• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I wonder what other Japanese games we've been missing out on we can expect to come to Xbox. Trials of Mana? I'd love to see that come to Xbox but do far it's only PS4 and Switch. We know Phil cringes everytime a game skips Xbox and it's clear he's doing his best.

Other than the Square games that we're still missing, I really hope this year or early in to next gen we start seeing support from Level-5 and Nihon Falcom. Those two studios would make a huge impact to me, long legacies and some beloved series between them.

And of course I hope Platinums journey in to self publishing includes launching games on Xbox.

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Gotta say I'm worried about 5G. Coverage for real 5G (mmWave) is gonna be suspect at best since AT&T and Verizon are putting low effort into it and without it you aren't getting 10 gigabit speeds. I think it's too soon for Xbox to make any type of decisions based on it.
That's how it was when carriers launched 4G LTE. I was working at Sprint during that time and remember articles of them boasting scores for download speeds up to crazy amounts that blew my mind during that time Real world results would differ, but i'd save give them time to build more and create more efficiencies before giving in on doom and gloom. However, reading up one each carrier, AT&T seems to be a bit behind.

Now that the tmobile and sprint merger is approved, all of those frequencies will be used for their 5G footprint. (tmo/sprint = 2.5Ghz + 28Ghz + Sub-600Mhz. Verizon = 28Ghz + 39Ghz) . Many probably dont even know this but a lot of carriers rent competing carrier towers in many locations. If i remember correctly, the one carrier who has towers in almost every place imaginable is Verizon. Verizon will probably always have the best coverage/speed balance overall even if another carrier says they are faster or whatever.

i'd give it about 1-2 years. (exact timing when they can push xcloud hard. especially when their content will be at a higher bar. it all makes sense to me) So i think the opposite and see how their roadmap includes the technologies maturity as they ride along side it.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Other than the Square games that we're still missing, I really hope this year or early in to next gen we start seeing support from Level-5 and Nihon Falcom. Those two studios would make a huge impact to me, long legacies and some beloved series between them.

And of course I hope Platinums journey in to self publishing includes launching games on Xbox.

Oh absolutely, now you're talking. Level 5 would mean Ni No Kuni 1 and 2 and I would love that to happen. Yakuza once was a franchise that seemed to good to be true, especially when Sega flat out said no and then it actually was confirmed for Xbox. Never say never I guess!

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I'm going to try to sound as little dramatic as possible with this but its something I want to be open about. I've been thinking about it for the last weeks/months and I'm simply not enjoying the site as much as I want to enjoy it. I'll definitely be there for the BE/WL3 and Tactics OTs (and maybe something cool to end the year with 😉 ). I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in this OT and, of course, this community for the past two years ever since I joined ERA. Even though the creation of the Gears 5 OT went pretty hectic, I was incredibly happy to see the reception to something I poured hard work into. I just hope that my love for this community re-ignites by taking it back several steps.

🍻

Also sorry if I killed your bandwidth with the Gears 5 OT. Maybe I should've brought it up sooner though but hey better late than never am I right!

I was LTTP and didn't join much of the discussion, but your Gears 5 OT was great. It's all supposed to be about having fun, so do what you must in order to enjoy the things that you want, be that posting less and playing more... or continue venturing into writting articles. Just always remember that you should be having fun.

Last edited:

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Oh wow! got the invite and they sent me the app to my ios device. that was quick! LOL now i need to get me a controller. lmao

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I'm going to try to sound as little dramatic as possible with this but its something I want to be open about. I've been thinking about it for the last weeks/months and I'm simply not enjoying the site as much as I want to enjoy it. I'll definitely be there for the BE/WL3 and Tactics OTs (and maybe something cool to end the year with 😉 ). I've thoroughly enjoyed my time in this OT and, of course, this community for the past two years ever since I joined ERA. Even though the creation of the Gears 5 OT went pretty hectic, I was incredibly happy to see the reception to something I poured hard work into. I just hope that my love for this community re-ignites by taking it back several steps.

🍻

Also sorry if I killed your bandwidth with the Gears 5 OT. Maybe I should've brought it up sooner though but hey better late than never am I right!

Oh no, who else gonna be blessing us with gorgeous gifs and amazingly crafted OTs :/

Hope to see you back soon mate :D

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
That's how it was when carriers launched 4G LTE. I was working at Sprint during that time and remember articles of them boasting scores for download speeds up to crazy amounts that blew my mind during that time Real world results would differ, but i'd save give them time to build more and create more efficiencies before giving in on doom and gloom. However, reading up one each carrier, AT&T seems to be a bit behind.

Now that the tmobile and sprint merger is approved, all of those frequencies will be used for their 5G footprint. (tmo/sprint = 2.5Ghz + 28Ghz + Sub-600Mhz. Verizon = 28Ghz + 39Ghz) . Many probably dont even know this but a lot of carriers rent competing carrier towers in many locations. If i remember correctly, the one carrier who has towers in almost every place imaginable is Verizon. Verizon will probably always have the best coverage/speed balance overall even if another carrier says they are faster or whatever.

i'd give it about 1-2 years. (exact timing when they can push xcloud hard. especially when their content will be at a higher bar. it all makes sense to me) So i think the opposite and see how their roadmap includes the technologies maturity as they ride along side it.
Interesting. I'll attempt to share your optimism for the future, 4G absolutely improved later on. I recall getting a Droid RAZR, and being blown away by the speed at the time, which was better than my DSL. I just worry as ever for rural customers and gamers seeing as how even 4G isn't that great for them.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
With now also Geoff Keighley not being at E3 and Sony again not present there I wonder if this year could be Microsoft's last time as well. But if that's the case I DO hope they will have a yearly stage show though in June, just not under the E3 name. I would be fine with that. With hopefully EA, Ubi, SE, Sony, Nintendo and Bethesda doing the same. If all these shows will stop...that would be real sad.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
With now also Geoff Keighley not being at E3 and Sony again not present there I wonder if this year could be Microsoft's last time as well. But if that's the case I DO hope they will have a yearly stage show though in June, just not under the E3 name. I would be fine with that. With hopefully EA, Ubi, SE, Sony, Nintendo and Bethesda doing the same. If all these shows will stop...that would be real sad.

Phil Spencer is part of the ESA board of directors, so I can't see Microsoft leaving E3 anytime soon.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
tbh i wish they do one Big Even (reveal of Xbox SX and 1P and 3P that will be on platform on april) and stay away from E3 so they can also do their thing at their Own Pace

Phil Spencer is part of the ESA board of directors, so I can't see Microsoft leaving E3 anytime soon.
same with Sony too

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
But even if they were to leave, nothing is stopping them from having a stage show

Yea even if they left there's plenty of venues.

They could move X/X0 events to May/June/July. The Game Awards and Gamescom provide different live venues for announcements. And shows like Inside Xbox, etc. & platforms like mixer/twitch/youtube let them reach the consumer at home.

I knew Bowser and Spencer were on the board, didn't know about Sony. Who do they have on the board, Jim Ryan or someone else?

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
Interesting. I'll attempt to share your optimism for the future, 4G absolutely improved later on. I recall getting a Droid RAZR, and being blown away by the speed at the time, which was better than my DSL. I just worry as ever for rural customers and gamers seeing as how even 4G isn't that great for them.
Yeah, only way Cell towers really shine is when there is a lot of infrastructure or else they have to make a "fake" tree, or water tower, or buy a piece of someone's land to set something up to cover an area. Even then it might not be worth it to the carrier if it will only cover 10-20 people while the same cost could cover hundreds else where. tough stuff but a reality =/.

I think we will really get into the future, with empowering the Internet of Things, when the next generation of wireless tech comes out. 6G or whatever they'll call it. But for now, this is a step into that direction i look forward to. Similar to how i also look forward to our first step into quantum computers and the recent accomplishments with that. i love technology! lol

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
tbh i wish they do one Big Even (reveal of Xbox SX and 1P and 3P that will be on platform on april) and stay away from E3 so they can also do their thing at their Own Pace

same with Sony too

I would be fine with that too. But this year they will have their show.

They could move X/X0 events to May/June/July. The Game Awards and Gamescom provide different live venues for announcements. And shows like Inside Xbox, etc. & platforms like mixer/twitch/youtube let them reach the consumer at home.

I knew Bowser and Spencer were on the board, didn't know about Sony. Who do they have on the board, Jim Ryan or someone else?

Yep, nothing wrong with that. But as long as they hold their stage shows. There's just something special about those shows. Inside Xbox is fun and all but nothing too special. The yearly E3 show where they have a stage, big happening etc, is always something to look forward to in my opinion.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
In all honesty though, Microsoft has left E3 completely in everything other than name. The ESA and Xbox list themselves among the E3 presentations, but just like EA they aren't actually at the site. IIRC, Xbox didn't even have a booth on the floor, it was just Mixer. Even with them skipping out on the normal festivities over at E3, it is nice to see them still supporting the event and holding their own events on their own terms.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018

iirc it was layden before but i don't know now but Probably Jim

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
In all honesty though, Microsoft has left E3 completely in everything other than name. The ESA and Xbox list themselves among the E3 presentations, but just like EA they aren't actually at the site. IIRC, Xbox didn't even have a booth on the floor, it was just Mixer. Even with them skipping out on the normal festivities over at E3, it is nice to see them still supporting the event and holding their own events on their own terms.

Yep, that's true. This actually increases the chances significantly that if they were to completely drop out from E3 they'd still continue with these shows.

Jun 22, 2018
Microsoft's own location is right across the street from the main convention hall. So, different building technically, but same event and the E3 attendees can easily go to Microsoft's stuff there. It's not enough of a distinction to cause one to say Xbox isn't part of E3.

CRZYSPZ

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Jan 3, 2018
Fargo, ND
Microsoft's own location is right across the street from the main convention hall. So, different building technically, but same event and the E3 attendees can easily go to Microsoft's stuff there. It's not enough of a distinction to cause one to say Xbox isn't part of E3.
It still highly impacts the ESA though, since Microsoft is no longer renting floor space and taking a decent amount of the crowd out of the convention center.
I would say they're only involved with E3 in name and that's just to help the event stay relevant. If it wasn't for Microsoft having their own theater, I'm not sure if they would be physically over at that location either.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
I always wanted a Gears game set in the first weeks of E-Day. Open the game with a emotional tone, where the player is working / shopping and then a hole opens on the ground and hell breaks loose. The main character being a civilian who have to survive and escape the city, scavenging ammo and weapons from battlefield of COG V Locusts, maybe put some cameos (for example being evacuated by Dom Team before he freed Marcus from prison). RPG mechanics like weapon specializations (increases the more you use a weapon, you can only specialize in 3 weapons, increasing your damage, accuracy and critical with them), Cover Perk (increases your damage protection while using covers with each point spent, you can start creating your own covers while fighting, using ATMs, tables, etc)...

Gears world is rich in possibilities to do amazing spin offs.
Ages ago I had a similar thought for a Halo game set on a planet during the first wave of Covenant invasions. Play as a civilian or scientist or something without military training. Even a Grunt is a massive challenge. An Elite is a death sentence. My idea was probably more of a stealth or even horror game.
I can't imagine a more upsetting idea than Obsidian or inXile making more Gears of War games.

Obsidian alone has four IPs of their own creation from the last five years (Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, The Outer Worlds, and Grounded). Let them be, man.

A major reason these studios were acquired were to let Microsoft release games that aren't Halo/Gears/Forza. Tim Schafer's cameo at E3 says it all lol.
Look, you are definitely correct. I wouldn't want that type of thing happening unless Obsidian (or whoever) were actually hyped and proposed it themselves. Just because it isn't in a new world doesn't mean the game can't be great. I would argue Obsidian's best games (New Vegas and KOTOR 2) have been in other people's worlds (although considering their pedigree there is a very strong argument that Fallout is their universe). But yeah, as a whole I agree with you

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I just saw an article about a possible feature of the PS5, a digital assistant that would give you advice in games and suggest activities in game you might enjoy and I can't stop thinking about how much I don't want anything like that.

A few years ago I could definitely see Xbox trying something like that with Cortana, but I now not so much. It'd be interesting though if PS5 launches with such a drastically different stand out feature, it could go the way of the Wii's motion controls, or the way of the Xbox One's Kinect.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw an article about a possible feature of the PS5, a digital assistant that would give you advice in games and suggest activities in game you might enjoy and I can't stop thinking about how much I don't want anything like that.

A few years ago I could definitely see Xbox trying something like that with Cortana, but I now not so much. It'd be interesting though if PS5 launches with such a drastically different stand out feature, it could go the way of the Wii's motion controls, or the way of the Xbox One's Kinect.

I've seen some AI like feature mentioned for Xbox in the past.

I think this was the first instance (not sure about other references to it): https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk

Ultimately, i don't think it would harm the experience of the consoles. Probably a suggested games, etc etc.

Dabi3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

you could just not use it

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018

I think this was the first instance (not sure about other references to it): https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk

Ultimately, i don't think it would harm the experience of the consoles. Probably a suggested games, etc etc.
This leak is super interesting. There's decently credible rumors that Microsoft at least made initial contact with almost all the studios listed (if we assume the studio that Microsoft was looking at in Poland is The Farm51) and the specs are shockingly close for someone to have guessed early last year. The games are pretty close as well (especially if The Initiative is really working on Perfect Dark), even though some in the know have claimed that Killer Instinct 2 is not in development. It's not totally out of the question that this has some validity. The weird thing about it is that someone would be in a position to know the specs for both consoles and Xbox's plans.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This leak is super interesting. There's decently credible rumors that Microsoft at least made initial contact with almost all the studios listed (if we assume the studio that Microsoft was looking at in Poland is The Farm51) and the specs are shockingly close for someone to have guessed early last year. The games are pretty close as well (especially if The Initiative is really working on Perfect Dark), even though some in the know have claimed that Killer Instinct 2 is not in development. It's not totally out of the question that this has some validity. The weird thing about it is that someone would be in a position to know the specs for both consoles and Xbox's plans.

What's crazy is it's from December 2018 (I think?) or Jan 2019. Like... damn.

Asobo is working with MS on Flight Sim. Platinum Games had discussions with MS for being bought. etc etc

They mention Bleeding Edge as a launch title, but... I think at this point Bleeding Edge wasn't announced? It was announced on June 13th.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017

man... this is the kind of AI that MS is probably gunning for:

www.youtube.com

Ubisoft's AI Learns To Compute Game Physics In Microseconds! ⚛️

❤️ Check out Weights & Biases here and sign up for a free demo: https://www.wandb.com/papersTheir blog post and their CodeSearchNet system are available here...

www.youtube.com

NVIDIA Vid2Vid: AI-Based Video-to-Video Synthesis!

The paper "Video-to-Video Synthesis" and its source code is available here:https://tcwang0509.github.io/vid2vid/https://github.com/NVIDIA/vid2vidPick up cool...

www.youtube.com

Artistic style transfer for videos

Style transfer for videos, as described in the paper "Artistic style transfer for videos" by Manuel Ruder, Alexey Dosovitskiy and Thomas Brox http://arxiv.or...

this type of AI

darthpaxton

Jun 20, 2018
What's crazy is it's from December 2018 (I think?) or Jan 2019. Like... damn.

Asobo is working with MS on Flight Sim. Platinum Games had discussions with MS for being bought. etc etc

They mention Bleeding Edge as a launch title, but... I think at this point Bleeding Edge wasn't announced? It was announced on June 13th.
It wasn't announced, but there was a trademark filing from Ninja Theory so we had some idea that it was coming.
Obviously Perfect Dark (IF The Initiative is truly working on it) won't be a launch title
For sure, but it's not unreasonable to think that it'd still be a talking point for Xbox, especially if we're seeing it at the console reveal or E3.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I am really wanting something completely new for the Series X. Would prefer a great RPG, something unique and fresh. A lot of games lately seemed to similar to other games. I would love a great mythical style RPG.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
I am really wanting something completely new for the Series X. Would prefer a great RPG, something unique and fresh. A lot of games lately seemed to similar to other games. I would love a great mythical style RPG.
Have playground games got the project for you! Probably

honestly I'd like to see MS become a jack of all trades. Make all the things

but please make PD a splinter cell in cyber punk

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
man... this is the kind of AI that MS is probably gunning for:

www.youtube.com

Ubisoft's AI Learns To Compute Game Physics In Microseconds! ⚛️

❤️ Check out Weights & Biases here and sign up for a free demo: https://www.wandb.com/papersTheir blog post and their CodeSearchNet system are available here...

www.youtube.com

NVIDIA Vid2Vid: AI-Based Video-to-Video Synthesis!

The paper "Video-to-Video Synthesis" and its source code is available here:https://tcwang0509.github.io/vid2vid/https://github.com/NVIDIA/vid2vidPick up cool...

www.youtube.com

Artistic style transfer for videos

Style transfer for videos, as described in the paper "Artistic style transfer for videos" by Manuel Ruder, Alexey Dosovitskiy and Thomas Brox http://arxiv.or...

this type of AI

cool stuff.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

I reckon Playgrounds Fable will be deeply rooted in mythical lore

Personally I'm sticking to my guns and hoping one of the team's can bring us Shadowrun to the AAA space. It's literally the perfect Cyberpunk game with a unique spin.

Status
Not open for further replies.