• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Please show Gameplay, gets frustrating if its only Trailers after Trailers.

Halo Infinite, Forza 8/ FH5 should have some gameplay for sure.

I think we will see a lot of gameplay this time since they need to promote the next gen console properly.
I think last year they had too much to show to put in gameplay presentations while assuming those gameplay segments take a bit longer than just a trailer.

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm real late with this :P but anyone else think the Squirrel Emoji posted by Klobrille was possibly a reference to a new Conker game?

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
thats how halo used to be from 2010 to 1015 there was some kind of halo game out every year. granted a couple of those were mobile games

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I know I'm real late with this :P but anyone else think the Squirrel Emoji posted by Klobrille was possibly a reference to a new Conker game?

He mentioned the other day that it was just a reference to him taking a short break from social media. Not that it's guaranteed he wasn't just covering, but usually he's a little more playful about that kind of stuff.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Please show Gameplay, gets frustrating if its only Trailers after Trailers.

Halo Infinite, Forza 8/ FH5 should have some gameplay for sure.

There's no way in hell they won't show Halo Infinite gameplay. This is the big one, we still know so little about it. OK so last year I thought Gears 5 gameplay was a given as well, but I do think this is different.

I really hope MS now realizes that non stop trailers ain't it. Is it great to have it be about games and nothing but games? Absolutely, but do take a page from Sony's book here and mostly show gameplay where you can.

If Fable is far enough in development that it can be shown, show it off. Show gameplay, let us see how the visuals look, the animations, the world, get us excited af, basically.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
With Halo Infinite's potential as a live service, I don't think we'll have to worry about not getting enough Halo throughout the generation.
It better be Destiny Halo. You know except good. I wanna roam around and find random groups of covenant to defeat. Warthog runs scattered throughout the world.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
And apparently we also now have "teraflops are a lie". Nope I didn't check the thread because from now on I'm just gonna steer cleer from all that nonsense. Let's look forward to E3 instead.

It's just so damn tiring that everything has to be 'warz'.

I really hope MS now realizes that non stop trailers ain't it. Is it great to have it be about games and nothing but games? Absolutely, but do take a page from Sony's book here and mostly show gameplay where you can.

Thing is, they always used to have gameplay demos, it's only the last year or two it's been trailer-trailer-trailer-trailer. I think they've got a bit too hung up on "let's show as many games as we can," which, while admirable, means you don't get a chance to go into detail on anything.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't mind CGI trailers. It's usually pretty clear when something is CGI or in engine, and it gives me an idea of the tone or the world building they're going for. I don't have any real expectations that the final product will look anything like that, but it is fun to imagine where they'll go with it.

I guess I'd prefer something in engine if given the choice, because then I'd get a better idea of the art style, but you can communicate the art style through a CGI trailer too. Basically as long as they're good trailers I don't care if it's CGI or in engine.

Really I'd love a nice quick CGI trailer for Fable at this point, just to set the tone, I appreciate the game is probably still a ways away, but having that question answered would be big for me personally.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
It's just so damn tiring that everything has to be 'warz'.

Thing is, they always used to have gameplay demos, it's only the last year or two it's been trailer-trailer-trailer-trailer. I think they've got a bit too hung up on "let's show as many games as we can," which, while admirable, means you don't get a chance to go into detail on anything.

Exactly! It used to be fine. They used to open with Halo 4 or Gears or a Tomb Raider game, I always loved that.

Halo Infinite is one that really, really needs to be shown off. Not a MP match but a few minutes from the campaign, blow us away please. I can't imagine that people on Twitter haven't complained to Xbox or Phil Spencer Twitter about this already.

A trailer barely showing gameplay gives us no indication at all of what the game will be like, but a good 5 minutes (or 10 for some games) will build up excitement for damn sure. Hopefully we'll get a few nice gameplay segments of brand new games at E3. They need to open with a bang, meaning Halo gameplay.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
It better be Destiny Halo. You know except good. I wanna roam around and find random groups of covenant to defeat. Warthog runs scattered throughout the world.
Halo Infinite has a ton of potential. Halo's multiplayer has always been great, so I hope we just see more refinement there. It's definitely the campaign that I feel could be expanded upon.

I hope they take some cues from AC Odyssey/Origins. These games are: large scope games, with interesting narratives, that provide a multitude of gameplay scenarios and experiences.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Thinking again about how PC users don't have to pay for XBL, but console users do. When XCloud +XGP comes online, mobile-only users won't be asked to pay for XBL also - surely that's baked into the cost of the mobile XGP sub? That's just too big a barrier to pay for XGP, Xcloud and XBL separately for mobile users - it would be included in the cost. So does anyone think that Phil will drop the XBL fee going forward for next-gen consoles, or will this be some kind of Xcloud subsidy for mobile/PC users, where console players get xcloud baked into the cost of XBL, but not XGP?

The entire point of Xcloud on mobiles is streaming XGP subs, if i'm not mistaken. If consoles are subsidising the other platforms Xcloud usage, that isn't particularly fair.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Probably a controversial opinion, but I don't mind CGI trailers. It's usually pretty clear when something is CGI or in engine, and it gives me an idea of the tone or the world building they're going for. I don't have any real expectations that the final product will look anything like that, but it is fun to imagine where they'll go with it.

I guess I'd prefer something in engine if given the choice, because then I'd get a better idea of the art style, but you can communicate the art style through a CGI trailer too. Basically as long as they're good trailers I don't care if it's CGI or in engine.

Really I'd love a nice quick CGI trailer for Fable at this point, just to set the tone, I appreciate the game is probably still a ways away, but having that question answered would be big for me personally.

Absolutely not an opinion I share with you, but that's fine. Two years ago Sony got quite some negativity for their E3 show but I enjoyed it. They showed gameplay of TLOU2, Spidey, Ghost of Tsushima and a few more. All managed to impress visually, as is the case most of the time with Sony gameplay demonstrations since they introduced PS4. Really hope MS goes back to this some more. Unless they just can't show any gameplay yet, a game that is just too early in development for example.

Had Bethesda now shown any gameplay at all during their show of Fallout 4 I wouldn't have nearly been as excited as I was then. But they showed ingame stuff, new stuff, combat scenes and so on. For Halo I hope they show us part of a level, some new baddies, some combat, etc.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
With Halo Infinite's potential as a live service, I don't think we'll have to worry about not getting enough Halo throughout the generation.

Halo: Infinite will receive Halo 5-like support, with the difference being that Infinite will be able to hold more content than Halo 5 could, since that game and its engine hit a content limit, as we've learned.

Good luck with that, because that ain't happening. Halo: Infinite won't be a Destiny-alike nor will it be Open World. I thought that one would have been pretty clear, after the Game Informer interview with Matt Booty, where he essentially said that people read too much into words like "Sandbox", which is absolutely true. People see "Sandbox" and immediately think Open World.

You'll probably get something like that, but I'm not sure if 343 is willing to turn Halo into a RPG.

"probably"? Based on what info?

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
Thinking again about how PC users don't have to pay for XBL, but console users do. When XCloud +XGP comes online, mobile-only users won't be asked to pay for XBL also - surely that's baked into the cost of the mobile XGP sub? That's just too big a barrier to pay for XGP, Xcloud and XBL separately for mobile users - it would be included in the cost. So does anyone think that Phil will drop the XBL fee going forward for next-gen consoles, or will this be some kind of Xcloud subsidy for mobile/PC users, where console players get xcloud baked into the cost of XBL, but not XGP?

The entire point of Xcloud on mobiles is streaming XGP subs, if i'm not mistaken. If consoles are subsidising the other platforms Xcloud usage, that isn't particularly fair.

After they announced that you'd be able to stream any games you already own, I wouldn't be surprised if streaming became part of XBL Gold. If you want game pass games, pay for that, if you just want to stream the games you own, or EA Access games, just pay for XBL Gold, if you want to stream game pass games, pay for either both or a unified Ultimate subscription.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

I actually quite like CG trailers - I think for me they kind of hark back to playing the PS1 FFs and wanting to see what the next cool FMV sequence will be like :D
I don't have a problem at all with them as announcement trailers, so long as they're well done and appropriately set expectations for tone/style/content, etc.

What I don't want, is for a game to have a second showing at a trade show that is another trailer. If a game's getting a second showing, at least show us a cutscene (a la Halo Infinite's E3 2019 showing).

Exactly! It used to be fine. They used to open with Halo 4 or Gears or a Tomb Raider game, I always loved that.

Halo Infinite is one that really, really needs to be shown off. Not a MP match but a few minutes from the campaign, blow us away please. I can't imagine that people on Twitter haven't complained to Xbox or Phil Spencer Twitter about this already.

A trailer barely showing gameplay gives us no indication at all of what the game will be like, but a good 5 minutes (or 10 for some games) will build up excitement for damn sure. Hopefully we'll get a few nice gameplay segments of brand new games at E3. They need to open with a bang, meaning Halo gameplay.

They had a gameplay demo for Halo 5 as well, showing the Sunaion level where you play as Locke, grab a plasma caster, and then fight the warden.

I think a gameplay demo for Halo Infinite at E3 2020 is a given (though I thought that about Gears 5 last year, god knows what they were thinking there. They've surely noted the backlash to that).

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Halo: Infinite will receive Halo 5-like support, with the difference being that Infinite will be able to hold more content than Halo 5 could, since that game and its engine hit a content limit, as we've learned.

Good luck with that, because that ain't happening. Halo: Infinite won't be a Destiny-alike nor will it be Open World. I thought that one would have been pretty clear, after the Game Informer interview with Matt Booty, where he essentially said that people read too much into words like "Sandbox", which is absolutely true. People see "Sandbox" and immediately think Open World.

"probably"? Based on what info?
Calm down. We're just having some fun. I don't actually expect it to be Destiny Halo. I'm sorry I offended you.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017

Agreed

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't be bothered to create a new thread and go through all this again, but the DF article "In Theory: Can Microsoft deliver next-gen experiences while still supporting Xbox One?" Makes a good point about Cyber Punk. If that can be released on XB1 with how good it looks on PC, is there really anything to worry about?

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I can't be bothered to create a new thread and go through all this again, but the DF article "In Theory: Can Microsoft deliver next-gen experiences while still supporting Xbox One?" Makes a good point about Cyber Punk. If that can be released on XB1 with how good it looks on PC, is there really anything to worry about?

I remember i saw someone said "wait for DF telling us how this strategy won't work".
I guess that person may going to bash DF now lol.

Oct 25, 2017

I mean, maybe? That's the whole point of the article. It's clear people want to put the head in the sand about what the crossgen can do in relation to limiting Game Design in this thread, but it's certainly a possibility™. While i'm not too worried about it, i'm certainly not a fan of the strategy either.

AOE4 is a game that i really don't think that could run on a Xbox One S console because of how intensive RTS's are on CPU generally, so a limiting factor 100% exists. The games will talk for themselves in the end, though

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, maybe? That's the whole point of the article. It's clear people want to put the head in the sand about what the crossgen can do in relation to limiting Game Design in this thread, but it's certainly a possibility™. While i'm not too worried about it, i'm certainly not a fan of the strategy either.

AOE4 is a game that i really don't think that could run on a Xbox One S console because of how intensive RTS's are on CPU generally, so a limiting factor 100% exists. The games will talk for themselves in the end, though
"Maybe" it right word because all we can to do is wait and see what Microsoft will offer us for this and next year.
But somehow games like Halo Infinite is already "looks outdated" according era.

Oct 25, 2017
"Maybe" it right word because all we can to do is wait and see what Microsoft will offer us for this and next year.
But somehow games like Halo Infinite is already "looks outdated" according era.

Well, that is Era being Era. We haven't seen any gameplay of Halo Infinite and all the in-engine stuff looks incredible. I don't think for a moment that we won't get amazing looking games even taking crossgen into account, but i do feel that the limited CPU of the One S can hinder some aspects when we talk about ambition.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

I'm with you. I thought one of the slower parts of the absolutely excellent 2018 E3 was the Division 2 gameplay demo. It wasn't a bad demo, but gameplay always drags. The faked anthem demo was much better, but still. I think the point is that even with gameplay, I want it to be short and sweet. And lots of times, I'd rather have a good trailer, even if it's mostly CGI. We should definitely have MORE gameplay, and I agree it was a mistake not to show off anything about Gears 5 and hope they don't do that with Halo Infinite, but I also don't think it was THAT BAD either.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that is Era being Era. We haven't seen any gameplay of Halo Infinite and all the in-engine stuff looks incredible. I don't think for a moment that we won't get amazing looking games even taking crossgen into account, but i do feel that the limited CPU of the One S can hinder some aspects when we talk about ambition.
I think the "biggest" issues for the XB1 will be split screen, but they can simply make this mode only for XSX and PC.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

I don't really understand the argument, but maybe someone with technical knowledge can explain. We've been running RTS games with hundreds of units since the mid/late 1990s, on single core 400MHz CPUs. Wouldn't running an RTS on XB1S - with 6 cores at 1700Mhz - just mean turning down some combination of graphics or reducing AI (e.g. coarser grained unit pathing, if that's a thing)?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really understand the argument, but maybe someone with technical knowledge can explain. We've been running RTS games with hundreds of units since the mid/late 1990s, on single core 400MHz CPUs. Wouldn't running an RTS on XB1S - with 6 cores at 1700Mhz - just mean turning down some combination of graphics or reducing AI (e.g. coarser grained unit pathing, if that's a thing)?

The complexity of the visuals of these units have changed quite a bit since then, though. Draw distance, polygon count, animations, IA behaviour, physics. You can't compare something like Starcraft to, say, Total War: Three Kingdoms

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
AoE4 isnt coming to Xbox One S. Its not even announced yet for console and AoE4 for PC is already a 2021 game.
So not sure why we are even talking about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.