• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 23, 2018
The reddit post says it "popped up on Twitter" but then doesn't give a link to or screenshot of the tweet? I didn't see the tweet on Xbox twitter, so seems fishy to me.

Butttt, it is 2 days after my wedding, so maybe it's a present from old Philliam Spencer.

EDIT: Also the fact that it just says "Xbox Series", not "Series X"

Happy almost wedding! Good luck with the planning.

This only works if there is one box. There won't be if there are two discs. Why would a case that contains a 100GB Blu-ray have anything Xbox One related on it?

I honestly believe them saying the name is Xbox is so they can finally just go with "Xbox 2" in 6 years. What can they realistically call the next batch of consoles, Xbox: Models?

I couldn't find anywhere that says the One S or X support BDXL, so they couldn't actually read 100GB discs.

They could just have the disc serve as a licensing key to prompt a download

When do you all think xCloud will launch as an actual product?

On or around XSX launch

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
The odds of MS having a separate dedicated event when they have already revealed the console is near zero.
Quite the opposite actually. they wont want to take up e3 time by going into detail on the specs, special features, tech demos, and everything during it, so theyll probably have an event sometime before it. E3 is about games for them.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Quite the opposite actually. they wont want to take up e3 time by going into detail on the specs, special features, tech demos, and everything during it, so theyll probably have an event sometime before it. E3 is about games for them.

and by close to zero i meant it's negative

meaning there's more of a chance that nintendo and sony will both go third party than MS holding a 2nd event

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
and by close to zero i meant it's negative

meaning there's more of a chance that nintendo and sony will both go third party than MS holding a 2nd event

To hold a second event, there will have needed to be a first event. TGAs doesn't count as an event. Phil has been all in on E3 being about games. In order for that to remain true this year, Xbox 4 needs a proper unveiling detailing specs, new features and Lockhart should it still exist. As it stands they've yet to properly sell anyone on the console and why you should buy it.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
To hold a second event, there will have needed to be a first event. TGAs doesn't count as an event. Phil has been all in on E3 being about games. In order for that to remain true this year, Xbox 4 needs a proper unveiling detailing specs, new features and Lockhart should it still exist. As it stands they've yet to properly sell anyone on the console and why you should buy it.

or perhaps they will sell it by showing the games?

it takes like 20 seconds to go over the specs... it took 4 minutes at E3 2017 to detail all the hardware of Xbox One X ... from the specs to the features like HDR and super sampling to talking about liquid cooling and the hovus method. yet it took 20 seconds just for the specs. if there is any special new features to highlight, they'll do it quickly. but considering the relative rate of progress between xbox 360 and now, i don't feel there's much of a need.

there might be some neat things like mixer integration or RT or showing off load times or xcloud or whatever... but it'll take 15-20 minutes max outside of roughly 2 hours.

and by 2nd event i mean E3 already exists. there's no need for an individual event.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz

it takes like 20 seconds to go over the specs... it took 4 minutes at E3 2017 to detail all the hardware of Xbox One X ... from the specs to the features like HDR and super sampling to talking about liquid cooling and the hovus method. yet it took 20 seconds just for the specs. if there is any special new features to highlight, they'll do it quickly. but considering the relative rate of progress between xbox 360 and now, i don't feel there's much of a need.

there might be some neat things like mixer integration or RT or showing off load times or xcloud or whatever... but it'll take 15-20 minutes max outside of roughly 2 hours.

and by 2nd event i mean E3 already exists. there's no need for an individual event.

Xbox One X is not the same as a new hardware generation. Xbox One will largely be irrelevant by late 2021. I mean you're also forgetting Lockhart. They still potentially have an entire other console with different but similar specs to show off. Aside from knowing what the Series X looks like we're roughly in the same boat of knowing little to nothing just like the PS5. A reveal event can still go a long way.

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox One X is not the same as a new hardware generation. Xbox One will largely be irrelevant by late 2021. I mean you're also forgetting Lockhart. They still potentially have an entire other console with different but similar specs to show off. Aside from knowing what the Series X looks like we're roughly in the same boat of knowing little to nothing just like the PS5. A reveal event can still go a long way.

it's actually pretty much just an extension of this gen.

we're definitely going to have less OS level stuff to talk about relative to last generation. All games and all hardware from previous gen works on this one. The controllers are basically the same outside of a share button There really isn't much to go over. We actually know pretty much the majority outside of the exact specs and some minor things here and there.

Also lockhart isn't expected to be out this year.

Icky Thump

Oct 30, 2017
unfurl="true"]https://www.343industries.com/studio[/URL]

Halo_Reinvention_Book_1.jpg

What exactly am I looking at?

What if we lost our core audience but garnered a new one? Not sure I ever saw that.

HBC_XL

Apr 19, 2018
Vancouver

it's actually pretty much just an extension of this gen.

we're definitely going to have less OS level stuff to talk about relative to last generation. All games and all hardware from previous gen works on this one. The controllers are basically the same outside of a share button There really isn't much to go over. We actually know pretty much the majority outside of the exact specs and some minor things here and there.

Also lockhart isn't expected to be out this year.

You're making a whole lot of assumptions and ignoring a bunch of points.
  • Xbox One X = hardware update. Xbox Series X = a new console. They will spend more time on specs just to flaunt them
  • 15-20 mins is more than 1/8 of the entire show. That's not insignificant. That's a few games alone, IF it was only taking that much time to do.
    • Halo Infinite will likely take a huge chunk of time at E3, not to mention all the Xbox One games that have yet to release (that are known and have a post-E3 release). Plus, considering much of the 3P content now has one stage to feature on, there's likely to be a healthy amount of time put into that.
  • We know nothing about the UX, we all just assume it'll be exactly the same. Might be, might not be. If not -- explanations anticipated
  • We know very little about the controller, only that it has a share button, more grip, is slightly smaller, and has the Elite-style directional pad. There could be a whole lot going on under the hood that we have no clue about.
  • Lockhart launching after makes no sense. Devs have to build for it from jump if everything is to work on both.
  • Speaking of, there will be some time detailing the sunsetting of the Xbox One family of devices. Price drops, halting production, reiterate that "nobody will be left behind" and what that means.
  • Most consumers of consoles don't hang out here. A healthy chunk of those people don't even venture past IGN/Gamespot for news and information. THOSE people need the griity details that we (think we) know.
I'd say there's more a chance that there is a separate event then that there isn't (70/30)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Lockhart launching after makes no sense. Devs have to build for it from jump if everything is to work on both.
yes and no, its not new to release newer tech later on to have a product hit a specific lower budget range while keeping it within the same series of devices. With Xbox games just being PC games that helps games move to Series S easily, X is what a console only game will build for and then just scale down and when it comes to third party or first party they just have to build again to X or even a maxed tf out PC and once again scale down for both. building for S and then just adding bells and whistles for X aint how you do it.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Based on today's rumoured Bloomberg post, if MS can hit $350 with Lockhart vs. a $499 PS5, it's going to be huge. Doubly so if Lockhart can launch at $300.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
You're making a whole lot of assumptions and ignoring a bunch of points.
  • Xbox One X = hardware update. Xbox Series X = a new console. They will spend more time on specs just to flaunt them
  • 15-20 mins is more than 1/8 of the entire show. That's not insignificant. That's a few games alone, IF it was only taking that much time to do.
    • Halo Infinite will likely take a huge chunk of time at E3, not to mention all the Xbox One games that have yet to release (that are known and have a post-E3 release). Plus, considering much of the 3P content now has one stage to feature on, there's likely to be a healthy amount of time put into that.
  • We know nothing about the UX, we all just assume it'll be exactly the same. Might be, might not be. If not -- explanations anticipated
  • We know very little about the controller, only that it has a share button, more grip, is slightly smaller, and has the Elite-style directional pad. There could be a whole lot going on under the hood that we have no clue about.
  • Lockhart launching after makes no sense. Devs have to build for it from jump if everything is to work on both.
  • Speaking of, there will be some time detailing the sunsetting of the Xbox One family of devices. Price drops, halting production, reiterate that "nobody will be left behind" and what that means.
  • Most consumers of consoles don't hang out here. A healthy chunk of those people don't even venture past IGN/Gamespot for news and information. THOSE people need the griity details that we (think we) know.
I'd say there's more a chance that there is a separate event then that there isn't (70/30)

Time constraints aside, there's also the marketing consideration that they will want to give the console a stage of it's own to garner some days or weeks of free media attention and signal boosting, versus having it become just another segment in an E3 conference filled with games.

They'll want to talk about their "vision" with the console's design, and what they aim to do with it. Probably some talk about their philosophy of cross-gen compatibility for the time being.

The One X was positioned for their core demographic, so this wasn't necessary - hence the Digital Foundry reveal, and a quick rundown of technical specs at E3. The Xbox Series X, by comparison, could very well be Microsoft's only console on sale this holiday, and priced to directly compete with the PS5.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Based on today's rumoured Bloomberg post, if MS can hit $350 with Lockhart vs. a $499 PS5, it's going to be huge. Doubly so if Lockhart can launch at $300.
Problem is, if Sony's got DRAM and NAND flash memory supply problems, probably Microsoft is in the same boat too. It means that both SX and Lockhart could cost more than expected, or even that they might push Lockhart to next year to keep all silicon supplies for SX.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Genuine or not, April would be perfect for a launch event. I feel February to June E3 is too long to wait to start phase 2 of the launch conversation, whilst May to June E3 is just to long to wait until the reveal itself.

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
Problem is, if Sony's got DRAM and NAND flash memory supply problems, probably Microsoft is in the same boat too. It means that both SX and Lockhart could cost more than expected, or even that they might push Lockhart to next year to keep all silicon supplies for SX.
I'm aware that this will be mutually felt, but is $350 really much more than expected for Lockhart? It seems most anticipate it will be $300 based on current components (though I've personally always been team $350). If they can currently sell the 6 teraflop One X for $350 and still make a profit, you'd think Lockhart would be within spitting distance price-wise - particularly given it will likely lack the $20 blue-ray drive (which may also enable greater subsidisatiom).

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Genuine or not, April would be perfect for a launch event. I feel February to June E3 is too long to wait to start phase 2 of the launch conversation, whilst May to June E3 is just to long to wait until the reveal itself.
But what might they show? E3 will obviously be about the games and big reveals, and they already revealed the console's look and rough specs. I frankly can't see another event happening before E3, unless it's very limited to just showing the console, some tech demo and maybe one or two games.

I'm aware that this will be mutually felt, but is $350 really much more than expected for Lockhart? It seems most anticipate it will be $300 based on current components (though I've personally always been team $350). If they can currently sell the 6 teraflop One X for $350 and still make a profit, you'd think Lockhart would be within spitting distance price-wise - particularly given it will likely lack the $20 blue-ray drive (which may also enable greater subsidisatiom).
I considered $350 an expected price for Lockhart so far. So if the news about memory prices are true, it might reach $399 or even more. Which would IMHO fail its own purpose.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

Microsoft isn't ever going to refer to their console(s) as "Xbox Series" without saying "S" or "X" or something after. "Xbox Series" is a frankly bizarre Era-ism, because people here either don't understand how names work or want to have an unambiguous way to refer to just the new Xbox console(s), depending on how charitable you're being.

The communicative brand for the new Xbox hardware family is "Xbox," with "Series X" (and presumably "Series S") being names for specific models within that family. They're subheadings. This is obvious from the design of the logotypes, and only Era seems to be still rambling about "the 'Xbox Series'" at this point.

Microsoft is way more likely to make a logotype that reads "Series S | Series X" than just "Series." Not that they would on an invite for this event, because the Series S isn't announced, and they wouldn't announce it on the invite.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to drive my shiny new Tesla Model to pick up an Apple Watch Series for my valentine.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
You know guys, I'm a big Xbox guy but lately, Dreams has blown my mind. So sad that Project Spark was cancelled and tried way too hard to monetize. Dreams is really a magical game and great toolset. It might see a PC release one day so don't sleep on it. Wouldn't work well on Xbox without gyro controls though, I fear. Project Spark is not very often mentioned when it comes to Xbox One's problems. Still, it could have been so much more... and more Conker, too.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not too concerned about Project Spark. I just want Xbox to push Wacom and Huion tablet support. Get Krita and MS Paint ported over. Turn on Windows Ink and Surface Pen support.

Give every kid with an Xbox One S a foot in the door of digital art.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah I agree. Now that I think about it, those guys probably hear "That's not Halo" constantly ringing in their ears. I guess I can get behind that document. Scary though.

I think people forget that 343 are gonna be Halo fans themselves. The preciousness of a fanbase towards itself (and at this point it is often - no, not always - itself, rather than the game) can be revolting.

You know guys, I'm a big Xbox guy but lately, Dreams has blown my mind. So sad that Project Spark was cancelled and tried way too hard to monetize. Dreams is really a magical game and great toolset. It might see a PC release one day so don't sleep on it. Wouldn't work well on Xbox without gyro controls though, I fear. Project Spark is not very often mentioned when it comes to Xbox One's problems. Still, it could have been so much more... and more Conker, too.

I really like Spark. I have Dreams and it's clearly a step above what Spark was, but I actually played Spark more, as I had more time/inclination to make shit back then. Dreams is very impressive though.

XVerdena

Oct 28, 2017
Ori previews coming February 26th

Ori and the Will of the Wisps starts the very moment where Ori and the Blind Forest ended, that's why you see Swallows Nest there :)

And yeah, currently there's a Press Preview Event happening in SF and the embargo for the previews is lifting on 26th of February at 12:01am. Gareth (our composer) is also there for interviews, etc. :)

So, not long anymore and you folks will get a whole bunch of new footage and previews!

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London
I would love to see that. Have a Gears Championship edition that is all multiplayer all the time. Multiplayer doesn't need to take drastic risks and if anything, fans of particular multiplayer games are very specific on why they like it. Today Counter Strike is as healthy as it's ever been.

The single player does need to take more risks.

When we step back and look at it, Halo and Gears are really the 2 franchises that have balanced both campaign and multiplayer better than anyone in the industry. Reason why it's such a tough balance is that what's good for one mode doesn't often translate to the other. Both Gears and Halo found uniquely perfect balances but in order for one mode to move ahead, it may kill that balance. That's why it may be time to separate them and break the interdependence.

They could even release them as separate modules, maybe have the MP as something that lives for an entire generation and gets support over its entire life, rather than a new version and a fresh start every three years.

I suppose the worry there is that people might go, "why am I only getting half a game?!?!?" if they are paying for campaign only (even if MP ends up being a free component). Guess they could just bundle it all together in the boxed release to get past that mental block. Dunno. Interesting to think about.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
But what might they show? E3 will obviously be about the games and big reveals, and they already revealed the console's look and rough specs. I frankly can't see another event happening before E3, unless it's very limited to just showing the console, some tech demo and maybe one or two games.

I considered $350 an expected price for Lockhart so far. So if the news about memory prices are true, it might reach $399 or even more. Which would IMHO fail its own purpose.
Zhuge has said that Bloomberg article about ps5 lines up with what he knows. He also said he expects XSX BOM to be 460-520$.

So I would say if ps5 is 499$ Lockhart is 349$ xsx is 499$ at a loss or 549$
If ps5 is 450$ or less Lockhart is 299$ and xsx is 499$ both sold at a loss.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xbox has keyboard and mouse support that it could work well with Dreams.

Apr 6, 2018
MS should pay to remaster New Vegas in the FO4 engine and add in new and cut locations like Legion territory and expand New Vegas and Freeside. Make the greatest game ever made that much better.
I didn't know that i needed that, thank
why do you insist on EA/Ubi lmao
because he use always the same big words belonging to the ubi/ea generic AAA
I think people forget that 343 are gonna be Halo fans themselves. The preciousness of a fanbase towards itself (and at this point it is often - no, not always - itself, rather than the game) can be revolting.

I really like Spark. I have Dreams and it's clearly a step above what Spark was, but I actually played Spark more, as I had more time/inclination to make shit back then. Dreams is very impressive though.
well a game released at the beginning of a generation is worst than one belonging to the same genre released six years later at the end of the same generation is not a news

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would anyone like to see a sequel to Alpha Protocol by Obsidian if Microsoft could work out a deal with Sega?
Of course. However the Alpha Protocol IP isn't a valuable or noteworthy brand when MS and Obsidian could make their own IP that's a spiritual successor to Alpha Protocol.

No different in how From Software created Dark Souls after Demon Souls.

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
I've kind of wondered out loud about this before in relation to Halo, but I do wonder if it might be better for Gears to fully decouple SP and MP. That way, no one element has to be beholden to the other.

The Jack abilities in G5 at least make me wonder if there won't be a wider delta between the modes in 6.

Nah. The entire package of both is what helps make it special.

All they'd have to do is introduce the wider range of abilities and RPG elements that are only aplicable in SP with MP remainging largely the same minus more fluidity and other technical advances.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In a display of excellent taste, Obsidian's CEO still wants to make Alpha Protocol 2

Feargus Urquhart mentioned the idea as recently as September 2017 so could potentially still happen :D
Things change over time so I'm not getting my hopes up until I hear reasonable rumblings about it happening by trustworthy sources. Besides smaller projects and The Outer Worlds DLC, we know Obsidian is making a AAA fantasy RPG and likely a sequel to The Outer Worlds so the likelihood that a spy/espionage action RPG will be getting made anytime soon is quite low. :(

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
How will retail boxes work if they aren't labeled "Xbox Series"? A 100GB Blu-ray that will only work on the Series X will need its own packaging to let people know "This won't work on the One." It won't just have Xbox at the top.

If for the next 7 years the newest models of Xbox are Xbox Series _ then the name at that point is Xbox Series.

Just place banner that tells which systems are compatible. Doesnt seem difficult.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Things change over time so I'm not getting my hopes up until I hear reasonable rumblings about it happening by trustworthy sources. Besides smaller projects and The Outer Worlds DLC, we know Obsidian is making a AAA fantasy RPG and likely a sequel to The Outer Worlds so the likelihood that a spy/espionage action RPG will be getting made anytime soon is quite low. :(
SHADOWRUN!

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Just gonna pop in to say the Shadowrun FPS was criminally underrated and part of that falls on Microsoft for poor marketing, forced Vista crossplay, $60 price tag :(.

If a polished up current version of it launched today under a different name I feel like it would do really well.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Ok, I would love for it to be that, but I highly doubt it. :( Shadow Run AAA RPG and Alpha Protocol spiritual successor AAA RPG by Obsidian are my dream RPG's by XGS.
Alpha Protocol model doesn't really work with 50+ hour AAA, though.

I'd rather get a series of shorter AA titles in the Shadowrun setting focused on the choice + consequence web.

Status
Not open for further replies.