• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmAsuT

Jan 24, 2021
Gotcha, fair point. I think, though, if MS bought Sega and Persona/P-Studio imploded, they'd be less than impressed :D

Generally, I think it's a better idea for MS to start up a couple of new studios in Japan, or pick up some smaller ones (say, Mistwalker, Experience Inc) and staff them up. Obviously that'll take longer, but I don't think there'll be too many established studios in Japan that'll be particularly interested in a Microsoft buyout. Obviously the global market is a much bigger one, but I can't imagine there are many out there that are eager to completely abandon their domestic market.
Totally agree. I think the most effective and efficient way for them would be to attract famous directors (or to buy their studios/companies as you said), like Ueda, Kojima, Taro, Sakaguchi, etc... . They have many admirers among their colleagues and younger talents in the industry so by using their name and connections Microsoft can actually become an option that Japanese developers consider IMO.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I just want to chime in to help beat back the narrative that Gears 5 is struggling for player count in MP. I habe NEVER had to wait long for a match to populate. There is the very rare cases where the player pool has to be expanded twice but I habe never even give a thought to low player count in any of the MP modes because it fills so quickly.

It is simply not true that Gears is struggling to fill MP matches.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
inXile is looking for Lead/Senior Environment Artist and Art Director.

www.inxile-entertainment.com

Careers | inXile Entertainment

Help us create the next great Xbox Game Studios title from our Orange County and New Orleans offices.

I would love to see Viktor Antonov at inXile for that project. His design at Half Life 2 and Dishonored were top class.

Adrifi

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
the Spanish Basque Country
Oh and I guess I should have added...I have 0 issue ever getting into any kind of match either.
Literally no one has issues finding matches in Gears 5 except some ERA users who, coincidentally, think that Gears is dead (which is false, as I proved) or that Gears 5 was badly received by the community (which is mostly false too, as I proved before) or that the Gears games are not considered good by the professional critics and thus, they need to change (which is false too).

Wait...

Hold on...

It's almost like some people are making things up just to support the narrative they are trying to push... 🤭

Mar 19, 2020
Let's share some facts about Gears 5:

- Gears 4 and 5 got a 85-86 metascore and received praise for its well designed encounters and tight gameplay. The new mechanics in Gears 5 (abilities, leveling up, giving orders to Jack, being able to jump over obstacles while running) were considered good additions to the gameplay, making it more complex, tactic and varied. It also received applause for its inclusivity, being 3 of the 4 main characters a Hispanic woman, a Black man, and a man of Asian (Indian) origin, something that is still not too common in AAA games.

- Some relevant scores for Gears 5: The Telegraph (10/10), VGC (10/10), IGN (9/10), Dualshockers (9/10), LevelUp (9/10), Jeuxvideo (9/10). As per Gotypicks, it received some GOTY awards too.

- Gears 5 is the second highest rated game in the franchise on Metacritic by players with an 8.2 user metascore, having 3,000 user reviews as of now (only Gears 1 has a higher score, 8.4). Its campaign is usually regarded as one of the best in the franchise alongside 2's and 3's. It is also the game in the franchise with the highest amount of user reviews on Metacritic, proving again that it's been played by a ton of people and that's it not "only hardcore fans" who have reviewed the game. It has almost double the reviews Gears 3 and 4 have.

- Gears 5 is the 14th most played game on Xbox right now globally according to Trueachievements (before being a Game with Gold it was #21, 1.5 years after launch).

- Gamstat had Gears 5 at 9 million players in November with 1.1 million monthly active players. It's tracking way better than 4 in terms of players too.

- 28th most played game in the US, 5th most played game in Mexico, 6th most played game in Colombia, 19th most played game in France, etc. Most of the the games surpassing it are free to play behemoths like Warzone, Rocket League, Apex Legends and the like. It's more popular on Xbox Live than games like Fallout 76, ESO, Borderlands 3 and is just behind PUBG.

Gamstat, Trueachievements, Metacritic and Xbox Live show that Gears 5 had 1 million more players launch aligned than 4 as of November 2020. It'll surpass Gears 4 in terms of total players in a few months (if it haven't done so during the Holidays which is very possible). It's having a higher MAU rate too. This "shrinking players" thing is factually false. All metrics show us that Gears 5 is alive and doing better than past entries.

And some of you don't have eyes if you haven't noticed a change in the art direction.

This is how Gears looked under Epic Games:

Y4vPgdxJo7JgFCa2BWEEz7-1200-80.jpg

Gears-of-War-3-Forces-of-Nature-DLC-New-Screenshots-Surface-8.jpg

gow-ultimate-edition-01_hkj7.1080.jpg

904333-gears-of-war-ultimate-edition-xbox-one-screenshot-fighting.jpg

gears-of-war-ultimate-edition

Gears-Of-War-1-Game-Picture-2.jpg

Gears-Of-War-1-Game-Picture.jpg

gears-of-war-03.png

It was all grey and beige and the image had a lot of filtering to make it look like movies like The Hurt Locker (which were popular when Gears 1 came out). The environments were always urban and there were close to zero natural environments.

And this is, for comparison, how Gears 5 looks, look at the colors and the decorative elements and imagery:

Gears-5-Hivebusters-DLC-graphics-03.jpg

Gears-5-Hivebusters-DLC-graphics-06.jpg

Gears-5-_Ice-Forest-min.jpg

nws_gears5_010.jpg

gears-5-skiff.jpg

7CJ2S7VTWJGTXAVPJDTO774NWY.jpg

dgmqvzdqd6lgqfuczy9c.png

GQF5qjE.png

VGFVEquNcnQGdRFYgvQifD-1200-80.png

If Epic Games used to go for a 90% urban - 10% natural environment ratio, The Coalition goes for the opposite. Colors are much more vibrant, too.

Even in the classic urban environments Gears has, you can notice a dramatic shift in the visual identity. While urban environments in the old Gears games were grey, beige and black, urban environments in 5 are more yellow, red or green. Blue, a color pretty much non-existent before, appears much more in 5's urban environments. Urban environments in Gears 5 are more similar to those of a fantasy game instead of a retro futuristic war game like Gears 1, Homefront or Resistance.

Gears-5-High.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Gears-5-Screenshot-2019-08-30-22-49-03.jpg

a4a0f4d8a5e11e8845413bd4d01705ef2b9ee967.jpg

ibrahim-wahab-regency-03.jpg

Gears_5_Act_4___Chapter_1_Homefront_collectibles_guide_header.jpg

gears-5-collectible-ilima-city-license-plate.jpg

Character design has changed a lot too. Now characters are less "bulky" with less body protection - especially in arms and legs - and have much more color to them. They feel more natural and agile and less "dudebro-y", if you will. Characters in 5 have more realistic body proportions too.

From this

Gears_Of_War.jpg

gears-3-41.jpeg

4779291-gears-of-war.jpg

To this

3a47da0a41c7c21aead9ee9ffcd5e56a.png

fernando-ometto-mac02.jpg

latest

5f4ea3b998b245e6059a130991889862.jpg

latest

e86e1bf6fab88a7bc7c2812201aa470b.jpg
This is a good write up. I enjoyed Gears 5, it's not my favorite game, but the changes you described are what made me give it a chance. Now I'm somewhat excited for where Gears goes next as opposed to totally put off by it.

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
What do we know about Double Fine? Prior to the acquisition, they'd put out at least one small title almost every year, but since they've joined XGS, all we've heard about is Psychonauts 2 (except for Rad, which was a Bandai Namco publishing deal). Is the whole studio working on Psychonauts 2? Do they have a smaller team or two being headlined by other directors in the studio? Have they staffed up since the acquisition?

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
With the conversation surrounding Japanese first party studios in Japan, I personally feel like the best method is for Xbox to transition Tango Gameworks into their 'Xbox Japan' team - similar to what Sony have had with their Japan studio.

I think Tango was created with the vision of being a multi-team studio. MS should focus on expanding this studio to having multiple teams and projects at work (some AA, some AAA). You could also pitch the idea of a Lost Odyssey Reboot to Tango as well to see if they're interested in the IP

Jan 4, 2018
Once the acquisition is complete, these should be the 5 biggest Xbox studios in terms of number of employees:

- 343 Industries (+600 or +700)
- Zenimax Online (+400 or +450)
- Bethesda Games Studios (+400 or +450)
- Playground (+300)
- id Software (+300) (could also be Arkane or Rare, Linkedin is not 100% reliable)

How many employees has The Coalition ? It's 182 on Linkedin but I recall seeing a way bigger number of employees on this thread or on Twitter.

Last edited:

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
With the conversation surrounding Japanese first party studios in Japan, I personally feel like the best method is for Xbox to transition Tango Gameworks into their 'Xbox Japan' team - similar to what Sony have had with their Japan studio.

I think Tango was created with the vision of being a multi-team studio. MS should focus on expanding this studio to having multiple teams and projects at work (some AA, some AAA). You could also pitch the idea of a Lost Odyssey Reboot to Tango as well to see if they're interested in the IP

One of the key points of the acquisition was that Bethesda Softworks would retain creative control over their group of studios and continue to publish games as they see fit.

Mikami runs Tango, but chooses to be more of a mentor to up-and-coming directors these days. John Johanas and Evil Within 2 (such a bizarrely under-rated game) was the first such project. Ikumi Nakamura and Ghostwire Tokyo was to be the second, but she quit. I think they've always been on the smaller side, I don't see that changing.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Once the acquisition is complete, these should be the 5 biggest Xbox studios in terms of number of employees:

- 343 Industries (+600 ou +700)
- Zenimax Online (+400 ou +450)
- Playground (+300)
- id Software (+300) (could also be Arkane or Rare, Linkedin is not 100% reliable)

How many employees has The Coalition ? It's 182 on Linkedin but I recall seeing a way bigger number of employees on this thread or on Twitter.

Pretty sure Arkane is on the smaller side, even with two separate studios working on separate projects. I remember around the time Prey released, one of the mods here (can't remember which) inferred that Arkane's games are whatever the low end of the AAA budget spectrum is. I want to say Arkane Austin had around 75 people when Prey shipped. There's approximately 150 people total between the two offices.

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
Totally agree. I think the most effective and efficient way for them would be to attract famous directors (or to buy their studios/companies as you said), like Ueda, Kojima, Taro, Sakaguchi, etc... . They have many admirers among their colleagues and younger talents in the industry so by using their name and connections Microsoft can actually become an option that Japanese developers consider IMO.
I'd like for Microsoft to create or buy a Japanese start up company like Hajime Tabata's JP games but it seems like a long and protracted process.

As the risk of eye rolls, an acquisition of Sega solves a lot of problems quickly. While Sega's development teams have become heavily consolidated, they do have Japanese studios within their somewhat convoluted CS R & D structure and have relationships with other JP studios whom they outsource their IP to (Valkyria Chronicles games & Shining Resonance).

Add to that a ton of IP worth reviving like Phantasy Star, Shinobi, Jet Set Radio or Vanquish that Microsoft can produce. What's interesting is that if you think about it, MS already own the studio that developed Alpha Protocol in Obsidian & while they don't own Platinum they will own Tango Gameworks. They can potentially do a Vanquish 2 given that it's Shinji Mikami's studio and he directed the first one but that's in the "highly unlikely" territory I guess.

Just my thoughts on that though.

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017

- 343 Industries (+600 ou +700)
- Zenimax Online (+400 ou +450)
- Playground (+300)

I did not realize Zenimax Online was that big lol

W.S.

Honest Work
Oct 28, 2017
What do we know about Double Fine? Prior to the acquisition, they'd put out at least one small title almost every year, but since they've joined XGS, all we've heard about is Psychonauts 2 (except for Rad, which was a Bandai Namco publishing deal). Is the whole studio working on Psychonauts 2? Do they have a smaller team or two being headlined by other directors in the studio? Have they staffed up since the acquisition?
I don't know how they're structured but going by Tim Schafer's interviews it seems like all hands on deck with Psychonauts 2 since it's their biggest game. I hope they do more frequent smaller scoped games like RAD & Headlander after Psychonauts 2 though, those were really fun.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021

- 343 Industries (+600 or +700)
- Zenimax Online (+400 or +450)
- Playground (+300)

This tweet says 350 in 2017. I think they have around 400 employees now.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
as for id, I am interested to see what they can do if they make an Xbox specific title. They are known to make their own engine sing, so imagine what they could potentially kick out as an exclusive game.

alphacat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
One of the key points of the acquisition was that Bethesda Softworks would retain creative control over their group of studios and continue to publish games as they see fit.

Mikami runs Tango, but chooses to be more of a mentor to up-and-coming directors these days. John Johanas and Evil Within 2 (such a bizarrely under-rated game) was the first such project. Ikumi Nakamura and Ghostwire Tokyo was to be the second, but she quit. I think they've always been on the smaller side, I don't see that changing.

would they have the endsay in which platforms they publish for or would that be Microsoft?

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
The Coalition has 350+ employees.

bildschirmfoto2020-04lijya.png

There you go I suppose lol. The Coalition has been a big studio for a while otherwise they would not have been able to release AAA games in a span of 3 years.

Do you reckon Gears 6 will stick to the 3 year release schedule, or do you think they might take an extra year this time to realise an ambitious feature etc?

Klobrille

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There you go I suppose lol. The Coalition has been a big studio for a while otherwise they would not have been able to release AAA games in a span of 3 years.

Do you reckon Gears 6 will stick to the 3 year release schedule, or do you think they might take an extra year this time to realise an ambitious feature etc?
Gears 5 released in 2019 and I'm very sure the next big Gears release will get more time, and as such not releasing in 2022. Gears 5 receiving tremendous post-launch support and Gears 5: Hivebusters requires resources, and XGS has enough other studios delivering content in the next 1 - 3 years. I expect the next mainline Gears game (I'm not so sure it'll actually be numbered) in 2023 or later.

Nov 29, 2019
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Art Direction already changed with Gears 5 a bit and is key to the franchise's identity.

You guys here demanding art direction to change and then you have a mess like Halo 5.

Thank. You.

I'm not even the hardcore fan of Gears (I play mostly the campaign), but it's obvious that the art style and characters design are the pillars to the franchise identity. I said it before, if you want that to change, you don't want Gears, you just want a new shiny TPS

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
what are the chances that they work on a new ip

I honestly think it depends on the reception of Gears 6 and whether it can expand the audience of Gears.

Gears 5 released in 2019 and I'm very sure the next big Gears release will get more time, and as such not releasing in 2022. Gears 5 receiving tremendous post-launch support and Gears 5: Hivebusters requires resources, and XGS has enough other studios delivering content in the next 1 - 3 years. I expect the next mainline Gears game (I'm not so sure it'll actually be numbered) in 2023 or later.

That's my inkling as well with Xbox having the studios to deliver content I think it will allow The Coalition to work on the next Gears for longer than usual. I think they deserve it as well because although they are amazingly efficient, they have been on a tightish deadline to release the games and they always come out feature complete and high quality, imagine what they could do with more development time.

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Can't wait to see combat system of Avowed.

A mix of Lichdom & Chivalry II with big budget put on Next gen Animation & VFX will be perfect.

(Timestamp)

(Timestamp)

ez123

Feb 18, 2020
I'd love a Dead Space like Gears horror game.
Just atmosphere or gameplay too? I don't ever want a Gears shooter with no blind fire, there are other ways to create tension but it seems like every horror shooter is like that.

Actually, I can't remember if Dead Space allowed blind fire or not. Making a game like Dead Space with a health indicator that doesn't take up the whole screen like Gears used to be would be good.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Tim Shafer himself confirmed they'd be supporting other Xbox studios with their established franchises as well as branching out of games to work on the next version of MS Excel and other Office programs.
Source: https://youtu.be/YuRTYh5LwDs

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
That's my inkling as well with Xbox having the studios to deliver content I think it will allow The Coalition to work on the next Gears for longer than usual. I think they deserve it as well because although they are amazingly efficient, they have been on a tightish deadline to release the games and they always come out feature complete and high quality, imagine what they could do with more development time
That's one aspect that doesn't get mentioned enough, because XGS having more studios means efficient studios like TC, Turn 10, ... getting more time to deliver something even better and I am excited about this.

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
That's one aspect that doesn't get mentioned enough, because XGS having more studios means efficient studios like TC, Turn 10, ... getting more time to deliver something even better and I am excited about this.

Well Turn 10 has already been given more time because it is 2021 and Forza Motorsport is still nowhere in sight despite the last one coming out in 2017 and Turn 10 always delivered a Forza game every 2 years and I do expect The Coalition to be given more time and we should get better games due to it.

Arctic Chris

Dec 5, 2017
Ottawa Canada

This is great but why does Microsoft have so many Xbox apps? Why not having everything in the same Xbox app. I hate looking for something in the Xbox app, then seeing if it available in the GamePass app (this is where Quests for Microsoft rewards are kind of tracked), and then discovering that while you can trigger a download from either the GamePass app or the Xbox app - you cannot buy a game or check the price of a game in either app. A visit to the Microsoft store via the website is needed. And there is also an Events app which I have never opened - not sure what this one is for. This is a bit of a cluster fuck IMHO. How can anyone at Microsoft/Xbox look at this and be happy with the experience?

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Well Turn 10 has already been given more time because it is 2021 and Forza Motorsport is still nowhere in sight despite the last one coming out in 2017 and Turn 10 always delivered a Forza game every 2 years and I do expect The Coalition to be given more time and we should get better games due to it.
It's one of my most anticipated games, because of the time Turn10 got and what they've said about the direction of the reboot. I can't wait, because the team delivered good games in a 2 year rhythm.

Last edited:

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
www.youtube.com

Updates on xCloud for PC, iOS and more

An update on the status of xCloud on the PC and iOS - along with new stats from team Xbox and an Xbox Live Gold debacle.

Notes:
- Xcloud coming to PC in Spring still, coming 'sooner rather than later'
- Opened for preview to wide demographic
- Works w/ Edge/Chrome (chromium engine), safari unknown, same w/ firefox
- Doesnt look like it will coming w/ an app, will be coming in a browser most likely, unknown whats going to come with the previously leaked Xcloud PC App
- Should just be able to log into a browser (speculation)
- Latency feels about good as it does on an Android
- iOS update: further behind still

Not much new info

Last edited:

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
There's, what, nine, ten million PS4's in Japan? I'd imagine Atlus see that as a viable audience to sell into. I know the PS5 is widely expected to do much worse, but let's be honest, Persona 6 is going to straddle both generations anyway.

But yes, in general, I agree that Sega wouldn't sell if they thought that was a possibility.

Oh yeah, I'm not saying Playstation is an insignificant market in Japan, I'm just saying if Atlus was regularly releasing new games on PC and if people could play them on the phones (or even smart TVs) they already own those 10 million odd consoles wouldn't be missed as much. Especially since some of those players would follow the games to wherever, especially when the barrier to following the games is so low. If it were gonna be exclusive to Xbox Series X I'd be less optimistic, but PC gaming is picking up in Japan and the average commute in Tokyo is like an hour, so there's definitely room for traditional games steamed on mobile.

It's hopefully, gods, ancestors and faeries willing, a moot point and Sega will stay Sega, but I guess I'm hedging my bets and trying to stay optimistic if it happens, hah.

Zg9

Jan 18, 2020
In case someone has not seen it, I leave it here, this game will also come to Xbox.
It looks good, CyberConnect2 has never disappointed me.

Status
Not open for further replies.