• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Lets wait for any official confirmation first, Microsoft's earnings results are next week (Monday I believe) so we won't have to wait long, will be impressive if they do hit 23m

Montresor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious what the numbers will be once more games get released, like Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Starfield, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Flight Simulator on Xbox, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable, Forza Motorsport, Kojima's next game, etc.

Kida

Oct 27, 2017
23m would mean they added 5 million in less than 4 months... Should be easy for them to be well over 30m by the end of the year.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
My first thought was "man, wait until the next Elder Scrolls releases" but that's probably too far away to consider, lol.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
Crazy, this will def have a huge impact on the industry.
Sony will probably have to propose something similar in the coming years. I only see Nintendo maybe being able to survive off this for a while since they are always late on trend lol.

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Gamepass subscriptions = the new Xbox hardware units sold :P

As long as the sub makes sense for me, I'll continue using it.

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Damn, thats a lot of money every month. At minimum every month they are looking at earning between 229.77 Million (23m * $9.99) And at maximum thet are looking at 345 Million (23m * $15).

Given that a Modern AAA Game costs anywhere from 40-80 Milliion to produce, Microsoft earns the equivelent budget of 2-4 AAA games every month. No wonder they are going all in on Game-Pass

Fabs

Aug 22, 2019
I wonder how many were pushed in by Octopath, Outriders, and MLB. This hopefully gets MS to reinvest in the platform this summer with day one releases while the studios ramp up output.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
But is it sustainable yet?!?!?!?!

MealyJointBobolink-size_restricted.gif

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Pretty crazy considering MS still hasn't really seen the results of expanding their 1st party so aggressively. Once their heavy hitters start coming I expect to see these numbers rise sharply.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Damn, thats a lot of money every month. At minimum every month they are looking at earning between 229.77 Million (23m * $9.99) And at maximum thet are looking at 345 Million (23m * $15).

Given that a Modern AAA Game costs anywhere from 40-80 Milliion to produce, Microsoft earns the equivelent budget of 2-4 AAA games every month.

There are alot of people that got gamepass way cheaper than that (gold-gamepass transfer and promo incentives) and no AAA game these days is under 80 million.
They are on the right track though.

Hotsuma

Oct 28, 2017
At this point, they have to be beyond thrilled with the results. I'm going to hold on to the subscription even when I'm not playing too much. Just having the means for family and friends to turn on the system and find something they me be interested in is a good thing!

Jan 4, 2018
If correct, that's impressive.

But I think the best is yet to come with xCloud (when Beta ends and it comes to TVs and PCs), All Access, the end of shortages and the big first-party releases.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
That is bang on target for what I thought it would be. Fantastic growth and well past the tipping point for this being the industry leading and a totally sustainable subscription service. This will only grow as MS's acquired studios really start to churn out content, supported by bigger 3rd party day one deals. Similarly, more and more people with buy new consoles using All Access and PC subs will pick up more once streaming comes fully online.

It'll be a bit of a push but they can get to 25m by e3.

The snowball effect of this massive number is more 3rd parties will want in on it. Publishers AND developers.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice....well done Phil. Halo Infinite should bring it to 30million...then FH5, Starfield another 5 - 8 millions🤪...😉

To sustain this growth and keep engagement high Xbox needs to be even more aggressive with 3P GP deals, 1P output and acquisitions.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
I'm curious what the numbers will be once more games get released, like Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5, Starfield, Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Ghostwire Tokyo, Flight Simulator on Xbox, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Everwild, Perfect Dark, Fable, Forza Motorsport, Kojima's next game, etc.
Agreed. It's incredible when you consider that to date the biggest games released into were Horizon 4 nearly three years ago and Gears 5 nearly two years ago. Good optics seems to equal adoption. The real killer will be when the halo markting train gets rolling.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just as important as adding more games to the service will be opening it up to more devices. They're beta testing iOS and PC streaming now. I can easily see that they could have iOS, PC, Smart TVs, and a dongle by the end of the year. Couple that with swapping out the server blades for Series X and it'll be both much more compelling to stream while also much easier and widely available.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Considering that we read that 70 of all peple who are buying XS consoles are subsribing to GP, this is not suprising.

Oct 25, 2017

Given that a Modern AAA Game costs anywhere from 40-80 Milliion to produce, Microsoft earns the equivelent budget of 2-4 AAA games every month. No wonder they are going all in on Game-Pass

This would be revenue,not profit.

They still have to pay third parties to come to gp.

Vico

Jan 3, 2018
Lets wait for any official confirmation first, Microsoft's earnings results are next week (Monday I believe) so we won't have to wait long, will be impressive if they do hit 23m

It won't be 23 million since the Q3 data ends in march. So any new subscribers in april wouldn't be counted towards these official numbers yet (and that's probably a lot of new subscribers with 2 new AAA releases on the service).