• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
There is something that I can't understand...

Why would you go to the TGS, and not talk about your next gen console that will open reservations two days later and without games for japanese public in a near future?

Well, that tweet was before SS reveal and launch date and price, let's see if is worth or not.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019
What do people here in the thread prefer? The usb play and charge kits or the charging stands? I'm hella considering the charge stands but I see only third party seems to have them available for pre order at the moment!
Eneloops all day, I actually just bought a 12 pack of Eneloop Pros from Amazon.

Last edited:

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
That's what I wonder too especially because there is nothing elsethey could talk about not being next gen at the moment or am I missing something ?

My guess: MS and traditional console in Japan is basically non-existent so they are there just for PR. Like it's basically everything we know about Xbox but localized for Japan audience + showing Game pass importance to the mass. Remember that Game Pass just launched there so it's pretty new.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
Redeemed 250 of credit and didn't get a system due to the shit show that was the Microsoft site. Need to get an X before they expire on 12-20

I'm in the same boat, $200 in credit I didn't get to use :( good luck to us!

Yo didnt Sega publish the last few Hokuto Games ? bruh this all cant be one huge coincidence lol

Really hope they don't acquire Sega. I think we're almost past the point of diminishing returns here, minus a few close partners that might make sense like Asobo or Bloober. Someone above posted that they could have a game every couple months with 4 year dev cycles? That's nuts. I think the value prop for Game Pass is already more than good enough in terms of quantity, now focus on making some great games.

Though I would love to see them partner with Sega to bring their retro catalog to Xbox with enhancements, that'd be neat. Pipe dream of course :(

Despite the acquisition, I still think there's much work to be done to put a diverse set of games on gamepass.

One of the things I liked about the Warner brothers rumour is that Microsoft would have acquired Mortal Kombat, and since another killer instinct seems to be a dream, i feel that would have filled the void.

There are at lot of first person focused developers at Microsoft and I'm so pleased that games like ES and Doom will be day one gamepass, but Microsoft already has Halo and Avowed, so I'm not sure that hole needed to be filled.

I really hope that all these studios are given the creative freedom to make a wide range of different types of games.

I'm really excited to see what is planned going forward. Next year's E3 should be crazy good.

I tend to agree on all points. If they could have just gotten Arkane alone I would have seen that as a good pickup - an inventive studio whose games haven't sold great, where MS could give them some freedom and security.

On the other hand Bethesda and id are obviously top tier pickups as studios, but they don't lack RPGs or shooters. Same for Machine. Beyond cheering on the MS business empire they don't add that much to 1st party that Xbox didn't already have. It's nice I won't have to pay for Starfield, I guess. But I sympathize with PS only fans who aren't happy right now.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
There is something that I can't understand...

Why would you go to the TGS, and not talk about your next gen console that will open reservations two days later and without games for japanese public in a near future?

That's not exactly how I read the original tweet. "No new next-gen news" doesn't mean no talk about your next-gen offering.

For context, when they wrote that tweet (very early September) the Series S was not yet announced and the anticipation and speculation was though the roof.
It may be a bit far-fetched, but perhaps it was a way of saying that anything related to the consoles themselves (the rumored Series S, release date, price, pre-orders, official launch line up, etc.) would not be reserved for the TGS.

It doesn't rule out anything regarding (new) games or partnerships.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm still riding the hype wave lol. Watching the XboxEra podcast for Bethesda and it just shows how crazy this buy really is that it still hasn't settled. So damn crazy.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still riding the hype wave lol. Watching the XboxEra podcast for Bethesda and it just shows how crazy this buy really is that it still hasn't settled. So damn crazy.

It's been said before but needs repeateting: Monday was a genuine industry shaking event and got people to take notice of Xbox. We will be talking about Monday for years to come as we see the ramifications of it.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
It's been said before but needs repeateting: Monday was a genuine industry shaking event and got people to take notice of Xbox. We will be talking about Monday for years to come as we see the ramifications of it.
Yup, I couldn't agree more. Probably the biggest piece of news I can ever recall.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Yup, I couldn't agree more. Probably the biggest piece of news I can ever recall.
Yeah, I've been following gaming news since 1996 and this has to be the biggest one. Activision and Vivendi (Blizzard) merger would be the second biggest one?

Its not necessarily good though, if things go awry we could have similar memes but with Microsoft and Obsidian/id/Bethesda/Arkane etc.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I've been following gaming news since 1996 and this has to be the biggest one. Activision and Vivendi (Blizzard) merger would be the second biggest one?

Its not necessarily good though, if things go awry we could have similar memes but with Microsoft and Obsidian/id/Bethesda/Arkane etc.
There has been one bigger gaming buy tho. Tencent bought that mobile dev that makes Clash of Clans for 8.5b iirc

NippleViking

May 2, 2018
I'm in the same boat, $200 in credit I didn't get to use :( good luck to us!

Really hope they don't acquire Sega. I think we're almost past the point of diminishing returns here, minus a few close partners that might make sense like Asobo or Bloober. Someone above posted that they could have a game every couple months with 4 year dev cycles? That's nuts. I think the value prop for Game Pass is already more than good enough in terms of quantity, now focus on making some great games.

Though I would love to see them partner with Sega to bring their retro catalog to Xbox with enhancements, that'd be neat. Pipe dream of course :(

I tend to agree on all points. If they could have just gotten Arkane alone I would have seen that as a good pickup - an inventive studio whose games haven't sold great, where MS could give them some freedom and security.

On the other hand Bethesda and id are obviously top tier pickups as studios, but they don't lack RPGs or shooters. Same for Machine. Beyond cheering on the MS business empire they don't add that much to 1st party that Xbox didn't already have. It's nice I won't have to pay for Starfield, I guess. But I sympathize with PS only fans who aren't happy right now.
MS acquiring Sega was never realistic in the first place, let alone as a surprise drop. There are innumerable laws which would stifle and slow the process, and as a public company it'd be effectively impossible to keep it hush hush. Furthermore Sega isn't just video games - Sega Sammy is also Pachinko, amusement parks, anime studios, toys/merchandise, hotel resorts, etc.

What might be plausible however is some form of partnership. They've already shown they're big Gamepass supporters, Yakuza has found relative success on Xbox, and they've plenty of PC-centric titles - Total War, Football Manager, Dawn of War - which would be ripe for PC Gamepass. And more than anything I just want Persona.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
The difference for me is that none of them are platform holders. Not to say that they aren't huge buyouts by any means though.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Way back when there were all those rumors of Microsoft or Sony acquiring EA or 2K or whatever else, a lot of people on here were speculating like crazzzzy about publishers. Bethesda always seemed like the absolute biggest acquisition anyone would ever make, and it seemed way outside the park at that. It was always in the realm of, if Amazon decided to go absolutely chin first or if Sony decided to respond to Microsoft with 1000x the force, Microsoft acquiring Bethesda, after acquiring studios like Obsidian, InXile, Compulsion and Ninja Theory that could very well be used to build their own tiny Bethesda seemed insane, still does.

There were also a lot of talks about Japanese publishers, and I always said the likes of Capcom, Sega, Square etc were far too big and complex for Microsoft to digest, but I thought, and still think, that smaller more regional publishers could make sense as the sort of core of "Xbox Japan". Someone like Levl-5 or NIS, Nihon Falcom. Handful of studios with beloved IP and mature pipelines that could use help increasing their reach and expanding to create more new IP.

If I had my way, and I'm not a trillion dollar business so I wont, I'd see Microsoft build an Xbox presence in Japan out of independent studios with strong histories, give them a chance to grow and make great things. The likes of Mistwalker, Whiteowls or Platinum, or someone like Experience Inc or even Matrix or Tri-Ace/Tri-Crescendo (I know Tri-Ace isn't technically independent, but they're not doing brilliantly for their current mobile focused owner) There's a bunch of cool indie studios in Japan, lots of them with storied histories that aren't what they used to be, that could really benefit from the kind of support Xbox could give. Leave the big pubs multi-platform and throw support at them for ports and optimization.

But then again, there's no rules anymore because Microsoft has two Bethesdas now! We were all wrong and anything can happen.

Side note, picture this. Microsoft acquires Platinum, licenses the Vanquish IP from their good buddy Sega, and Shinji Mikami teams up with the studio for Vanquish 2. Dream on.

Thanks for saying this, I'm really tired of seeing it. Business in Japan is different, but it's not some mysterious inaccessible silo like so many people claim. I mean, hell, Tango was founded and incorporated in Japan and acquired by Zenimax, a company based in Maryland, in 2010.
Cool, thanks for the insight. I think you're right that buying a big Japanese media conglomerate is probably super overkill. Though there's a certain level of dystopian glee that comes from the idea of an American company owning all the anime.. or the national broadcaster XD. Anyway. Yea, I wonder how well starting with smaller studios to build a hub would be. I still feel like more than the development talent, the make or break piece is whether you have the support staff. People experienced with Japan, Microsoft, and global publishing. I imagine that pool isn't necessarily the biggest, especially at small Japanese indies. Level 5 is a really intriguing route to go. RECORE 2?!?!

Either way, I do agree that once you have a base (whether by acquisition or fully internal development), that I'd like to see Microsoft invest in smaller Japanese studios. I'd suggest that in the meantime, before they get a support hub, it would pay off to buy games, before studios. But then again, this is a crazy unique time. This could be the time to strike, before small studios start folding forever. Yea. Interesting things to think about.

Ah okay. I'm not much of a gamer so I have very specific games that I play, like Tetris, FIFA and Overcooked. So it's primarily first party games on Game Pass. I've never been into Halo, Forza, Gears or Fable (could be swayed if it's a MMO). Do we know Microsoft's launch games?
Well, for what it's worth - those 3 specific games are/will be on Game Pass lol. The collection will never be every big 3rd party. But the selection is pretty fantastic, all things considered. Might be worth taking a look through the collection now. It gives you an idea of what to expect, though the catalog has evolved since the early days. So, you never quite know what types of deals they're making now. Xbox Game Pass Library | Xbox

It's cool, were all platform agnostic here ( I at least hope so lol) reminds me that I need to get back into sea of thieves
ever since my cousin was murdered in may I haven't really been in a gaming mood, but soon as I finally get back into wanting to play, my mother tells me she has breast cancer 😣 hard to focus on a game like sea of thieves with shit like that on your mind
Queen, little I've played of tell me why is great, hurry and subscribe as soon as tou can, use xcloud if you need to
( also congrats on becoming a nursing assistant)
Dang what D: that's gotta be tough. Sending some actual thoughts and prayers (if you care about such things) in your and your family's way.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over the fact that MS now owns Bethesda... Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, ID tech, Elderscrolls...etc It is too much. I cant even list all XGS teams easily anymore. Will probably forget some.

craven68

Jun 20, 2018
It"s crazy to think that Doom is a Microsoft IP now, and the next game can be only on Microsoft platform.
ID software is going to be the best studio from Microsoft ! And microsoft should look into them to help on Halo infinite and even use their engine !
ID tech are so good, Doom eternal is so beautiful and smooth, it would have been amazing on a halo game !

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
I've gotta say, I've never been more excited to be an Xbox fan.

I started this gen very much in the hole for Sony - their exclusives were better, they were the type of games I liked (exclusively single-player, no multi-player), and I was in a place in my life to only have one console.

Over the course of this generation, I've finally opened up to multi-player gaming, now playing through the Gears campaigns with my wife and playing Halo campaign co-op with friends online, and Sea of Thieves/Fortnite with some buddies. I got a One X as the type of person who wanted the most powerful home console to go with my big 4K/HDR TV, and then, when Game Pass came out, as someone who started becoming more budget-conscious, it became a no-brainer.

As this generation comes closer, as the studios expand, as Game Pass becomes a better and better deal, and as games become $70, I'm definitely looking at PS5 as having a lot of games I'd love to play (Demon's Souls, Morales, God of War, Horzion, etc.), but I also know that I don't want to leave Game Pass behind and have the most powerful console. If I'm starting the gen with one console, it's going to be the one where I can get all the big games for $15/month.

All of this to say: I've lurked around here a while, I post occasionally, and I'm just excited that we as the Xbox community have something to be looking forward to this generation. It's going to be great!

Welcome and it certainly is a great time to be green :)

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
I still can't get over the fact that MS now owns Bethesda... Doom, Wolfenstein, Quake, ID tech, Elderscrolls...etc It is too much. I cant even list all XGS teams easily anymore. Will probably forget some.

It has been mentioned elsewhere but Microsoft now owns Doom, Wolfenstein and Halo. That's like the holy trinity of the FPS genre.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
Not as insane as having the next elder scrolls game being exclusive. Skyrim was the last game release I remember being an actual cultural event. The last game I actually turned up at midnight to buy. It spawned a huge array of memes and has been ported to the moon and back. GTAV is in the ballpark, but it's just not as exciting an IP for me. It's one of the biggest IP in the industry.

SRV

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Not as insane as having the next elder scrolls game being exclusive. Skyrim was the last game release I remember being an actual cultural event. The last game I actually turned up at midnight to buy. It spawned a huge array of memes and has been ported to the moon and back. GTAV is in the ballpark, but it's just not as exciting an IP for me. It's one of the biggest IP in the industry.
I mean the whole acquisition is batshit, but you're right. Elder Scrolls alone will move people as an exclusive, hell even Fallout is mad. Add in the other games and it really is just batshit insane.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017

Which is why I find it amusing that people are even debating whether Microsoft will not at the very least make it a year exclusive because Elder Scrolls is a genuine needle mover and it will get people into Microsoft's ecosystem.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Lol Aaron Greenberg in RDX chat today had some hilarious quotes.

He said people are asking them to acquire more studios like they didn't just spend $7.5B haha - he also memed a bit and said "in phil we trust"

I share this because I legit actually laughed at some of his comments. Also - it's so crazy that the head of marketing at Xbox is just hanging out in chat talking to people.

lol thats cool, i need to catch up on that video.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Thinking a bit more about a potential Game Showcase for october, here's what I think we could see:

- Forza Motorsport gameplay
- The Initiative's game reveal (if they don't keep it for TGA)
- Stalker 2 trailer
- Warhammer Darktide trailer
- Trailer/Dates for The Medium, Call of the Sea (maybe another from may's Inside Xbox)
- Flight Simulator coming for the Series X
- Gears 5 DLC (for a holiday release)
- Trailer for another big Sea of Thieves update for launch
- New trailer for Age of Empires IV (one year since the first look, I think it's time) / launch trailer for Age III HD
- Not expecting much from Bethesda right now but maybe there is something to show other than Deathloop/Ghostwire which are at Sony's events
- Mass Effect Trilogy announcement
- EA Play dated for Game Pass, with Jedi Fallen Order added
- ID@Xbox montage and/or Game Pass montage for Next-Gen
- Halo: Infinite multiplayer reveal (still expecting a beta for december) and a window for the release set for Q2 2021 (may maybe)

Maybe one or two of these won't happen, but they can easily be replaced by one or two surprises. They have more than enough to have a solid 40-minutes show, so I hope they do it and announce it soon-ish.

solis74

Jun 11, 2018
Just found this video about the design of the Series X. Really impressed. Imagine most of you saw it already since it's from March. But some might've not seen it though.

Really impressed on how much considering there was on airflow.

www.youtube.com

Inside Xbox Series X - How Microsoft Redefined The Console Form Factor

During our recent trip of Microsoft at Redmond WA, Digital Foundry had the chance to talk to the hardware design team who engineered the Xbox Series X consol...

yeah the MS Hardware engineers are really wizards, and have been improving year on year

Sep 7, 2020
I know that they are likely not done but I hope that its more of working exclusively with the studio to make a first party game or if they have to acquire a studio then its one that may likely close without the financial support.

Jdubs

Dec 4, 2018
I really didn't consider that I wouldn't be able to get a pre-order yesterday.... wonder if the zeni/Bethesda acquisition really tipped the scales? A smidge deflating, but still pumped about Xbox...I might never have to purchase an actual game since gamepass will now have my favorites.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know that they are likely not done but I hope that its more of working exclusively with the studio to make a first party game or if they have to acquire a studio then its one that may likely close without the financial support.
Yea, I mean those are the least controversial acquisitions/partnerships. No one feels bad about those. And I'd say that most of MS's acquisitions fall into that category (and we can't rule out that that was a factor in this one, either). But realistically, there aren't any real restrictions on what acquisitions are good or bad in a legal, moral, or narrative sense. People are afraid of "consolidation" and yet consolidation tends to lead to better games and more stability (at least for the acquired employees - contractors a different story). MS will do what makes sense to build the brand, entrench current users, and entice future ones. And they'll do it with an eye toward long-term stability and value. I hate the exclusivity byproduct, but at least I think MS has done a good job of releasing games everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.