• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eroke

Oct 27, 2017
84493119_191363922239040_3389183376450650112_o.jpg

twitter.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator on Twitter

“Having a rough week? Look up, it might help you see from a new perspective. ☁️ #WingWednesday #MicrosoftFlightSimulator Screenshot credit: DeshMindER - Tech Alpha Tester”

MSFS2020 New pic

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
84493119_191363922239040_3389183376450650112_o.jpg

twitter.com

Microsoft Flight Simulator on Twitter

“Having a rough week? Look up, it might help you see from a new perspective. ☁️ #WingWednesday #MicrosoftFlightSimulator Screenshot credit: DeshMindER - Tech Alpha Tester”

MSFS2020 New pic
arent they able to improve the tech overtime by the way the engine is on servers or did i read that wrong somewhere and my memory is really bad?

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
I think The coalition lacks creative leadership (and now productive with the departure of rod)

The best way would be to appoint 2 people at the head of the studio, for example former veterans of Ubisoft, EA etc ... A creative / writing person and another productive

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I think The coalition lacks creative leadership (and now productive with the departure of rod)

The best way would be to appoint 2 people at the head of the studio, for example former veterans of Ubisoft, EA etc ... A creative / writing person and another productive

I don't know about having two heads of a studio, sounds like that could be a disaster when ideas clash.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

That seems like a leap, is there any evidence that The Coalition has no creative leadership? And Rod wasn't running the studio alone, neither will he have left before at least setting up a plan to help his replacement hit the ground running. I'm. Sure they'll be fine.

I don't know about having two heads of a studio, sounds like that could be a disaster when ideas clash.

Yeah, I feel like this really only makes sense if it's two people who have a history of working together and dividing the responsibilities. Like the Carter Brothers. Hiring two studio heads who haven't worked together before would be super risky, especially if they're both coming from different companies with different leadership styles.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
That seems like a leap, is there any evidence that The Coalition has no creative leadership? And Rod wasn't running the studio alone, neither will he have left before at least setting up a plan to help his replacement hit the ground running. I'm. Sure they'll be fine.

You've seen this thread before, right? ;D

Aug 26, 2018

I do think you have a fair point.

Franchises like Gears, Halo are always caught between a rock and a hard place with how far to go without losing the fanbase. Halo 4 apparently went too far while Gears 4 played too safe. Even with Gears 5 and all the changes they did do, it still felt like they were not there 100% ( Jack RPG, Open World Areas etc).

In a way, veterans like Rod are a boon because they know the fans well but can also be a bane because creatively, they would be more hesitant to do changes that totally change the direction of the franchise. I saw documentaries leading upto Gears 4 where Rod was mentioning how the team was coming up all these crazy mechanics and how to change the gameplay and Rod had to kind of show them what it means to build a Gears game.

I personally think Phil should promote someone internally to lead the studio and give them the full creative freedom to go crazy, create the Gears game they think does justice to the franchise, fans while moving the game forward.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017

What? over one person leaving, really. The campaign director didn't leave, their production director didn't leave and their writing team and lead writer are still there/work with them. You just promote someone from the studio. Jamming in a new person from another studio sounds like an awful idea, they are better off promoting someone like Christi Rae (production director) or Michael Crump (operations director.)

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I personally think Phil should promote someone internally to lead the studio and give them the full creative freedom to go crazy, create the Gears game they think does justice to the franchise, fans while moving the game forward.

You know you just described Gears 5, right?

Gears core gameplay (at least in the main series) is high octane action, where every encounter is designed as a chess match with hand crafted level designs. Being able to do this on a full open world environment would require big number of resources, development time and developers. And then you have to accommodate RPG elements to it, and it turns into a big mess.

They definitely moved the franchise forward with Gears 5, adding "modern" elements while keeping the franchise core intact and solid, and that's what fans want, the one who buys the game and keep supporting the franchise.

Aug 26, 2018
You know you just described Gears 5, right?

Gears core gameplay (at least in the main series) is high octane action, where every encounter is designed as a chess match with hand crafted level designs. Being able to do this on a full open world environment would require big number of resources, development time and developers. And then you have to accommodate RPG elements to it, and it turns into a big mess.

They definitely moved the franchise forward with Gears 5, adding "modern" elements while keeping the franchise core intact and solid, and that's what fans want, the one who buys the game and keep supporting the franchise.

They are a AAA studio with a lot of support studios to help them which is why they should have taken a year more(In my opinion). It need not be a mess, Assassin's Creed Origins showed it can be done tastefully. I really liked Kate's story though, the story really felt heartfelt.

Just saying they showed us what they can do but didn't realize it fully because they had less than 3 yrs to ship the game.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I still think it's better for that studio to move on to a new IP before doing another Gears.
There's guaranteed safety and much lower risk continuing work on a already proven and successful IP. They at least are going to finish their trilogy before moving on to a new IP. Either that or they're going to build another team to make games other than Gears.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
What? over one person leaving, really. The campaign director didn't leave, their production director didn't leave and their writing team and lead writer are still there/work with them. You just promote someone from the studio. Jamming in a new person from another studio sounds like an awful idea, they are better off promoting someone like Christi Rae (production director) or Michael Crump (operations director.)

Chuck osieja creative director on Gears 4 left the coalition and he was not replaced.

Rod Ferguson is Creative director/Game director on gears 5 but also Studio head.

I think a new Creative director and Studio Head is the best.

For an action adventure play style, it is important that the creative director is a Writer or former animation director/Lead cinematic animator who love write.

Mike laidlaw former Creative director at bioware who recently left Ubisoft can be a good choice to be creative director at The coalition since The coalition seems to be heading for action / adventure Action RPG as bioware.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
They are a AAA studio with a lot of support studios to help them which is why they should have taken a year more(In my opinion). It need not be a mess, Assassin's Creed Origins showed it can be done tastefully. I really liked Kate's story though, the story really felt heartfelt.

Just saying they showed us what they can do but didn't realize it fully because they had less than 3 yrs to ship the game.

This has been debunked already. They had almost 4 years of development time. And bar some technical problems (network side of things), Gears 5 definitely isn't a mess, honestly I don't see sense in what you're saying.

Assassin's Creed is a franchise that is designed by two factors: Open World Traversal (Parkour) and Stealth Action, but nothing on it's combat has been memorable or genre defining. Gears has defined an entire generation with it's mechanics and core loop, even today you can see it's influences in almost every third person game. They should add features to it, and not redesign in it's entirety.

And just to be clear, I'm all in for them to change the Gears formula on spin offs, just like what they're doing with Tactics.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
They rebranded to The Coalition and are going to always in some form be working on Gears.

Not necessarily. Coalition is just a name, after all. The studio can pivot if allowed to and wants to. Playground were, up until recently, simply a racing game factory for MS. Their trajectory since acquisition is what I hope for Coalition. Boost capacity and if necessary get two large teams going. Or one mega team alternating between Gears and something else. But just as big as Gears.

The studio would benefit in the long run. The Xbox brand would benefit. The Gears IP would benefit too. The longer break would build up demand but also allow for bigger evolutions in gameplay and technology each time.

No matter how they try to incrementally evolve Gears, it'll always be to diminishing returns if they hammer away at the brand non stop. Gears 5 already failed to generate the sort of buzz needed to be a "system seller". Despite its critical deception and initial strong numbers.

Also, MS, despite the acquisition spree, still don't have enough studios with the grunt, manpower, budget and track record of delivering the tent pole mega games that many want. The problem is that the two studios with the closest to that capacity are tied to single games. The Initiative, Playground and Ninja Theory MIGHT help address that, but are unproven in terms of their new sizes. Obsidian can't (even the so called Skyrim killer doesn't have enough working on it to reach RDR2/Cyberpunk scale) and neither can the others.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
With Rod out of the picture, I can honestly see Coalition doing another project at the very least on the side.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Not sure if these have been posted:

Xbox Game Studios Will Host Game Development Camp in New Orleans

BATON ROUGE — Today at the Louisiana Entertainment Summit, Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios announced it will host a hands-on game development camp in New Orleans, beginning April 21, 2020. The Xbox Game Studios Game Camp Powered by Unity is open to aspiring game developers of all skill levels, including artists, musicians, project managers and many other disciplines.

Microsoft created the Xbox Game Studios Game Camp Powered by Unity to inspire adults in greater New Orleans to realize their potential in the gaming industry through unique learning experiences from industry leaders. Camp details and application information may be found at xbox.com/gamecamp. The six-month event will be conducted in partnership with Louisiana Economic Development, Greater New Orleans Inc. and the New Orleans Business Alliance.

"Louisiana continues to be a premier destination for entertainment production, and that includes our growing digital media sector," Gov. John Bel Edwards said. "We are happy to welcome Microsoft's Xbox Game Studios to Louisiana to host this exciting Game Camp in New Orleans. Video game development and other digital media production are an important part of our state's entertainment program, and this is a fine opportunity for aspiring young developers to hone their skills with some of the best in the business."

inXile Games, part of Xbox Game Studios, launched a studio in New Orleans in 2015 and currently employs more than 40 people locally. Jeff Strain, studio head for Xbox Game Studios' Undead Labs, also recently announced plans to personally fund and create a vocational school focused on video games in the area.

More at link

kadn.com

Xbox Game Studios Will Host Game Development Camp in New Orleans - News15 | Lafayette, LA

BATON ROUGE — Today at the Louisiana Entertainment Summit, Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios announced it will host a hands-on game development camp in New Orleans, beginning April 21, 2020. The Xbox Game Studios Game Camp Powered by Unity is open to aspiring game developers of all skill levels...

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I am so tired of saying this about the Coalition and 343. I don't even bother anymore.

I agree with you that it's unlikely.

But if that's the MS strategy then the strategy is flawed and needs improving. We've literally seen resignations at the top of both those studios recently. I'm convinced in part because they want a change. Even the most die hard game makers would get bored of the same thing year after year. The main problem for MS is that millions of former Halo and Gears fans also got bored and moved on. The other acquisitions don't yet have the capacity for different games with the scope of Gears/Halo. Coalition and 343 do. Today.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Or

Mike Rayner - Technical Director at the coalition is promoted to Studio head and The coalition recruiting a new technical director + creative director.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Not sure if these have been posted:

Xbox Game Studios Will Host Game Development Camp in New Orleans

kadn.com

Xbox Game Studios Will Host Game Development Camp in New Orleans - News15 | Lafayette, LA

BATON ROUGE — Today at the Louisiana Entertainment Summit, Microsoft’s Xbox Game Studios announced it will host a hands-on game development camp in New Orleans, beginning April 21, 2020. The Xbox Game Studios Game Camp Powered by Unity is open to aspiring game developers of all skill levels...

I need to read into this a little more as I just moved to New Orleans last weekend. I had thoughts of trying to reach out to someone at inXile to see if I could do a XGS-Era interview with Fargo and whoever leads the NOLA branch next time he's in town. :-p

I did, completely by accident, run into the inXile office in NOLA a few weeks ago when I was looking for apartments. Was walking to one of my favorite bars in town, happened to look up, and there it was.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
This leak is super interesting. There's decently credible rumors that Microsoft at least made initial contact with almost all the studios listed (if we assume the studio that Microsoft was looking at in Poland is The Farm51) and the specs are shockingly close for someone to have guessed early last year. The games are pretty close as well (especially if The Initiative is really working on Perfect Dark), even though some in the know have claimed that Killer Instinct 2 is not in development. It's not totally out of the question that this has some validity. The weird thing about it is that someone would be in a position to know the specs for both consoles and Xbox's plans.

Problem with a leak like that is nobody in the world at that time has insight into both Microsofts and Sonys next gen specs outside of higher level AMD employees. Only a few people in the world within Microsoft would know all their possible studio negotiations. Only a few people would know all the unnanounced games in development.

So either the leak is Phil Spencer himself, who just so happened to see the Github stuff before anyone else....or it's fake.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I need to read into this a little more as I just moved to New Orleans last weekend. I had thoughts of trying to reach out to someone at inXile to see if I could do a XGS-Era interview with Fargo and whoever leads the NOLA branch next time he's in town. :-p

I did, completely by accident, run into the inXile office in NOLA a few weeks ago when I was looking for apartments. Was walking to one of my favorite bars in town, happened to look up, and there it was.

Nice! Welcome to the city. If you have any questions, hmu.

I had no idea inXile was right there on Oak, totally not where I expected.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Nice! Welcome to the city. If you have any questions, hmu.

I had no idea inXile was right there on Oak, totally not where I expected.

Nice! Should do a meetup sometime. Just moved into Uptown, right on Saint Charles. East Carrollton isn't where I'd have expected to find inXile either, but at the same time it kind of feels right.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
This leak is super interesting. There's decently credible rumors that Microsoft at least made initial contact with almost all the studios listed (if we assume the studio that Microsoft was looking at in Poland is The Farm51) and the specs are shockingly close for someone to have guessed early last year. The games are pretty close as well (especially if The Initiative is really working on Perfect Dark), even though some in the know have claimed that Killer Instinct 2 is not in development. It's not totally out of the question that this has some validity. The weird thing about it is that someone would be in a position to know the specs for both consoles and Xbox's plans.

I'll still be considering that unverified until all (or at least most) of those games are announced. The price points would also be a good indicator of it being true, but it was long enough ago that they probably wouldn't have been completely decided yet, things could have changed by now. But if all of those games were far enough in development that they were aiming for launch titles, they'll eventually be announced. They might miss launch, but they'll be somewhere.

The studio negotiations are tricky for two reasons.
  1. They can only be proven right, not wrong. Most studios probably aren't gonna come out and say "we weren't talking to Microsoft at this time in any capacity", and certainly not every studio in Poland and France and Germany are going to do that. So the only thing that can happen is something can come out about Microsoft talking to a studio on the list or in one of those countries and then the leak seems validated.
  2. It's pretty likely Microsoft, when they started this expansion, sent dozens of communications to dozens of studios that were either ignored or only made it as far as "no thank you". They probably, at the very least, reached out to every studio they've worked with in some capacity over the years.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
EDIT: Bleeding Edge's name was known in December 2018

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
It's pretty likely Microsoft, when they started this expansion, sent dozens of communications to dozens of studios that were either ignored or only made it as far as "no thank you". They probably, at the very least, reached out to every studio they've worked with in some capacity over the years.

Yup. Any indie studio that has made a good game or found some type of success has likely been at least approached by Microsoft, with most conversations dying quickly.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Chuck osieja creative director on Gears 4 left the coalition and he was not replaced.

Rod Ferguson is Creative director/Game director on gears 5 but also Studio head.

I think a new Creative director and Studio Head is the best.

For an action adventure play style, it is important that the creative director is a Writer or former animation director/Lead cinematic animator who love write.

Mike laidlaw former Creative director at bioware who recently left Ubisoft can be a good choice to be creative director at The coalition since The coalition seems to be heading for action / adventure Action RPG as bioware.
Or

Mike Rayner - Technical Director at the coalition is promoted to Studio head and The coalition recruiting a new technical director + creative director.
Matthew Searcy is the campaign design director, Rod defaulted to him for interviews and the design of the campaign in Gears 5 previews.
Rod was the overall game director for Gears 5 and studio head, but multi and campaign have their own directors. There is a reason why a creative director very rarely also holds a production or studio management role, because they don't have that skill set or they come from the production/management side like Rod. Also what reason do you have that "it is important that the creative director is a writer or former animation director", why not a game designer or systems designer or art director/production? what reason other than seemingly looking at SSM and Cory Barlog. If they need a new studio head and overall game director, then they are most likely to fill both separately and their best option is to promote from within. They already have the talent in house, I would assume Rod has already made suggestions to Booty from his team of directors/leads.

Last edited:

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Matthew Searcy is the campaign design director, Rod defaulted to him for interviews and the design of the campaign in Gears 5 previews.
Rod was the overall game director for Gears 5 and studio head, but multi and campaign have their own directors. There is a reason why a creative director very rarely also holds a production or studio management role, because they don't have that skill set or they come from the production/management side like Rod. Also what reason do you have that "it is important that the creative director is a writer or former animation director", why not a game designer or systems designer or art director/production? what reason other than seemingly looking at SSM and Cory Barlog. If they need a new studio head and overall game director, then they are most likely to fill both separately and their best option is to promote from within. They already have the talent in house, I would assume Rod has already made suggestions to Booty from his team of directors/leads.

I don't just take the example of Cory, there are a lot of former animators who become writers in the video games industry.

Just like there are many artists who become designer/ director like marcus lehto, Darrell Gallagher, the game director of AC Odyssey who is former Rare artist for PDZ.

I just want the coalition to establish its leg, I think that a creative director with world building / writing talent like Cliffy B is a big plus and I think with the departure of Rod this is what must be done .

The coalition is a world class studios, I think they're just missing a paw.

Mike rayner - new Studio Head
veterans Writer / designer or former world class Lead level artist - new Creative director

343i since time these are rebuilt, co Creative director on Infinite is former Narrative director at Rocksteady, they have a clear studio vision in my opinion.

Just by looking at their site.
www.343industries.com

Studio

343 Industries is home to the Halo Universe, and to a team of talented people dedicated to creating incredible science-fiction experiences.

Halo_Reinvention_Book_1.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.