• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

speedomodel

Oct 27, 2017
The original Fable is one of my favorite games on the original Xbox and one of my favorite Xbox exclusives. Yet, I have never finished 2 (played for 1-2 hours) and never played 3 at all.

I honestly have no idea why haha.

dmackin01

Oct 20, 2018
The original Fable is one of my favorite games on the original Xbox and one of my favorite Xbox exclusives. Yet, I have never finished 2 (played for 1-2 hours) and never played 3 at all.

I honestly have no idea why haha.

I have a similar problem sometimes where I overhype the next edition of a game series I love to the point where I know it can't live up to the hype. Usually time fixes the problem or I wait until it's out of the zeitgeist so there's less pressure for me to play it.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just wanted to swing back around to the rumors of The Coalition being the ones making Perfect Dark... we have heard rumors of this since before Gears 5 was even released. Do they have enough staff to have been working on both games? Obviously now most Gears 5 staff would be on Perfect Dark, and if they have been getting help from The Initiative...

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
With the talk of needing to be a "great show", I feel it's helpful to actually qualify what that means. What does a "great show" look like for Thursday?
For me, a great show would be a Halo Infinite campaign demo and a Fable announcement - anything else would just be the cherry on top.

Just wanted to swing back around to the rumors of The Coalition being the ones making Perfect Dark... we have heard rumors of this since before Gears 5 was even released. Do they have enough staff to have been working on both games? Obviously now most Gears 5 staff would be on Perfect Dark, and if they have been getting help from The Initiative...
Not sure, but I think it would be wise for them to work on another game before tackling Gears 6. Sometimes a break makes people yearn more for the IP, so if we have to wait 4-5 years for the next Gears - well into the next generation - hype levels would be unreal. Especially if Xbox continues to knock it out of the park with the XSX.

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
They do tons of out sourcing on top of their hundreds of employees iirc. And Splash Damage helped with the Gears 5 MP. So I think they handle another project.

HgS

Dec 13, 2019
they should absolutely show Minecraft RTX. One minute of that won't kill anyone.

And it could be a Series X exclusive

Console exclusive maybe. But I think people would have a meltdown if that wasn't confirmed coming to PS5. I'm not sure what state it would run in on PS5 given that it was like 1080p and 30+ but not 60 FPS. But I imagine we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I expect the meltdowns over a 900p 30fps pathtraced Minecraft would be bad enough on their own...

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
They should make multiplayer free, locking that behind Gamepass is a massive price increase if you just want to play CoD and Fortnite online.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but no, look at the enemies cabal->brutes , elites->fallen , flood->hive or forerunners->vex. A lot of similarities in the story and fascinations with worms :) they also play very very similarly.

The ghosts are also basically monitors. There are so many similarities that I would think destiny is where bungie wanted to take halo and Ms disagreed. Starting the split.
Sure, there's some archetype similarities among enemies, but those are hardly unique (and I think your above comparisons are a stretch). The games don't play similarly, and structurally they are totally different. Destiny is a looter RPG wrapped in shooter designed around shared world drop in drop out pve replayability.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
They should make multiplayer free, locking that behind Gamepass is a massive price increase if you just want to play CoD and Fortnite online.

Yeah, this would be a monumental error. Either keep the online paywall as it is at its current price or get rid of it. Increasing the cost for those who don't want Game Pass due to only mainly playing one or two games a year would drive them from Xbox.

Unless they keep the yearly option at $60/year.

I personally don't see how the online paywall lines up with their strategy anymore considering you can play XGS games on PC without it.

Jan 2, 2018
Making Gold part of GamePass is a terrible move for me personally as I have zero interest in the library mainly because I have a huge one of my own.
It would also be a huge blow to the digital sales on the Marketplace and will probably piss some publishers off.
I think there is a stronger chance that MS will be making it free yo everyone,it will be a huge selling point for their box and will also aligns well with Phil's strategy of breaking down walls (cross play,play anywhere,play everywhere with xCloud).
Also,it just seems weird that their flagship device is the only one where online multiplayer is behind paywall (PC is free and multiplayer with xCloud is on by default).

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
In preparation for infinite, Ive been rewatching parts of the last big halo release - halo 3. The blomkamp, the diarama, the interviews with the old soldiers. Halo 3 was huge and was an amazing event to live though. What a time.

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017
Heck, if they went through with increasing the cost by including Game Pass, I would consider leaving the Xbox ecosystem cause that would feel real scummy and a lot of my friends would probably be driven away from it as they don't use Game Pass.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Console exclusive maybe. But I think people would have a meltdown if that wasn't confirmed coming to PS5. I'm not sure what state it would run in on PS5 given that it was like 1080p and 30+ but not 60 FPS. But I imagine we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I expect the meltdowns over a 900p 30fps pathtraced Minecraft would be bad enough on their own...
There's no way Minecraft is skipping PS5. I'd be surprised if raytracing skipped it too.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Depends on the scope of both games. They smartly use Unreal Engine and create custom assets which helps reduce dev time. Asset sharing across the various studios also helps.

If Perfect Dark reboot is the size of Cyberpunk or something, it aint happening. But if they can find a good outsourcing partner and give up 50-100 devs, it is not outside the realm of possibility. Obsidian, Asobo and especially Ninja Theory show how you can do a fuck of a lot with a little.

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
They died such a pointless death. Age of Empires and Mythology were strong sellers, but they turned their focus to consoles and that was that.
They died because they were too expensive and had cancelled projects, they blamed themselves and worked with MS to set up independent studios formed from the team. That way they could continue to work together, but without the large cost.

Kibbles

Oct 25, 2017
Gold goes away. I read it as no more gold, MP will go free, and anyone who has gold remaining will be given Game Pass for that remaining time.

So,

MP - Free
Game Pass - $9.99/month
Game Pass Ultimate w/xCloud - $14.99/month

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

Would you like that move?

See here is the thing about this move. They aren't going to drop the price of Game Pass significantly. I can see them removing the Xbox Live Gold membership requirement for multiplayer. They get jabbed on that all the time when it comes to F2P games and Sony. Never a killing blow, but I can see they get jabbed by media and YT personalities on the regular because of that. I can see them - again bolstering their already incredible PR for this console generation - and just removing that Gold requirement for multiplayer. But what about pricing?

My guess is we'll see it at $10/mo with maybe $90 a year. Again, the point is to get everyone in the ecosystem. The point is to market to people who have strayed away from Xbox. I just see this as such a no-brainer move. You get that good will of removing a sub and you get a VERY healthy install base on :Game Pass, further adding to the marketability of the platform. THEN, you increase the cost of Game Pass several years down the road when your image is golden.

Nov 23, 2018
Why force people into Game Pass?

Xbox is all about choice. Dropping Live when Game Pass Ultimate hits a certain metric will happen. Let everyone play online for free and make money through multiplayer transactions.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018

Would you like that move?

Here's a thought. What if they take a tiered approach?

Basic Multiplayer (F2P games, Global Matchmaking, Only matched with Xbox players, only local friends): Free

Advanced Multiplayer (Play with worldwide friends, Cross-Play) + Game Pass: $10 a month, $75 per year ($60 a year for three years if active Xbox Live Gold subscriber after merger)

Game Pass Ultimate + Advanced Multiplayer + PC Game Pass + XCloud: $15 a month. $150 a year.

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
Why force people into Game Pass?

Xbox is all about choice. Dropping Live when Game Pass Ultimate hits a certain metric will happen. Let everyone play online for free and make money through multiplayer transactions.
A company going from a steady mandatory fee to optional transactions(which they already do)? Seems like wishful thinking.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think Sams is predicting that live would go away for people that want it, just that it would be added to gamepass for console to steer more people towards that sub.

Status
Not open for further replies.