• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
I don't know how games usually look 4 months from launch. I thought Halo looked good but not polished. If Halo isn't ready then they should just delay it.

I don't think they need Halo to sell the console for the holidays. It will sell great regardless. It is hard to even find a One S these days. There are without a doubt enthusiast that will buy it day one with or without Halo. If they delayed until Feb or March they could get another jolt to sales.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
I don't know how games usually look 4 months from launch. I thought Halo looked good but not polished. If Halo isn't ready then they should just delay it.

I don't think they need Halo to sell the console for the holidays. It will sell great regardless. It is hard to even find a One S these days. There are without a doubt enthusiast that will buy it day one with or without Halo. If they delayed until Feb or March they could get another jolt to sales.
Problem is marketing. So much talk from Phil about next gen, etc. and what happened? Show that thing. I only tried Halo (first one) when I was a kid, so this is like new game for me and I will talk like I don't know nothing. Gameplay looked fun, sound amazing, etc. but graphics were bad to be honest. Some say this isn't important but it is. They should impress people with graphics and this game is main "character" for Xbox. People that aren't Halo/Xbox fans didn't got a good impression from this game. A few know that this possibly was a early build. If it was, why not show on gameplay a watermark saying "Early build from January/April"? Such bad marketing from Microsoft. So much talk, then this happens and they keep their mouth closed.
I just hope they will show improvements on August.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains "spore-like" creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently "larger", more proper word would be "denser" and "more contrasted" at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it'll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don't have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn't get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I'll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you'll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you'll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep "you can kill everyone in the game" option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
Problem is marketing. So much talk from Phil about next gen, etc. and what happened? Show that thing. I only tried Halo (first one) when I was a kid, so this is like new game for me and I will talk like I don't know nothing. Gameplay looked fun, sound amazing, etc. but graphics were bad to be honest. Some say this isn't important but it is. They should impress people with graphics and this game is main "character" for Xbox. People that aren't Halo/Xbox fans didn't got a good impression from this game. A few know that this possibly was a early build. If it was, why not show on gameplay a watermark saying "Early build from January/April"? Such bad marketing from Microsoft. So much talk, then this happens and they keep their mouth closed.
I just hope they will show improvements on August.

This is the issue with why we will keep getting 30 fps games, all that matters to most people is it is pretty. Now I wait for someone to say but cod is 60 fps so is Doom Eternal and yet none of those are trying to do 60 fps couch co op in a game. You can't have the best graphics of the game and 4 player couch co op it just is not happening.

It keeps being said on here about some of the sacrifices dev teams make to get their games to work and this sure seems to be the big one. It is MS fault and 343I couch co op 2 player should have been in but 4 should have died and let them properly work at the game. If they can't get it looking its best then its time to delay delay delay until you can, Xbox is talking about how you don't have to buy their box well prove it delay it and then people can buy it when it launches in a proper state.

BIG J

Oct 27, 2017
I was disappointed when I saw halo but on repeat views, it's the halo gameplay I want. Problem is they overhyped and under delivered. They needed to show a better video showcasing what infinite is about

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand posts like this. How will MS ever improve if we don't tell them what we feel could be improved? That post you replied to was reasonable and well thought out, no hyperbole there. Klobrille and Greenberg were whipping everyone up before the show, telling everyone it would be massive and we should let our hype run wild... and what they had to show was rough. Nothing shown made a case for why you needed a Series X Day 1, and really after the disappointment in May they really should've come out guns firing.
These type of posts are the worst here, to be honest nobody willing to give Microsoft tough feedback when they mess up.

you really have to actively HATE xbox to continue to be as cheery and hyperbolically positive as before after this show. There are multiple alarm bells ringing at this point.

This is part of the problem. The Last of Us 2 is PRIMARILY a single player game, with MP tacked on. Delaying the MP is of no big consequence. Same way nobody buys Doom Eternal for Multiplayer

A massive part of Halo's package is the MP

The last mainline Halo game was in 2015. They've had lots of time.
Horizon: Frozen Wilds was in late 2017 and they've been able to work on a new, bigger and more ambitious game in the series for a 2021 release. 4 years. During which time they had to send help to Kojima for death stranding.

I'm sorry, but these excuses won't fly.

I want to say that my intention is not to stifle other people's opinions. Just that I very much enjoyed the show and thought everything looked beautiful and exciting (including Halo Infinite). And in an irrational way, I'm disappointed there is an overwhelming majority of people not sharing in that passion. I want to share my excitement with others, and it's hard when it seems like everybody dislikes it.

I've found in the past few days enough Xbox fans lining up w/ my tastes/feelings to at least make me not feel crazy anymore. That's all I wanted. I just felt like I was crazy and it felt like I was the only one that liked the show. I see now there are others that like it. Still there's a majority that don't seem to like it. I've made peace with that, and that's fine.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains "spore-like" creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently "larger", more proper word would be "denser" and "more contrasted" at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it'll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don't have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I'll be playable fully on Xbox)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you'll be able to swim)
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- team will still grow

Just inject this into my veins please lol.

I am glad it seems they will be putting the processing power of the Series X to full use in terms of AI and world interactivity.

rrc1594

Oct 25, 2017

- team will still grow

Thanks for info

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019

- team will still grow

This is crazy! Obsidian already wasn't a developer to sneeze at but with this game it seems they could be cementing themselves as a RPG force to be reckoned with. I mean the more AAA RPGs, because obviously they already were very popular with their isometric games.

This is the game they have always wanted to make and because of the undoubtedly huge budget they can make that dream a reality. Man this all sounds amazing. Thanks for all this Sponger!

And this is UE4/5 isn't it? They could very well be competing with BGS next gen. Especially when the latter sticks to the same engine, sadly, understandable, but sadly at the same time.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

- team will still grow

Thanks.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Microsoft announced more than one game I'm certainly interested in - but they were virtually all quick CG teasers, for games that are likely a couple of years away. Four months before a console launch. And the one big thing they showed for that launch, had it's own well-chronicled problems.

That's why people are unhappy.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

- team will still grow

This stuff sounds insanely hype, 2 years and 7 months of total development is more than I had expected (I had thought they'd have started closer to E3 2018 than that). I hope we can see it by late 2022!

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny

E4p0a8HmBzyS0euNgOcUHMIn3KEw2JwJEMWtblCHIZE.png
eyes_1f440.png

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

- team will still grow

giphy.gif

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London

Sixteen for me! Though a few of those are games I probably wouldn't have bought, but will now definitely try. But that's the beauty of Game Pass, isn't it :)

- team will still grow

You did mention the mushroom creatures before, I remember :) Great stuff there, thanks for the update.

Jan 4, 2018

Graphically, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 4 and Halo 5 looked quite finished and polished to me during their final E3 presentation before launch 3 or 4 months later. I don't see differences with the retail version when I rewatch these.

youtu.be

Halo 2 - E3 2003 Gameplay Demo Trailer [HD]

Hier seht ihr die allererste Gameplay-Präsentation der Halo 2 Kampagne überhaupt - live vor Publikum auf der E3 2003. Damals ein legendäres Video - und auch ...

This doesn't seem to be the case with Halo Infinite. I guess that's because it's a months-old build and because the pandemic happened too.

I hope we will see before launch how do the graphics improvements look like.

Oct 27, 2017

Now I'm" really in.

Avowed, Fable, Inxile's next RPG and if Microsoft nabs marketing rights for Elder Scrolls 6 (and maybe even Witcher 4), hoo boy. Xbox is going to be the WRPG console again.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ

- team will still grow

yea this looks killer :)

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
That Avowed info sounds insane, I can't contain the hype. Also 2 years and a half in production? I wouldn't be surprised if they have something more meaty to show soon then (maybe in the August event?)

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Avowed sounds great, on a side note what's coming in 2021? I know psychonauts has been pushed back, maybe As Dusk Falls as well? The Global Publishing games seem to have a good turnaround lately.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
BTW, what do you all think about Forza Motorsport being apparently "early in development?" I was surprised that they said it was early in development, presumably they have been working on it for closely to 3 years already. I was initially expecting it to be 2020 or early 2021, but the wording doesn't really imply that. Do you think it will be 2021 or will it be later?

The development interviews and eventual full release will be interesting for this one, as it seems to deviate widely from what people expected.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have minded MS did the same if something like Infinite had been built exclusively for Series X and was an obviously visually jaw dropping killer app.

On the other hand I'm gladI'm not being forced to buy next gen Xbox so soon either.
I'd love for Halo Infinite to make my eyes bleed, but if indeed there are compromises to be made as a result of supporting XB1 I'd rather take that so I can play with my friends who definitely won't be upgrading to XSX in the next year.

shanew21

Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn't have minded MS did the same if something like Infinite had been built exclusively for Series X and was an obviously visually jaw dropping killer app.

On the other hand I'm glad i'm not being forced to buy next gen Xbox so soon either.
Too much money left on the table, especially if there are console supply constraints due to COVID. Halo will get an insane amount of people to sub to Gamepass, both on Xbox and PC. MS makes money on the games, not the consoles.

Jun 15, 2020
I will be there day 1 but amigo do not tell me they did not ose the momentum?

They never had as much as you think. The people who were interested in Xbox after Hellblade II are still interested, the hardcore PlayStation people still were back then. The only difference is, now the PlayStation people have stuff to talk about.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019
Really excited for Everwild, I know it's far out but it's looking like a low-violence co-op adventure game and I'm excited to see how that translates to gameplay!

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
I'd love for Halo Infinite to make my eyes bleed, but if indeed there are compromises to be made as a result of supporting XB1 I'd rather take that so I can play with my friends who definitely won't be upgrading to XSX in the next year.
And that's the real reason why I appreciate what Xbox is doing because sure I'm a hardcore gamer but my friends are casual at best and likely won't upgrade consoles until next holiday when deals start to come out so at least I can still play with them for now, unlike past gens where we just said bye each other until they upgraded.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- team will still grow

Building this game in an already established world was the right thing to do. I have no idea about anything PoE, but knowing there's existing lore to enrich the game, give some foundation and history to it is a stroke or genius imo. The team don't have to take time out to think how everything fits broadly, they can get down to just making the game. Cannot wait, will be Obsidians first fully fledged AAA RPG right? Something that's not been unleashed on gaming, I can't imagine the heights they'd be able to reach with MS money behind them.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018

- team will still grow

WOW!

is this from the devs?

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020

- team will still grow

I NEED IT

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
sponger

Do you happen to know what the framerate target is? We know most of XGS targets 60fps, and to be able to play something like this sure would be lovely but at the same time I'm conflicted because I really want them to make the game world as beautiful as possible where they don't have to cut corners (maybe keeping folilage static, less NPCs etc for example) to hit 60fps. No matter how powerful the system is, I keep being told what a resource hog 60fps really is.

Nessii013

May 31, 2019

- team will still grow

Time to go play the other POE games for lore!

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
BTW, what do you all think about Forza Motorsport being apparently "early in development?" I was surprised that they said it was early in development, presumably they have been working on it for closely to 3 years already. I was initially expecting it to be 2020 or early 2021, but the wording doesn't really imply that. Do you think it will be 2021 or will it be later?

The development interviews and eventual full release will be interesting for this one, as it seems to deviate widely from what people expected.

I increasingly expected it to be a holiday 2021 game, but "early development" makes it sound like it could even be longer than that. But a dev cycle of longer than four years for Forza Motorsport seems absurd.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
sponger

Do you happen to know what the framerate target is? We know most of XGS targets 60fps, and to be able to play something like this sure would be lovely but at the same time I'm conflicted because I really want them to make the game world as beautiful as possible where they don't have to cut corners (maybe keeping folilage static, less NPCs etc for example) to hit 60fps. No matter how powerful the system is, I keep being told what a resource hog 60fps really is.
Perhaps they could do different modes, giving a native 4K/30 FPS mode with he best graphical fidelity or a performance mode with reconstructed 4K and lowered settings but 60 fps. When your res target is 4K, you are probably likely to be GPU constrained, so dropping GPU could perhaps give you the headroom you need.

Who knows, though, maybe they go absolutely berserk with incredible physics and AI such that they are CPU bound and can't get to 60 fps.

sponger

Dec 7, 2018
sponger

Too early to tell. UE4/UE5 based. (Other studios are involved, but not at large scale or as codevelopers - basically they are baking in some shared stuff from other teams and also sharing their stuff with others)

solis74 you'll need to wait for official information, can't share how did I get this, but keep in mind that parts of this can change during the development.

----

I'll stay zipped regarding the story or other stuff that can spoil the game or ruin the experience (can't say that I have more details here).
I shared this only for you to know that game has very strong vision and is in good hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.