• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Keep in mind they primarily focus on comparisons between versions of games, so I would assume it's them getting an early look at something.
Then the guesses about Flight Sim sound plausible. First look at it on the Series X or something. Also hope by the time it comes on console they have some more modes on there. I know it's a sim first and foremost, but they should expand the challenges and things like that. It could use more gamey elements to improve its broader appeal. This doesn't have to conflict with the hardcore sim crowd as the game already can scale from a full cockpit setup to a gamepad.

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
giphy.gif

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Then the guesses about Flight Sim sound plausible. First look at it on the Series X or something. Also hope by the time it comes on console they have some more modes on there. I know it's a sim first and foremost, but they should expand the challenges and things like that. It could use more gamey elements to improve its broader appeal. This doesn't have to conflict with the hardcore sim crowd as the game already can scale from a full cockpit setup to a gamepad.

Eh, I doubt Flight Sim is what they're seeing. I think we're finally getting that BC info we've been waiting for for Xbox One games getting things like doubled framerate.

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
Eh, I doubt Flight Sim is what they're seeing. I think we're finally getting that BC info we've been waiting for for Xbox One games getting things like doubled framerate.

Had almost forgotten about the frame rate doubling. I was always under the impression it would be there for launch after they showed FO4 then they just went quiet about it.

Can't wait to see what games are included (besides FO4 and Skyrim).

Bxrz

Banned
Dec 18, 2020
How reliable is that guy cause doing a surprise event makes no sense to me. Especially if the Bethesda deal isn't closed yet so they can't show Starfield, Wolfenstein 3, ect

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
How reliable is that guy cause doing a surprise event makes no sense to me. Especially if the Bethesda deal isn't closed yet so they can't show Starfield, Wolfenstein 3, ect
Its isnt a event. He is a tech guy like DF. So something "techy" going to happen and new stuff on the BC stuff makes sense

Oct 25, 2017
I have a question about the 'Vault' thing.

XGS has 15 studios (and it's probably a lot to manage for Matt Booty). Zenimax-Bethesda will be 8 (managed by Pete Hines I guess).

Could we see in the future possible acquisitions (that aren't publishers) acquired by the Bethesda arm itself (and these studios would join the Bethesda arm instead of the XGS arm) ? Like when Saber (and by extension Embracer) acquired themselves 4A Games ?

www.well-played.com.au

4A Games Has Been Bought Out By Saber Interactive

The future of the studio and its projects remain perfectly intact

Or like with Take Two when Rockstar Games (the publisher), and not the other publishers like 2K or Private Division, acquired Ruffian Games (rebranded Rockstar Dundee).

Don't know if it makes sense.

4A didn't get bought by Saber. They got bought by Embracer and assigned to Saber, one of it's subdivisions. More info here.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
I get this a lot, I just go onto something non gaming related (shows, cooking .. anything else really). Its my reset button.

I was like this last month. Had no motivation to even turn in my system, and if did, it was usually just a couple games of apex. I did start nier automata, cide vein, indivisible, gat outta hell, rotr( free with stadia with 10 rebate thing) etc. But literally didn't get past opening lvls on each. During that time I finally watched fire force( then binged read it) restarted durarara, and rewatched the Wu-Tang hulu series( love joey bada$$ in it) Now I have more motivation with me continuing code vein, blitzing through new season of apex, started dishonored 2, etc.

It's a bit odd, because the last time I can remember just not wanting to play anything at all was when Sega killed the Dreamcast, lol. So it's been a while.
There's not really anything that I could look to as a break, as I kind of do a bit of everything all the time anyway. Watching anime/other TV stuff? I do a bit of that every day. Reading? Same. Baking? I made some bread yesterday afternoon! Exercise? Did that, too...

I guess I could try picking up that guitar I've had sitting in a case for a decade...

Thinking about it, it's probably all a bit exarcerbated by being in lockdown. Not sure why this didn't occur to me before now, hmm.

Not necessarily "looking forward to", but I often find a game - get engrossed in it - and then have sort of a hangover afterwards. The last two were Ryse (finally played it last year and was stunned as how bad the reviews were vs. the game I played) and Brothers: A Tale of Two sons. I played through it with my daughter and sort of ignored the hints of where it was going, and may have traumatized her a bit. The latter has such a strong narrative then I needed a break with the seriousness afterwards - been messing around with Super Lucky's Tale and the Shantae games since.
this is me all the time after a good game, tv series, book, etc. I almost feel "hollow" in some ways while looking for something to fill the void. As someone else suggested, I often find myself "filled" again when I do something completely different: puzzles, building Lego sets, playing board games, attempted to doodle or write…and eventually I want to go back.

Yeah, this I can relate to, especially if I've just finished something particularly long, like an RPG. Kind of feels like you're leaving some friends behind, in a sense :D

Maybe I need to get lost in a lengthy RPG... it's been a while.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope the original Mirrors Edge is one of the games getting boosted. I literally just booted it up and was struck with it being 30fps.

Jan 4, 2018
MS still has a lot of Bethesda games to add (or re-add for some) in Game Pass once the acquisition is complete:

- The Evil Within (never joined)
- The Evil Within 2 (never joined)
- DOOM 2016
- Prey
- Fallout 3
- Fallout 4
- Wolfenstein TNO
- Wolfenstein TNC
- Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (never joined)
- Dishonored Definitive Edition (never joined)
- Dishonored: Death of the Outsider (never joined)
- Oblivion
- Morrowind (maybe) (never joined)
- RAGE (never joined I believe)
- maybe Quake Champions on PC (never joined)
- DOOM 3 (maybe 1 and 2 too) (never joined)

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
If you're getting Capcom, yeah SF and the Marvel v. games are nice, but you're getting the Resident Evil series which is huge all over the globe, Mega Man (which they can probably do something with), Breath of Fire, Dark Stalkers (one of my old favs), DMC, Dead Rising, Dragon's Dogma, Monster Hunter... ect. You're really talking about a Bethesda level acquisition there with strong current IPs and dormant IPs that could span a ton of different genres.
Yeah, Capcom would be huge but I'm not super-super high on it. I feel like the RE franchise is hotter than ever but that the profitability has been really propped up by the remakes they've been doing and that spigot is about to be turned off (because they're running out of games to remake). Monster Hunter would be the next big IP you'd be acquiring, and that would be a great get.

But the thing to remember is that Capcom's stock is nearly triple what it was a year ago, and even that price is the highest it had been in a decade. So like, as a $4b acquisition a year ago I think it would have made a lot of sense. As a $9-10b acquisition it seems like a massive over-spend. Again, there is so much you can do with that kind of money that's probably wiser than locking down an RE game and MH game every four years. Especially given that when we talk about famous-but-diminished IP like Mega Man, why not just do those same things but with your own new IP?

As I've said before, a lot of these acquisitions are just about acquiring development teams. MS can technically build their own teams, but that takes a long time. So the Bethesda acquisition made sense in that they were able to acquire a handful of studios that all make AAA games that are right in the wheelhouse of the Xbox user base. But now that they have a very healthy stable of studios all in production, I think the better course of action is:
  1. Invest in building internal studios like The Initiative.
  2. Focus acquisition exploration on teams/studios instead of publishers. (E.g., I think Square Enix would be open to MS acquiring Crystal Dynamics / Eidos Montreal.)
  3. If there is a short-term need for AAA Day 1 Gamepass content, use that money you're not using to acquire a publisher and use it to get a couple big AAA games on GamePass. Ubisoft, specifically, would be open to a deal I think. Spend a few hundred million dollars and get the next Far Cry and Assassin's Creed on Gamepass, and treat it as a Gamepass marketing expense. Announce that at your E3-ish conference this summer and watch Gamepass subs explode. Then hopefully the first-party content coming out of the existing studios keeps everyone around (and hopefully grows the service) as it rolls out in 2022.
To me, the above is like a <$1B spend (or maybe a bit more than that if you're acquiring Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal) and would be more effective than spending $9B on Capcom.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Yeah, Capcom would be huge but I'm not super-super high on it. I feel like the RE franchise is hotter than ever but that the profitability has been really propped up by the remakes they've been doing and that spigot is about to be turned off (because they're running out of games to remake). Monster Hunter would be the next big IP you'd be acquiring, and that would be a great get.

But the thing to remember is that Capcom's stock is nearly triple what it was a year ago, and even that price is the highest it had been in a decade. So like, as a $4b acquisition a year ago I think it would have made a lot of sense. As a $9-10b acquisition it seems like a massive over-spend. Again, there is so much you can do with that kind of money that's probably wiser than locking down an RE game and MH game every four years. Especially given that when we talk about famous-but-diminished IP like Mega Man, why not just do those same things but with your own new IP?

As I've said before, a lot of these acquisitions are just about acquiring development teams. MS can technically build their own teams, but that takes a long time. So the Bethesda acquisition made sense in that they were able to acquire a handful of studios that all make AAA games that are right in the wheelhouse of the Xbox user base. But now that they have a very healthy stable of studios all in production, I think the better course of action is:
  1. Invest in building internal studios like The Initiative.
  2. Focus acquisition exploration on teams/studios instead of publishers. (E.g., I think Square Enix would be open to MS acquiring Crystal Dynamics / Eidos Montreal.)
  3. If there is a short-term need for AAA Day 1 Gamepass content, use that money you're not using to acquire a publisher and use it to get a couple big AAA games on GamePass. Ubisoft, specifically, would be open to a deal I think. Spend a few hundred million dollars and get the next Far Cry and Assassin's Creed on Gamepass, and treat it as a Gamepass marketing expense. Announce that at your E3-ish conference this summer and watch Gamepass subs explode. Then hopefully the first-party content coming out of the existing studios keeps everyone around (and hopefully grows the service) as it rolls out in 2022.
To me, the above is like a <$1B spend (or maybe a bit more than that if you're acquiring Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal) and would be more effective than spending $9B on Capcom.
Tbh everything indicates they are doing both.

Status
Not open for further replies.