• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Some indicate FPS but not ACv

20205811594290_1.jpg

EXbfW18WAAANmip

EXbfXRkWkAAtURZ
So Dirt 5 is 4K 120FPS???

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched the Geof interview with Aaron Greenberg, Michael Pachter and Peter Moore. Peter and Mike believe MS will undercut Sony at whatever price Sony goes for...says MS has never been healthier as a company and they will easily find other ways to offset the loss.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I would say 3 RPG studios, but 4(-5) RPG teams.

To be honest I'm open to have 10+ RPG studios/teams at XGS :)

You are SO speaking my language right now. RPG is my absolute favorite genre in gaming. The way you can get lost in these worlds and just "live" in it, I love it.

Do have to add to that, that I mostly prefer the third/first person RPGs with real-time combat systems. I'm not all that much in favor of the isometric ones. If your RPG is third or first person I'm there!

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
Just watched the Geof interview with Aaron Greenberg, Michael Pachter and Peter Moore. Peter and Mike believe MS will undercut Sony at whatever price Sony goes for...says MS has never been healthier as a company and they will easily find other ways to offset the loss.

That was mainly Pachter saying that. Not sure I take Pachter's predictions very seriously, to be honest.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think Halo Infinite will be the best looking game of all time?

No. Infinite being the rookie outing for SlipSpace and still handcuffed by the Xbox One makes me think it's going to look good but other games will surpass it. The follow up in 2023 though...

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
I'm looking at Obsidian's latest hires for AAA RPG unannounced project. Oh my God, so many very talented people.

Paul Burg (RDR2, The Last of Us 2, gameplay programmer) - 1 yr and 1 month at Obsidian
Long Nguyen (COD: AW, Uncharted 4, character animator ) - 1 yr and 4 months at Obsidian
Martin Smith (BioWare 6 yrs, senior systems designer) - 2 months at Obsidian
Hoya Lee (Destiny 2, COD: MW, The Order 1886, senior lighting artist) - 4 months at Obsidian
Lucien Soulban (Farcry 3&4, Lead Writer 10 yrs) - 3 months at Obsidian

---

+ many others

I think that we can expect biggest advancement in production values of any Obsidian's game to date. New hires mainly target animation department and lighting department - places where Obsidian was weakest.

Knottian

Banned
Mar 5, 2019
That was mainly Pachter saying that. Not sure I take Pachter's predictions very seriously, to be honest.
I wouldn't take much of what Pachter says seriously... however, I think in this case he's simply mirroring the sentiments that Phil and others have been saying for months now, so I don't consider it much of a prediction. Microsoft is a trillion-dollar company worth more than ten times what Sony is (yes I know liquidity isn't equal to market cap but the comparison trends on that front too), and they have far more wiggle room to undercut and make up for via GamePass, other areas. Ryan McCaffrey and Ybarrra both have echoed the same sentiments. I would be fine with the console being more expensive given the tech that's there compared to the PS5, but I would honestly be surprised if that turned out to be the case given those echoes.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
The fact this is made by ONE person is mind blowing.

One has to wonder if/when China will become a power player in game development. From the bits I've seen, many of the games coming out of China look a little rough around the edges compared to those from Japan/USA/UK/etc.... but they're closing the gap quickly.

No.

I think that we can expect biggest advancement in production values of any Obsidian's game to date. New hires mainly target animation department and lighting department - places where Obsidian was weakest.

Obsidian games with good production values would be an absolute blessing. They're already my favorite XGS studio as it is; fix their biggest problems and look out.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Now this is out of the way we can focus on Minecraft Dungeons. Right Microsoft?
They'll start marketing it soon. Any day now. Any day now...
Plausible, but Michael Pachter isn't worth taking seriously.

Not sure about Peter Moore, is he another analyst? Got it, thanks guys

Last edited:

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox needs to update their website. Under the games section drop down Xbox series x isn't listed. There is a link somewhere else in the front page but they should keep things copasetic. Also on Halo Infinite's page the game is just listed for Xbox one and windows 10 when we know it's a launch game for the series x as well. Not huge deals but I've always dislike how unorganized and slow to update their website is.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017

A big pet peeve of mine with gamers talking about things like "best looking" relative to hardware tech or use of it is that many times they are focused on the great work by the graphic artists or their preference for such artwork rather than what they think is use of the hardware. Naughty Dog for example have incredible artists and of course are very good technically too, but this idea that they are so much further along than any other AAA game or studio in graphics is largely due to the work by the artists. From a pure tech standpoint you would be hard pressed to find anything much better looking or impressive than Gears 5 for example. I suspect that Halo Infinite will be an incredible use of hardware that looks and plays great, but it also isn't a slower playing linear cinematic action adventure game with a certain artistic approach either.

Not that Xbox hasn't had some talented artists too, but I think that their first party studios growth in terms of acquisitions and hires is definitely going to make them more competitive with the artists that Sony has had in first party studios. I can't wait to see what Playground Games has going with that RPG/Fable and whatever The Initiative is working on too.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019

106 Jobs in Worldwide

Today’s 106 jobs in Worldwide. Leverage your professional network, and get hired. New Worldwide jobs added daily.
Playground Games is looking for a talented Lead Game Designer to manage an inter-studio team to design and implement high quality game features in our AAA open world RPG title.

As Lead Game Designer focused on co-development, you will contribute to the preparation of co-development mandates while taking responsibility for inter-studio collaboration and subsequent completion of design deliverables. You will clearly communicate with external studios to maintain understanding of project direction while forming strong, trusting relationships with external studio team members. You will deputise for the Chief Designer and keep PG teammates informed on co-development progress. You will be flexible, highly motivated and approachable, and will act as champion of quality across the entire project.

That's what I thought. Quite sure it's Sumo digital. Sumo digital recruited a lot of devs from Playground Games recently, and I had an assumption that it was going to be a satellite studio for their RPG.

Man, the game is going to be gigantic if Sumo digital co develops with Playground Games.

I think all XGS will have an external co-development studio. (not just for assets etc ... But graphics programming, Game Design, animation etc ...)

343i - Skybox Labs
The coalition - Splash Damage / Behavior interactive
Rare - Flix interactive

Noble

Oct 27, 2017

106 Jobs in Worldwide

Today’s 106 jobs in Worldwide. Leverage your professional network, and get hired. New Worldwide jobs added daily.

That's what I thought. Quite sure it's Sumo digital. Sumo digital recruited a lot of devs from Playground Games recently, and I had an assumption that it was going to be a satellite studio for their RPG.

Man, the game is going to be gigantic if Sumo digital co develops with Playground Games.

I think all XGS will have an external co-development studio. (not just for assets etc ... But graphics programming, Game Design, animation etc ...)

343i - Skybox Labs
The coalition - Splash Damage / Behavior interactive
Rare - Flix interactive

Most AAA studios have external studios helping them nowadays.

343 Industries actually has 3 that we know about: SkyBox, Sperasoft and Liquid Development

Probably will be the case for PG too.

I would also expect XGS studios to help each other internally more actively and visibly for future games too.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
What's currently the best looking game today? Is it still Crysis?
As others have mentioned it's all subjective and I think a lot of it is rooted in a person's memory of their experience with it.

For me, I think in the last 5 years, the 2015 Battlefront still made me go "wow, this is incredible" in a way that no other game as topped since.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Having just watched the IX stream, and reading through all the posts here since it aired, I think I'm just going to 'nope' out of all Xbox (well, all console-related) threads until perhaps these systems launch. Time is too precious to be spent wading through this.

Much of the reaction here truly baffles me - perhaps it's an age thing, perhaps I'm simply too old for this shit now, and out of touch with the needs of younger generations, but the hyperbole from some here is difficult to stomach. It's early May, for crying out loud - pull yourselves together, seriously.

All the games shown, bar Madden (simply as I'm not into American football) have my interest, and I look forward to seeing and hearing more about each of them - and I think that's the intention of events like this IX.

This is me. I don't have time for all the trolling anymore. I though the event was pretty good for what it was and there were more new games announced than I though with some great next gen visuals. It's interesting that some people didn't notice how next gen some of the games looked until they rewatched the trailers in 4k without so much artifacting.

It's only going to get better from here.

In Amber Clad

static and disarray
Aug 26, 2018
London

Do you have a link? I'm all for MS being extremely aggressive on price, as it means I will pay less :) currently have £160 in my Series X fund...

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

What I am wondering is, do they mean MS will undercut them with the XSX or Lockhart? I mean, they can charge 500 bucks for the XSX and the people that want the best will definitely pay that for it, while MS can then have the Lockhart be real low in price and that way undercutting PS5. I really don't think MS is willing to go lower with the XSX price than Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.