• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Will do.

Great news anyway that Halo will have RT!

Actually, re-reading it they're talking about the PC release, so it's not pointless for that market. As things stand, NVidia are the only ones doing hardware RT in the PC space, so when AMD's RDNA2 cards come out, the PC release will have to cover both. But then, I suppose everything will be going through DX anyway, so...

For console though, it's not relevant.

Last edited:

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Please be Halo Reach 2/ODST2. The lore in this universe is amazing potential.

Some of the best campaigns I've ever played.

Reach and ODST are the best games Bungie has ever made. I guess when your freedom's on the line, you tend to whole-ass things? Either way, a new ODST game would be very welcome, though I'm partial to a Spartan-IV-focused game where you can explore the Infinity on your downtime and listen to fellow Spartans bicker about the accuracy of the Lockout remake in the War Games Simulator:

Spartan 1: "What's the point of having the jumps to BR3 when we can just clamber up there?"

Spartan 2: "It's not Lockout without those jumps! What if we want to do battle on classic settings?"

Spartan 1: "There's no real-world situation where we wouldn't just climb it and end up there anyway, BRAD. This is training for actual combat."

Spartan 2: "GAMES. GAMES. WAR GAMES. It's a game, you tryhard!"

Spartan 1: "1v1 me. Octagon. Snipers only."

Spartan 3: "Why am I the only one who makes fresh coffee around here? It's not that hard, people!"

I want THAT game.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
It is since halo odst that i wish for a rpg set in the halo universe....just imagine obsidian working on it

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Reach and ODST are the best games Bungie has ever made. I guess when your freedom's on the line, you tend to whole-ass things? Either way, a new ODST game would be very welcome, though I'm partial to a Spartan-IV-focused game where you can explore the Infinity on your downtime and listen to fellow Spartans bicker about the accuracy of the Lockout remake in the War Games Simulator:

Spartan 1: "What's the point of having the jumps to BR3 when we can just clamber up there?"

Spartan 2: "It's not Lockout without those jumps! What if we want to do battle on classic settings?"

Spartan 1: "There's no real-world situation where we wouldn't just climb it and end up there anyway, BRAD. This is training for actual combat."

Spartan 3: "Why am I the only one who makes fresh coffee around here? It's not that hard, people!"

I want THAT game.

Ok, now I want that game, too.

In another timeline, Halo 4 was followed up by an ODST-alike that introduced Osiris, and Halo 5 was an all-Chief (+Blue Team) game.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
I'm so thirsty for some Halo news. Surely we're not going to have to wait til June to see how it looks on XSX.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
I'm so thirsty for some Halo news. Surely we're not going to have to wait til June to see how it looks on XSX.

Since the E3 2019 dev blog said that E3 2020 will be " a big moment for Halo Infinite", I'd consider that to be the next moment that we'll be seeing Halo Infinite in action with a steady push of info drops up to launch.

As for what's next, E3 2020 will be a big moment for Halo Infinite. Until we reach that destination in 2020, we'll continue to embrace the mystery and wonder of Halo and the endless opportunity and potential of this engine, this hardware and, most of all, this team.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
Since the E3 2019 dev blog said that E3 2020 will be " a big moment for Halo Infinite", I'd consider that to be the next moment that we'll be seeing Halo Infinite in action with a steady push of info drops up to launch.

Damn, seems like we won't get much until then.

I really hope they include a F2P BR mode. I know a lot of people don't want that as BR is quite "Trendy" but it would be a great way to get more eyes on the game. Halo is perfect to for BR imo.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, seems like we won't get much until then.

I really hope they include a F2P BR mode. I know a lot of people don't want that as BR is quite "Trendy" but it would be a great way to get more eyes on the game. Halo is perfect to for BR imo.
343 Halo has followed enough trends. Just give me a great Halo game.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Putting this here since it's has been REALLY good.

45K people watching an AOE2 tournament. I really hope AOE4 delivers.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
A halo br could work but it needs to be separate from infinite and made by a diff studio

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

From XSX deep dive :

DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core. So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."

i don't think sony has an equivalent? the CPU will not be overloaded while the PS5 DMA controller will work alongside the CPU

From PS5 deep dive :

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

Deleted member 62280

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 18, 2019
DirectStorage – DirectStorage is an all new I/O system designed specifically for gaming to unleash the full performance of the SSD and hardware decompression. It is one of the components that comprise the Xbox Velocity Architecture. Modern games perform asset streaming in the background to continuously load the next parts of the world while you play, and DirectStorage can reduce the CPU overhead for these I/O operations from multiple cores to taking just a small fraction of a single core; thereby freeing considerable CPU power for the game to spend on areas like better physics or more NPCs in a scene. This newest member of the DirectX family is being introduced with Xbox Series X and we plan to bring it to Windows as well.

From XSX deep dive :

DirectX - DirectStorage - a necessary upgrade bearing in mind that existing file I/O protocols are knocking on for 30 years old, and in their current form would require two Zen CPU cores simply to cover the overhead, which DirectStorage reduces to just one tenth of single core.

"It's less latent and it saves a ton of CPU. With the best competitive solution, we found doing decompression software to match the SSD rate would have consumed three Zen 2 CPU cores. When you add in the IO CPU overhead, that's another two cores. So the resulting workload would have completely consumed five Zen 2 CPU cores when now it only takes a tenth of a CPU core. So in other words, to equal the performance of a Series X at its full IO rate, you would need to build a PC with 13 Zen 2 cores. That's seven cores dedicated for the game: one for Windows and shell and five for the IO and decompression overhead."

i don't think sony has an equivalent? the CPU will not be overloaded while the PS5 DMA controller will work alongside the CPU

From PS5 deep dive :

A dedicated DMA controller (equivalent to one or two Zen 2 cores in performance terms) directs data to where it needs to be, while two dedicated, custom processors handle I/O and memory mapping. On top of that, coherency engines operate as housekeepers of sorts.

Interesting DF really will have their hands full come fall Dark1x Dictator I'm excited to see your interpretation on how well these two systems actually perform in the real world.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Just ordered the LG 27GL850 online and just wondering how the Xbox One X works with 1440p/120hz. It's going to output games at the X enhanced version and downscale right? Not upscale from 1080? Idk I just realized it might fuck up since it's not a standard res

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Just ordered the LG 27GL850 online and just wondering how the Xbox One X works with 1440p/120hz. It's going to output games at the X enhanced version and downscale right? Not upscale from 1080? Idk I just realized it might fuck up since it's not a standard res
You have a One X so it will use that res and downscale it 1440p.
One X support 1440p.

Karate Kid

Banned
Jan 29, 2018
5a2c29b301e4c58e926d3c7e9c49eb0041066b3c9b029343f6e9e9f8aa5381c2.jpg

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People talk about how Halo shouldn't do BR because they should stop chasing trends, but a Halo BR is the only trend that I think the fanbase has ever actually requested. Like, I don't know who ever asked for custom loadouts, perks, ADS, and a MOBA mode.

Halo's vehicle sandbox already lends itself to the BR formula, to be honest. I'd love a standalone F2P Halo BR that plays in the Infinite engine.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Its how these studios share their expertise thats even more exciting. Just some examples:

Ninja Theory are the kings of Mocap, this is something that can be shared across all teams especially The Coalition, The Initiative.

Fable RPG can get a great critique with In-Exile, Obsidian's RPG Expertise.

Rare's shared world Multiplayer experience would bode well for State of Decay 3, Flight Simulator, AoE4.

Halo & Turn 10's 60fps expertise can be applied to some other studios.

The Coalition's Unreal engine optimizations & PC expertise would be amazing for other studios like SoD3, Hellblade 2 who also use unreal.

this

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
From Chris Lee : This same attention to our design for the Chief is true of everything in Halo Infinite.

I can't wait to see what technologies they put in an Halo infinite, I'm sure Halo infinite will benefit from a new generation of Physics but also from artificial intelligence, and some DirectML sauce.

The narrative experience director of Halo Infinite said that Slipspace engine would display an incredible number of NPCs on the screen.

I'm sure DF will be happy to dissect the Slipspace Engine.

Look at this detail :

hi_e319_bspk_goforth_wtrmk-62001cb6b9724bc59c6f5a8c32d38b0d.jpg

And the engine since time is still improving.

Aug 26, 2018
People talk about how Halo shouldn't do BR because they should stop chasing trends, but a Halo BR is the only trend that I think the fanbase has ever actually requested. Like, I don't know who ever asked for custom loadouts, perks, ADS, and a MOBA mode.

Halo's vehicle sandbox already lends itself to the BR formula, to be honest. I'd love a standalone F2P Halo BR that plays in the Infinite engine.

Completely agree.

Chasing trends is not always a bad idea, if it is done right with a strong IP to bring in those initial numbers, its great especially for a game like Halo which is tailormade for a BR game.

343i have not really had the foot on the pedal especially managing the IP, I will be criticized for this in this thread, but they should have focused on building a kick-ass app like COD ( which has 75 Million players on Android & iOS) and building a standalone F2P BR.

Their main team can go and do their thing but they should have pitched it to Phil and management. They are spending all this money on Halo Outpost Discovery which reaches a tiny amount of people compared to the ideas proposed above.

Although, I completly agree with the direction their main team is taking with resurrecting MCC and taking time after Halo 5 to step back and build a monumental game. Also their Showtime series seem to be finally on track.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
A Halo BR where players are ODST's will be what genuinely gets me back into BR since peak PUBG.

That being said I'd be completely happy with just having a new Halo sp and mp to play.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
From Chris Lee : This same attention to our design for the Chief is true of everything in Halo Infinite.

I can't wait to see what technologies they put in an Halo infinite, I'm sure Halo infinite will benefit from a new generation of Physics but also from artificial intelligence, and some DirectML sauce.

The narrative experience director of Halo Infinite said that Slipspace engine would display an incredible number of NPCs on the screen.

Look at this detail :

It's so damn beautiful. 😍

I'm just hoping it's mind blowing gorgeous when it releases with a great single player campaign.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people keep saying f2p when / if it ever happened, it would be on gamepass. F2p would only means they'd add more py restrictions

Give this mans mod authority, he has good taste

F2P BR is how you get the biggest player base if you're not already the number one shooter on the market.

Game Pass doesn't mean a lot for the large amounts of Steam only players. If it was in the Infinite Style, it could also act as a gateway into vanilla Halo Infinite. Honestly it'd just be better for the Halo brand awareness.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Not a bad title, I like it. I still would have voted for "DmC is the Best Devil May Cry" but I'll take this.

No offence but after some people's reaction to the Gears 5 OT, I'll refrain myself from poking some sort of hornet's nest on the site. Especially with how DmC vs DMC threads are going on in here. Going for a subtle Kung Fu Chaos reference sounded pretty much cool on paper so 🤷‍♂️

I did like the level design in DmC more than in DMC5 though and it's cool to see that at least one of the two got Vergil DLC...

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

Look at this detail :

The Halo Infinite gameplay reveal is going to be so god damn epic. I can't wait to see what 343i has been working on for 5 years.

Give me a trailer of Chief slowly standing up, showing the way the games have looked since 2001, progressing from game to game with Cortana/Halsey talking about John then ending with him going into a fight in Infinite showing off the power of the Series X.

And supplement that with a nice gameplay trailer showing the scale of the game. The amount of enemies and friendlies in a firefight, vehicles, Guardians, everything.

One Night

Jun 6, 2018
Yeah they've been talking about "Halo FPS Project" in job listings a long time now, and not for other listings, also before Infinite was called Infinite, and after HW2, suggesting there's another team there working on something Halo non-FPS. Otherwise why mention FPS.
Ah ok. That's great! I'm hoping for an RPG in the vein of Mass Effect. Rag tag squad where you play a Spartan III and ONI has you choose your squad made up of a Spartan II, couple of Spartan IVs, an ODST, UNSC scientist etc. Would love to see a game tackle commentary regarding the different Spartans and I think a Mass Effect style game could achieve that, where you have the personalities and perspectives clash, not dissimilar to the Avengers scene on bird the helicarrier.

Wait what prompted you to say this?
"Unknown project" is included in the original post, top of this thread.

Aug 26, 2018

I want THAT game.

Amen!

AoE4 could be huge. But it's really hard to top AoE2.

Crazy how many franchises we all think have potential to be huge. Shows how much Xbox has improved with its software potential already.

AoE4 has the biggest potential after Halo Infinite to blow up on Twitch/Mixer of all the XGS games.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

From XSX deep dive :

From PS5 deep dive :

nice!

True_fan

Banned
Mar 19, 2020
MSFT promised a beta for all Halo games after MCC. Halo 5 had a beta 11 months before release. I do wonder what's going on with Infinite. Also unless its a premier 100% ready product, I would rather them delay the game. 343 is under pressure to release a flawless, complete game, No but's or missing content.

Status
Not open for further replies.