• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So people think Halo will be the biggest dissapointing this year. That's weird.

Maybe they were so disappointed in 5 that they just don't know what to expect from Infinite. I'm in that boat myself a little. 5 was a huge disappointment for me but I badly want Infinite to be amazing. The thought of having Halo as launch game with a brand new Xbox again is a very exciting thing in itself.

But it's also a very ambitious project, and the few rumors that have appeared don't really help my excitement too much. Mostly I just want to see this bad boy. We haven't seen any gameplay yet but I want to see Halo shine again. Don't give a fuck if it's not gonna appear in the game of the year category during TGA or anything, as long as 343 puts Halo back on the map again.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
The spin from social media and here on Era is dizzying.

Last year when people thought MS would only have a tiny bit of floor space at E3 was a catastrophe. Now amid rumors that Sony may skip E3 the consensus is that this is smart since E3 iss dying.

Halo Infinite and all launch games for Xbox series X will simply be current gen experiences masked by high fidelity visuals and it will be years before Xbox has actual next gen experiences, if ever (thanks to Game Pass).

Do I have this right?

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Last year when people thought MS would only have a tiny bit of floor space at E3 was a catastrophe. Now amid rumors that Sony may skip E3 the consensus is that this is smart since E3 iss dying.

Halo Infinite and all launch games for Xbox series X will simply be current gen experiences masked by high fidelity visuals and it will be years before Xbox has actual next gen experiences, if ever (thanks to Game Pass).

Do I have this right?

Yeah, pretty much. And oh, next gen will be held back by Lockhart and Xbox, thirds are being demanded to create Xbox One versions of next gen games.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

Do I have this right?
not yet

PS5 is stronger than next Xbox so xbox is dead

PS5 will have higher ram (24GB) and (14TF) and full BC with 399$

PS5 will sell better than Xbox even if it's weaker than Xbox with the same price

Xbox is dead and Halo is dead too so the next one won't sell at all

Oct 27, 2017

Do I have this right?
Basically with the mindshare whatever Sony does is right for the time being. Whether they left or stayed at E3 it would've been spun as the right choice

NimbusCub

Oct 28, 2017
Phoenix
I feel like the bolded is missed on everyone, including DF? Matt Booty never said EVERY game has to be on Xbox One and the New Xbox, he just said the first party games will be on both for the first year or (possibly only first) two. I feel like overtime that part has been dropped and the narrative has become, EVERY game has to be on both from everyone... it's weird.
This!!!

I've seen people overreacting, acting like the entire gen would be held back by Microsoft, including Third Party games. Did they read the interview at all?
Perhaps the next games releasing the next year or two have already been in development for both.. So the comment is what we should expect and not something that is required for 1p on new games starting development.

I commented on this in the thread for the article. The interview was published earlier this month, and Matt Booty in the context of the interview said "next two years".

That would mean the rest of 2020 and the first year of the next generation, 2021.

Given that it's only titles after the first year of the new consoles' life cycle, I wouldn't be surprised if all of the games had been in development for some time.

It also appears that Team Xbox has taken a different approach with the first salvo of exclusives than Sony, whose 1st party titles seem to have been inrentionally held in the wings for the launch of PS5.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
At the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Showtime revealed the first image of Halo star Pablo Schreiber wearing Master Chief's iconic armor. The only bad news is... the photo won't be shown to the public, for now.

Showtime's President of Entertainment, Gary Levine, revealed the behind-closed-doors image, and we're happy to report that Master Chief looks fantastic. Levine assured everyone that Schreiber was indeed the man behind the Chief's helmet in the costume rather than a stuntman (speculation that also plagued Pedro Pascal in The Mandalorian). The photo shows Chief seated alone on a ship. Everything from Schreiber's detailed costume to the inside of the vessel feels very authentic to the Halo video game franchise.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Basically with the mindshare whatever Sony does is right for the time being. Whether they left or stayed at E3 it would've been spun as the right choice

Didn't like....twice as many people polled on this site say that Sony outperformed Microsoft at E3 2019?

Some people have real problems, yo.

EDIT: was looking at the wrong thread. Still, almost 20% said Sony won by not showing up, so yeah, my point still stands, and you hate to see it.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
The one opinion I do care about, DF and it sounds like scaling isn't necessarily going to be the answer completely. John doesn't seem too happy indeed.

screenshot_20200113-1haedr.jpg

This is pretty much what people have been saying. Those jaguars were pretty bad already when consoles came.

I don't think anyone disagrees, but this does not mean games will be bad.

Yeah it doesn't mean at all that games would be bad. But lots of people disagreed and think that scaling is magic and it is easily done. We have to just wait and see.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much what people have been saying. Those jaguars were pretty bad already when consoles came.

Yeah it doesn't mean at all that games would be bad. But lots of people disagreed and think that scaling is magic and it is easily done. We have to just wait and see.
The crazy part is for some people in era, it seems we don't need to wait, PS5 already wins in graphic lmao.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
So people think Halo will be the biggest dissapointing this year. That's weird.

Halo is my favorite video game franchise of all time. Halo 1 came out my freshman year of college and I played every Halo game at midnight on launch day.

I am not really excited for Infinite. Halo 4 and 5 left a bad taste in my mouth. Halo 4's gameplay was repetitive and boring, and while i thought the gameplay in 5 was phenomenal the story was a fucking mess and has left me mostly disinterested. Throw in the MCC mess that took too long to become fixed and here we are.

I'm still getting it on Day 1 and it will be my first XSX play, and I am hopeful for a return to form.. but I feel the series peaked with Halo 3/ODST and has been sliding downhill since.... it's not surprising to see people sour on the series.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Finally playing Frostpunk (thanks to Gamepass). Awesome game. Hopefully MS collaborate with that studio on something down the line.

Aug 23, 2018
The crazy part is for some people in era, it seems we don't need to wait, PS5 already wins in graphic lmao.
but insider says otherwise....

so i'll wait until official reveals
Yeah i wait too, but i wouldn't be suprised If Series X is stronger. Not that it matters, but anyway. Currently most hyped about SSD and controller

We really just need to see the game/console reveals at this point. This place is getting a little too feisty for my liking

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you taking some trolls so seriously. Besides there are probably more people who believe Series X will be stronger.
I'm not that seriously, though recently PS5 win the graphic due to first 1-2 years XSX games are cross-gen, that's a new one you know.
So i think we can also wait and see what kind of new theory they will keep throwing in upcoming time.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I feel like the bolded is missed on everyone, including DF? Matt Booty never said EVERY game has to be on Xbox One and the New Xbox, he just said the first party games will be on both for the first year or (possibly only first) two. I feel like overtime that part has been dropped and the narrative has become, EVERY game has to be on both from everyone... it's weird.
He didn't even say that. He said first party games releasing over the next year or two will work up and down the Xbox range. The next year or two from when the interview took place, in November 2019. Not a year or two after XSX launches.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Does anyone here use the Elite 2 controller? I'm really tempted about getting one, but the thread here makes it seem like they all have QA problems. One user said they've replaced their controller 5 times (6 total controllers). If there's any semblance of quality assurance in production (and there should be for a high-end product), it seems almost impossible to me that someone could get that many duds in a row. What have your experiences been?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
www.artstation.com

Thomas Chamberlain-Keen

Concept Artist at Playground Games

Some amazing works :o
Wow

I like these a lot. Does anyone have a list of all the artists they've brought on to the RPG team and their portfolios? It'd be really interesting to see a super cut of all the styles and inspirations coming in to this.

I know that's a strange thing for someone to have, but if it's anyone it's someone here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
"Halo Infinite Developed with PC in Mind"

Good luck with Sony if PS5 is weaker(otherwise all cross-gen talk doesn't really matter since beginning) and try to make Halo Infinite looks like this gen(this gen not end yet lol).

Well that's the thing. Maybe this time around the PS5 launch exclusives won't be "trash" but actually worth it. But I wouldn't be surprised if one is TLOU2 with enhancements and GoT as well, far from trash but also far from actual new games really.

But I do think they will have at least one new IP as exclusive. Or maybe two, Godfsll and another one.

PC is the target for all XGS games and optimizing at different skus and scalability is prioritized.

Then they should be able to go "all out" for games on XSX, right? The things John from Digital Foundry is worrying about probably won't apply here. But I'm just guessing of course.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
At the Television Critics Association winter press tour in Pasadena, Showtime revealed the first image of Halo star Pablo Schreiber wearing Master Chief's iconic armor. The only bad news is... the photo won't be shown to the public, for now.

Showtime's President of Entertainment, Gary Levine, revealed the behind-closed-doors image, and we're happy to report that Master Chief looks fantastic. Levine assured everyone that Schreiber was indeed the man behind the Chief's helmet in the costume rather than a stuntman (speculation that also plagued Pedro Pascal in The Mandalorian). The photo shows Chief seated alone on a ship. Everything from Schreiber's detailed costume to the inside of the vessel feels very authentic to the Halo video game franchise.

hype!!

Does anyone here use the Elite 2 controller? I'm really tempted about getting one, but the thread here makes it seem like they all have QA problems. One user said they've replaced their controller 5 times (6 total controllers). If there's any semblance of quality assurance in production (and there should be for a high-end product), it seems almost impossible to me that someone could get that many duds in a row. What have your experiences been?
I have an elite 2. I'm on my second controller, I'm considering taking this one back again. The issue I'm having is with the face buttons, they either stick or they lose connection briefly. For example when I hold down B to boost in rocket league, mid way through a full boost it will stop working.

I'm trying to wait for a new wave to come out before I exchange again.

Having said that, I prefer using an elite that doesn't work 100% over a regular controller. I would buy a warranty with the controller, and if possible buy it from an MS Store. I had a issue with the EB games in my city and I'll never go back.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then they should be able to go "all out" for games on XSX, right? The things John from Digital Foundry is worrying about probably won't apply here. But I'm just guessing of course.
Hopefully but we just really don't know. Ultimately results will speak for themselves and then we can judge accordingly. I think it's fine to be a bit skeptical or cautiously optimistic in the meantime.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
but insider says otherwise....

so i'll wait until official reveals

Huh,....

You mean what Andrew Reiner said last year? That he heard from devs that PS5 was more powerful? But then later after that came Tom Warren with the tweet about how MS wanted to surprise MS, people laughed at this, and he said 12tf. Windows Central went with this as well and also DF.

So right now I would say the rumors that XSX is the more powerful one are stronger.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully but we just really don't know. Ultimately results will speak for themselves and then we can judge accordingly. I think it's fine to be a bit skeptical or cautiously optimistic in the meantime.
Seriously, it just one game for each first party studio max(some studio/team may even skip it like Playground's RPG team), people making it sound like they're making 100 cross-gen games so no way to max out XSX and scale for each platform is weird, also some of them seriously think mainstream people will see this as bad thing(like 2013's bad) is even more funny.
There is very high chance all first party games are developed with PC in mind since beginning like Halo Infinite.

As for third parties? well they can do whatever they want, cross-gen or not.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

Very true.

This reminds me of one comment on Reddit about the same topic, one poster said that devs will now still have to mess with baked lighting instead of taking advantage of that sweet, sweet raytracing.

That's something I really hope won't happen and I also very, very much doubt it. Please 343, give us that raytracing in Halo Infinite. Oh man I want that badly.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
343 made the best story with 4 and the best gameplay with 5.
Can't wait :)

i agree with this. Gameplay mechanics were great in 5...

still 5 had an awful campaign regardless because of the shitty story but mostly the bad levels/encounter design/lineariry

and.. why cant the game be set on a halo? I love ce the best partly because of its unique setting on an actual halo

i really hope infinite skips the planet warping crap

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Huh,....

You mean what Andrew Reiner said last year? That he heard from devs that PS5 was more powerful? But then later after that came Tom Warren with the tweet about how MS wanted to surprise MS, people laughed at this, and he said 12tf. Windows Central went with this as well and also DF.

So right now I would say the rumors that XSX is the more powerful one are stronger.
Its Ebtesam: I do not think I have ever seen a post by him/her/them that is not somehow spun into a negative thing.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
343 made the best story with 4 and the best gameplay with 5.
Can't wait :)

Story was a lot better in 4 for sure yeah and overall the campaign was just great really. Lovely visuals and art style as well.

Agreed on gameplay or 5, they nailed it and I have nothing to complain about there. But the campaign itself wasn't too great, and for a big part that's because of the warden fights. The first one was great, but how many of these assholes are you gonna throw at me 343? Truly hope not to see a single warden in Infinite.

I want to say I don't like how we still haven't seen gameplay yet, but did we see gameplay from previous Halo games longer than a year before it released? I recall seeing the jungle level of 4 at E3 and that was the first gameplay ever, it released thar same year too, didn't it? Same with 5, no gameplay until E3 and it released that November I think?

But I DO expect a big and long dive into gameplay at E3, this'll be the big one for sure.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Its Ebtesam: I do not think I have ever seen a post by him/her/them that is not somehow spun into a negative thing.
her/

and it's not negative thing he/she said every one thinks and i said insider say otherwise....

and then tell him to wait for official reveals...

don't hype yourselves when we don't know Who to believe...

Huh,....

he was the first but then we have two more say the same...

and think the surprise was the reveal at TGA....

so we really don't know who to believe

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Man, that final spec, for both consoles, can't come to light soon enough. Gotta get this thread back on baseless speculation about acquisitions based on the first letter of every word in a tweet by Phil Spencer

Aug 26, 2019
The only suggestion I have for Xbox E3 is to keep Rod Fergusson away from the marketing

j/k but not j/k

Have tons of gameplay demos running on Series X. Live demos, prerecorded whatever but it needs to be gameplay. The only things that aren't gameplay should be in-engine. No CGI.

Status
Not open for further replies.