• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Is the guy who helped with CrackDown and Recore still at MS? I believe he also wrote some Halo novels right?
Yes, working on Tell Me Why.

Joseph Staten (@joestaten) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Joseph Staten (@joestaten). Senior Creative Director for Xbox Game Studios Publishing. ASEL, LSA-ASES, taildragger, aspiring warbird pilot. Seattle

Time to pretend I wasn't several minutes late to this party...umm....hi.

Last edited:

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Is the guy who helped with CrackDown and Recore still at MS? I believe he also wrote some Halo novels right?

Just to add some context to the other answers, he did more than just write Halo novels, he literally co-created and wrote the first games at Bungie. Just wanted to give that precision, in case you weren't aware.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
Not sure if that has been posted, but Phil and his team continuing their amazing work. You can tell that he truly believes that gaming is for everyone.

Inspiring.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
I have been playing online a lot lately and am ready to upgrade my headset from the one that came with the xbox. I know nothing about audio hardware, can anyone recommend one, or does anyone know a good thread to ask? I am willing to spend quite a bit of money, is the Arctis 9X worth that price?

Nov 23, 2018
Trying to play online co-op campaign in Gears of War (360 through backwards compatibility) and we keep having the "cannot connect to host" error when trying to join each other's game. Any suggestions?

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
It's relevant to the community. The more people try to be hush hush about it in this thread. 1. the thread will seem less hospitable and desirable to engage in, as any marginalized member won't get the full picture and will feel there is an exclusive bias against them, and 2. you will get more posts arguing about why talking about it SHOULD be allowed, thus cluttering the thread up more with irrelevant information.

Maybe we should all just be transparent with eachother and look out for eachother first, and THEN worry about the rules IF our posts are moderated for breaking a rule on technicality. Worst case scenario someone isn't going to be perma'd for trying to say "Hey on the Xbox Era discord someone was racist" - Like, that's a warning at best, but it shouldn't even be that.

I'm frustrated because my perception is that there is a need to protect some sort of image of the OT/Community rather than protect the actual community itself from any problem members it has.
No. This thread is for Xbox Game Studios. End of story. Anything else should be taken anywhere else.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No. This thread is for Xbox Game Studios. End of story. Anything else should be taken anywhere else.

This thread often deviates towards Xbox hardware and game pass. Those aren't explicitly Xbox Game Studios topics but no one polices them despite having a dedicated Game Pass thread and next gen threads. Functionally this thread is about all things Xbox. If it wasn't about the ResetEra Xbox community itself, we wouldn't have discussion and interaction about the podcasts that members of the community run.

It's only the end of story because talking about it makes people feel uncomfortable and highlights that maybe there's a problem with parts of the ResetEra Xbox community in specific - There is no actual good, compelling reason to try and silence it.

It's equivalent to "Keep politics out of muh games" - A complaint that people only generally have when its politics they disagree with being in games, and it's garbage.

papahefe

Apr 29, 2018
This thread often deviates towards Xbox hardware and game pass. Those aren't explicitly Xbox Game Studios topics but no one polices them despite having a dedicated Game Pass thread and next gen threads. Functionally this thread is about all things Xbox. If it wasn't about the ResetEra Xbox community itself, we wouldn't have discussion and interaction about the podcasts that members of the community run.

It's only the end of story because talking about it makes people feel uncomfortable and highlights that maybe there's a problem with parts of the ResetEra Xbox community in specific - There is no actual good, compelling reason to try and silence it.

It's equivalent to "Keep politics out of muh games" - A complaint that people only generally have when its politics they disagree with being in games, and it's garbage.
I disagree. I think continually bringing it up in unrelated places stirs up more drama than needed. This thread is about Xbox, and off-site issues have no place here. I respect you and your difference of opinion, so I will leave my comments on it at that. But, back to Xbox:

I'm finally playing Ori and the Will of the Wisps after trying it during launch week and failing to. Every time I would boot it up, it would either freeze during gameplay, or crash my Xbox entirely before even fully booting up. Now that I'm playing, it's beautiful, controls well, etc. But I am still running into performance issues, namely insane frame drops and stuttering. I'm playing on an Xbox One X and am shocked this game runs this way.

Has there been any word on an incoming patch to address these issues? The last I can find is pretty dated at this point and would love to see some movement on this.

Ffog

Feb 5, 2018
Yeah, there's no humans left on Zeta Halo. Hasn't been for eons. I wouldn't be surprised if you come across the ruins of their settlements and stuff though.

In the E3 2018 tech demo trailer, that cave writing on the wall was probably supposed to be from those ancient humans.

The majority of them were. The Prometheans were at first Forerunners willingly being "composed" into Knights, because it made them immune to the Flood. However, in desperation the urDidact eventually forcefully composed all of the remaining ancient humans on Zeta Halo - which are largely the Prometheans you're fighting in Halo 4.

I'm pretty sure people actually on the Halo installations are protected from the Halos firing, if I remember correctly. That's why they have wildlife and stuff on them - to basically reseed the universe with life afterward.

I actually think a heap of this is too much for most people. Like you said earlier, it's deep but so damn complicated. I've played every Halo game (except Wars 2) and most of this stuff just isn't an obvious part of the story. On it's face it is about future us fighting aliens. I actually think it's a reason 5's campaign (I think it was 5? Been ages) suffered. This stuff was made a bit more explicit with the Forerunners, and it was a bit "What? We're who? I just want to fight aliens dude". Also the fact I had to fight the same boss 75 times.

Oct 25, 2017
That's some great talent. Especially the stuff from Undead Labs almost looks like a potential vision for SoD3, even if I know that this is just personal art not tied to any projects.

EUtQED1XsAATxql

EUtQGA0WsAU5FBo

EUtQHbrXQAEbQNY

Amazing concepts :)

Oct 25, 2017
Don Arceta is now Art Director at Playground ( Horizon Team ).
www.artstation.com

Don Arceta

I am the Art Director for Forza Horizon at Playground Games from Edmonton Canada with a background in environment art. I have over 16 years of professional industry experience crafting worlds and leading teams for Bioware's successful Mass Effect Trilogy, Anthem, and Playground Games'...

Great news imo.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise

The issue with off-site drama is you're essentially asking the moderation team to extend their grasp to other forums and social media platforms. It's just simpler (and less likely to result in unjust banning) to judge and act on what is posted here.

Also, it should be noted that people are getting these shots from Neogaf, which would indicate they have no issues rubbing elbows with racists and sexists.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
AquariusZi doubt lockhart is coming this year since the "smaller" SoC still in verification, though it's his personal thinking.
(the first part is about PS5 so i didn't translate it)

Re: [情報] Phil Spencer接受IGN採訪,談論XSX策略 - XBOX板 - PTT Web

認真回→ commandoEX: 其實拉時脈對良率影響還蠻有限的...對供電衝擊大很多 04/03 17:34應該這樣說現在就是看索索的方案是否已經過了目前輪班星製程的I/V甜蜜點如果是,再拉時脈的話廢熱肯定會爆炸如果還沒過的話可能可以再拉一點,但是...

另外講個跟本版比較有關的
除非軟軟現在突然發瘋
不然首發機99.5%不會有雙版本
另一顆在驗證的小SoC肯定趕不上今年末
...應該啦

Oct 25, 2017
AquariusZi doubt lockhart is coming this year since the "smaller" SoC still in verification, though it's his personal thinking.
(the first part is about PS5 so i don't translate it)

Re: [情報] Phil Spencer接受IGN採訪,談論XSX策略 - XBOX板 - PTT Web

認真回→ commandoEX: 其實拉時脈對良率影響還蠻有限的...對供電衝擊大很多 04/03 17:34應該這樣說現在就是看索索的方案是否已經過了目前輪班星製程的I/V甜蜜點如果是,再拉時脈的話廢熱肯定會爆炸如果還沒過的話可能可以再拉一點,但是...

If true...
XSX $399 confirmed :)

/jk

Remark

Oct 27, 2017
Yo what happened to the Discord, I was in there and now it's gone. Did I get kicked or something?

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
So a new XboxEra Discord hasn't been made yet? I was so confused because I thought I was removed for either not being active enough or perhaps doing something wrong. Glad I wasn't the only one lol

I'd love to be back in if it ever exists again!

Skedaddle

May 3, 2019
Europe

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
A friend of mine and I just did this a few weeks ago. Neither of us had played the game before and we started up together. Essentially, you would each start up your own campaign. There is a 30ish minute tutorial you each will play separately. We did the tutorial while talking on the mics. Then, he got into his game first so I joined his game. You can drop in and out at any time and go back to your own campaign at any time. You take your survivors with you and you can swap each one out on the fly. I would recommend the more competent gamer be the person you join. So, if you are the person more used to gaming mechanics, you allow your friend to jump into your game after you start it up each time you play. The reason being it is more complicated for the person whose campaign you are in. The base building is complex, the supplies are complex. So, if your friend really just wants to go out and kill zombies with you, they should join your game. They can totally go back to their own campaign and play as well and you can join theirs if you want to switch off, though.
The 2nd game is much better than the first imo. So i'd play the 2nd one, don't need to play the first one. There is a simple story in the first game, but these games aren't really about story, and the ones they do tell aren't very good imo. Think of the games like mmos and how much story you might get from a random WoW fetch quest and that is what you have here. Oh and the first game doesn't have multiplayer, only the 2nd.

The games are basically if you put EA's The Sims into a Zombie Apocalypse. You build a community and a base, and try to survive. In the main game mode, called "the Campaign". You start out the game by selecting 3 random characters (or 3 characters from previous communities), with specific traits, and then a map. There are 4 maps in this mode, and you can move your community between all 4 if you want. I'd definitely start with the one they added recently, Providence Ridge. Its more streamlined for new players. You gradually recruit more characters with their own special traits and build up to bigger bases. The game has permadeath, so if a character of yours dies, they ain't coming back.

You can complete a map and see the end credits by destroying all of the "blood plagues" on a map and completing all of your community leader's goals (called Legacy Goals I believe). You'll get some perks for future play throughs. For example by completing the "Builder" leader goal, you get free power and water for your base. And the characters in that community can be used in future playthroughs. Starting a game with a leveled up character and some of the perks is quite nice.

Of course, you can ignore those goals and try to survive as long as possible. People like to do a 100 day challenge. The game can be quite rough, especially on the hardest difficulty. Make one small mistake and suddenly you are in a world of trouble.

The 2nd game mode is "Heartland". This was DLC that was released last year, which is included in the Juggernaut Edition. Its set in the first game's map, and has a simple story like the first game. I didn't play it much, didn't quite like it. I have never found the story stuff in the first game or this game mode very good, but some people absolutely love it and begged Undead Labs for something so this is what they released.

The third game mode is "Daybreak". Its just a simple siege style game. You defend against zombie attacks. You can earn points in this mode to be used in the main game mode for a special trader if you want.

As for the coop in the Campaign mode, both of you will need to start a community in the campaign yourself first. Once you reach the base and claim it, should take like 5 mins if you skip the tutorial, may not be able to on first playthroughs, don't remember. You will be able to join other people's games with one of those characters in that community. The multiplayer is peer to peer, so it is hit or miss. Lots of people have complained about errors and dropouts so be warned. It works on a rubber band type system so the person that is joining the game can only get so far away from the host. And only the host can manage the base. So it will have limitations for the 2nd player. Its kinda like the new Animal Crossing in a way. But fun anyway.

As for recommendation, play the 2nd game. The mode "Campaign" and on the map "Providence Ridge" I believe that map is the default map now anyway, so it should dump you in that map after the tutorial. The game is on PC btw as well. Microsoft Store, Steam and Epic Game Store, and of course Game Pass for PC. So don't need to buy a xbox if you have a PC capable. Its cross-play between every version.

edit: and as for the graphic changes. They didn't do much. New lighting system and better road textures. Its certainly better than before, but nothing special.

Also for new players, I recommend looking through this guide:

www.stateofdecay.com

State of Decay 2 Player Guide [PDF Download Available]

Survive the zombie apocalypse with the definitive State of Decay 2 player guide. View and Download the PDF player guide here.

and looking through the "how to play" section in the menu of the game when playing.

Thanks to you both for all the tips, really appreciated! I'll definitely start with SOD2.

The sort of asymmetric multiplayer actually sounds pretty good, since this is the type of game that I'll play a few times a month but my friend might end up playing a ton. Sounds like she can go do her thing and I can just join into her campaign whenever it works out, without us having to wait on or "level with" the other - right?

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to you both for all the tips, really appreciated! I'll definitely start with SOD2.

The sort of asymmetric multiplayer actually sounds pretty good, since this is the type of game that I'll play a few times a month but my friend might end up playing a ton. Sounds like she can go do her thing and I can just join into her campaign whenever it works out, without us having to wait on or "level with" the other - right?
Yeah you can play together no matter how much you have played.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I've always thought he was being massively underutilized. He's never aligned to a single project to focus on is he?
It isnt really his job. He is tight to many projects. Some more then other offcourse. Kinda amazing job really. He is now working on Tell me Why for the most and abit on Flight Simulator.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
It isnt really his job. He is tight to many projects. Some more then other offcourse. Kinda amazing job really. He is now working on Tell me Why for the most and abit on Flight Simulator.

I see, I thought someone of his credentials would have been focused on a bigger task as opposed to multiple IPs. Interesting take on the creative role.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I just wanted to say that I've always enjoyed coming into this thread. It's been the safe haven for Xbox fans on a forum that has often had hostile posters in many other Xbox-related threads, with some of these threads allowed to be open for too long. Things have gotten slightly better lately but quite often there are still issues. I want this thread continuously to be this positive place. Thank you.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Man, I can't deny that I'm jaleous of PS4 owners now with FF7R.

So far SE hasn't said anything concrete about what systems it will also release on when that goddamned year exclusive shit ends, right? We all assume it will come to Xbox, but I wish they would just confirm it. For all we know it could come to PC and that's it. Worst case scenario, absolutely.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Dark souls remastered worth $24? I loved Dark souls 3 and finished it twice, DS2 made me feel ill (might've been the color pallet) Xbox store.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Don Arceta is now Art Director at Playground ( Horizon Team ).
www.artstation.com

Don Arceta

I am the Art Director for Forza Horizon at Playground Games from Edmonton Canada with a background in environment art. I have over 16 years of professional industry experience crafting worlds and leading teams for Bioware's successful Mass Effect Trilogy, Anthem, and Playground Games'...

Great news imo.

nice!

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Game Pass talk is policed in this thread

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Man, I can't deny that I'm jaleous of PS4 owners now with FF7R.

So far SE hasn't said anything concrete about what systems it will also release on when that goddamned year exclusive shit ends, right? We all assume it will come to Xbox, but I wish they would just confirm it. For all we know it could come to PC and that's it. Worst case scenario, absolutely.
if you really love JP games then you should have bought PS4 long ago...

but anyway the game will come to Xbox and PC next April

Status
Not open for further replies.