• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redesigned83

Jul 9, 2018
I ask myself the same question...

ZQRh4St.jpg
sexiest thing I've seen in my life

Razdek

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft putting everything into E3 and then pretty much non-existent at all the conferences after. Hopefully they actually put some effort into the Paris and Tokyo game shows and other events as well.

As others have said queuing up trailers to say the have 'X' many games to show won't cut it and we want to see gameplay of games.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I think that's their mandate when it comes to first party games, don't think they can force third party games to follow that though. I think that decision would be up to the third party publishers.

Perhaps third party publishers will patch the Xbox games since they will be backwards compatible, but I wouldn't put it past them to charge for next Gen patches.

It'll work one way, Xbox One to Xbox for every game, third parties won't have to make it work the other way if they don't want. And strictly speaking they won't have to update their games unless they want to, but I'd imagine most of the big publishers and developers will do it, at least for games coming out near the launch. Means people are a lot less likely to skip it and it means new people more likely to buy it down the road, a few years later on sale or whenever.

I doubt anyone will be charging for what's going to certainly be mostly graphics patches. Not many people will be willing to put in a ton of work to drastically enhance or update games to next gen in any way besides making them look prettier so that they can continue to stand up and sell for a few years.

Conjecture, sure. There's not really precedent, not on this level. Maybe we'll get Cyberpunk 2.0 in a few years with improved AI and more NPCs and deeper simulations, like with GTA V this gen, but probably we'll just get a ray tracing patch and updated textures.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
For ages I've seen these reports of sale spikes from games on Game Pass and wondered why. Like who is buying a game they have access too. Now I get it. After not playing it for ages I wanted to jump back into Ashen, I'm crap at Souls games but really enjoyed Ashen's take on it by adding a bit of chill to the genre (even though I was again crap). But it's not on Game Pass anymore. Which means it's not discounted to Game Pass subs. I've made a terrible mistake.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
For ages I've seen these reports of sale spikes from games on Game Pass and wondered why. Like who is buying a game they have access too. Now I get it. After not playing it for ages I wanted to jump back into Ashen, I'm crap at Souls games but really enjoyed Ashen's take on it by adding a bit of chill to the genre (even though I was again crap). But it's not on Game Pass anymore. Which means it's not discounted to Game Pass subs. I've made a terrible mistake.
Let's take ashen as an example. Without gamepass it would have had less buzz. Less people would know about it. Which results in less sales.

But with it coming to gamepass it it forced me to play the game, a game I never would have bought. I loved it. I convinced 2 of my friends to buy the game. They could have talked about the game in their circle bringing in more players. That's the gamepass effect.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm not a big fan of Microsoft putting everything into E3 and then pretty much non-existent at all the conferences after. Hopefully they actually put some effort into the Paris and Tokyo game shows and other events as well.

As others have said queuing up trailers to say the have 'X' many games to show won't cut it and we want to see gameplay of games.
Sounds like someone used to Sony's cadence :p. If you've been paying attention, MS has blown Sony out of the water in terms of conference presence and announcements the last two years. (And the only reason they DIDN'T 3 years ago is because we're still waiting on the same big Sony games XD). MS going big at E3 has categorically not prevented them from having a lot at other shows.

Reminder that Sony didn't go THAT hard at Paris or Tokyo this year either (kinda, but not really). MS doesn't even go to those shows, really lol. Doesn't mean they didn't save some stuff for TGA, X019, gamescom.

Apr 3, 2018

Exact same situation for me. Really feeling the itch to play some Souls-lite but Ashen isn't on GP anymore. It's hard not pulling the trigger.

Hell, I'm about to buy the DLC for Goat Simulator because it's on sale and I can play the main game thanks to GP. Nevermind the fact I've never played a second of the game— it looks different and weird and I think my kid will crack up playing it.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

Well, there were announcements that they made when it came to X019 that were not made at E3. And they then followed that up with a console reveal and a game reveal at TGA 2019.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019

If we are to believe Phil, we should expect an exclusive game release every quarter from now on. If there's a show to showcase these games, then they'll attend. I would hope they would start making a bigger deal in Asia, because their worldwide marketing and distribution footprint is another big reason why it's 2:1 for Sony, sales-wise.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

You missed Gamescom, XO19 and TGA this year?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Did you miss what they did with X019? Even the TGAs?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
You missed Gamescom, XO19 and TGA this year?

yup. And Phil said that moving forward they'll try to have new stuff to show in the major events

From an interview at X019:

I love the fact we're here announcing three new IP, two from our internal studios. As I look forward, there's not a show I can look at where we're not gonna be announcing new games, just because of the breadth of studios we have.

www.eurogamer.net

The big XO19 interview: Xbox boss Phil Spencer on Game Pass, streaming and Project Scarlett

At Microsoft's big XO19 event in London yesterday, Xbox boss Phil Spencer told the gathered press all about Game Pass, …

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Sounds like someone used to Sony's cadence :p. If you've been paying attention, MS has blown Sony out of the water in terms of conference presence and announcements the last two years. (And the only reason they DIDN'T 3 years ago is because we're still waiting on the same big Sony games XD). MS going big at E3 has categorically not prevented them from having a lot at other shows.

Reminder that Sony didn't go THAT hard at Paris or Tokyo this year either (kinda, but not really). MS doesn't even go to those shows, really lol. Doesn't mean they didn't save some stuff for TGA, X019, gamescom.

Agreed. I read his post and thought the same thing.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like these... but I'd like to see them with the PEGI ratings stickers, and the retailer pricing labels.
They're beautiful, but I'd hate for that stuff to ruin them.
This is why it's hard for me to get worked up about these boxarts. Yeah, it looks nice, but like - it won't look like that, because there's regulations and readability and branding concerns to be catered to.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

According to Phil, they will likely have "one or two" new games announces at every major event for the foreseeable future. 15 studios create a lot of games, especially since they allow their teams going for smaller, experimental passion projects as well.

X019 (Everwild, Tell Me Why, Grounded) and TGA (Hellblade II + updates on announced games) started this.

Last edited:

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I'm a bit surprised XGP hasn't tried boosting Xbox's Asian presence by getting some studio in, say, Korea to work on HD remasters of the Mistwalker games.

Seems like a no-brainer to diversify their game selection, especially with GamePass.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Man, GDC is coming up soon huh.
New console GDC is always super interesting... not just for the rumors and leaks that come out of it, but even the presentations are fascinating insights into what's coming.
It's gonna be hard to get into some of those talks. It's already difficult to get in a good amount of talks during a regular GDC.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
Isnt this an old interview? I saw this posted yesterday as well, and it sounds like something he said a few months ago

It is an old interview. I don't know why outlets are reposting these so much over the last few days... I assume there is traffic to be generated but not enough being said by anyone to drive views and clicks so outlets are reposting to take advantage of interest and make up for the lack of info they have to give out.

Either way I think it's very irresponsible for an outlet to take interviews that might be several months old and repost them as a new article without VERY clearly clarifying that it's a repost. It just creates confusion and we should be able to rely on the media to inform, not create confusion for clicks.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
I'm just glad that the conversation about next gen is actually starting to ramp up. With the holiday season over there is nothing holding MS or Sony back and with multiple big events happening before the console releases we won't have to wait long for either to start talking.

Halo infinite can't be the only launch game. Anyone wanna guess what any other ones will be?

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
I'm just glad that the conversation about next gen is actually starting to ramp up. With the holiday season over there is nothing holding MS or Sony back and with multiple big events happening before the console releases we won't have to wait long for either to start talking.

Halo infinite can't be the only launch game. Anyone wanna guess what any other ones will be?

If they stick to history a racer should be within the launch line up.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Forza 8 seem highly likely to me. As I mentioned in the next-gen thread, getting Flight Sim on GamePass for launch would be a brilliant move. That's the kind of game that will blow the minds of even non-gamers as you fly past their houses, and it's a technical marvel that people will want to show off their new toy with, even if they wouldn't buy it outright. No idea if there's any possibility of it being ready in time, but I think it would create a real buzz around the new console if it is.

Unrelated: thanks all for the warm welcome.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Unfortunately Forza 7 is not on gamepass yet. Forza 8 seems to be a save bet as Forza works just too perfect as a graphics showcase. I wouldn't mind to see Project Gotham Racing make a return though.
I haven't really played many racing games in a while. Been meaning to start Horizon 4 but other games just came up. Recently GTAV =) just finished it so maybe I'll hit up horizon. Would be cool if they announce Forza 8 at the same time as announcing 7 being added to gamepass.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't really played many racing games in a while. Been meaning to start Horizon 4 but other games just came up. Recently GTAV =) just finished it so maybe I'll hit up horizon. Would be cool if they announce Forza 8 at the same time as announcing 7 being added to gamepass.
Forza 7 is likely never coming to Game Pass that's why it hasn't been on there. The licenses and deal was negotiated way before Game Pass was a thing.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018
The problem with older Forza is their licenses expire in 3-4 years, that's why they pull them out from the store.
FM7 released before the big push for GP, that's why I think it's not yet there.
Probably they changed how they get the licenses (either making it easier to renegotiate them or making deals for longer/unlimited time but paid yearly....) and that's why FH4 is on GP.
That or because it's there since launch it will stay for at least those 3-4 years.
If they put FM7 just to pull it from the service in a year people will start with "weren't MS 1st party games supposed to stay in the service???" and they probably don't want that

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Forza Horizon 4 is superb, and I say that as someone who, up until the release of 4, would have described themselves as someone who doesn't like racing games.

Maxroy

Dec 5, 2019
What are the chances of Inside Xbox coming back in 2020 as a must-see easily digestible format?

I'm not specifically asking for it to be torn apart to be another Direct/State of Play presentation but for the team to trim the fat ( episodes being under an hour and losing the live format) and more importantly actually having news.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany

I feel you. The downside of gamepass is actually that you can't play them all :D There is just not enough time.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Forza 7 is likely never coming to Game Pass that's why it hasn't been on there. The licensees and deal was negotiated way before Game Pass was a thing.
Even though it's an XGS? Do you mean like the licensees to use the cars? That would make more sense to me though I don't know how that type of deal works. Would be a real bummer if true. =(

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though it's an XGS? Do you mean like the licensees to use the cars? That would make more sense to me though I don't know how that type of deal works. Would be a real bummer if true. =(
All MS committed to is that first party games moving forward from the day they announced "First party will release day one on Game Pass" was exactly that. Games that were made before then aren't committed to that. It's why Forza Horizon 3 never hit Game Pass.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
They had some announcements at the fan fest and just unveiled their new console and Hellblade at the game awards.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
All MS committed to is that first party games moving forward from the day they announced "First party will release day one on Game Pass" was exactly that. Games that were made before then aren't committed to that. It's why Forza Horizon 3 never hit Game Pass.
True, I wouldn't be mad if those games never hit game pass just bummed.

Status
Not open for further replies.