• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarecrowe

Apr 9, 2020
It's an utter chaos out there and I am enjoying Cyberpunk on my Series X. :(

images
same I enjoyed just didn't like the endings or how short it was

coma

Oct 28, 2017
Whole situation makes me even happier MS is (at least now) more willing to delay their games if needed.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
They definitely should do the same, Cyberpunk is an embarrassment on consoles. MS must be real pissed about how the marketing deal turned out with this game.
Yeah it's got to hurt. All the more reason why they continue to invest in first party - not having to rely on third party marketing deals as much, which they have had to do a lot of recently and often seem to back the wrong horse lol

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
MS dodged a bullet by making the right decision the moment they delayed Halo Infinite. Now 343i has hopefully enough time to deliver their vision for the next entry.

Firenoh

Mar 7, 2019
Yeah it's got to hurt. All the more reason why they continue to invest in first party - not having to rely on third party marketing deals as much, which they have had to do a lot of recently and often seem to back the wrong horse lol
What are you trying to say about Space Jam 2? It's gonna win an Oscar next year, we all know it.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Can we all appreciate 343 delaying Halo now?

Good point, they should have delayed Cyberpunk.

Anthem, Fallout 76, the recent maligned Battlefield and now Cyberpunk 2077. Sony's big misstep seems to have been Avengers, by comparison.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
The season pass gives access to 4 DLCs, Howling Peaks is just the first one. The other 3 haven't come out yet.

Not sure what the $24 thing is can you link to it on MS store? But anyway from Game Pass base edition, you'll just need the Hero Pass Upgrade and the Season Pass to get every DLC known so far:
  • Hero Pass Upgrade gets you Jungle Awakens, Creeping Winter for $9.
  • Season Pass gets you Howling Peaks, Nether, Ocean, and End. Last three not yet released.
Edit: I'm guessing the $24 thing is Hero Edition, which is just the Hero Pass Upgrade + purchase of the base game. Since you have Game Pass you don't need that as long as you are subscribed.

Also that's nice for your kid, he/she will get the new DLCs from season pass as they drop and keep it fresh :)

Thanks yeah I realized shortly after that new dlcs were coming and the season pass just didn't include Jungle and Creeping. :)

Jaime.GGG

Oct 27, 2017
I think Halo was going to be perfectly playable and with a steady framerate this november, they are just glowing it up (which is great)

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
2023 isn't that wild. A good parralel to look at is probably Horizon Zero Dawn, it was a big ambitious open world action RPG from a studio known primarily for doing other stuff. Difference is Playground is standing up a new team and Guerilla didn't. It's obviously not 1 to 1, there are other differences in the timelines and every studio is different, but it puts it into perspective.

Horizon started development in 2011 and came out in 2017, six years. Fable started development in ~2017, six years later would be 2023. As I say, not 1 to 1, just sets expectations.

Yeah, 2023 sounds about right for Fable and I would expect the same with Perfect Dark. Both will have to build the teams/studio alongside the game, which takes time.

As a sidenote and as I've said before on Era, I wanna see The Coalition having dev times like this and the developers they're often compared to.

I haven't played them, were the stories any good?

The story in Dishonored is pretty simple, but is really good and in combination with the setting has the ability to get under your skin and make things memorable. It uses many familiar ideas just with smaller twists, so everything feels relatable and real. In many ways it's such a depressive and oppresive world.

You should definitely consider trying it, especially if you like stealth games (though a more action oriented approach is possible).

Last edited:

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Anthem, Fallout 76, the recent maligned Battlefield and now Cyberpunk 2077. Sony's big misstep seems to have been Avengers, by comparison.

No Man's Sky was huge. A lot of anger over that.

Cold War has been kinda broken for awhile too now. But it's call of duty. Bricking Xbox's. Patches making things worse. Etc.

Jun 15, 2020
Personally, I see no reason to do this.

Traditionally, you'd do multiplayer as a value-add feature to justify having someone spend $60 on your single-player focused game (or sometimes the opposite for competitive FPS games).

But in the Gamepass era, where's the pressure to do a tacked-on multiplayer? Would make more sense to approach it like TLOU2, and just focus on the single player campaign and then release multiplayer later if justified. But really, the world doesn't need any more multiplayer modes that are created just to check a box. We have so many high-quality F2P multiplayer experiences available these days that I'm not sure anyone even gives a shit.
I can kinda see this in other cases, but not Perfect Dark. It's legacy is multiplayer. It HAS to be there.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Personally, I see no reason to do this.

Traditionally, you'd do multiplayer as a value-add feature to justify having someone spend $60 on your single-player focused game (or sometimes the opposite for competitive FPS games).

But in the Gamepass era, where's the pressure to do a tacked-on multiplayer? Would make more sense to approach it like TLOU2, and just focus on the single player campaign and then release multiplayer later if justified. But really, the world doesn't need any more multiplayer modes that are created just to check a box. We have so many high-quality F2P multiplayer experiences available these days that I'm not sure anyone even gives a shit.
I'd bet most people who loved the OG Perfect Dark loved it because of its MP. The MP is the only part of the game that stands out to me since I played it on the N64.

If anything a MP only shooter would make more sense with the IP.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'd bet most people who loved the OG Perfect Dark loved it because of its MP. The MP is the only part of the game that stands out to me since I played it on the N64.

It needs multiplayer because that's absolutely a part of it's DNA, but it was the campaign that stood out in the long run. Multiplayer had a ton customization options, but the basic mechanics are if not better, then at least different in modern shooters, while the campaign in many ways still hasn't been superseded, if taken on its own premise. The genre simply went in a different direction after that, instead of doing what the campaign did, better.

A multiplayer only shooter would miss the point of Perfect Dark completely.

Last edited:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Gonna have to disagree. The singleplayer was a huge part of it the games success. Let alone the following...

• Carrington Institute hub world with training, firing range with goldeneye guns as rewards, story information ect.
  • Co-op mode via splitscreen or with AI partner.
  • Counter op mode where second player plays as an enemy.
  • Unlockable cheats that created lots of replayability.
Perfect Dark 64 would not be as good without the singleplayer.

Jan 4, 2018
With EA buying Codemasters it made me realize that for the foreseeable future we can "cheer" EA's acquisitions, as that also means having said dev's games on Game Pass hahah

So I made an article about every console-exclusive for 2021, and honestly.. what a year for Xbox. Even without most announced Xbox Game Studios games, as all of them are 2022 or later. Not sure if it is against the rules to post this but here is the link http://www.lifeisxbox.eu/2020/12/17/2021-looks-very-promising-for-xbox/

Did I miss something? I have these 20 console exclusive games for 2021:
the Medium - Halo Infinite -The Ascent - the Gunk - Scorn - flight Simulation - Echo Generation - Sable - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 - CrossfireX - Tunic - Second Extinction - Bright Memory Infinite - As Dusk Falls - 12 Minutes - Exo One - ExoMecha - Warhammer Darktide - Mechwarrior 5 and Grounded.

Can't remember a year with such a diverse game line-up for Xbox.
I can. This year

| TrusT |

Apr 19, 2020
With the stock price tumbling I wonder if the Xbox team will try to purchase CD Project Red? Sony seem to be burning their bridges with them and there's no better time than now to add them to Xbox Game Studios.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
With the stock price tumbling I wonder if the Xbox team will try to purchase CD Project Red? Sony seem to be burning their bridges with them and there's no better time than now to add them to Xbox Game Studios.
They already have 4 RPG studios (3 of them with multiple teams), why would they need to buy a 5th one?

supercommodore

Prophet of Truth
Apr 13, 2020
UK

It would make no sense to spend billions on CDPR. Their output is too slow and much of their worth is tied to a gaming distribution platform MS don't need at all.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Xbox doesn't need to delist, they already have a much better refund mechanism than PSN.

This isn't about refund mechanisms or PSN wouldn't be delisting it in certain regions, it's about CD Project outright telling people their game wasn't fit for sale and trying to shift the mess onto Sony and Microsoft.

If they hadn't put out that statement, Sony would never have delisted it.

Microsoft probably haven't delisted it because either they don't want to, or it would be a bad look to delist a game you are marketing.

DJDoubleCream

Oct 28, 2017
This has probably been said a fair few times since the hivebusters gears dlc, but my god I'd love a full gears package all remastered with the same visuals as gear 5 and hivebusters, but also, I'd love the coalition to have a crack at a gears horror spin off... I got pure horror vibes in the second chapter of hivebusters.

Jan 4, 2018
even with their stock down 40% thats still a spicy like $4.5 Billion to drop on one company.
That said, it would also give them a working PC storefront that people likes to use
I wonder if they could just rebrand GoG as Windows Store (or Xbox to differentiate from the regular Windows store with programs, apps...)
Or would it be too much of a hassle? Seeing the current MS Store and reliability problems, no mod support, uwp... I wonder if it's easier to solve those problems or it would be easier and faster to do the rebranding

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
This has probably been said a fair few times since the hivebusters gears dlc, but my god I'd love a full gears package all remastered with the same visuals as gear 5 and hivebusters, but also, I'd love the coalition to have a crack at a gears horror spin off... I got pure horror vibes in the second chapter of hivebusters.

I think a Gears horror spin-off would make a lot of sense. Especially if it were a shorter game.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, CDPRs stock dropped 40%? Yikes man, all that good will going down the drain. Hope they get it all sorted.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I just dug out some of my old Perfect Dark stuff, just to give an idea of how single player was positioned in comparison to multiplayer. Notice how the vast majority is dedicated to the campaign, with even the box itself reserving three out of four screenshots for campaign and talking about corporations and conspiracies, leaving a single line to mention the multiplayer:

64ab8878-9400-4de9-bwnkp8.jpeg

e7331705-1b49-405a-8cpj5u.jpeg

0c3d0fee-45f1-41d6-a6ik16.jpeg

33c48159-7771-4e94-94nkqi.jpeg

6271e353-62ac-4d5b-97xk5j.jpeg

8d8dea48-0994-4916-8dfjo5.jpeg

614ae1c4-8702-49d6-8bojti.jpeg

8b8eb222-4e77-431f-bfvj41.jpeg

I'm not saying multiplayer wasn't important. Obviously that's part of Perfect Dark, but leaving single player out would be leaving out a major part of what the game was actually trying to sell. I have a lot of magazines of the time lying around and might consider taking pictures later, just to show how much the campaign was actually featured. It was a vitally important part of the game.

Also discovered some of my Perfect Dark Zero memorabilia, from guides to comics and even a Rucka book. Always fun going over stuff like that :)
738e120d-1424-4fa1-9zgjju.jpeg

Last edited:

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Would be really funny if MS bought CDPR now, but lets be clear: the only one who is burning bridges in this mess is CDPR.
MS should follow Sony on this and pull it from the store (would probably also make a takeover even cheaper lol)

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Would be really funny if MS bought CDPR now, but lets be clear: the only one who is burning bridges in this mess is CDPR.
MS should follow Sony on this and pull it from the store (would probably also make a takeover even cheaper lol)

I don't think MS would do that given the marketing deal in place. CDPR just need to scramble and fix the issues pronto.
Makes me wonder why they even considered last gen consoles for such an ambitious game.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think MS would do that given the marketing deal in place. CDPR just need to scramble and fix the issues pronto.
Makes me wonder why they even considered last gen consoles for such an ambitious game.
I don't think that a marketing deal with a company tanking their reputation and value at full speed is more important than the customers.
I also don't think the marketing deal covers the game being broken and being pulled from the store.

especially when Sony is doing it, this would look so bad for MS.
I can't see them not doing the same.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018

I don't see the appeal on acquiring CD Projekt Red. Their output is lower than Microsoft needs for Game Pass, and the acquisition price for the studio would be overpriced and really expensive.

(plus current controversies made me drop the appreciation I had with CDPR)

Better spend that money on bringing more JRPG to the platform, acquiring studios or just founding games. Level-5, period.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can think of approximately 150 million reasons why.

150m dumb reasons seeing as their value has crashed hard. How dumb can you be thinking this wouldn't happen given the state of the game?

MS should definately follow Sony here. F CDPR. Let their value crash even more. Maybe itll drop even more to a point its worth investing in so MS can fix CDPRs toxic, racist, transphobic culture cause I don't see that changing by themselves.

This is a good lesson and warning to all other publishers/devs that releasing a mess of a game can damage not only your brand but your value in severe ways. This will force more to delay games instead of releasing them unfinished. IMO.

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see the appeal on acquiring CD Projekt Red. Their output is lower than Microsoft needs for Game Pass, and the acquisition price for the studio would be overpriced and really expensive.
kinda agree, MS would have to fire the whole management at least.
Still Xbox would become an even bigger RPG monopoly with Obsidian, Bethesda, Playground, inXile and CDPR.
they could have 5 year cycles and still release one big RPG per year lol

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
They definitely should do the same, Cyberpunk is an embarrassment on consoles. MS must be real pissed about how the marketing deal turned out with this game.

Also:

On base consoles, maybe. But PC, stadia and next gen account for about 70% of the sales so far, so there's a majority out there more than happy.

But they really should not have bothered with last gen. The game is too much for the machines....or at least released last gen versions maybe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.