• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018

this real??? X briefing in April???

The reddit post says it "popped up on Twitter" but then doesn't give a link to or screenshot of the tweet? I didn't see the tweet on Xbox twitter, so seems fishy to me.

Butttt, it is 2 days after my wedding, so maybe it's a present from old Philliam Spencer.

EDIT: Also the fact that it just says "Xbox Series", not "Series X"

Last edited:

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
I don't just take the example of Cory, there are a lot of former animators who become writers in the video games industry.

Just like there are many artists who become designer/ director like marcus lehto, Darrell Gallagher, the game director of AC Odyssey who is former Rare artist for PDZ.

I just want the coalition to establish its leg, I think that a creative director with world building / writing talent like Cliffy B is a big plus and I think with the departure of Rod this is what must be done .

The coalition is a world class studios, I think they're just missing a paw.

Mike rayner - new Studio Head
veterans Writer / designer or former world class Lead level artist - new Creative director

343i since time these are rebuilt, co Creative director on Infinite is former Narrative director at Rocksteady, they have a clear studio vision in my opinion.

Just by looking at their site.
www.343industries.com

Studio

343 Industries is home to the Halo Universe, and to a team of talented people dedicated to creating incredible science-fiction experiences.

Halo_Reinvention_Book_1.jpg

But that still doesn't mean that's important, Marcus Letho didn't write Halo Reach (his new game is also getting a mixed to negative reception on the gameplay front.) Darrell Gallagher has never been a game director, he was art/tech or management. The game director of AC Odyssey has never worked at Rare? Cliffy B isn't a writer/world builder, he is a game/systems designer who became a game director. Mike Rayner is a technical director, why do you think he has the skill set to be a studio head over someone else (from production or studio management)? The original creative director on infinite was a designer at Lucasarts, the head/overall director of Infinite Chris Lee is from production. Paul Crocker is an associate creative director, the image you linked is from Dan Chosich who is the narrative experience director. You still haven't explained why you wouldn't promote from within, you have the campaign design director, campaign producer or the lead writer etc that could be promoted to be creative director, you have the head of operations or the director of production that have the skill set to be promoted to studio head. Your post just proves that it's not important that the creative director is from a specific background/skill set, like Rod himself who comes from a production background. But what is important is that a studio head has the experience/skill set for the job. If you want Gears to take a more heavily story driven/cinematic approach, then you don't have to have a writer as the creative director. The team just has to set that as a goal for Gears 6, they already have their writing team and lead writer.

Last edited:

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
The reddit post says it "popped up on Twitter" but then doesn't give a link to or screenshot of the tweet? I didn't see the tweet on Xbox twitter, so seems fishy to me.

Butttt, it is 2 days after my wedding, so maybe it's a present from old Philliam Spencer.

EDIT: Also the fact that it just says "Xbox Series", not "Series X"
I'm going with this being fake.

It may be a good guess in regards to the time frame, but I don't believe that image is official.

agree

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
But that still doesn't mean that's important, Marcus Letho didn't write Halo Reach (his new game is also getting a mixed to negative reception on the gameplay front.) Darrell Gallagher has never been a game director, he was art/tech or management. The game director of AC Odyssey has never worked at Rare? Cliffy B isn't a writer/world builder, he is a game/systems designer who became a game director. Mike Rayner is a technical director, why do you think he has the skill set to be a studio head over someone else (from production or studio management)? The original creative director on infinite was a designer at Lucasarts, the head/overall director of Infinite Chris Lee is from production. Paul Crocker is an associate creative director, the image you linked is from Dan Chosich who is the narrative experience director. You still haven't explained why you wouldn't promote from within, you have the campaign design director, campaign producer or the lead writer etc that could be promoted to be creative director, you have the head of operations or the director of production that have the skill set to be promoted to studio head. Your post just proves that it's not important that the creative director is from a specific background/skill set, like Rod himself who comes from a production background. But what is important is that a studio head has the experience/skill set for the job. If you want Gears to take a more heavily story driven/cinematic approach, then you don't have to have a writer as the creative director. The team just has to set that as a goal for Gears 6, they already have their writing team and lead writer.

This is a really interesting debate. To jump in, in all industries the best leaders aren't necessarily the best doers of any specific thing. People have different leadership styles and bring different strengths to leadership roles. Looking at the heads of studios, I don't believe game development is drastically different from other professions in this regard. We've seen Superstars in sports, for example, both thrive and fail horribly in coach or GM leadership roles. I think what's best for a team often depends on what their strengths or weaknesses are.

So for Coalition, I don't believe there's any absolutes regarding whether the right person is already at the studio or not. Me personally...I don't know the inner workings, the strengths or opportunities within. As an outsider, I hope to see more chances taken, more creativity...and taking chances means that Coalition may go through a completely different development cycle with a lot of unexpected challenges. The person best suited for that role may already be there or they may need to go with someone more proven from the outside. It's risk/reward either way.

I also believe that regardless, Cliffy B is not who they need. Distractions are never good and his lack of self control, narcism and mouth will make him a distraction. Teams don't need that regardless of the talent level.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure what he means

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

“Just saying Xbox for Microsoft’s next generation is going to be weird for a while, but we’ll get there, people. We will.”

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

“@Goose_Se7en The official name of the new system is apparently Xbox. Series X is one of the models.”

I'm going to go out on a limb and say he doesn't know what's going on and is finally realized what "Series" means

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
Not sure what he means

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

“Just saying Xbox for Microsoft’s next generation is going to be weird for a while, but we’ll get there, people. We will.”

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

“@Goose_Se7en The official name of the new system is apparently Xbox. Series X is one of the models.”
Hes just talking about the name. We've known since the reveal that it was just called xbox and the model was series x

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Not sure what he means

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

He means it's going to be weird just saying "Xbox" instead of "Xbox 360" or "Xbox One".

But we already knew it was going to be just called "Xbox" in December with Series X just one of the models. Why talk about old news huh.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
This is a really interesting debate. To jump in, in all industries the best leaders aren't necessarily the best doers of any specific thing. People have different leadership styles and bring different strengths to leadership roles. Looking at the heads of studios, I don't believe game development is drastically different from other professions in this regard. We've seen Superstars in sports, for example, both thrive and fail horribly in coach or GM leadership roles. I think what's best for a team often depends on what their strengths or weaknesses are.

So for Coalition, I don't believe there's any absolutes regarding whether the right person is already at the studio or not. Me personally...I don't know the inner workings, the strengths or opportunities within. As an outsider, I hope to see more chances taken, more creativity...and taking chances means that Coalition may go through a completely different development cycle with a lot of unexpected challenges. The person best suited for that role may already be there or they may need to go with someone more proven from the outside. It's risk/reward either way.

I also believe that regardless, Cliffy B is not who they need. Distractions are never good and his lack of self control, narcism and mouth will make him a distraction. Teams don't need that regardless of the talent level.
I agree, but when it comes to a studio head/management role you also have to think about the fact that a Gears game is going to cost upwards of 60+ million and the Coalition is part of a bigger organisation. So to avoid most cases of risk, the people who have the most experience or skill set will usually get the position. In terms of promoting from within over outside hiring, you have to think about it from the teams POV, be it career growth or production delays. There is also the factor of Rod's recommendations. But I don't think Rod leaving is going to change much, they will just appoint a new studio head and the current directors of campaign and multiplayer will probably just take on more responsibility. Agreed on Cliffy B.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
This definitely looks like fake, but "Xbox" is the name of the new generation of consoles, "Series X" is the name of one model. Lockhart will probably be called "Series S". "Xbox Series" is the more credible part of this "leak"

I mean I get that, but the way it's styled is weird, if it was going to be an event where they showed off the series X and announced the series S they probably would just put "Xbox", and leave off the "Series". That'd be like Tesla holding a "Tesla Model" event.

Sep 19, 2019
Hamburg- Germany
Not sure what he means

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

twitter.com

Andrew Reiner on Twitter

Those tweets should give us an idea of how old his Info about the power differences of the new consoles might have been. 😂

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I agree, but when it comes to a studio head/management role you also have to think about the fact that a Gears game is going to cost upwards of 60+ million and the Coalition is part of a bigger organisation. So to avoid most cases of risk, the people who have the most experience or skill set will usually get the position. In terms of promoting from within over outside hiring, you have to think about it from the teams POV, be it career growth or production delays. There is also the factor of Rod's recommendations. But I don't think Rod leaving is going to change much, they will just appoint a new studio head and the current directors of campaign and multiplayer will probably just take on more responsibility. Agreed on Cliffy B.

While your first point is true, I wouldn't rule out Spencer and Booty taking risks. Yes Gears is a billion dollar IP who's next game will be very expensive. Maybe because Gears is established yet tired, it's the ideal IP to take a risk with.

To no fault of Rod, Coalition's culture and processes were built around the old Xbox who were very safe in the gaming space and were looking to squeeze their established cash cows for every microtransaction they could. While I have no delusion microtransactions are going away or that risk is no longer a consideration, it may be time to swing the pendulum the other way and this would be the perfect time to reshape Coalition to fit in with the new Xbox culture. So a bold, out of the box thinker might be the perfect Coalition lead today. Every great leader within the industry had to get their first shot sometime.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I've kind of wondered out loud about this before in relation to Halo, but I do wonder if it might be better for Gears to fully decouple SP and MP. That way, no one element has to be beholden to the other.

The Jack abilities in G5 at least make me wonder if there won't be a wider delta between the modes in 6.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
I've kind of wondered out loud about this before in relation to Halo, but I do wonder if it might be better for Gears to fully decouple SP and MP. That way, no one element has to be beholden to the other.

The Jack abilities in G5 at least make me wonder if there won't be a wider delta between the modes in 6.

I would love to see that. Have a Gears Championship edition that is all multiplayer all the time. Multiplayer doesn't need to take drastic risks and if anything, fans of particular multiplayer games are very specific on why they like it. Today Counter Strike is as healthy as it's ever been.

The single player does need to take more risks.

When we step back and look at it, Halo and Gears are really the 2 franchises that have balanced both campaign and multiplayer better than anyone in the industry. Reason why it's such a tough balance is that what's good for one mode doesn't often translate to the other. Both Gears and Halo found uniquely perfect balances but in order for one mode to move ahead, it may kill that balance. That's why it may be time to separate them and break the interdependence.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
XGS Flighting these days:
  • AoE 3 DE
  • Bleeding Edge
  • MS Flight Sim
  • xCloud iOS/Android
  • Grounded
  • Halo MCC
  • Sea of Thieves Test Realm
  • (PSO2 by SEGA)
  • (Halo Infinite coming)
I think it shows they learned their lesson this gen. Doing so many public tests will result in better experiences for everyone.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Seriously, people think Microsoft would send an invite that still has a generic latin garbage text in place?

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
How will retail boxes work if they aren't labeled "Xbox Series"? A 100GB Blu-ray that will only work on the Series X will need its own packaging to let people know "This won't work on the One." It won't just have Xbox at the top.

If for the next 7 years the newest models of Xbox are Xbox Series _ then the name at that point is Xbox Series.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
How will retail boxes work if they aren't labeled "Xbox Series"? A 100GB Blu-ray that will only work on the Series X will need its own packaging to let people know "This won't work on the One." It won't just have Xbox at the top.

If for the next 7 years the newest models of Xbox are Xbox Series _ then the name at that point is Xbox Series.
Uhm....
Halo infinite with a banner on top compatible on Xbox one, Xbox one x, Xbox series s, Xbox series x

Halo infinite 2 with banner on top compatible with Xbox series s, Xbox series x

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017

All of this just shows how stupid that name is. IMO

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019

You just have to make the box look different. Make it like either green or black with the other color as a highlight, and have it say "Xbox". People would literally would have to be stupid to get them mixed up with xbox one games. If people dont get ps 3/4/5 confused then a box missing the entire word "one" wont be confusing.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

It's Xbox

Games are compatible with Xbox One or the Series X (and any additional devices that are announced)

It'll just say Xbox and have a banner something that says what it's compatible with.

Also, I wouldn't expect game sizes to be much different than their cross gen counterparts, even with larger textures. The console will benefit from games utilizing an SSD meaning they don't need to copy data across the platter in multiple places to help with streaming.

And technically, both the One S and One X can both utilize 100GB discs. The launch Xbox One would need to be sunset or have some sort of way of pulling a download instead if you put the game in.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
Uhm....
Halo infinite with a banner on top compatible on Xbox one, Xbox one x, Xbox series s, Xbox series x

Halo infinite 2 with banner on top compatible with Xbox series s, Xbox series x
This only works if there is one box. There won't be if there are two discs. Why would a case that contains a 100GB Blu-ray have anything Xbox One related on it?

All of this just shows how stupid that name is. IMO
I honestly believe them saying the name is Xbox is so they can finally just go with "Xbox 2" in 6 years. What can they realistically call the next batch of consoles, Xbox: Models?

It's Xbox

Games are compatible with Xbox One or the Series X (and any additional devices that are announced)

It'll just say Xbox and have a banner something that says what it's compatible with.

Also, I wouldn't expect game sizes to be much different than their cross gen counterparts, even with larger textures. The console will benefit from games utilizing an SSD meaning they don't need to copy data across the platter in multiple places to help with streaming.

And technically, both the One S and One X can both utilize 100GB discs. The launch Xbox One would need to be sunset or have some sort of way of pulling a download instead if you put the game in.
I couldn't find anywhere that says the One S or X support BDXL, so they couldn't actually read 100GB discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.