• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
That's the same thing.
There's having marketing rights like with Crash Team Racing, which is how I read the post, where preorders are available for every platform but only company properly promotes the game, and there's the idea that one company is keeping preorders and the existence of the game launching same day on another console quiet and non-existent, which to me is unheard of and ludicrous.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those saying Sony might have a deal with Square to keep them from mentioning other platforms ... is this something that happened before? I only ask because I find this practice on a whole different level of distastefulness. I sort of understand the idea of not mentioning another version of the game that would come a year later, but not mentioning the game coming out on different platforms on the same date is a big no no for me.

Not to this extent but the only was Xbox could market destiny was

xbox-destiny-hed-2014.jpg

https://www.adweek.com/creativity/x...-game-so-it-made-destiny-fake-perfume-159982/

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Remember the press shenigans Sony and SE did for the pc version of Nier Automata?

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
There's having marketing rights like with Crash Team Racing, which is how I read the post, where preorders are available for every platform but only company properly promotes the game, and there's the idea that one company is keeping preorders and the existence of the game launching same day on another console quiet and non-existent, which to me is unheard of and ludicrous.
It is. But look at Nier:A and the PC version. Same thing.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Remember the press shenigans Sony and SE did for the pc version of Nier Automata?
Yes, lol. The PC version had fuck all coverage before launch. If you weren't following it, you'd assume the game was exclusive to PS4. It seriously wouldn't surprise me if something changed behind the scenes.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
I think there is no chance this is releasing day and date at present on Xbone, but stranger things have happened. This is hardly confirmation though. I think it will definitely hit Xbone at some point though. Otherwise would have been confirmed as a full exclusive

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
it could be an error but it will be interesting to see how it plays out..
Yes, lol. The PC version had fuck all coverage before launch. If you weren't following it, you'd assume the game was exclusive to PS4. It seriously wouldn't surprise me if something changed behind the scenes.
Interesting.

JetroPT

Jun 11, 2019
Wat lol

If this does come on 3/3 then it could be similar to Nioh or where only PlayStation was allowed to be mentioned. Alternatively the play it first could be for an eventual demo.

Nioh only came to Playstation at launch. It was later ported to PC. It wasn't on the same day.

BTW, this seems like a mistake. I'm always skeptical when region specific twitter/facebook/whatever accounts post things that goes against what is known at the time. I do think it might come later to Xbox as well as PC, but we would know if it was on the same day. Even with the PS marketing. SE would have mentioned it.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It is. But look at Nier:A and the PC version. Same thing.
The source I'm reading says that was announced in 2016, and it released after the PS4 version. The Xbox ad says that an Xbox release would be the same day.

It's also a bit of a struggle to find evidence from a few years ago of Sony doing everything in their power to keep the existence and preorders of Nier A a secret, so I'll just take your word for it.

Basically I get if they paid for marketing rights, but the idea that Sony is paying for no marketing from xbox (which this ad goes against if legit) and no preorders at all is absurd to me.

Edit: I did jump from the original post I quoted but I stand by the idea of Sony paying for Xbox to not mention that they have the game coming to their platform, if legit, is absurd, especially after how SE words it in their press releases.

Last edited:

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'd be surprised if VII-R doesn't hit non-Sony platforms, but no way this would be coming the same day on Xbox. Not even a single hint was given during the relaunch of the game this E3.

We'll probably get a rerelease (with DLC or whatever to make it stand out from the original when it comes to PS5 and it being backwards compatible) come next gen and that'd include Scarlet and PC.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
How does the Xbox team accidentally type that whole message then?

It doesn't make sense
have you heard about this thing called doing a mistake? those happen rather often.
SE told us last month in their E3 press release it releases "first on PS4 on march 3rd 2020", or are you going to tell me now they delayed the launch of the xbox version by an hour, do you understand how ridiculous you sound right now?

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
SE press release states the game will debut first on PS4 on March 3rd 2020. It's a mistake, it will of course come to PC and Xbox (One or Two, I don't know), but not on the same day as PS4.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
I think they did something similar with the PC version of Nier but IIRC SE announced it before. Also DQ was "announced" at some point for Switch so this would be a different situation.

Seems really strange.

Hmm... if I recall correctly, Nier was also announced for the PC, tho keeping the date a secret given how close to the PS4 release it was is still extremely shady. As for Dragon Quest XI, I think that one was announced from pretty much the very beginning as coming out on both PS4 and Nintendo Switch (along with 3DS). I think they announced it before the Switch was even known as the Switch.

I understand marketing deals used in order to associate brands together (even tho I have problems with this practice as well). However I don't think they hid in any way the release (date) of Destiny on Xbox.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
SE press release states the game will debut first on PS4 on March 3rd 2020. It's a mistake, it will of course come to PC and Xbox (One or Two, I don't know), but not on the same day as PS4.

Technically: March 3rd is happening first in Japan and before Europe/America, and a possible Xbox version wouldn't be released there, making "Debut first" correct.

:]

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
We are talking about the same Square Enix who doesn't acknowledge on their official Twitter that Dragon Quest Builders 2 will also launch on Switch. They only mention the PS4 version every time they tweet about it. I know this is not exactly the same situation but such a platform shenanigans would not surprise me one bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If this release date is real and Sony is essentially stopping them to have pre orders for other platforms this is shady as fuck

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Iirc Diablo 3 had a deal where nobody would tell if there was an xbox version or not.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The "NieR New Project" announcement trailer that i saw back in 2015 only showed PS4. Just rewatched it because i was sure there was no mention of PC back then.
Yes but SE announced it on PC after and even if the press wasn't talking about it ( due to Sony deal ) we knew from an official source that was coming.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's already been listed for XBO on the Irish Gamestop site then removed. Not really a surprise. Just have to wait and see how long the timed exclusive runs for.

Remember when everyone lost their shit when MS done this with RotTR?...

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
It's already been listed for XBO on the Irish Gamestop site then removed. Not really a surprise. Just have to wait and see how long the timed exclusive runs for.

Remember when everyone lost their shit when MS done this with RotTR?...
EB Games listed it for Xbox One from 2015 to earlier this year. Maybe Gamestop Ireland was doing what they do, try and get money from unconfirmed games :P

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Drive-by platform warring; accumulated infractions.
There's shooting in it with Barrett so maybe it will sell more than 10 copies on Xbox?

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Yes but SE announced it on PC after and even if the press wasn't talking about it ( due to Sony deal ) we knew from an official source that was coming.

Afterwards, yes. If this MS PR thing is a "posted too early" situation, it could very well lead to SQEX announcing themselves sometime in the near future.

It's 50/50.

Chaserjoey

Oct 27, 2017
This was a recent listing. This summer I believe so it wasn't just guesswork based on "first to PS4".
Did it go up around the SE press conference? They might have had a page prepped in case of an Xbox announcement and pushed it through by mistake. Of course, we don't know the story inside of Gamestop Ireland or how and why an employee published it in the first place.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Afterwards, yes. If this MS PR thing is a "posted too early" situation, it could very well lead to SQEX announcing themselves sometime in the near future.

It's 50/50.
SE just announced less than a month ago that the game is still coming first to PS4. it'd be very weird to announce the game coming day and date with the PS4 version after that.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
have you heard about this thing called doing a mistake? those happen rather often.
SE told us last month in their E3 press release it releases "first on PS4 on march 3rd 2020", or are you going to tell me now they delayed the launch of the xbox version by an hour, do you understand how ridiculous you sound right now?
Okay then, run me through a logical situation where the Xbox team messes something up like this. What's going on in the office that causes something like this to happen?

Plans change, maybe they worked something out in the past month.

I'd sooner believe this is a dumb employee trolling than I would believe it's a mistake on their part. It's not a simple typo, it's an entire announcement. Like "oops boss, I thought this huge game that's known to be PS4 exclusive was coming to Xbox too and wrote out a whole announcement for it! My bad, please don't fire me I didn't know!"

It just doesn't make sense

addik

Oct 28, 2017
The whole Nier: Automata thing was whack to be honest. We knew that it was coming from PC after being announced for the PS4 (through a Yoko Taro video where he screams "Valve!"), subsequently confirmed and reconfirmed throughout the different press stops, but trailers kept on pushing the PS4 version.

Then, it comes a week late in Steam with bugs all over.

I'm not saying that Sony had a deal with SQEX, but it just felt like this was a case of SQEX botching a PC launch rather than Sony getting into a deal with SQEX (because let's face it, at this point, Nier wasn't a proven IP yet and the last game bombed).

This would be a completely new case if SQEX isn't even allowed to talk about the game being released on Xbox on the same day as the PS4 version.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
sony earned their exclusive rights to this. gtfo microsoft.

/s

Agreed. I am one of those gamers that feel that 3rd party exclusive should still exists. I wanted to play Lost Odyssey with all my might but I despise Microsoft and will never buy one if they had all of the 3rd party. I'll go right back to retro.

Status
Not open for further replies.