• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Better business purchase? Bungie no doubt. Bringing the expansions to Game Pass while keeping cross play and cross progression would drive many Destiny fanatics to either PC or console Game Pass. Mix in Destiny on the go as part of Ultimate and you have a tent pole Game Pass Ultimate experience. A grindy, forgiving game like Destiny is perfect for on the go.

Then work with Bungie for a new IP while keeping up enough manpower to manage Destiny on all platforms.

WB is more exciting for Xbox gamers because it will equal more new games but Bungie is the better business move that probably pays for itself rather than being a net loss on the income statement. Because it would pay for itself, doesn't hamstring Microsoft from still going for other studios like Asobo.
Yeah, Bungie is easily the lower risk, high reward in comparison to the WB games purchase. Destiny would remain multiplatform and would continue to be a revenue source while Bungie builds another team to create new IP for Xbox ecosystem.
Listen, I don't know you personally and probably in real life we could also have a beer together :D

I was simply pointing out that your post directed to Rand seemed to imply somehow the same old narrative of "we should be silent and quite because in the end we will be disappointed" Also discussing about unrealistic expecations and ending up in disappointment like in May...ok..fair..but I think next week it simply won't be the case, that's all.

And Yes, I am excited for the show. A lot! And I personally thank people like Rand, Jez, Klobrille, and many others who contribute to drive joy and happiness along the way with their contents.
It's all good. I'm definitely excited for the show.

Let's enjoy next week together. :-)

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wild prediction time: New Banjo published by XGS developed by Playtonic Games an released on XBO/XSX/XGP/.........Nintendo Switch

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Rand, once again it was not based on your excitement level but you contributing to actually overhyping it. Anyway, if you don't see it that way then that's fine but it was something I noticed in your recent videos. Nothing personal just a listener sharing how he felt about it in this thread.

I'm confident Xbox will have at minimum a really solid show.
Napkin math:
MS has 15 internal studios, each has (let's say) on average 1.6 teams. That gives 24 projects in the pipeline, of which we've had a glimpse at about 9 (H:I, AOE4, AOE3DE, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Everwild, Wasteland 3, Grounded, Psychonauts 2). Let's assume MS has 8 projects with external developers, and we know about 3 (Fligh Sim, Battletoads, Tell Me Why). That gives us 20 first party games we haven't seen, and I don't think it would be too much to reveal 20-25% of them at once.

So I'd expect 4-5 new first party announcements, deeper dive at Halo: Infinite (I assume an Xbox fan is likely to enjoy Halo), further look at other already revealed games (eg. Psychonauts 2 or Hellblade 2), several high profile 3rd party trailers and you have a lot to look forward to and be excited about while not dreaming about far-fetched scenarios.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a question, do we think there will be a Halo Infinite special edition console at launch? Pretty sure every game since Halo 2 has had an LE console at launch, but I wonder if they'll spring for it this time in order to just simplify the lineup.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Napkin math:
MS has 15 internal studios, each has (let's say) on average 1.6 teams. That gives 24 projects in the pipeline, of which we've had a glimpse at about 9 (H:I, AOE4, AOE3DE, Hellblade 2, Project Mara, Everwild, Wasteland 3, Grounded, Psychonauts 2). Let's assume MS has 8 projects with external developers, and we know about 3 (Fligh Sim, Battletoads, Tell Me Why). That gives us 20 first party games we haven't seen, and I don't think it would be too much to reveal 20-25% of them at once.

So I'd expect 4-5 new first party announcements, deeper dive at Halo: Infinite (I assume an Xbox fan is likely to enjoy Halo), further look at other already revealed games (eg. Psychonauts 2 or Hellblade 2), several high profile 3rd party trailers and you have a lot to look forward to and be excited about while not dreaming about far-fetched scenarios.
I think it's safe to assume we'll see lots of games during Xbox Game Showcase. LOL

m23

Oct 25, 2017
I think he means gameplay. Shinobi is good peoples, he's not one of those insiders that thinks nothing of misleading people. But still, I will just wait and see. That's always the best thing to do.

That's not what he's saying. He is saying yes, that he knows whether it'll just be a trailer or gameplay, he isn't saying which. Why would he leak that...

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leaning Bungie/Destiny on that poll. I wonder what the individual price for those would be. What's worth more, the IP or the studio?

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We see a lot of games at every E3 conference, yet most of the time they're fairly barren in terms of 1st party announcements. This time we'll see more of them.
Oh no doubt. It's what makes this show exciting and what Xbox has been setting themselves up for next gen after all the moves they made the past several years.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
We see a lot of games at every E3 conference, yet most of the time they're fairly barren in terms of 1st party announcements. This time we'll see more of them.
Yep, exactly. We'll see fewer games overall this year, yet all the more first-party content. A bit of a shift from quantity to quality and the content that actually matters to convince players to enter the Xbox ecosystem you could say. There still will be third-party of course, but the focus is XGS.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
All I said was yes 😄
tenor.gif

Oct 19, 2018
3abc16fdb198a456afd9767ccae7311628f45c55.png

The Xbox Games Showcase begins in just 120 hours; in the lead up to the event we are looking at what to expect from each first party studio - today we look at Rare.

Acquired in 2002, Rare has seen plenty of ups and downs as member of Xbox. Known primarily for their incredible output on Nintendo consoles, they've been working hard to reach those heights again. Coming into the current generation, Rare had chosen to focus on Kinect, as they had produced two successful games on 360, with another planned for the launch of the Xbox One. When the Kinect crashed and burned, Rare was forced to return to normal game development - which has been a total blessing. Rare Replay (2015), a collection of thirty Rare games from the past thirty years was released to celebrate the company. Sea of Thieves (2018) demonstrated a new direction for Rare, and thanks to continued post release support, it has thrived and provided optimism for the company going forward to push their creative boundaries and provide unexpected new experiences.

Rare currently has a pretty full plate of projects; overseeing Battletoads in conjunction with Dlala Studios, continuing to support Sea of Thieves, and of course working on their newest project, Everwild. Battletoads seems close to release, recently rated in Brazil, and is currently planned to come to Xbox One. While its has been widely critiqued on the internet, it received generally positive hands on reviews, and with another year of development completed it will be interesting to see how the final product is judged. With Sea of Thieves continuing to find its niche, there's no signs of development stopping soon. There's like a Series X patch underway and some new content planned to align with the release of the Series S/X. Its been exciting to see Sea of Thieves power through the critiques of lacking content and attack them head on, a real testament to Rare's dedication. The biggest question is Everwild, just what is it? Judging by the trailer, and their own words, it seems to be something truly original and hard to pin down from a comparison standpoint. Its visuals are strikingly similar to Sea of Thieves, and while there are hints of other players, they don't behave in a manner consistent with live players. We've heard it rumored to contain god elements, but to what extent, and to what end? Now comes the time to beat the drums of the Banjo-Kazooie speculation, its tradition. Gregg Mayles is currently without a known project, and after last year's Smash Bros appearance, the time to capitalize is now. Whether they are actually working on a game beyond Sea of Thieves or Everwild is unknown, but its certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. Its also important to note that while Rare has focused on new IPs, it hasn't abandoned its old ones given the proper idea, or pitch from an outside studio - so a title like Battletoads could certainly be in development for a different legacy IP.

Rare is going to be at the show, as Everwild will present itself a little more clearly to everyone. Its been in development longer than most believed, some time in 2017, there should be something to show from a gameplay standpoint. Sea of Thieves might be absent, or it could be in the pre-show, but seems its not likely to have a slot in the premier Showcase. On a similar note, Battletoads won't show up either unless it is shadow dropped during the pre-show. So will Everwild be Rare's only game shown? I think not, I believe another project could be revealed - it could be a remake, a new Battletoads like partnership, or maybe something totally new. Like every other studio, Rare has been staffing up, and its very possible another game beyond what is known has been in development and is ready to show.

Do you expect to see Rare at the Showcase - If so, what are your hopes? If not, why and when will we see them next?

- 120 Hours Remain -

*If I forget anything or the wording/information is off, feel free to let me know in a post or DM and I'll edit it in; same goes for things you may think I'm unaware of for studios I've yet to post. I try to keep track of everything, but I may lose sight of some smaller things and rumors so all resources are appreciated!

Click the image below to see the posts for each studio that has been revealed so far.
World's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge The Coalition inXile Entertainment Compulsion Games Undead Labs Mojang Studios The Initiative Turn 10 Studios Double Fine Productions Xbox Game Studios Publishing

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Do you guys think 2021 will be a gap year? Everything seems really far away 2022 and beyond. We are playing Halo at launch and then...?

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
Oh it is never enough Theory. I think I have le my expectations go too crazy. I now EXPECT:
  • Halo: Infinite
  • Fable
  • Hellblade 2
  • Everwild
  • Obsidian's AAA RPG
  • Forza
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Flight Sim
  • Gears tactics consoe
When was the last time MS has had a lineup like that? It's crazy for me to see that many first party games and be underwhelmed. I know I wanted see huge surprises but they can fill an hour with just those games. I can't really blame MS for not surprising me he I have basically gone out of my way to spoil the show. I those games show up, I am happy man. Nevermind the preshow and the 61+ "demos" starting all next week.

Add a reboot/new IP AA from XGP (Japanese)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Hey guys: Just wanted to list some thoughts as I drink on some good local beer. Love the summer.

First off, I genuinely believe they are positioning the xCloud service as a "demo" or gateway drug to the ecosystem. Gamepass was the first gateway drug they tried and it did well, but now they're expanding it in such a great way. Let's say 10 million people try game pass and xCloud. 10% of those people might look and say, huh, this experience is suboptima and hey it's great for what it is and I don't blame them, but I'm in the middle of Montana with 10 mbps DL speed. What should I do now? Well, Xbox Lockhart or Xbox One S is $200-300 bucks, maybe I'll hop in there and get a more tangible experience without breaking the bank. Then, the people who have the capacity to do so, might go the extra mile and think ehhhh it's only 100-200 more, so maybe I'll just get the legit one, they say it's the most powerful console ever, might as well try it. None of this is really news. I just didn't see xCloud as this huge gateway drug for the Xbox hardware until right now personally. I'm excited for this future.

Second, I have a plan now. I'm buying Series X and PS5 disc version at launch. I will buy Cyberpunk and Spiderman Miles Morales. Depending how I feel, I might also dive into AC Valhalla, but I doubt it. I'll have Halo Infinite and The Medium on Game Pass on PC and Xbox Series X to also dive into. I know I'm out like $1100-$1200 because of this plan and I know that I probably won't get to all of the games this holiday season because I work a significant amount, but I think it's worth it. It's within my budget unless my car needs MUCH more repairs than what I predict (windshield wiper and headlight, plus regular tire rotation and oil change).

Third, to go off of what I just said, I just don't see how people can miss the insane value add of the Xbox ecosystem and how each game will speak to tons of devices in a clean way. I mean I CURRENTLY go between Halo 3 on PC and Xbox. I play Forza on both PC and Xbox. Being able to do something like that on an iPad would be tremendous for me, especially for small indie titles on game pass. And each time you play, you get achievements. You can even retain all your old games on Xbox 360 or Xbox One and, guess what, they know have HDR, improved frame rates, and better load times! Like. HUH!? How!?

Finally, I don't expect the show next week to blow my mind. I just don't think they're where they need to be to accomplish that. I am hoping I am blown away, I just don't expect to be. But I've never been more interested in Halo. I can tell you that much. The last time I cared about Halo this much was when I was waiting for Halo 3 to release in September 2007. They have the opportunity to stop being compared to Bungie by changing the game. To clarify, when I say change the game, I mean structurally! By changing what it means to be Halo. This is the ONLY way people will stop saying LOL BUNGIE DID IT BETTER. They can say Bungie did it differently and I prefer that way, but it's never this direct comparison. They can make Halo a different beast. I really hope they don't take half measures and just straight change it completely.

TLDR: xCloud is going to be a gateway drug for Xbox Hardware, personal hardware purchasing plans, Xbox value add is great, I've never been more excited for Halo and 343 has the opportunity to change what it means to be Halo and change that discourse in the Halo community between them and Bungie.

EDIT: So glad I got a workstation, desk too. Desks are underrated

agree, and well said :)

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
That's not what he's saying. He is saying yes, that he knows whether it'll just be a trailer or gameplay, he isn't saying which. Why would he leak that...

Hmm true. But that's why I said....wait and see. Don't get your hopes up when it isn't confirmed. Officially it isn't even confirmed that Pg's game will be there.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
My predictions for the show:
Pre-show
  • MCC ODST/Halo 4 info/tease
  • Gears 5 Series X including a new expansion
  • Sea of Thieves Series X including the next update and maybe something further out teased
  • Battletoads shadow drop
  • Tell Me Why episode 1 shadow drop
  • Minecraft raytracing Series X
  • Minecraft Dungeons DLC
  • Bleeding Edge character trailer
  • Grounded trailer/demo/interview
  • The Outer Worlds DLC trailer/interview
  • Wasteland 3 trailer/demo/interview
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator demo/interview
  • ID@XBOX announcements
  • Gamepass announcements
The show (14-15 games)
  • Halo Infinite 8-10 min campaign gameplay (Confirmed)
  • Forza Motorsport 8/reboot gameplay (Makes sense)
  • Everwild gameplay (Makes sense)
  • Fable gameplay (Shinobi)
  • Hellblade 2 gameplay (Matt Booty "Unveiling gameplay from some of are newer studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine")
  • State of Decay 3 trailer (Jez hinted at it)
  • Compulsion new IP trailer (They had some sort of art test ready last year, Greenberg was shown some sort of demo, Jez quickly danced around it)
  • Obsidian new IP gameplay (Matt Booty "Unveiling gameplay from Some of are newer studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine", Shinobi)
  • Psychonauts 2 gameplay (Matt Booty "Unveiling gameplay from some of are newer studios like Ninja Theory, Obsidian and Double Fine")
  • Age of Empires 4 trailer (Makes sense)
  • Big publishing game (probably a reboot, Matt Booty comments last year)
  • Medium or smaller publishing game (probably a new IP, Matt Booty comments last year)
  • Two or three big third party trailers/announcements (Makes sense)
What won't be there
  • Forza Horizon (Don't want two Forza's in a show)
  • Project Mara (Not close)
  • The Intiative (Later in the year)
  • Gears 6 (Not close)
  • Inxile's AAA RPG (Not close)
  • Double Fine's other game (Not close)
I think that would be a really, really great show.

My guess is we get Forza Horizon 4 expansion + Series X patch info in the pre-show.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Just to get that expectation right, I don't think anyone should expect a Fable announcement with a gameplay demo like what Halo Infinite will do.

I guess this will rather be in the Horizon II-trailer-like ballpark, so an in-engine trailer but somewhat indicative of what to expect. shinobi602 can feel free to set that straight, but I think this is just a fair expectation.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
My guess is we get Forza Horizon 4 expansion + Series X patch info in the pre-show.
FH4 Albion DLC please.

Just to get that expectation right, I don't think anyone should expect a Fable announcement with a gameplay demo like what Halo Infinite will do.

I guess this will rather be in the Horizon II-trailer-like ballpark, so an in-engine trailer but somewhat indicative of what to expect. shinobi602 can feel free to set that straight, but I think this is just a fair expectation.

As long as it's not CG and we get a good sense of what the game is I'll be happy.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I'd really like to see Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios try to make beautiful photorealistic games. My hope is Ninja Theory really pushes that direction with a new IP from in exile that isn't this top-down experience like Wasteland.

As someone who was just quoted above as being super stoked about his platform/ecosystem of choice since 2005, I play a game like Ghost of Tsushima and see this masterfully and beautifully created world, it just makes me think. How come we have no games like this on Xbox? The closest thing we have to photorealism for an exclusive is probably Quantum Break. I'm really hoping someone adopts that art style moving forward or it's going to be hard for Microsoft to say - check out our awesome graphics for Everwild, a cartoon game (with a great art style).

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to see Microsoft/Xbox Game Studios try to make beautiful photorealistic games. My hope is Ninja Theory really pushes that direction with a new IP from in exile that isn't this top-down experience like Wasteland.

As someone who was just quoted above as being super stoked about his platform/ecosystem of choice since 2005, I play a game like Ghost of Tsushima and see this masterfully and beautifully created world, it just makes me think. How come we have no games like this on Xbox? The closest thing we have to photorealism for an exclusive is probably Quantum Break. I'm really hoping someone adopts that art style moving forward or it's going to be hard for Microsoft to say - check out our awesome graphics for Everwild, a cartoon game (with a great art style).

Flight Simulator 2020

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
3abc16fdb198a456afd9767ccae7311628f45c55.png

The Xbox Games Showcase begins in just 120 hours; in the lead up to the event we are looking at what to expect from each first party studio - today we look at Rare.

Acquired in 2002, Rare has seen plenty of ups and downs as member of Xbox. Known primarily for their incredible output on Nintendo consoles, they've been working hard to reach those heights again. Coming into the current generation, Rare had chosen to focus on Kinect, as they had produced two successful games on 360, with another planned for the launch of the Xbox One. When the Kinect crashed and burned, Rare was forced to return to normal game development - which has been a total blessing. Rare Replay (2015), a collection of thirty Rare games from the past thirty years was released to celebrate the company. Sea of Thieves (2018) demonstrated a new direction for Rare, and thanks to continued post release support, it has thrived and provided optimism for the company going forward to push their creative boundaries and provide unexpected new experiences.

Rare currently has a pretty full plate of projects; overseeing Battletoads in conjunction with Dlala Studios, continuing to support Sea of Thieves, and of course working on their newest project, Everwild. Battletoads seems close to release, recently rated in Brazil, and is currently planned to come to Xbox One. While its has been widely critiqued on the internet, it received generally positive hands on reviews, and with another year of development completed it will be interesting to see how the final product is judged. With Sea of Thieves continuing to find its niche, there's no signs of development stopping soon. There's like a Series X patch underway and some new content planned to align with the release of the Series S/X. Its been exciting to see Sea of Thieves power through the critiques of lacking content and attack them head on, a real testament to Rare's dedication. The biggest question is Everwild, just what is it? Judging by the trailer, and their own words, it seems to be something truly original and hard to pin down from a comparison standpoint. Its visuals are strikingly similar to Sea of Thieves, and while there are hints of other players, they don't behave in a manner consistent with live players. We've heard it rumored to contain god elements, but to what extent, and to what end? Now comes the time to beat the drums of the Banjo-Kazooie speculation, its tradition. Gregg Mayles is currently without a known project, and after last year's Smash Bros appearance, the time to capitalize is now. Whether they are actually working on a game beyond Sea of Thieves or Everwild is unknown, but its certainly not beyond the realm of possibility. Its also important to note that while Rare has focused on new IPs, it hasn't abandoned its old ones given the proper idea, or pitch from an outside studio - so a title like Battletoads could certainly be in development for a different legacy IP.

Rare is going to be at the show, as Everwild will present itself a little more clearly to everyone. Its been in development longer than most believed, some time in 2017, there should be something to show from a gameplay standpoint. Sea of Thieves might be absent, or it could be in the pre-show, but seems its not likely to have a slot in the premier Showcase. On a similar note, Battletoads won't show up either unless it is shadow dropped during the pre-show. So will Everwild be Rare's only game shown? I think not, I believe another project could be revealed - it could be a remake, a new Battletoads like partnership, or maybe something totally new. Like every other studio, Rare has been staffing up, and its very possible another game beyond what is known has been in development and is ready to show.

Do you expect to see Rare at the Showcase - If so, what are your hopes? If not, why and when will we see them next?

- 120 Hours Remain -

*If I forget anything or the wording/information is off, feel free to let me know in a post or DM and I'll edit it in; same goes for things you may think I'm unaware of for studios I've yet to post. I try to keep track of everything, but I may lose sight of some smaller things and rumors so all resources are appreciated!

Click the image below to see the posts for each studio that has been revealed so far.
World's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge's Edge The Coalition inXile Entertainment Compulsion Games Undead Labs Mojang Studios The Initiative Turn 10 Studios Double Fine Productions Xbox Game Studios Publishing

loving these :)

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020

F

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Initiative is doing photorealistic, guaranteed. And we'll see where Fable, Obsidian, InXile RPGs all land.

Aug 23, 2018
The conversation was pretty objective though. Spider-Man is virtually Sony's biggest franchise right now and they have a new installment ready for PS5 launch. It doesn't matter if its smaller in scope than a real Spider-Man 2, its a brand new adventure just two years after the first game launched. I mean the hype of Spidey with the hype of the PS5 is going to be huge.

Halo Infinite has yet to prove that 343i has learned from the mistakes of Halo 4 and Halo 5. We are all excited because it sounds promising right now, but people are understandably cautious as we haven't even seen the game in action yet. Next week can have people just saying praise for Halo Infinite if the reveal amazes us, but until then Halo will still be seen at the low point its been stuck in.

So in short, Spider-Man is still huge but Halo has a bit of climbing back up from when it was the phenomenon it use to be.

Halo will be available on a huge number of devices due to xCloud. PC release, cross gen, rumored Series S, and also rumored to have free MP. Spiderman will be capped at the total amount of PS5's Sony can ship this year. The numbers won't be comparable

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

I'm sure you know better than I do, but my expectation is for more than that. Horizon Far West style in game trailer at minimum.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Oh it is never enough Theory. I think I have le my expectations go too crazy. I now EXPECT:
  • Halo: Infinite
  • Fable
  • Hellblade 2
  • Everwild
  • Obsidian's AAA RPG
  • Forza
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Flight Sim
  • Gears tactics consoe
When was the last time MS has had a lineup like that? It's crazy for me to see that many first party games and be underwhelmed. I know I wanted see huge surprises but they can fill an hour with just those games. I can't really blame MS for not surprising me he I have basically gone out of my way to spoil the show. I those games show up, I am happy man. Nevermind the preshow and the 61+ "demos" starting all next week.

its neigh impossible for any publisher to surprise us these days we hunt down every bit of info out there.., thats why none of the previous shows so far have surprised us and have been a little underwhelming to some as we know everything already, its our own fault :)

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

yeah agree, we are not getting a Halo type demo for sure, i'd be over the moon for a fable trailer like in HZD2 one

Status
Not open for further replies.