• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
That tech demo was incredible. If that is what we can expect by ps5/X, we are in for a fucking treat. Thank you Epic for showing us what next-gen is going to look like. MS studios are going to have a field day with this engine.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow Unreal 5 looks amazing. That's how you do a first look at next gen. PS5 showing more next gen capabilities than Xbox and Sony hasn't even had their own event yet :(

Excited for what The Initiative and The Coalition can do with this tech though.
Xbox SX is more powerful and have teams with considerable experience with Unreal, i agree this is how you hype next gen machine, this is impressive on PS5, the XSX results should be greater!

Aug 23, 2018
I think we're starting to see some serious diminishing returns on generational jumps. That demo looked awesome, but honestly not that different from games running on current gen today. Gears 5 and TLOU2 come to mind.

Maybe expectations should be "tempered" across the board leading up to Sony and MS's first party reveals

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
twitter.com

Jeff Grubb on Twitter

“I think it will take a couple of years before we see games that look like this, which is fair. Xbox Series X will look just as good even though this demo definitely relies on the super-fast PS5 I/O. But she still squeezes through a loading corridor, so what is even the point...

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I think we're starting to see some serious diminishing returns on generational jumps. That demo looked awesome, but honestly not that different from games running on current gen today. Gears 5 and TLOU2 come to mind.

Maybe expectations should be "tempered" across the board leading up to Sony and MS's first party reveals

Errr what? Facial animation and textures? Sure.

Anything else? No...

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
Also, Tim Sweeney is REALLY cozy with PlayStation there, especially regarding their storage solution. Smart of Sony to partner on this demo, even if MS studios will benefit by this even more.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I get that MS bungled the whole gameplay thing last week but it's crazy seeing so many people worked up about the UE5 tech demo. Yeah it looked really good, but I feel like the Hellblade 2 trailer already gave us a peak at these types of visuals and that is an actual game. On top of that there were some legitimately great looking games shown last week that got absolutely crapped on, actual games mind you, and now people are crapping themselves over a tech demo.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I really hope so because they need a big touchdown and a successful field goal. Many people are still untrustworthy of the Xbox brand and MS. Xbox needs to prove a lot of people wrong. They had a good touchdown with the Xbox Series X reveal but now they need another one to stay in the lead.

No way. They need something bigger than a touchdown and field goal. Too US centric. They just need a goal (football is much bigger globally than American football! :)).

HgS

Dec 13, 2019

I think it looks awesome without tempered expectations. The big "wait a second" is the 2021 release date. Does that mean games released running on UE5 in 2021 or studios can start developing on it in 2021? And if so can games start on UE4 and be moved to UE5 later in the dev cycle? All that kind of dictates when we'll actually see this. Right now it's just 2021 at best.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Extremely impressive and very canny of Sony to get its name attached to the first showing of this engine.

I'm drooling at what both companies are able to do with it.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
I forgot the tweet i just seen saying this is the first UE that is port forward, any game that is UE4 can just be moved to UE5 when it releases.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Also, Tim Sweeney is REALLY cozy with PlayStation there, especially regarding their storage solution. Smart of Sony to partner on this demo, even if MS studios will benefit by this even more.

"As for Microsoft's Xbox Series X, Sweeney isn't saying the new Xbox won't be able to achieve something similar; both are using custom SSDs that promise blazing speeds. But he says Epic's strong relationship with Sony means the company is working more closely with the PlayStation creator than it does with Microsoft on this specific area."

I was suprised to read this. Anyway we are in for a treat! Next gen games on both consoles are going to look so fucking good.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Games looking like that are expected in 2023 or 24, so that hopefully means all upcoming XGS games using UE will all be using UE5.

Hellblade 2 is UE, right?

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
If it's a amazing tech demo of a UE5 game on ps5.......Xbox should be mad for not thinking of doing it this way with their showcase.
But.. no. GAMERS WANT GAMES!!! XBOX HAS NO GAMES!! SHOW US THE GAMES!!!

Oh but not those games. SHOW US GAMEPLAY!! THIS ISN'T REALLY REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT WE'RE ACTUALLY GONNA PLAY!

Oh but not like.. actual next gen gameplay that we'll have this year. No.. lie softly to me... Show me stuff that I won't touch for 3-4 years, running software that I will never play nor never could play, built to obfuscate the impressive part where WE GO INTO A FREAKING IN-GAME CUTSCENE. lol. Which is great, I loved this demo - and that streaming was extremely impressive and it's very possible that Series X wouldn't be able to stream as quickly.

This was a marketing coup FOR SURE - especially since Sony doesn't even use Unreal really. It's just funny how I keep saying that NARRATIVE MATTERS, and nothing else. Not games. Not console sales. Nothing. It's just narrative. There's really no next gen info here. They're saying the same exact things we've heard about PS5 already. Lots of UE5 details, for sure. But.. yea.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
"As for Microsoft's Xbox Series X, Sweeney isn't saying the new Xbox won't be able to achieve something similar; both are using custom SSDs that promise blazing speeds. But he says Epic's strong relationship with Sony means the company is working more closely with the PlayStation creator than it does with Microsoft on this specific area."

I was suprised to read this. Anyway we are in for a treat! Next gen games on both consoles are going to look so fucking good.
I have been thinking the same thing

twitter.com

Arthur Gies on Twitter

“also, wow, the epic people are really, really going out of their way not to talk about series x here, which is ... interesting.”

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Very surprising.. What strong relationship...?

Actually just thought about it... Does anything think that this means Epic has made deals to move multiple Sony 1st party studios to Unreal? THAT would be worth rolling out the red carpet for PS5 and making this deal. I really can't think of how else they'd have a particularly strong relationship, unless they've been working closely on how to secure a huge coup in gaming. Imagine how big that would be. "The industry is made on Unreal"...

Last edited:

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Also I remember a post saying the PS5 is going to put their speed up front(when presenting the console) compared to their gpu/cpu.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

i think the current gen character model brought the demo down a bit, if they used the model from the HB2 trailer in that demo, then it would feel more next-gen.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019

It seems Halo Infinite going to Steam hurts :P

No_Face

Dec 18, 2017
Brigerbad, Switzerland
I get that MS bungled the whole gameplay thing last week but it's crazy seeing so many people worked up about the UE5 tech demo. Yeah it looked really good, but I feel like the Hellblade 2 trailer already gave us a peak at these types of visuals and that is an actual game. On top of that there were some legitimately great looking games shown last week that got absolutely crapped on, actual games mind you, and now people are crapping themselves over a tech demo.
I think it's so impressive because it's running real-time on a PS5. Not just in-engine. It's a playable demo they recorded on a PS5. That's really promissing for next-gen. In a way, Epic has beaten both Sony and Microsoft in the race to show off next-gen real time graphics.

MrDeveus

Apr 26, 2019
I forgot the tweet i just seen saying this is the first UE that is port forward, any game that is UE4 can just be moved to UE5 when it releases.

"We're designing for forward compatibility, so you can get started with next-gen development now in UE4 and move your projects to UE5 when ready."

www.unrealengine.com

A first look at Unreal Engine 5

Get a glimpse of new and improved real-time rendering features currently in development.

This is awesome!

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I had to leave the house right after that demo, so I can't watch the interview right now. But in the other thread I read that Epic is more or less avoiding mentioning Series X at all? That's a bit sad if that's true.

I guess their partnership with Sony goes that deep then huh? Lol.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't expect Tim Sweeney to say anything positive about Microsoft given the way he showed his ass a couple of years back, so it's just business as usual. Good to know that Series X will be able to do that and more, although tech demos aren't representative of shipped product by any stretch of the imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.