announced for Xbox One too, where the game will be required to support at least the standard controller, other than flight-sim specific hardware. I don't see how this would be feasible without a "casual mode".

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
At the same time, tho, it's been announced for Xbox One too, where the game will be required to support at least the standard controller, other than flight-sim specific hardware. I don't see how this would be feasible without a "casual mode".

I know that "FSX" supports the Xbox360 controller.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Welp, looks like I'm never installing Minecraft Earth. Just your usual mobile game bullshit. Meh.

Valid points of critique but wow I'm not a fan of how this article is written. Not gonna derail it but some of the articles from WC feel more like what you'd expect on the YouTube side of things.

I'm still gonna give it a shot. I did the same thing for Gears Pop and I liked the time that I spent in that game even while it had some aggressive monetization.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
Valid points of critique but wow I'm not a fan of how this article is written. Not gonna derail it but some of the articles from WC feel more like what you'd expect on the YouTube side of things.

I'm still gonna give it a shot. I did the same thing for Gears Pop and I liked the time that I spent in that game even while it had some aggressive monetization.

I agree with some of the concerns expressed, but this a very emotional written article by a big Minecraft fan that goes over the top too.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
The Kiwami games are using dynamic scaling from 900p - 1080p AFAIK. I could be mixing it up with Yakuza 6.
Nonetheless, I'm still pretty excited for the remasters and eventually the other games to come over to Xbox :D

Same here. It has been my biggest wish that these games would come to Xbox, but had given up on it due to Sega's answer.

For sure the rest will follow. Maybe that's a E3 announcement :)

I'm so glad they have it on Game Pass day one because that definitely increases the chances of the rest of the games following after, compared to if they had only releases them as paid games (retail).

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Same here. It has been my biggest wish that these games would come to Xbox, but had given up on it due to Sega's answer.

For sure the rest will follow. Maybe that's a E3 announcement :)

I'm so glad they have it on Game Pass day one because that definitely increases the chances of the rest of the games following after, compared to if they had only releases them as paid games (retail).

Sega definitely talked about bringing more of their own games over to more platforms. Valkyria Chronicles and Monkey Ball were neat surprises for people who wanted to see these games release on Xbox. Yakuza is incredibly cool to see. Square is in a similar spot where I could see them port over DQ11 after they've done the KH HD ports and when the FF games have released on Xbox Game Pass.
Outside of Square, Bamco and Sega, the road is still very long before the very niche Japanese devs will develop games for the system. That'll take a lot more time.

I've posted about it yesterday but that's why I think it's a very good decision to get South Korean games like Crossfire and Kartrider on Xbox and also the fact that they gave both games a lot of screentime on-stage with Phil even talking about Crossfire at the E3 show.

Alive2007

Aug 21, 2019
I've posted about it yesterday but that's why I think it's a very good decision to get South Korean games like Crossfire and Kartrider on Xbox and also the fact that they gave both games a lot of screentime on-stage with Phil even talking about Crossfire at the E3 show.
I can't wait to see what other Korean games we will get. I think game pass is a perfect way to launch a premium version of Lost Ark. Smilegate has spoken about the possibility of a premium version years ago and we know MS is interested in iso ARPG's based on what the Grim Dawn devs have said. (MS was really enthusiastic about a Grim Dawn port)

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the Mandalorian

EKuOuYPXkAAKY4u

Mack

Banned
May 30, 2019
So, do you guys care about achievements/completing games for a 1000 or whatever GS? Or is this all meaningless to you?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
What we want to do is bring undead Labs into our ecosystem, free them from all contract bureaucracy and bargaining, it's all made up of cash, and say to them, "Make State of Decay 3 with AAA quality." We want the game to be at the top, alongside Left 4 Dead and other high end games. The best way to achieve this is to make them a first-party studio and to assist with whatever they need. "

👀

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can have a casual mode while still making the game for hobbyists first and foremost. The inclusion of an easy mode does not make a hard mode less hard. Accessibility, Phil!

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I originally thought going with the All-Digital Scarlett (if available day 1) was a no brainer for me but I like being able to buy the physical version of games that end up delisted. I picked up Transformers: Devastation by Platinum Games for $20 after I found out it was gone and the steam key was being sold for $80 lol

I'm hoping that someday we will be able to play all OG/360 Xbox games even if they aren't available on the store, there is a few 360 games already in this position like Peter Jackson's King Kong, Forza Horizon 1 etc.
That's not going to happen. The emulation is primarily done by software and consoles no longer play game data but install them on the hard drive to play them. So for Xbox to host the game data wrapped in the emulator for people to download and play, they must get approval from the publisher.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
If it's a game I'm enjoying, getting the 100% is a nice incentive to keep playing/play it in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.