• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy1984

Banned
May 19, 2018
Anyone played Greedfall. Is the jank worth it?

Just started and it's actually offensive to me and wondering if I should persevere. Even installed it internally to XSX.
I'm playing It and try to carry on. The story Will be more interesting step by step. You should approce It as a game by a small developer but pretty good. Give It another chance, imho

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Of all the studios, I'd say Bungie and BioWare were key to building the Xbox's identity early on. It does feel like something's missing without them.

(Though there's certainly no shortage in FPS and WRPG developers lol)

For sure. I also believe Bungie and BioWare built the Xbox brand with their exclusive titles. The decline started when Bungie left Xbox and BioWare became multiplatform developer. Xbox definetly needs great studios for their brand. Sony did that with Naughty Dog and Santa Monica Studio. Hopefully Bethesda will fill this gap.

BioWare I'd just like to see anywhere but EA, to see if anything can be salvaged from that studio. I wish Microsoft bought them instead of EA years ago - though that era of Xbox management might've ruined Bioware too.

Bungie I would definitely like to see back at Microsoft, because of that history. It would also be a nice coda to reinforce that Microsoft learned from the mistakes of previous generations. Of course, assuming Bungie just keeps making Destiny stuff, I'm not sure if ANOTHER FPS-centric studio is really what Microsoft urgently needs. Especially when that FPS has a lot of common DNA with Halo.

I'm not really clear on what Bungie's goals are business-wise. They got out from under Microsoft only to sign a 10 year contract to make games for... Activision. Then they escaped that contract, but now from what I've been reading, Destiny 2 is even more riddled with pricy MTX these days, than it was in the Activision days.

It seems like they still value their independence, but then again, I would've said the same for Ninja Theory and Double FIne.

Bungie's current GaaS concept fits Gamepass perfectly. Also I want one Halo game from Bungie. Just one lol.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Bungie's current GaaS concept fits Gamepass perfectly. Also I want one Halo game from Bungie. Just one lol.

Lots of live service games out there. Game Pass doesn't need them all (though Destiny 2 is already on GP anyway).

Not wanting to make Halo forever is part of the reason Bungie went indie again, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Yeah, I can't imagine a sadder turn of events than Bungie having to make Halo games again. They got out for a reason. I'm not a big Destiny person, but let them do their thing.

EA didn't actually turn Bioware into a multiplat studio, they'd put out games on PC, Dreamcast and PS2 before. If anything, Mass Effect and, to a lesser extent, Jade Empire were aberrations.

Bioware must have felt like they were in all kinds of territory or a while there between the Interplay, D&D, Microsoft, Atari, then being bought by EA. Strange sequence of events, especially with how that actually all happened.

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think 343 will venture into new IP a few years after Halo Infinite? Halo Infinite is a 10-year platform, and they said they are going to work on expansions a la Destiny plus maybe exploring other genres within Halo (usually they do that through external parties like CA), but I am wondering if some part of the Infinite team will move into something entirely new. Would be great to see what they can do other than Halo.

Interested to know about your opinion on this too Klobrille :)

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think 343 will venture into new IP a few years after Halo Infinite? Halo Infinite is a 10-year platform, and they said they are going to work on expansions a la Destiny plus maybe exploring other genres within Halo (usually they do that through external parties like CA), but I am wondering if some part of the Infinite team will move into something entirely new. Would be great to see what they can do other than Halo.

Bonnie Ross mentioned Halo spin offs after Infinite, 343 is a Halo studio don't expect a new IP unless Halo completely bombs.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

It would be a nice reward for them after turning the ship around. To give some of them a break to work on something new and fresh.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think Bungie would be a waste, they're not doing anything terribly exciting, and they're effectively set up to work on Destiny like Mojang with Minecraft, and unlike Minecraft, Destiny doesn't dominate it's target audience, so I don't see much benefit there.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
I think a lot of folks might be missing the point that Destiny is probably bigger than Halo now.
It's really difficult to measure when Destiny 2 is a free to play GAAS game that receives updates every week and launched in 2017 while the last Halo game launched almost 6 years ago, stopped receiving updates in 2018 and is still exclusive to a 60 million selling console like the Xbox One while Destiny 2 is playable everywhere. Let's wait until we see how many players Halo Infinite gets.

But yes, you are absolutely right.

Mugen X

Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
I wouldn't mind a bungie acquisition and a return to Halo, or maybe give the IP to ID cause I would love to see their spin on the franchise.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I'd think Bungie would be a waste, they're not doing anything terribly exciting, and they're effectively set up to work on Destiny like Mojang with Minecraft, and unlike Minecraft, Destiny doesn't dominate it's target audience, so I don't see much benefit there.
I believe bungie is working on a new ip

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the word is "probably", I think it's "easily"
Let's talk about this again in 1 year :)
I believe bungie is working on a new ip
They are, they got $100M from NetEase and they have a separate team led by Christopher Barret (Art Director on D1, and Game Director on Rise of Iron and Vanilla D2) developing a new IP presumably named "Matter". It should be out before 2025.

Bungie's ambition is to be a multi-IP studio before the end of this generation.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
I think the last good Halo is Reach. A good Halo will surpass Destiny franchise. When I watch the gameplay, my expectations became really low but last screenshots were great.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
If 343 made a Halo spin-off, I think a Mass Effect-style action RPG where you're an ONI agent or something could be neat. Could even set it post-Halo 5, where you slowly acquire a ragtag crew and bop around the galaxy stealthily, because Cortana essentially has totaltiarian control over the Milky Way.

They actually explore this in the Halo book that came out in Octboer - the remnants of the UNSC are afraid to even say the word "Cortana" over open air, because she has complete control over satellites and listening stations all throughout UNSC space, and are afraid that might throw up a flag that has her send a Guardian.

I don't think the word is "probably", I think it's "easily"

Almost certainly. Halo isn't multiplatform, and there won't have been one in six years by the time Infinite comes out. Destiny 2 came out two years AFTER Halo 5, and is also designed with all of the modern live service endless engagement hooks, expansions, etc.

Though even then, despite diminishing since Halo 3, I think people kinda fail to appreciate how big Halo still is. Halo 5 still sold five million copies in three months, and was over 10 million by 2017 if you believe Microsoft. And the next one is going launch into Game Pass, immediately giving it a potential audience of what will likely be, what? 25-30 million people by holiday 2021? All with no real opportunity cost to at least try the game.

Halo ain't Gears of War.

Adrifi

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
So basically Infinite will have continued support for years and at the same time 343 will release other spin-off games like ODST or Reach. That sounds good to me because that should grsnt them a bigger creative freedom.

In fact, didn't they start hiring for the next Halo game last year?

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If 343 made a Halo spin-off, I think a Mass Effect-style action RPG where you're an ONI agent or something could be neat. Could even set it post-Halo 5, where you slowly acquire a ragtag crew and bop around the galaxy stealthily, because Cortana essentially has totaltiarian control over the Milky Way.

They actually explore this in the Halo book that came out in Octboer - the remnants of the UNSC are afraid to even say the word "Cortana" over open air, because she has complete control over satellites and listening stations all throughout UNSC space, and are afraid that might throw up a flag that has her send a Guardian.

Almost certainly. Halo isn't multiplatform, and there won't have been one in six years by the time Infinite comes out. Destiny 2 came out two years AFTER Halo 5, and is also designed with all of the modern live service endless engagement hooks, expansions, etc.

Though even then, despite diminishing since Halo 3, I think people kinda fail to appreciate how big Halo still is. Halo 5 still sold five million copies in three months, and was over 10 million by 2017 if you believe Microsoft. And the next one is going launch into Game Pass, immediately giving it a potential audience of what will likely be, what? 25-30 million people by holiday 2021? All with no real opportunity cost to at least try the game.

Halo ain't Gears of War.
I do think Halo is just one great game away from being relevant again. Hopefully that is Infinite. Infinite cannot be another "pretty good, 8.5/10" game. I mean it can be and it would be fine, but if the aim is to rocket Halo to prominence, it has to be a bit more than that.

Last edited:

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I do think Halo is just on great game away from being relevant again. Hopefully that is Infinite. Infinite cannot be another "pretty good, 8.5/10" game. I mean it can be and it would be fine, but if the aim is to rocket Halo to prominence, it has to be a bit more than that.

I think Halo needs a satisfying, tight-feeling sandbox that is fully-featured on the MP side from day one - and then it needs a really smart PR push to maximize attention in the right places (such as Twitch).

Personally, I've quietly got a good feeling about Infinite. It might be wishful thinking, but I detect a quiet confidence from 343 that they already know what they are making is great, and it's killing them that they can't say more yet. I thought the July showcase gameplay looked great, concerns about the visuals aside.

Halo fans seemed generally enthusiastic about the gameplay demo (again, visuals aside), which was a big win for 343. Escharum has been well received, and the Banished are a LOT more popular with Halo fans than the Prometheans ever were.

I recall a tweet from.. Ske7ch I think?... in the wake of the July demo, when the Craig memes and complaints about the graphics were flying all over the place, where he simply said something to the effect that they believe they have something special, and people will eventually see for themselves.

Assuming they can dial in the visuals over the next year (and for the record, I think the game looks a LOT better in the 4K YT video of the demo than it did in the actual stream), I think it could be just the game Halo needs.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany

You asked for my opinion so you get it. I don't think this question will arise after Halo Infinite.

I firmly believe that Halo Infinite will be the most popular game in the series, in terms of engagement, people playing, $$ created and post-launch support. With the free-to-play multiplayer and a PC release on the same day (and a TV series potentially launching around the same time or later), that's probably not even such a bold forecast. 343 is a studio that is -- and imo should -- completely focus on Halo for the foreseeable future.

It's still the Xbox first-party game with the biggest potential to practically carry the whole division and give other teams and studios more room to breathe, and it would be a fatal decision to not expand on this potential. I'm very sure we will see new and fresh experiences within the Halo franchise though, similar to how The Mandalorian delivers a successful and new outlook on the existing Star Wars franchise. There is more than enough creative freedom within the Halo universe itself.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think Halo needs a satisfying, tight-feeling sandbox that is fully-featured on the MP side from day one - and then it needs a really smart PR push to maximize attention in the right places (such as Twitch).

Personally, I've quietly got a good feeling about Infinite. It might be wishful thinking, but I detect a quiet confidence from 343 that they already know what they are making is great, and it's killing them that they can't say more yet. I thought the July showcase gameplay looked great, concerns about the visuals aside.

Halo fans seemed generally enthusiastic about the gameplay demo (again, visuals aside), which was a big win for 343. Escharum has been well received, and the Banished are a LOT more popular with Halo fans than the Prometheans ever were.

I recall a tweet from.. Ske7ch I think?... in the wake of the July demo, when the Craig memes and complaints about the graphics were flying all over the place, where he simply said something to the effect that they believe they have something special, and people will eventually see for themselves.

Assuming they can dial in the visuals over the next year (and for the record, I think the game looks a LOT better in the 4K YT video of the demo than it did in the actual stream), I think it could be just the game Halo needs.
I actually really liked the art direction. Sure the graphics were very underwhelming in places, but I thought the style looked excellent. With a year long delay hopefully they can now polish it up so that style really shines.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I actually really liked the art direction. Sure the graphics were very underwhelming in places, but I thought the style looked excellent. With a year long delay hopefully they can now polish it up so that style really shines.

Same. I like the more vibrant and "simple" (for lack of a better word) aesthetic that reminded me a lot of Halo CE. My big problems were the lighting, the plasticky looking textures (which were probably linked in part to the lighting), and the terrible pop-in. You could literally see grass popping in about five metres away, and some really bad distant cloud pop-in when he goes up the lift.

I'm still baffled that they opted to set the demo with the sun located where it was - ensuring the background halo skybox was completely in shadow, as were large portions of the terrain (demolishing any PBR detail), while simultaneously blasting those hexagonal columns with direct sunlight - blowing out any surface detail on them, and making them stick out even more.

It sounds like they very much heard and are addressing these specific criticisms though, so I'm optimistic.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do you guys think The Initiative will only work on the Perfect Dark IP?

I fckn hope not.

Not a fan of studios working on the same franchise forever.

But I do believe, and it's very evident with Double Fine, that MS of today allows full creative control. So if a studio like say Coalition wants to do something new I feel like Phil and team would allow it. Personally, it would be great if a studio works on a franchise and does a new IP in between. I would love if for example Coalition does Gears 6 then creates something new and after that goes back to Gears and then something new again etc. I feel like this would add so much experience and knowledge to studios it would only lead to better games. To each their own though.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
Do you guys think The Initiative will only work on the Perfect Dark IP?
I would hope they work similarly to Naughty Dog and alternate titles and work on new IP. Hopefully The Coalition can move to that model too.

One of the advantages of having so many studios is that there is less reliance on any individual IP. I would imagine it would be easier to keep talent if they get to work on other things too.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I fckn hope not.

Not a fan of studios working on the same franchise forever.

But I do believe, and it's very evident with Double Fine, that MS of today allows full creative control. So if a studio like say Coalition wants to do something new I feel like Phil and team would allow it. Personally, it would be great if a studio works on a franchise and does a new IP in between. I would love if for example Coalition does Gears 6 then creates something new and after that goes back to Gears and then something new again etc. I feel like this would add so much experience and knowledge to studios it would only lead to better games. To each their own though.

I agree, specially about Coalition. Gears 5 was a good game but the open world sections weren't very good. It felt like they're running out of ideas to add new mechanics to the game without having to change the core ones. Hope they finish the trilogy and go make something else. Same for 343 Industries. I believe they said that Infinite is the last Halo.

EDIT: my memories lied to me regarding the last sentence. This is what I read: https://www.ign.com/articles/halo-infinite-2-wont-be-happening-says-343-industries

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I hope Microsoft is doing what they can to get Fantasian on Xbox, I'm seeing a lot of Apple Arcade games come to other platforms via 3rd party publishers, so I don't think there's any sort of exclusivity. Be great to see Mistwalker back on Xbox, even if it was through ID.

ImaginaShawn

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, specially about Coalition. Gears 5 was a good game but the open world sections weren't very good. It felt like they're running out of ideas to add new mechanics to the game without having to change the core ones. Hope they finish the trilogy and go make something else. Same for 343 Industries. I believe they said that Infinite is the last Halo.
LOL

No.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I hear they are making the last James Bond movie as well right after the last Star Wars movie

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Seriously, that is never going to be said. Where could that idea even come from?

www.ign.com

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries - IGN

Don’t expect a Halo 7 – at least not through the traditional means.
Yeah, I misread that. More like "they'll add more content to Halo Infinite rather than releasing a new title" than "it's the last mainline Halo game".

I hear they are making the last James Bond movie as well right after the last Star Wars movie

Great news. The last Star Wars movies really suck. Don't care about James Bond though.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
Hey if MS does acquire Sega in the future I want the OT name to be

Xbox Game Studios |OT????| *Sonic runs by* XBOOOOOOOOOX!

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Xbox really needs to get the rights issues sorted for this.

omg this was so beautiful to finally see. When asked about when we could potentially play it he said "Patience is key" and makes me wonder if maybbeee a release could finally happen? I mean, they went from giving the license to huge publishers like EA and Activision to letting an indie studio like IOI make a 007 game. Things have definitely changed.

if not, at least if the ROM leaks I'll be happy

Edit: he did say in a FAQ comment that he heard its supposed to release this year, which would be huuggeeee.

Last edited:

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It would be a nice reward for them after turning the ship around. To give some of them a break to work on something new and fresh.
What's with people thinking the devs dread working on Halo at The Halo Studio™?

That's always so bizarre to me. You don't go to 343 expecting to work on anything other than Halo, so what the hell is with people thinking that 343 devs hate Halo and would love to work on something else?

If Microsoft made 343 work on something other than Halo, then gave Halo to another studio, that would be the biggest slap in the face, not a reward.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

That's always so bizarre to me. You don't go to 343 expecting to work on anything other than Halo, so what the hell is with people thinking that 343 devs hate Halo and would love to work on something else?

If Microsoft made 343 work on something other than Halo, then gave Halo to another studio, that would be the biggest slap in the face, not a reward.
Because honestly I can see the mainline halo being a headache inducing mess after last Summer's reveal.

They deserve a break from high expectations

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020

I don't think the suggestion was to give Halo to another studio - I think it was to let 343 work on an original IP as a palette cleanser between Halo games.

It's doubtful that 343 employees "dread" working on the game they explicitly applied to work on by virtue of applying for a job at 343 - same with The Coalition - but that still doesn't mean it isn't healthy to let them work on something new that is creatively all theirs, instead of solely making Halo games until the end of time. I'd also imagine it's healthy to get a break from the Halo community and their constant complaining about 343, lol.

FUNKNOWN iXi

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Because honestly I can see the mainline halo being a headache inducing mess after last Summer's reveal.

They deserve a break from high expectations
Then they can work on spin off Halo titles without those expectations. Either way, that's part of the package with working at a AAA studio on a franchise as BOMBASTIC as Halo lol.

"Deserving a break" is such a weird thing to say. It implies these devs are forced against their will to work on something they don't like.
I don't think the suggestion was to give Halo to another studio - I think it was to let 343 work on an original IP as a palette cleanser between Halo games.

It's doubtful that 343 employees "dread" working on the game they explicitly applied to work on by virtue of applying for a job at 343 - same with The Coalition - but that still doesn't mean it isn't healthy to let them work on something new that is creatively all theirs, instead of solely making Halo games until the end of time. I'd also imagine it's healthy to get a break from the Halo community and their constant complaining about 343, lol.
So Halo goes into hibernation as they work on this new IP? That's even worse.

And like I said, spin offs are the solution in your scenario. Like others have said, Halo is a vast and exciting universe, there's so much untapped potential. It would suck to see Halo go away between the long years from one mainline game to the next.

Jan 4, 2018
Anyone remember this from June 2020 last year ?

Polish games studio Bloober Team has entered into merger and acquisition talks.

That's according to a stock market filing – as spotted by VGC – which says that the company is in discussions with a number of firms. Around 12 outfits were initially interested in buying Bloober, with the studio whittling this down to six contenders who will be taking part in a second round of talkings. Three of these companies are from the USA, while two are from Poland and another is from the UK.

www.pcgamesinsider.biz

Bloober Team in M&A talks

Polish games studio Bloober Team has entered into merger and acquisition talks. That's according to a stock market filing – as spotted by VGC – which says that the company is in discus...

It's now February 2021 so I guess that nothing happened ultimately ? Maybe they cancelled whatever was their project at this time (acquisition or being acquired).

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
www.ign.com

Halo Infinite 2 Won't Be Happening, Says 343 Industries - IGN

Don’t expect a Halo 7 – at least not through the traditional means.
Yeah, I misread that. More like "they'll add more content to Halo Infinite rather than releasing a new title" than "it's the last mainline Halo game".

Great news. The last Star Wars movies really suck. Don't care about James Bond though.
Gotcha. I don't doubt Infinite will get SoT levels of support but yeah, definitely not the last Halo.

Status
Not open for further replies.