• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the graphics will improve at launch ?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

• It looks great to me already. People are overreacting

• I don’t care, I hate Halo.

Results are only viewable after voting.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg responded to criticism about Infinite's graphics, saying: "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

Aaron: " The other thing I'll just say is: it is a work-in-progress. I can tell you, because we see build check-ins every week, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday it's just going to get better and better."

Aaron responds to feedback " It's very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream. Go back and look at it in 4K 60," referring to the fact that the stream was delivered live in 1080p, but the gameplay premiere can be viewed in 4K 60 FPS on the Halo YouTube channel.

More here:

www.ign.com

Halo Infinite Demo Was a Work-in-Progress Build, But Running on a PC as Powerful as Series X - IGN

Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg notes that Halo Infinite's campaign gameplay premiere displayed a "work-in-progress" build of the game.

Edit: added poll.

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Im very excited for this game so dont get me wrong.

But why, in the WORLD, would you not choose a more recent demo and run it on the series x?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

But why, in the WORLD, would you not choose a more recent demo and run it on the series x?

"Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That said, many have pointed to flat lighting and low-resolution textures in official screenshots of the game, but Greenberg reiterated that the looks will improve: "The other thing I'll just say is: it is a work-in-progress. I can tell you, because we see build check-ins every weekl, and they make progress week after week, so between now and Holiday it's just going to get better and better."

Hopefully this is true.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Did he just ........ Blame Covid-19 for the graphics?
People are working at home and compiling playable builds to demo is more difficult to do than if everyone was working from the office. It isn't at all surprising they used some older stuff here for the demo, seeing as people just HAD to see it.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I watched it in 4k 60fps directly and the only thing that was more clear was the terrible LODs.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017

Maybe they didn't have time to make a more recent build hold a stable 60 FPS? Maybe they didn't want to create a vertices slice using a recent build, which is a pain in the ass in the best of times?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox Marketing GM Aaron Greenberg responded to criticism about Infinite's graphics, saying: "Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."

Aaron responds to feedback " It's very hard to show the full power and graphical fidelity of what Xbox Series X will be able to deliver for you over a stream. Go back and look at it in 4K 60,"

Which one is it? 'Disregard what you've seen' or 'behold'?

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
People are working at home and compiling playable builds to demo is more difficult to do than if everyone was working from the office. It isn't at all surprising they used some older stuff here for the demo, seeing as people just HAD to see it.

This applies to every game. Hasn't this game been in development for years?

We see demos of games years away that are in better shape.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
Just like the Alanah thread where does it say it was an early build? He just said that they are still working on it and that it is a work in progress build.

This build might only be a few weeks old to a month old no one will actually specify.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
This game has been in development for 5 years. This demo build is apparently from before the US even took any notice of the pandemic. I don't buy this excuse.

The game is releasing in 4 months. I don't see the graphics changing much from now until then.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I mean, off course was a Work-In-Progress Build, the game launches in 4~5 months, it's not like they showed the final game.
And there is nothing in the article stating that is a ''early'' build, this can be a Work-in-Progress build and at the same new stuff.

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
How is July "far from release"? You can't even show the game running on the actual hardware less than 4 months from release?

Last edited:

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Did you just.......imply that covid-19 has not affected game production in anyway? Like, ignoring the fact that e3 was heavily delayed on top of the lack of explicit game demos we got this year, have you just, not noticed the state of the demos with gameplay compared to the perfect polish of e3 demos in the past? Ratchet and Clank had pop in and framerate drops while flexing the SSD, Halo had pop in while showing off the open world money shot. There are countless reminders that we're on the middle of a pandemic and the community really needs to come to terms with that. Hell, just think about how many gifs of demos we get year after year that get spammed on the forum countlessly, like this guy:
tnYVGB6.gif

and how little we've seen of that this year because none of the studios were able to make the demos with the same amount of polish.

How often does a game end up looking dramatically better in 6 months?
.....I feel like many devs reading this post would have this exact reaction after major crunch:
you%2Bhave%2Ba%2Bpoint.jpg

Last edited:

pappacone

Jan 10, 2020
sometimes someone brings up this myth about games looking better some months AFTER the trailer

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, under normal circumstances I'd laugh at the man too.

We are not in normal circumstances. I expect more delays and push backs for everyone(Sony, MS, EA, all of them).'

Bungie had to push back an expansion(not a major game) by two whole months. One they had already been working on prior for a game already out.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I mean I get it but at the same time I wouldn't call 4 months far off.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, the game ships in five months, tops.

I have no doubt that some things will improve, but I wouldn't expect anything dramatic. It's not going to suddenly turn into the graphical showpiece for "the world's most powerful console" that it arguably should be.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
It is releasing in 4 months, I doubt there is much time for it to substantially change. More polished? sure

Jul 13, 2020
It's an open-world game running at 4K/60. Takes place on a Halo ring playing as Master Chief only. Can't wait to play.

Egrimal

Oct 27, 2017
Aberdeen, Scotland
Oh shit, the internet thinks it looks awful. Tell them it's work in progress and when it's still like that at launch, tell them it's a service game and will improve over time.

Im sure Greenberg will have plenty excuses but given we are still in a pandemic how much improvement is he expecting if his excuse for how it looks now is because we are in a pandemic.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Well Pandemic being what it is, I am still rather surprised (well perhaps not that surprised) that MS showed off Halo running on PC during an Xbox event...

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If there's one thing that Aaron Greenberg is known for, it is his trustworthiness.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
Ok fine, but maybe just include that info? "We wanted to show you the next Halo, but due to the staffing challenges, we are unable to do so with the most recent version. Here is an older version so we can show you gameplay, it will be followed with some screenshots from the current build so you can see how it looks now. We hope to show you a new build in action soon, please enjoy."

Fliep

Banned
Feb 13, 2018
"Listen, we're in the middle of a global pandemic. It's July, we're far from [launch in] Holiday, you're seeing a work-in-progress game."
Why not communicate that before the event?
If they said that it as an old build because of Covid, much of the backlash would have been cut in advance.

Last edited:

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
This is my take and I do not hate Halo but why would you show off the new iteration running on a PC? Im still baffled MS pushes the "most powerful" console line but its literally not showing it. Also it wasnt that impressive from a technical perspective. Again, you would figure Halo of all things to be the title to display your system's capabilities.

Blaming Covid for the showing is a huge reach. By now Sony and MS must have stuff almost done if its gonna be released for fall. I would understand if it was buggy at times but overall it was like nothing mind blowingly specialy.