• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
Man, I didn't think Microsoft had the guts to delay Halo in 2021.

Because everyone will focus on the bad (which I will a little later on), I just want to point something out here that Theorry also brought up: there is NO way that the Microsoft of old would have delayed Halo. I think that shows how far Microsoft has come. Not only that, I think it shows the confidence they have in their vision (Game Pass) moving forward. We all know that Halo is the reason that Xbox is still here nearly 20 years later, they are absolutely synonymous with one another. If the success of Series X and Series S were heavily hinging on having Halo at launch then Microsoft would have launched regardless of what shape it was in. Xbox in 2020 is very different than Xbox from years past. The success of Xbox isn't dependent on Halo, it's dependent on Game Pass, and Game Pass is very healthy in subscribers at the moment. Would having Halo launch this November with Game Pass and Series X /S help? Absolutely. Halo obviously needs more time in the oven, whether that it's from coronavirus, behind the scenes issues, or both.

Now for the bad. How bad of shape is Halo in? I wasn't confident after it's showing back in July. Phil Spencer has been saying for a while now how he wanted to launch Series X/S with Halo Infinite. Nobody could have foreseen coronavirus having the impact it has, but I do believe we are seeing the massive drawbacks to arranging an entire console launch to one flagship title. Xbox has drawn the ire of lack of first-party for several years and it has absolutely opened itself up to become another punching bag this holiday and it's once again not unearned. What I am really hoping for is that Halo does not become another Crackdown 3. Crackdown 3 was supposed to launch in November of 2017 and didn't actually ship until February 2019.

With Xbox delaying Halo Infinite and openly showing that they're going to launch their consoles this holiday without a first-party title, they absolutely have to take their time to ship Halo Infinite. I no longer care when it comes and I openly think we aren't going to see it until Fall 2021.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
To be honest: I think that most big games will be delayed in the next few month or ship with serious issues.
But it is only entertainment, let's hope people keep their jobs and we get good software next year or the year after!

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
Called it. Delaying Halo Infinite is the right call. Releasing the game in a state similar to the demo would've definitely hurt the game.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Was anyone actually picking this up just for Halo?

I am picking up this next gen console for the massive jump in power and this time around the absolute cross gen compatibility. Grounded just launched, Wasteland 3 is launching, Flight sim, a bunch of Series X 3rd party games plus everything that has launched is most definitely going to be improved via raw power. It will definitely be running the best version of Cyberpunk even without a patch, Next Gen CoD, Warzone and anything else coming this fall...saying that it has no games is a lie and that it has "no launch titles" is a lie. It does not have a First Party tentpole launch title on day and date and while thats a bummer, there is too much other goodness for me to pass it up.

I am bummed about Halo, but saying this system was only going to sell based on that game is crazy to me.

yeah i'm soooooo ready for next gen and this XSX beast! :)

Scently

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm maybe we see a Halo Infinite MP beta in november or something to "hold us over"
Yeah, I won't be surprised if that happens. It would make a lot of sense.

Personally I am really glad they are delaying the game. The gameplay they showed left a bad taste in my mind with how it looked compared with the 2018 "Game Engine", and the "Discover Hope" trailers.
This is Xbox's premiere IP that hasn't had a knockout release since Reach, or you could argue Halo 3. So it needs to be really good. XSX/XSS will launch well come the end of the year. BC/BC Enhancements, XSX Optimised titles from previous first-party titles; Gears 5, Gears Tactics, FH4, SoT, etc, and third party titles will carry the consoles fine. I don't think they will have any issues selling any console they produce going into 2021.
It begs the question though, are they delaying it to the end of the year 2021 to launch at the same time as other mainline Halo titles or will Infinite be the first mainline Halo title to launch in spring? Summer?
Interesting times ahead.

iareec

Banned
Jul 19, 2020
Phil Spencer's interview tomorrow on Animal Talking could be a must watch now.
Sure people will watch that.
Also this delay although is bad in a certain way, I already see that Microsoft will use their money somewhere else.
EA Access on GPU | Bring a huge 3rd party as exclusive to Xbox and PC

Mar 11, 2019
Any specific reason? Both consoles will sell out at launch anyway. Anyone buying a console at launch is buying one for the games they will get to play down the road. Plus you can still play Yakuza Like a Dragon, Valhalla, Watch Dogs, and/or cyberpunk just like the majority of gamers would have been regardless of what Sony or Microsoft drops at launch.
Indeed both consoles will sell out at launch but one of the consoles will be sold out during the first year. In the meanwhile Sony and MS are releasing their games for their respective consoles in 2021, and MS being dry for 2021 as well many years prior with lack of major titles, does not do it any favors in attracting costumers for their console. While Sony has struck major third party deals and their first party are by now well established in delivering great titles.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Any specific reason? Both consoles will sell out at launch anyway. Anyone buying a console at launch is buying one for the games they will get to play down the road. Plus you can still play Yakuza Like a Dragon, Valhalla, Watch Dogs, and/or cyberpunk just like the majority of gamers would have been regardless of what Sony or Microsoft drops at launch.

Agree, launch won't really be impacted, next will be the interesting point, Series S could be pivotal

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
"In Chris Lee we trust" my bollocks, GING-SAMA.

Morgoth Bauglir was right. He's been right the whole time.

What a sad day for Xbox. Not the saddest for Halo, as they're giving it a chance to get better, but this is Xbox Series X marketing crumbling to pieces.

Go easy on him, it must have been a rough month for Ging, lol.

However, agreeing with an opinion Morgoth "if you don't agree with me you don't understand game design" Bauglir is a bridge too far for me.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
And if anyone brings up Miles Morales, as if a 10-20 hour campaign w/ no multiplayer is actually some kind of tentpole launch title system seller, I'm gonna be slightly perturbed. Both systems have weak lineups when it comes to first party at launch.

We dont even know PS5 launch lineup and what does Miles Morales campaign length have anything to do with how great system seller it is? All Playstation games are singleplayer games and yet many of them are system sellers. Such a weird take from you.

We shouldnt talk and use his name anymore with the post he made that got him banned.

Who? GING? Did he get banned from console warring.

After the reason he was banned, dude was definitely not "right the whole time". He had some serious fucking issues, and seems like an awful person.

Missed this one too 😬

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they really have a small supply I don't know if the system will sell out at launch. We're in a major economic recession and they just delayed their biggest launch game. This is going to test the sellout streak systems have going for it.

MS is going to have to do one hell of a sell job to sell this now.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Indeed both consoles will sell out at launch but one of the consoles will be sold out during the first year. In the meanwhile Sony and MS are releasing their games for their respective consoles in 2021, and MS being dry for 2021 as well many years prior with lack of major titles, does not do it any favors in attracting costumers for their console. While Sony has struck major third party deals and their first party are by now well established in delivering great titles.
Sony's games are also likely to be delayed. Even their past few releases (TLOU2, GOT, Days Gone, Dreams) also saw (multiple) delays and that was before the whole COVID situation. Working from home wreaks havoc on development schedule.

Hockeymac18

Nov 14, 2017
More time to focus on one platform.
They'd lose out on a ton of revenue, though. The ROI isn't there, I don't think.

I do think they should somehow probably fork the devleopment of each, though. Allowing the XSX (and XSX) to have bigger and meaningful advantages. The Xbox One version could be made in parallel, perhaps by a separate team. Think: FH2 on Xbox One and 360 - or Titanfall on Xbox One and 360.

It's also possible they have done this and just haven't communicated it yet.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Agree Price will be key as it has always been, but along with All Access and with GP and Series S, MS have value for money in mind.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
I hope when they do announce the launch lineup they also show gameplay improvements of games that are already released.

I really really want to see the sea of thieves improvements.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
shinobi602 Matt any thoughts on the Halo delay?
A necessary choice given the state of the game and reactions to what was shown. Between building an engine, leads leaving and COVID, there's just been a compounding effect on Infinite's development. Many games, especially huge AAA games, really come together in the last months of development leading up to launch. The pandemic's thrown a massive wrench into all of that.

I think it's a blow to launch, no doubt. Infinite was a huge pillar behind the Series X, the big game Microsoft would center launch around. It's not the *only* selling point, but a big one. The decision to delay was no doubt a very, very difficult one to make. Having known people who had to get projects done in time for launch no matter the costs, it took some balls to call this by the studio, undoubtedly facing down a line of angry execs. Maybe however it is just a sign of the industry maturing, and not just deciding to break the team in order to launch at any cost...ultimately, it's for the best for the game and team.

At the same time, expect news about other Xbox stuff that's been going around recently to come a bit later too.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had to happen. The footage did way more harm than good and although MS embraced Craig (not like they had a choice to be fair), it was an embarrassment to 343.

There is no way they would have had enough time to make the necessary improvements, the game could have been dead on arrival if they stuck to the initial release date.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I dunno if that is happening, but I agree it feels like they need to come out swinging with some kind of gamepass moneyhat right now.

That would be a waste of money. Most of the people interested will be buying Cyberpunk anyhow. They need an exclusive. Probably too late for that. So just stick to what you got and play up BC.

Unless they really have a small supply I don't know if the system will sell out at launch. We're in a major economic recession and they just delayed their biggest launch game. This is going to test the sellout streak systems have going for it.

MS is going to have to do one hell of a sell job to sell this now.

It will sellout. They can barely keep the Xbox one S in stock right now. There are enough fans out there to sell it out. Heck X1 even with all the terrible PR sold out.

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
My fucking MAN! I cannot believe Microsoft delayed Halo. I'm actually happy. I have a jump in my step. I'm too busy to read through the thread or read any articles, as I'm still at work. But what a SHOCKING move.

Someone at the top of this page said - the Microsoft of old would've NEVER delayed Halo.

WOW.

Guerrilla

Oct 28, 2017
A necessary choice given the state of the game and reactions to what was shown. Between building an engine, leads leaving and COVID, there's just been a compounding effect on Infinite's development. Many games, especially huge AAA games, really come together in the last months of development leading up to launch. The pandemic's thrown a massive wrench into all of that.

I think it's a blow to launch, no doubt. Infinite was a huge pillar behind the Series X, the big game Microsoft would center launch around. It's not the *only* selling point, but a big one. The decision to delay was no doubt a very, very difficult one to make. Having known people who had to get projects done in time for launch no matter the costs, it took some balls to call this by the studio, undoubtedly facing down a line of angry execs. Maybe however it is just a sign of the industry maturing, and not just deciding to break the team in order to launch at any cost...ultimately, it's for the best for the game and team.

At the same time, expect news about other Xbox stuff that's been going around recently to come a bit later too.
Oh No why would this impact the other Xbox news?

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

About the maturing you are right for sure. Also like i said earlier. Think this a good indication of change within Xbox also.
I think. No i am sure "old" Xbox would have released this no matter what or in what state.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Appreciate the response shinobi. I hope the team is able to ease up a bit and not crunch so hard but I feel like that's unlikely at this point. We'll see what happens I guess.

SHiPP4

Jul 27, 2020
What is the point of getting a Series X now that Halo has been delayed?

Well, what was the point anyway if it was also coming on Xbox One and PC?

Narratives are funny sometimes. It hurts a little, personally I was really excited to play Halo at launch, but if they need more time, is the best thing to do.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They aren't going to let the Series S brand linger out in the open without any details, are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.