• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
That's because the BC program is dealing with XSX compatibility, if they start back up with BC and enhancements then we may get movement on enhancing Lost Odyssey. If MS remasters Lost Odyssey then they want to maximize the revenue generated for an old ass game, and putting it on PC, Xbox, Game Pass and a Switch port will accomplish that. I could see the game be a huge hit on Swtich, and Xbox players won't care.
The fact that they're prioritizing BC with the Series X is the reason why I don't see it happening for a while if at all. Would gladly be wrong if they start up the X-Enhancement program again next gen and that's among the first titles.

As far as remastering LO, I'm sure MS will do whatever is appropriate to make sure they get their money on it but porting it on the Switch seems a bit random. Not that I can't see them doing it since there's precedent with other titles but you already pointed out other ways they can make their money back.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
I've beem hoping for a while that showtime would announce a partnership for the halo show. I know people say shows like homeland have far reach but I hugely disagree. I never heard of it before this thread and it's ratings where terrible.

I'd like to see them partner with Netflix, amazon prime, or Hulu.maybe the show could drop on One of those once it's finished airing on showtime.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I've beem hoping for a while that showtime would announce a partnership for the halo show. I know people say shows like homeland have far reach but I hugely disagree. I never heard of it before this thread and it's ratings where terrible.

I'd like to see them partner with Netflix, amazon prime, or Hulu.maybe the show could drop on One of those once it's finished airing on showtime.
At the very least for international viewers. I don't even know how I'd get access to showtime in Aus without paying out the rear end for Foxtel

coma

Oct 28, 2017
I watched the first two seasons of Homeland and legit didn't even realize the show was still on the air.

Also, the show is probably going to suck, so maybe less viewers is better.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Just finished Hellblade.
That last scene was pretty fucking great! That music!!! One of the best set pieces I've seen in a game. Hellblade 2 will surely fill the AAA category players ask from Microsoft ;)

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Hellblade.
That last scene was pretty fucking great! That music!!! One of the best set pieces I've seen in a game. Hellblade 2 will surely fill the AAA category players ask from Microsoft ;)

Not Those AAA Games™

But whatever, Ninja Theory makes cool games and whatever they make will be really good, peanut gallery be damned.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

There is a showtime add on on both Amazon Prime and Hulu, Hulu is only an American thing but Amazon should be at least an option for international viewers that want to watch it VOD.

Although internationally who knows, a lot of network shows stream on Netflix internationally that aren't on Netflix in the US, and HBO distributes through Sky in the UK still I think.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I hope Fable 4 will have GOT/LOTR vibe, it could be incredible.

What? No no no. Fable with GoT politics, violence and incest and rape? Uh, no thanks.

Fable doesn't have to remain as silly but it definitely needs to stay whimsical. Even LOTR is a much too serious vibe for that series.

To me a more apt comparison would be the Harry Potter universe. Real sense of danger with cool creatures but a more whimsical take on fantasy. No gritty grim Fable.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I hope Fable 4 will have GOT/LOTR vibe, it could be incredible.

I'm not so sure, GOT definitely not. It's too dark and grim and just, no. Fable shouldn't be chasing fantasy tropes no matter it what it does. Especially since the fantasy RPG landscape is about to be pretty stacked, Fable has to standout somehow, just like the original. Zig when they zag as they said at BBB.

Maybe LOTR, but Lord of the Rings is... Well, I'm not sure what vibe that is. The Peter Jackson movies are mostly great, and I'm not allowed to speak a bad word about Peter Jackson, but they're sort of generic fantasy wise. I guess that's like calling Doom a generic shooter, but here I am. It does stand out from the more darker gritty modern fantasy landscape, which is good, but that's because.. well... It's old.

What? No no no. Fable with GoT politics, violence and incest and rape? Uh, no thanks.

Fable doesn't have to remain as silly but it definitely needs to stay whimsical. Even LOTR is a much too serious vibe for that series.

To me a more apt comparison would be the Harry Potter universe. Real sense of danger with cool creatures but a more whimsical take on fantasy. No gritty grim Fable.

It's funny that you mention Harry Potter, Fable sometimes gets compared to it and Dene Carter isn't a huge fan of it. It's not the worst example though.

In a weird way I think The Witcher is actually a good example. Not the games, the show. Because at first glance it's like "oh, this is gonna be Game of Thrones" but then Dandelion starts jamming and Geralt goes "Fuck" and it's actually a pretty fun ride. It has some very dark moments certainly, but so did Fable. It's also good because it's a bit more of a personal story, at least so far. It's different though, which is nice.

To me Fable stood out in the day for a few reasons. Obviously the whimsy and silly humor, the sim elements were a huge part of it, but it was also a pretty personal story, pretty ahead of its time in that respect. Some of those things should remain in tact for even a reboot. I agree that Playground should do their own thing, but if you're gonna call it Fable, you've got to do something to make it Fable.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
There is a showtime add on on both Amazon Prime and Hulu, Hulu is only an American thing but Amazon should be at least an option for international viewers that want to watch it VOD.

Although internationally who knows, a lot of network shows stream on Netflix internationally that aren't on Netflix in the US, and HBO distributes through Sky in the UK still I think.
I just want to see halo have the chance to do what the Witcher tv show is doing. Honestly that's a good show but it isn't amazing. As it stands with halo being on showtime if it is going to get half the attention of the Witcher it needs to be a 10/10 show. A 8/10 show won't get any buzz from that network.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that you mention Harry Potter, Fable sometimes gets compared to it and Dene Carter isn't a huge fan of it. It's not the worst example though.

In a weird way I think The Witcher is actually a good example. Not the games, the show. Because at first glance it's like "oh, this is gonna be Game of Thrones" but then Dandelion starts jamming and Geralt goes "Fuck" and it's actually a pretty fun ride. It has some very dark moments certainly, but so did Fable. It's also good because it's a bit more of a personal story, at least so far. It's different though, which is nice.

To me Fable stood out in the day for a few reasons. Obviously the whimsy and silly humor, the sim elements were a huge part of it, but it was also a pretty personal story, pretty ahead of its time in that respect. Some of those things should remain in tact for even a reboot. I agree that Playground should do their own thing, but if you're gonna call it Fable, you've got to do something to make it Fable.

Yeah The Witcher TV series vibe could work. Has a good mix of fantasy, drama, monsters, relationships and humour. Fable would prolly have less boobs though.

Xplainin

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
So my guesses for MS aquisitions.
Mostly likely
- IO Interactive. I think this will go ahead. Currently they are putting their games up on Azure. They have a history of money problems after the split from Enix. They sacked a heap of people, and I think they will welcome the ability to have some security under MS. MS gets the Hitman franchise.
- Asoba Studios. MS will make them the in-house Flight Simulator studio. They are pretty tight with MS and it will be their second studio in France.

My wish list
- Techland. Why not? They are talented, have a good franchise in Dying Light.
- 4A Games. Pretty tight with MS, and it would be good to get exclusive rights to the Metro series. U would like another FPS on Xbox, and this could be the one.
- Remedy. Long shot with it being a public company and all, but at least MS should get Remedy to make another Alan Wake exclusive for Xbox.
- Zenimax. Go big or go home. Rumours about Zenimax looking to sell could mean an opportunity for MS to grab some of the best developers like id, Arkane etc in one foul swoop. All the exclusive IPs , the talent, the everything.
Make it happen Phil, make it happen.

Last edited:

Parker Petrov

Nov 1, 2017
Look like Playground Games will have a propriety engine for Both Forza Horizon and Action RPG 👀

And my hope for the next studios acquisitions :

-Embark Studios
-JP Games
-Swery Studio
-Polska studio
-Asobo studio

#20by2020

But primary JP Games/Embark studios

I have no idea the probability but for a jp studio I hope nihon falcom. They make great Jrpg's.

Oct 25, 2017
So my guesses for MS aquisitions.
Mostly likely
- IO Interactive. I think this will go ahead. Currently they are putting their games up on Azure. They have a history of money problems after the split from Enix. They sacked a heap of people, and I think they will welcome the ability to have some security under MS. MS gets the Hitman franchise.
- Asoba Studios. MS will make them the in-house Flight Simulator studio. They are pretty tight with MS and it will be their second studio in France.

My wish list
- Techland. Why not? They are talented, have a good franchise in Dying Light.
- 4A Games. Pretty tight with MS, and it would be good to get exclusive rights to the Metro series. U would like another FPS on Xbox, and this could be the one.
- Remedy. Long shot with it being a public company and all, but at least MS should get Remedy to make another Alan Wake exclusive for Xbox.
- Zenimax. Go big or go home. Rumours about Zenimax looking to sell could mean an opportunity for MS to grab some of the best developers like id, Arkane etc in one foul swoop. All the exclusive IPs , the talent, the everything.
Make it happen Phil, make it happen.

Most of those won't happen but i would like to point especifically to IO that has just signed a deal with Warner Bros for their next game.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The fact that they're prioritizing BC with the Series X is the reason why I don't see it happening for a while if at all. Would gladly be wrong if they start up the X-Enhancement program again next gen and that's among the first titles.

As far as remastering LO, I'm sure MS will do whatever is appropriate to make sure they get their money on it but porting it on the Switch seems a bit random. Not that I can't see them doing it since there's precedent with other titles but you already pointed out other ways they can make their money back.
If Microsoft is looking to acquire some lesser known studio in Japan or Korea, imho, a good first project would be to have them remaster Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon.

That would make sense if they are looking at the "build from the ground up" approach. If they think they can just jump into the market by acquiring someone who's already well established, this probably wouldn't apply.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I disagree. I want something that holds weight.

It should have humor, but it doesn't need whimsy and silliness.

I can do without the farting and some of the gross out stuff, but Fable can keep the whimsy and some of the silly and still cary weight. The original Fables had some pretty heavy notes. The first game goes from "Are you just gonna stand there like a lemon?" to Jack of Blades murdering your father, imprisoning your mother and blinding your sister before giving her to a group of bandits. And the ending of the first game was pretty weighty, the second and third kind of depend on your perspective, but they weren't just silly puppet shows.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh i hope fable doesnt have stupid breaking weapons. Id love to have the legendary weapons from 2 and 3 back where it actually is a reward to get ibstead of being a piece of garbage that breaks after you fight one monster.

Also keep the slow climbing over samey looking mountains out of fable.

Fable does not need a big world imo. Playground already has an ace in the hole with real time seasons from forza, just make a decent sized world with real time seasons... Have it go from spring to winter and change the landscape significantly while you do it.

Basically innovate dont just copy zelda and the witcher

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
If Microsoft is looking to acquire some lesser known studio in Japan or Korea, imho, a good first project would be to have them remaster Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon.

That would make sense if they are looking at the "build from the ground up" approach. If they think they can just jump into the market by acquiring someone who's already well established, this probably wouldn't apply.

The only way to bring back Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon is with Sakaguchi involved. Doesn't have to mean acquiring Mistwalker, but they should have some creative input.

I'd obviously love some first party Japanese / Korean stuff, acquisitions and partnerships, but I also hope once Xbox has closed the gap a bit with playstation in terms of 3rd party efforts and long running series, we get a couple of publisher partnerships like back in the 360 days with Infinite Undiscovery, Magna Carta 2 and Last Remnant.

In all honesty, whatever Playground is working on, I'm excited to finally see it. Fable or not.

I also agree with you. I talk a lot of shit about what Fable should be and what it is and whatever, but I just want to see what they're doing. Even if it's not my Fable I'm sure it'll be great, and whatever they do won't make the old games any less special to me.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
So, about artstation posts...artists that work on a studio are almost certainly not supposed to post concept art they create for an unannounced project while it remains unannounced.

This is not to say that Playground isn't working on Fable, but anything their artists are posting online right now should just be stuff they are doing in their spare time.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh i hope fable doesnt have stupid breaking weapons. Id love to have the legendary weapons from 2 and 3 back where it actually is a reward to get ibstead of being a piece of garbage that breaks after you fight one monster.

Also keep the slow climbing over samey looking mountains out of fable.

Fable does not need a big world imo. Playground already has an ace in the hole with real time seasons from forza, just make a decent sized world with real time seasons... Have it go from spring to winter and change the landscape significantly while you do it.

Basically innovate dont just copy zelda and the witcher
I definitely think The Witcher 3 is going to have a big influence. Also you're asking a lot for their first RPG game to have real time seasons.

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
Shinobi said in the next-gen thread that Playground's RPG is "very far along" but he doesn't expect it this year. Excellent news if that's next year already.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
So, about artstation posts...artists that work on a studio are almost certainly not supposed to post concept art they create for an unannounced project while it remains unannounced.

This is not to say that Playground isn't working on Fable, but anything their artists are posting online right now should just be stuff they are doing in their spare time.

Correct, anything from game they would have been given permission to post and it would have the name of the game on it. Generally they post stuff after a game is released.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Shinobi said in the next-gen thread that Playground's RPG is "very far along" but he doesn't expect it this year. Excellent news if that's next year already.

So probably a reveal this E3...

So they're working on it since 2017, and according to GING-SAMA, it's a proprietary engine. I still think that it's a 2022 title, giving it 5 years development time, just like Halo Infinite (and 343 also had to develop a new engine for it).

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven

I can do without the farting and some of the gross out stuff, but Fable can keep the whimsy and some of the silly and still cary weight. The original Fables had some pretty heavy notes. The first game goes from "Are you just gonna stand there like a lemon?" to Jack of Blades murdering your father, imprisoning your mother and blinding your sister before giving her to a group of bandits. And the ending of the first game was pretty weighty, the second and third kind of depend on your perspective, but they weren't just silly puppet shows.

Keyword is "some". I could deal with some humor and bits of silliness but I'd prefer the plot and narrative to be more mature throughout.

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
OMG really? I'll be honest I've lost interest in the All Star thing so I always skip it. Really Ben Bishop should've been our rep but, you know, Bennington and it being in St Louis
Silfverberg was selected but he and his wife were having a baby so he couldn't make it. The league didn't bother replacing him with someone else on the team lol

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
There's no Probably for this E3. MS will have to show all their cards. Ready or Not.

Disagree that they have to show everything (why?). I don't expect to see Obsidian or inXile new AAA projects for instance. Certainly no Gears 6 teaser.

But I'm pretty sure we will see Fable :) And there are other wildcards like Compulsion and State of Decay 3. E3 speculation season should be fun!

Last edited:
1 gift from FairyEmpire

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 1 gift from Deleted member 2254!

This is a three-day raffle that will expire in 72 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

Deleted member 2254 said:
Xbox fans, let's put some spice into this end of January! Winner gets a digital copy of the latest Call Of Duty for Xbox, enhanced for Xbox One X too. Giveaway lasts 72 hours. Good luck everybody!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Xbox One Xbox One: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019) - Won by christocolus christocolus (65 entries)

Status
Not open for further replies.